Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Got my color Retrofighter controllers in:

I was more excited about the purple (have become fond of Atomic Purple for my N64 controller, GBC and even custom joycon shells), however its a little more "frosted" than I hoped compared to the more translucent atomic purple color of the original controller. Was between orange and green for my second controller and am glad I picked the green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I went with the green to go with my gray one, should be showing up tomorrow. Nothing will ever top the old Extreme Green for me.

Played through Guardian Heroes on the Saturn with a friend of mine yesterday. It's a really solid beat-em-up with a cool special move system.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Mine arrived today but I haven’t had a chance to open them. Have their been any problems I should keep an eye out for?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Agrias120 posted:

Mine arrived today but I haven’t had a chance to open them. Have their been any problems I should keep an eye out for?

I heard the D-pads are kind of bad on the initial run. Like, they were a little too sensitive so you could hit down when pressing right. Don’t know if they ever changed them.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

GutBomb posted:

I heard the D-pads are kind of bad on the initial run. Like, they were a little too sensitive so you could hit down when pressing right. Don’t know if they ever changed them.

I haven't run into any issues with my new green one playing The New Tetris (I think that and Dr. Mario are the only N64 games I have that actually use the d-pad). I don't remember if I had any issues with my gray one either though, that was also a kickstarter edition.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Replying to posts from a few pages ago because I can and the subject interested me:

Phantasium posted:

OG Tomb Raider is fantastic.
:yeah:

Random Stranger posted:

When the first Tomb Raider came out I thought, "Wow, someone moved Prince of Persia to 3D." Then they actually moved Prince of Persia to 3D and we don't talk about that game.
So here's a positive opinion I hold that nevertheless people will find :wrong:: Prince of Persia 3D is weirdly kind of fun to me. It scratches the same itch that the first Tomb Raider did for slow-paced methodical platforming where getting cocky and not thinking through your movements carefully would result in a quick death. I even thought the graphics were pretty decent for a late-90s PC game.

But at the same time, I can't deny that despite liking it, it really is a pretty bad game. The combat, in particular, is absolute garbage that I only look past because the game has quicksave/quickload keys within a short distance of the keys I use to normally play the game, so I can save-scum difficult encounters. There's this whole weird system involving feinting and blocking specific directions and you can use different kinds of weapons but honestly I couldn't figure any of it out barring the blocking-specific-directions thing (and that attacking certain directions is consistently slower but stronger than others, but so much slower that it's often better to spam the quick-but-weak direction instead). There's also way too much animation put into basic things like drawing your weapon - you'll do it super slowly then do some sort of weird action pose before you can actually throw an attack, while your opponent has already had theirs drawn, run up to you and started hacking away at your flesh. I don't know how much of this comes from the original Prince of Persia, which I confessedly never put much time into (I did nab the SNES version on the Wii VC last year at least) but what little time I did put into it revealed I hate the combat there about as much (but the animations were much more no-nonsense). That said, I'm willing to assume it's way, way worse in 3D, since people at least tolerate the combat in the original games.

Also I will never beat the final boss because the time limit is invisible to me and despite ostensibly having about two minutes to finish that stage, I always seem to run out of it way sooner than that. I do know some moving platforms in earlier stages (like the floating ruins) were glitching out when I used dgVoodoo2, where they'd move oddly slowly and the Prince would refuse to properly climb onto them (forcing me to temporarily disable the wrapper so I could get past the problem spot), so it could be another symptom of whatever underlying issue with dgVoodoo2 and this game is causing those issues - but when the alternative is a sub-60 FPS framerate on an i7-7700K and a GTX1080 that refuses to run above 1024x768 and also causes all sounds in the level to play at full volume regardless of distance from the camera, I don't think I'd play it vanilla regardless. Besides, the combat is garbage, so I probably couldn't beat the final boss before the time limit was hit even if it were performing normally.

In spite of all this, I still have a somewhat positive view of the thing. I don't know what it is; I just have fond memories of the ridiculously-tall library, the excessively-green docks, or even some of the more maligned stages like the weird-as-hell dirigible that you spend 2-3 levels climbing. Guilty pleasure, I guess.

al-azad posted:

You were fortunate to not have this curse visited upon you but now the ark is open.

https://youtu.be/OaoUCUfCoQg

There was a Dreamcast port that fixed most of the issues but by then Tomb Raider Last Revelation was out, the pinnacle of classic Tomb Raider style design before dual analog controls made navigating 3D spaces intuitive.
I actually tried the Dreamcast version too, just for comparison's sake. For some reason, I actually don't like it nearly as much as the PC version. It has some good ideas, like being able to store potions for later use, but then the awful combat moves significantly faster than it is in the PC version, and I found it too difficult to keep up with to clear the first stage. Doesn't help that all saving is now done at fixed checkpoint locations, no quick-saving whatsoever - understandable given we're talking console and not PC, but I find having that buffer really improves enjoyment of these games, and while Tomb Raider doesn't suffer too badly from using Save Crystals instead of quicksaves, PoP3D absolutely does. (Also they either moved or entirely got rid of the first stage's max-health-increase potion, which makes me annoyed, because having a long health bar is kind of a requirement for me to get through that combat.)

I still need to get into Last Revelation. I got the PC version off of GOG, the PS1 version off of PSN and the DC version this past MAGfest, but haven't really sat down much with any of them. I've heard it's something of a return-to-form closer to the spirit of the first game, while keeping many of the new moves and other niceties from the sequels - Lara in a desolate tomb filled with wildlife, traps and puzzles, and less mafiosi with pistols every ten seconds. (To be clear, I liked what I played of Tomb Raider 2, but man, they really ramped up the combat, and while Tomb Raider combat's a far sight better than PoP3D's ever will be, it's still not the strong suit of the series for me.)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I was more excited about the purple (have become fond of Atomic Purple for my N64 controller, GBC and even custom joycon shells), however its a little more "frosted" than I hoped compared to the more translucent atomic purple color of the original controller. Was between orange and green for my second controller and am glad I picked the green.

I got my set in today. I was trying to match my original Smash player color set (Blue, Red, Yellow, Green), but there was no Yellow (or Extreme Green) so I got the Orange one instead. They all look great, and the blue one even matches my Blue/White N64.

I just need to decide what to do with my original 2 gray ones. I'll probably hang onto them in case I decide to give my nephew an N64 somewhere down the line.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GutBomb posted:

The only thing I heard about was a problem with the analog stick making contact with the L button if it was pressed and you were trying to go diagonally left and up.

They offered either a replacement or just the parts you needed to fix the problem, I went with the parts and fixed it pretty easily, they sent a completely different shell and some other buttons.

Granted I haven't exactly played a lot of N64 games since that controller came out so I barely noticed anything to begin with, or since.

Shadow Hog posted:

(To be clear, I liked what I played of Tomb Raider 2, but man, they really ramped up the combat, and while Tomb Raider combat's a far sight better than PoP3D's ever will be, it's still not the strong suit of the series for me.)

Having finished 2 now, the Temple of Xian is an incredibly good level, and it's largely due to being a giant tomb with absolutely no gun wielding assholes.

And then a level later they introduce dudes that throw knives at you that you actually physically can dodge and I'm just wondering why they're being introduced in the last real level because I wouldn't have hated fighting guys all the time if their projectiles just didn't instantly hit me the second we have an unblocked line between us.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Phantasium posted:

The only thing I heard about was a problem with the analog stick making contact with the L button if it was pressed and you were trying to go diagonally left and up.

They offered either a replacement or just the parts you needed to fix the problem, I went with the parts and fixed it pretty easily, they sent a completely different shell and some other buttons.

Granted I haven't exactly played a lot of N64 games since that controller came out so I barely noticed anything to begin with, or since.
That's also a combination that would probably never come up in actual play, aside from maybe some alternate FPS control schemes.

With the original controller, I did notice the stick's range doesn't quite match a new Nintendo one in the controller test ROM, it's pretty close but has a bit more distance on the right side. I don't think it makes any real difference, and it's a lot closer than using one of the replacement GC-style sticks on an original controller. I haven't tried the Mario Party games with them, that seems to be where the stick issues become a problem.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Kid Fenris posted:

Hi Score Girl is awful, but it works as a stealth mockery of its subject because every character who enjoys video games is a boring and terrible person

look at this scorchingly hot take and how bad it is

:colbert:

e : also I strongly recommend anyone who enjoyed the show read the manga, there's a lot more of it than where the show leaves off.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Phantasium posted:

Having finished 2 now, the Temple of Xian is an incredibly good level, and it's largely due to being a giant tomb with absolutely no gun wielding assholes.

And then a level later they introduce dudes that throw knives at you that you actually physically can dodge and I'm just wondering why they're being introduced in the last real level because I wouldn't have hated fighting guys all the time if their projectiles just didn't instantly hit me the second we have an unblocked line between us.

Tomb Raider 2 (and further) disappointed me severely by focusing so heavily on shooty shoot the gun mans. Really takes you out of the whole "exploring an untouched tomb to find things" headspace.

But if you want a classic but updated TR experience, Tomb Raider Anniversary is really the way to go, bugs and all. I love that fuckin' remake so much!

e : sorry for double post meant that to be an edit OH WELL

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I played through Anniversary right after I finally finished the original, because I played through both back in the day and didn't finish them then. So I cheated and made it so I started with the director's commentary and was enjoying it until I got to a commentary crystal that said something like "our focus for Egypt was on traps" and I'm like, what do you mean, you're remaking the game.

And then I found out what they meant, they added a bunch of garbage trap sections between the major areas in the Egypt levels and I thought they were so bad and finicky that I quit playing then and there and haven't gone back. Which sucks, because I was really enjoying it up until that point.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I can't say I really had a problem with just about anything they added, the controls felt so much easier. The big negative in Anniversary were the QTEs - and I actually like QTEs - they weren't particularly difficult, just kinda dumb and pointless. :shrug:

I really enjoyed the grappling rope tho.

also Shadow of the Tomb Raider was absolutely the best of the rebooted series so far for me - they finally gave me more/better tombs and puzzles and less shooty shoot, I was so happy! Also I should load that up and check out the additional tomb DLC so far... hmm... distracted by RE2HD... hmmm...

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 29, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Everytime I'd jump onto a pole there would be a delay, and the squash traps were so specific that with that delay you'd get squashed, and heaven help you if she didn't jump onto it just right and had to push an extra button to correct it (which was never fast enough).

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Caitlin posted:

look at this scorchingly hot take and how bad it is

:colbert:

e : also I strongly recommend anyone who enjoyed the show read the manga, there's a lot more of it than where the show leaves off.

Where can I find the manga? Is it available in english?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Where can I find the manga? Is it available in english?

Eh, I don't think it's gotten an official release yet but it's definitely been translated up to chapter 52 (which just got released recently).

https://www.mangareader.net/high-score-girl

That being said it (was) a licensing nightmare that had the police raiding Square-Enix offices at the behest of SNK, but they settled and are able to reprint now. I think that negatively impacted it's chances at English official releases, but it could still happen. For now, here you go :toot:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, like I've said previously, I'm well surprised that the anime adaptation retained so much. There's all these references to SF2, but also the also-rans of the era (World Fighters) and the various consoles+games. I expected them to use generic stand ins to avoid all that.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I read a few chapters of that, and was a bit confused by what seemed to be versus matches played via networked cabs? In 1991?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ofecks posted:

I read a few chapters of that, and was a bit confused by what seemed to be versus matches played via networked cabs? In 1991?
Do you mean the single-seater candy cabs that do Vs play? Instead of the side by side cabs?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ofecks posted:

They aren’t networked. They are literally just one cabinet with 2 screens (showing the same thing) and 2 control panels meant for versus games. They were a pretty common variant of the candy cab during the fighting game craze.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ofecks posted:

You've already got your answer from a better nerd than I, but Virtua Racing cabs were networked in 1992, including "broadcast monitors" featuring Virt McPolygon, quadrilateral sportscaster.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Ofecks posted:

Super Street Fighter 2 could do four-player tournament mode with networked single-player cabinets in Japan in its initial release back in 1992. That’s where the points for First Attack, etc. came from, points were used as a tiebreaker in tournaments.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You've already got your answer from a better nerd than I, but Virtua Racing cabs were networked in 1992, including "broadcast monitors" featuring Virt McPolygon, quadrilateral sportscaster.

I thought I was pretty up on my 90's game trivia, but I'd never heard of that :stare:.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, like I've said previously, I'm well surprised that the anime adaptation retained so much. There's all these references to SF2, but also the also-rans of the era (World Fighters) and the various consoles+games. I expected them to use generic stand ins to avoid all that.

Using real video games for cheap "Hey, remember THIS?" bait is the only thing Hi Score Girl does competently, so it's no surprise to me that the show integrates as many actual titles as possible.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I can't stand the protagonist, seriously. I just skip to the videogames parts. Also the ending song is neat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Negrostrike posted:

I can't stand the protagonist, seriously.
Dude, what did Oono do to you? :mad:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

guile turtling, clearly

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
What's this thread's cutoff date on "retro?" It dawned on me that my old rule of "ten years" would mean that the Wii has been retro for a minute, and I cannot cope.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Two gens ago seems about right to be. I don't know how we take into account over locked Xbox/PlayStation though. Half a gen?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

Two gens ago seems about right to be. I don't know how we take into account over locked Xbox/PlayStation though. Half a gen?

Which is still the Wii. :v:

There's no official thread rule and pretty much everyone defines it slightly differently. I remember in previous threads there was lots of hesitation over the edge cases and we're moving into that with the 360 and PS3 where it's hard to say that Perfect Dark Zero is not retro (wow, the early line up for the 360 is terrible) but also kind of difficult to say Dark Souls 2 is. Basically, go with what you feel is appropriate and don't worry too much about the details.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'd say PS2/Xbox/GC/DC era is retro. PS3/X360/Wii onwards still feels recent to me.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Xbox 360 games that came out during the blade dashboard era: retro

Xbox 360 games that came out during the new Xbox experience era: not retro

jk it doesn't matter just post about fun games you like to play

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Wii is retro by just about any definition; It's two generations behind the current console in its line, and as of a few hours ago was fully retired with the death of the Wii Shop Channel.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I had 200 Wii Shop points that I couldn't spend. There are apparently a few 100 point dlc items but I don't own the games.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

RZA Encryption posted:

Xbox 360 games that came out during the blade dashboard era: retro

Xbox 360 games that came out during the new Xbox experience era: not retro

jk it doesn't matter just post about fun games you like to play

Actually didn't the original 360 model not have an HDMI port? No HDMI = retro. This tracks for me.

Anyway, I'm playing a bunch of Wii games again since I modded my Wii U. It feels really weird to revisit these controls. Such a weird time for Nintendo games. Galaxy is still fantastic, and I STILL get a kick out of doing a long jump on a small planet and literally going into orbit around it.

Also I'm bummed because I dug up my old rock band instruments but I can't download or buy any new songs. :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Also I'm bummed because I dug up my old rock band instruments but I can't download or buy any new songs. :argh:

Buy Rock Band 4 and whatever the follow-up to the console you have is, and if that's an Xbox One get the instrument adapter.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

univbee posted:

Buy Rock Band 4 and whatever the follow-up to the console you have is, and if that's an Xbox One get the instrument adapter.

I have them on the Wii...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

I have them on the Wii...

Oh wow, didn't realize Rock Band was on there too. So much for that, then, unless you start all over on PS4 or XB1.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

univbee posted:

Oh wow, didn't realize Rock Band was on there too. So much for that, then, unless you start all over on PS4 or XB1.

Hell, even Rock Band 3 came out on Wii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I actually am enough of big weirdo the I picked up the rock band pro guitar (it had midi out that I can use on my synths! It was pretty cheap!) just this week, along with a copy of Dj hero because I never played that back in the day even though I love dumb peripherals and rhythm games. DJ hero is really fun, it's a shame Activision totally flooded the rhythm game market and drowned any chance of it catching on like guitar hero did.