Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hmm I played him in season 3 and Manamune basically means you can spam r forever. It was pretty loving good iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Anidav posted:

Hmm I played him in season 3 and Manamune basically means you can spam r forever. It was pretty loving good iirc.
Archangel's and Manamune both got nerfed so they weren't basically infinite mana, so you couldn't do that any more for sure even if Kog wasn't in the dumpster right now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I dunno I just remember doing it a few years back and being able to artillery enemy positions forever.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So riot just hosed up kog basically from it? I mean the little dude is pretty mana heavy on his ult so he is basically ruined forever.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Anidav posted:

Even then people just went Athene's because it was broken

If you want to play mid Kog just build Archangel's and/or Luden's, his AD scaling sucks rear end

Bot Kog builds on-hit with Guinsoo's

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
If the last time I seriously played this game was the release of Kled, do I have a chance in hell of picking it back up or am I starting from ground zero?

The one time I tried to come back in the middle of that time period I got auto filled into jungle and got screamed at until everyone rage quit after I died to the new jungle creatures I hadn’t seen before.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

When I get Kog in ARAM I win. Never tried him in a real game though.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Aerox posted:

If the last time I seriously played this game was the release of Kled, do I have a chance in hell of picking it back up or am I starting from ground zero?

The one time I tried to come back in the middle of that time period I got auto filled into jungle and got screamed at until everyone rage quit after I died to the new jungle creatures I hadn’t seen before.

Yeah it's fine, I had a 4 year gap and I'm better now than I was then. I got yelled at a few games but who cares

There's a practice tool now if you want to go over your jungle clears

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Lmao who comes in after a long time and goes 'man they sure ruined league of legends, I can't even play kogmaw with muramana any more!'

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It was great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anidav posted:

It was great.

The answer to this is play one of the few other champs who can abuse Muramana other than Ezreal, ie Taric who is maybe not good but certainly hilarious in top lane with it. There was a brief period recently where I saw Varus players building Muramana as well to offset the mana issues the additional spell flinging they needed to do to make Lethality Varus work caused.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Seriously no one shares my memory of dropping fat damage kog r's on the enemy team and basically showing them acid rain is true fear?

Did thry change his ratios and now you can basically only do wizard mid kog or nothing.

Kog and Kayle in the same basket? Useless now?

Anidav fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 29, 2019

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Kayle is good as always and is getting a rework soon that will probably make her super busted

Kog is good enough to see competitive play, just not, y'know, as a spellcaster. Instead he melts dudes by doubletapping with his W using Guinsoos which is really powerful.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I am still very new (Just hit level 30) an dipped my toes into ranked solo.

I normally main Top Yorick and I do alright, but I am just getting continually facerolled by Riven and Aatrox. I can't ban em both. Any advice?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Riven you can do stuff against as Yorick if you're careful. If you hit L6 before her especially you can just straight up solo kill her with the maiden.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
This is probably not useful for someone who's just hit 30 but if I'm getting slapped around on the reg by someone I'll play a couple of normals with them to see how they work, ranges on abilities, cooldowns etc. Even just doing something as simple as going into the client and carefully reading the ability descriptions sometimes helps me a lot

Better advice is to watch some riven tutorials on youtube.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

So I am still very new (Just hit level 30) an dipped my toes into ranked solo.

I normally main Top Yorick and I do alright, but I am just getting continually facerolled by Riven and Aatrox. I can't ban em both. Any advice?

Gravedigger squad? Gravedigger squad.

The best thing to know about both Riven and Aatrox is you absolutely, 100% can't fight them without ghouls and landing your E. Riven especially is going to want to all-in you as soon as she feels she can get away with it and is far more mobile, so play safe and let her continually push and try and shove you in. If you hit 6 before her maiden is a huge boost to your ability to trade with her, and with maiden's auto-leash you can keep your ult up literally indefinitely.

Aatrox is easier because he has to stay still for his main trading ability (Q). Don't summon ghouls until you think he's going to try and either use Q on minion wave or trade with you, throw E, doubletap Q for a ghoul summon (and to prep empowered auto if he's coming in on you).

Aatrox can't easily deal with your ghouls with his Q because they jump past his sweet spot zone. Riven, the best thing you can do is play safe enough that Riven feels like she absolutely, 100% has to do something stupid to get a kill. If Yorick and Riven go kill-less and even in the same lane, Yorick is more valuable. Use that to your advantage. Force her into a misplay.

If all else fails, you have insane turret taking potential with maiden + q + demolish (You are taking Demolish, right? Take Demolish.) that is always going to be relevant. If people try to ignore you because you're underfed, take towers. Take more towers until people respond to you.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 29, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Seriously no one shares my memory of dropping fat damage kog r's on the enemy team and basically showing them acid rain is true fear?

Did thry change his ratios and now you can basically only do wizard mid kog or nothing.

Kog and Kayle in the same basket? Useless now?

I used to play AP kog a lot before it was popular, then it got popular and was nerfed many, many times, you can still play it but it won't be the monster it used to be.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Monathin posted:

Aatrox can't easily deal with your ghouls with his Q because they jump past his sweet spot zone. Riven, the best thing you can do is play safe enough that Riven feels like she absolutely, 100% has to do something stupid to get a kill. If Yorick and Riven go kill-less and even in the same lane, Yorick is more valuable. Use that to your advantage. Force her into a misplay.

Yeah, Aatrox isn't as big of a problem mainly because I don't see him as often as Riven at my ELO. The main issue with them is that i don't know how to farm against them, because they tend to stay close to their front line, so if I go in for a CS hit, they take a big hunk of life. But I have noticed like you said that Ghouls + E wins the fights I can safely engage for.

quote:

If all else fails, you have insane turret taking potential with maiden + q + demolish (You are taking Demolish, right? Take Demolish.)

Yep, if they leave me unattended in a lane for more than like 30 seconds I am taking large chunks out of their turret. It's just keeping on equal or even close farm when they can bully me so effectively

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Most Rivens if they get one kill on you they'll start playing real dumb and your jungler should be paying attention to the easy gank.

But you gotta play safe enough so that the jungler doesn't think you're a lost cause and ignore you.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Your empowered Q and it being on a short cooldown means you can farm at turret decently. If they're positioning really aggro let them push to your tower. Not only does this mean you can usually keep even in CS, but if they keep playing forward like that, it'll draw Jungler attention. And if you don't immediately sic ghouls on them the ghouls can help waveclear pretty effectively too.

Basically, let them push forward, keep an eye on when your jungler is coming up and noticing theyre super forward, be prepared to at minimum E+W them.

Also if you're in need of actual in-lane sustain, changing runes isn't a bad idea. I usually go Triumph + Coup De Grace as secondary on Yorick but if you're not feeling good in the matchup, go with Tonic + Biscuits. Revitalize isn't a bad idea either, depending.

e: re: Trading in the wave, Riven is harder to deal eith in the creep wave because of shield + stun + combo. She'll do a lot of damage to you if she does it right. Aatrox is relatively easy to dodge because he won't want to burn his dashes too readily, so once you get a feel for his zones you can just smack the minions from the spots you know he can't hit you from.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 29, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Monathin posted:

Your empowered Q and it being on a short cooldown means you can farm at turret decently. If they're positioning really aggro let them push to your tower. Not only does this mean you can usually keep even in CS, but if they keep playing forward like that, it'll draw Jungler attention. And if you don't immediately sic ghouls on them the ghouls can help waveclear pretty effectively too.

Basically, let them push forward, keep an eye on when your jungler is coming up and noticing theyre super forward, be prepared to at minimum E+W them.

Also if you're in need of actual in-lane sustain, changing runes isn't a bad idea. I usually go Triumph + Coup De Grace as secondary on Yorick but if you're not feeling good in the matchup, go with Tonic + Biscuits. Revitalize isn't a bad idea either, depending.

e: re: Trading in the wave, Riven is harder to deal eith in the creep wave because of shield + stun + combo. She'll do a lot of damage to you if she does it right. Aatrox is relatively easy to dodge because he won't want to burn his dashes too readily, so once you get a feel for his zones you can just smack the minions from the spots you know he can't hit you from.

Awesome, thanks. Gravedigger squad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The worst thing about Yorick right now is turret plating means it's basically impossible to take a sub-8 minute first tower any more so I can't beat my personal record of 7 minutes.

Can still do 11 or so minutes though, and get a shitload of gold in the process.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Transient People posted:

Kayle is good as always and is getting a rework soon that will probably make her super busted
I'm mildly terrified of what Riot could do with Kayle. They only just came down hard on the menagerie of problem cases that their recent clutch of reworks caused, and Kayle's track record is just as bad.

It's strange that Kayle hasn't popped up at all lately given that itemization has seemed friendly to her for a while. (Guinsoo's/Nashor's hayday seems like it should've been a freebie for her)

Malah fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 29, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Seems like Riot has given a hotfix buff to Sylas. I don't know why they give so much credence to winrates on release. We might see another situation where they overbuff to compensate a weak early winrate.

I actually think he is really strong as long as enemy has at least 2 good ults which you can rotate between.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Malah posted:

I'm mildly terrified of what Riot could do with Kayle. They only just came down hard on the menagerie of problem cases that their recent clutch of reworks caused, and Kayle's track record is just as bad.

It's strange that Kayle hasn't popped up at all lately given that itemization has seemed friendly to her for a while. (Guinsoo's/Nashor's hayday seems like it should've been a freebie for her)

its because shes boring as dirt and only has 1 spell

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kayle is one of the scariest champions to run into a good player of, along with cassio, draven, and shaco.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Seems like Riot has given a hotfix buff to Sylas. I don't know why they give so much credence to winrates on release. We might see another situation where they overbuff to compensate a weak early winrate.

I actually think he is really strong as long as enemy has at least 2 good ults which you can rotate between.

Yeah, a bit surprising to me. He does get cyberbullied pretty badly by mages, but he absolutely fucks up melee matchups hardcore. Might have to hit his Armor or his W CD early on if they want him to have a more even laning experience.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i do not like sylas ult steal thing, but that may just be from my own personal experience of playing with/against him where i confirmation bias the times the steal goes through. i think the range may be too high, and a reasonable balance patch is lowering the range since sylas has such strong gap close options anyway.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

foutre posted:

:words: and videos
Fun Fact: if you hit R and then Flash, R lands where you flashed to. There were a couple times in your video where you used flash to get close and then R (and got CCed immediately after flash and had to wait) where you could abuse this.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mikujin posted:

Fun Fact: if you hit R and then Flash, R lands where you flashed to. There were a couple times in your video where you used flash to get close and then R (and got CCed immediately after flash and had to wait) where you could abuse this.

the old nasty strikes again.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i don't think its been said recently - they should remove the topmost lane and any heroes that go up there from the game, wholesale

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

strong bird posted:

i don't think its been said recently - they should remove the topmost lane and any heroes that go up there from the game, wholesale

You'll take Quinn from my cold, dead hands.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

strong bird posted:

ridiculous

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

strong bird posted:

please leave tank annie alone

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

way to feed the troll guys :eng99:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i like trolls

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
how do you do a ping to call out that a specific enemy is out of vision? I swear I've seen this before, but all I know how to do is the generic "enemy missing" ping.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't believe you can do that, most people ping missing and it's usually a good idea to ping where you think an enemy might be and who you think they're heading to to be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Ping them being alive or their level