Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What's the deal with Michters? I'd never heard of it until I tried some in a bar and it was decent.

Wikipedia claims the distillery has been closed for decades, but the whiskey still exists with the brand. I haven't seen much info on what it is or where it comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

99% likely to be from MGP.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That was my thought too.

It would be a decent intro bourbon. No idea what a bottle costs at retail, but I wouldn't value it over $30 (about what 4R Small Batch runs, which is a better whiskey).

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Isn't all michters stuff listed as kentucky as state of distillation and therefore not MGP? Also apparently they built a new distillery a couple years ago but it'll be a while before they'd be selling anything from there

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Isn't all michters stuff listed as kentucky as state of distillation and therefore not MGP? Also apparently they built a new distillery a couple years ago but it'll be a while before they'd be selling anything from there

Going off of Google images some of them are labeled Kentucky and others aren't. So maybe?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Michter's is sourced but they'll start bottling their own soon.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enigma posted:

Wikipedia claims the distillery has been closed for decades, but the whiskey still exists with the brand. I haven't seen much info on what it is or where it comes from.

80% of American whiskey brands are just relabeled stuff made by a handful of huge producers. Michters falls into that category.

Sourced whiskey that's "95% rye" or made in Indiana is MGP. Sourced whiskey that's made in Tennessee is generally Dickel. Sourced whiskey made in Kentucky is probably Brown-Forman or Beam, but it could also be someone else like Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, or Four Roses.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 21, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

80% of American whiskey brands are just relabeled stuff made by a handful of huge producers. Michters falls into that category.

Sourced whiskey that's "95% rye" or made in Indiana is MGP. Sourced whiskey that's made in Tennessee is generally Dickel. Sourced whiskey made in Kentucky is probably Brown-Forman or Beam, but it could also be someone else like Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, or Four Roses.

I honestly can't care much, Michter's #1 is the only rye I can find locally and it's tasty. I might be able to order better at extravagant prices.

I consider it like a scottish blended something.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yeah I couldn't care less either. It was just odd I didn't see much info. Some brands, like High West, are quite transparent about sourcing, which is nice. MPG makes good stuff.

Except for anything Terrapure :barf:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MGP is fine whiskey, it's just a shame that brands are essentially being dishonest. Technically they're not lying but they choose the wording on their labelling very carefully.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I’ve been lucky in the last few state lotteries, picking up the three bottles in the middle. I flirted with the idea of selling, but I’ve realized I will probably never get my hands on another bottle of Pappy so I am going to go ahead and start a collection. Looking for thoughts on the Old Fitzgerald - I’ve never even tried OG OF, how is it?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Vox Nihili posted:

The same is true of Irish Whiskey although much like a lot of other places there seems to be a boom in new distilleries there.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Is anyone in the NYC area and going to the Jersey City Whiskey Festival on February 1st?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I had a bit of a tasting/gift exchange with a friend of mine.

He happened to have the Connor McGreggor Irish Whisky. I assumed it was sensationalist swill, but in trying it, it wasn't bad. It had an odd peaty-ness that I simply didn't expect and was really smooth. You can taste the Irish Whisky roots, but it has it's other foot in scotch territory. Anyone else try this stuff?
https://www.caskers.com/proper-no-t...OgaAkjUEALw_wcB

I'm curious what you picked out of it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I need suggestions on a major whisky purchase. We’ve been going through old junk in the house and selling on FB marketplace to just clean up a bit, and my wife and I each agreed to keep a portion to spend and put the rest in savings.

I have about $240 to spend. Knowing that most bottles I buy are <$50 , I’d like to maybe splurge for a bottle or two that are normally out of my price range.

My favorite bottle of late is Aberlour A’bunadh Batch 47, so I’m looking for something similar, I think.

Here are some options with prices for my local shop to order for me:

Glendronach 18: ~$143
Glendronach CS: ~$88
Glendronach 12: ~$53
Glenfarclas 105: ~$80
Glenfarclas 21: ~$110

I’m kind of thinking Glendronach 18 + Glendronach CS.

Any advice? My other option would be to pickup like 4-5 ‘lower end’ bottles with some more variety. I don’t love peated stuff though, Oban 14 and lagavulin 16 I like, but do not like laphroaig or the more aggressive stuff.

Currently I have glenmo 18, lasanta, a’bunadh, oban 14, balvenie 14 CC, laphroaig 10, JW black, Dalmore Portwood, glenfiddich 12 & 15, glen logie(lol), macallan 12 triple cask. I think that’s all.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I have had batch 1 and batch 2 of the Cask Strength and both were very good, very rich. Can't say anything about the quality of batches 3-7, but you really can't go wrong with Glendronach.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
The prices for my province's yearly bourbon lottery have finally been announced along with stock numbers. I'm not exactly sure what's worth it here so I'd like some advice?

Keep in mind these are Canadian dollars (1CAD = 0.75USD).
Of the bourbons I've tried, I liked Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare 10 the best if that helps at all.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The GT Stagg, Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac 18, Pappy 12 and Pappy 15 would be my picks at those prices, especially the first three.

If you can get them at basically MSRP though, is the any reason you wouldn't enter the lottery for every bottle?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Personally, the WLW and Lot B would be my first choices but if take any of them at CD$.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ReaperUnreal posted:

The prices for my province's yearly bourbon lottery have finally been announced along with stock numbers. I'm not exactly sure what's worth it here so I'd like some advice?

Keep in mind these are Canadian dollars (1CAD = 0.75USD).
Of the bourbons I've tried, I liked Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare 10 the best if that helps at all.

WLW or GTS are great, universally-celebrated options that you have a decent chance of getting due to the larger allocation numbers. If you don't like cask strength bottles they might be a little challenging for you. Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac 18, and most of the Van Winkle line are closer to standard proof and may therefore be more approachable for you.

If you want to go to full flipper you could grab a PVW20 and trade it/sell it for some USD$1,000+ worth of stuff. Also, looks like you guys got a ton of Lot B for some reason--I think that trades at around USD$450, so you could always trade it for GTS (trades @ ~$400) or something, keeping in mind that doing so is probably technically illegal.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

I need suggestions on a major whisky purchase. We’ve been going through old junk in the house and selling on FB marketplace to just clean up a bit, and my wife and I each agreed to keep a portion to spend and put the rest in savings.

I have about $240 to spend. Knowing that most bottles I buy are <$50 , I’d like to maybe splurge for a bottle or two that are normally out of my price range.

My favorite bottle of late is Aberlour A’bunadh Batch 47, so I’m looking for something similar, I think.

Here are some options with prices for my local shop to order for me:

Glendronach 18: ~$143
Glendronach CS: ~$88
Glendronach 12: ~$53
Glenfarclas 105: ~$80
Glenfarclas 21: ~$110

I’m kind of thinking Glendronach 18 + Glendronach CS.

Any advice? My other option would be to pickup like 4-5 ‘lower end’ bottles with some more variety. I don’t love peated stuff though, Oban 14 and lagavulin 16 I like, but do not like laphroaig or the more aggressive stuff.

Currently I have glenmo 18, lasanta, a’bunadh, oban 14, balvenie 14 CC, laphroaig 10, JW black, Dalmore Portwood, glenfiddich 12 & 15, glen logie(lol), macallan 12 triple cask. I think that’s all.

I'd certainly take the Glendronach CS, I don't know which batch they are up to now but all of the ones I have tried so far have been great. I'd probably go for the Glenfarclas 21 to sit alongside it. I'd normally take Glendronach over Glenfarclas for a big sherried whisky, but the Glenfarclas 21 is a really classy dram (I prefer it to their 25y/o) and I find the Glendronach 18 to be a bit too woody.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Just got back from a scotch tasting hosted by my main local liquor store and Distell Group. They had a U.S. marketing rep there as well as one of their Scottish staff who I think does the mash. We got to sample a almost full line up of Deanston, Bunnahabhain , Ledaig and Tobermory. The winners for me were the Deanston 20 (Oloroso), Deanston 18 (Bourbon finish), Bunnahabhain (2008 Bordeaux matured) and Tobermory 21 (Manzanilla finished). Deanston Virgin Oak was a super big surprise too. Super easy drinking and pleasant. I was tasting but not drinking so I was spitting the whole time. But I was literally the only person doing that. Not sure how some of those guys are getting home after that event. I think they'll keep Uber busy.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 24, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I’m going to go with the Glendronach CS for sure, then I just need to decide between ‘farclas 21 or Glendronach 18. One would save me about $50 , but r/scotch just rave about the Glendronach 18.

I’ll let you know what I decide!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

Just got back from a scotch tasting hosted by my main local liquor store and Distell Group. They had a U.S. marketing rep there as well as one of their Scottish staff who I think does the mash. We got to sample a almost full line up of Deanston, Bunnahabhain , Ledaig and Tobermory. The winners for me were the Deanston 20 (Oloroso), Deanston 18 (Bourbon finish), Bunnahabhain (2008 Bordeaux matured) and Tobermory 21 (Manzanilla finished). Deanston Virgin Oak was a super big surprise too. Super easy drinking and pleasant. I was tasting but not drinking so I was spitting the whole time. But I was literally the only person doing that. Not sure how some of those guys are getting home after that event. I think they'll keep Uber busy.

Jealous that you got to try the Bordeaux-aged Bunna! I've also really liked the Deanstons I've tried as well (admittedly only 2). Sounds like a good time.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Yuns posted:

I wish we got more from these distilleries in Australia. I've had a few Bunnahabhain expressions over the last couple of years that were just awesome.

sorry for the poor quality image, but I got to try this the other day.

It's AU$2999 retail. I sure wouldn't pay that but I appreciated the chance to try it. I've had 4 (I think) Port Ellen expressions now, of varying ages. I jotted down a few quick notes on what people were throwing around about this one:

Nose:

Bacon, Maple Syrup, Salt, Cured Meat - Salami, Fennel, Cut Grass, Sea Spray

Palate:

Dry but not drying, reminiscent of Caol Ila, no fruit, thin - very little viscosity. Cooked Apple (ed. no fruit?) Zero burn, super easy drinking, ashy but not iodine.

Finish:

Vegetal, tobacco, lingering but subtle. No heat at all. Could drink this all day. A very well aged whisky.

I have a few thoughts about Port Ellen in general and what Diageo is doing by reopening the distillery, but I'll keep them to myself for now...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Vox Nihili posted:

Jealous that you got to try the Bordeaux-aged Bunna! I've also really liked the Deanstons I've tried as well (admittedly only 2). Sounds like a good time.
my first sip took me off guard. It was like getting punched in the face by a Bordeaux. Such strong initial notes of fruit from the Bordeaux moving into the more traditional Scotch notes. An unpeated Islay finished in Bordeaux is really interesting and novel to me

edit:
I also tried all the various finishes to the Ledaig but was not a fan. The strong smoky peatiness really muted the different finishes for me and made them too similar. Really expected more from the Ledaig Marsala.

I initially wasn't a fan of the Deanston 20 (Oloroso) but at the recommendation of the Distell guys I added some water which really opened it up amazingly well. I wasn't a believer in adding water but it was transformative in this case. Wonderful strong chocolate notes. Deanston 20 is way different than the other Deanstons which are more fruit forward though.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 24, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yuns posted:

my first sip took me off guard. It was like getting punched in the face by a Bordeaux. Such strong initial notes of fruit from the Bordeaux moving into the more traditional Scotch notes. An unpeated Islay finished in Bordeaux is really interesting and novel to me

Is it good enough to bother getting as a present for instance? I can think of an upcoming occasion where it would probably be very suitable, but it's gonna be a bit of work to get (and probably close to $400).

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

Is it good enough to bother getting as a present for instance? I can think of an upcoming occasion where it would probably be very suitable, but it's gonna be a bit of work to get (and probably close to $400).
i think it would be gift worthy with the following caveat. The problem with getting it as a gift is that I can see many people loving it but also some people hating it. It has tons of character but that may make it polarizing. Most of us at the tasting loved it. I think you would have the know the tastes of the recipient really well to get it for them.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yuns posted:

i think it would be gift worthy with the following caveat. The problem with getting it as a gift is that I can see many people loving it but also some people hating it. It has tons of character but that may make it polarizing. Most of us at the tasting loved it. I think you would have the know the tastes of the recipient really well to get it for them.

Yeah, I was kinda worried about that exact thing. Thanks for the tip, I'll think on it a bit.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I’m going to go with the Glendronach CS for sure, then I just need to decide between ‘farclas 21 or Glendronach 18. One would save me about $50 , but r/scotch just rave about the Glendronach 18.

I’ll let you know what I decide!

If it's in your price range and you can find it, the Glendronach 21 'Parliament' is absolutely incredible even though it has nothing to do with George Clinton.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Infinite Karma posted:

The GT Stagg, Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac 18, Pappy 12 and Pappy 15 would be my picks at those prices, especially the first three.

If you can get them at basically MSRP though, is the any reason you wouldn't enter the lottery for every bottle?

Thanks for the feedback, I know roughly what I'll enter now. I'm not entering for every bottle because I don't want to deal with a secondary market I want to actually drink these.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
So I decided to try Old Overholt Bonded Rye, which is basically Jim Beam's answer to Heaven Hill's Rittenhouse BiB (both "barely legal" 51% mashbill rye at 100 proof and 4 years of age, ~$20). Old Overholt isn't new, but the bonded version just came out last year.

My impression: This is just an inferior Rittenhouse. Rougher, younger tasting, maaaaybe a bit more of that herbaceous rye element, but overall a letdown.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How does being aged in sherry casks affect the whiskey? I'm not too familiar with sherry, but from the sherry wines that I've tasted, I'm not a real fan. The ones I've tried were super salty, oily, viscous but more salty than anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vox Nihili posted:

My impression: This is just an inferior Rittenhouse. Rougher, younger tasting, maaaaybe a bit more of that herbaceous rye element, but overall a letdown.
I picked it up for the novelty and I agree. Plus, it's $25 here which is crazy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

obi_ant posted:

How does being aged in sherry casks affect the whiskey? I'm not too familiar with sherry, but from the sherry wines that I've tasted, I'm not a real fan. The ones I've tried were super salty, oily, viscous but more salty than anything.

uhhhh were you drinking cooking sherry?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Halloween Jack posted:

I picked it up for the novelty and I agree. Plus, it's $25 here which is crazy.

It's kinda nice in drinks when you don't want as much spice. I think it'd also be nice for some of the infusions that are in the Death + Co. book, like chamomile.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Well. I'm completely snowed in.

Looks like I'll have to survive on Kirkland for now.

A handle of Kirkland.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/weather/michigan-gov-whitmer-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-extreme-cold-temperatures

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

obi_ant posted:

That's some funky sounding sherry!

Anyway, the sherry cask industry that provides barrels for aging is pretty bizarre. Basically, the demand for sherry barrels outstrips the actual production of sherry, so there's an entire industry around producing "sherry" barrels by basically seasoning them for some time with inferior sherry, then dumping that sherry into the next barrel, and so on until the sherry itself is simply discarded at the end. Most sherry-aged whiskey is produced in such barrels.

The whiskey doesn't end up tasting all that much like sherry itself, for what it's worth. It picks up some wine notes and depending on the type of sherry (usually Oloroso for dry and Pedro Ximenez for sweet) may sweeten (quite) a bit or pick up nutty, tannic, or other elements. The wine notes can vary substantially and may integrate well or poorly with the underlying whiskey, or dominate it entirely. It's increasingly popular to use barrels other than sherry for wine aging/finishing, too, though most of the flagship products are still aged in regular old sherry barrels.

Some additional elements: whether a whiskey is fully aged in a sherry cask or simply "finished" in one for a few months, whether the sherry cask was reused or a first use, and, in batches, what proportion was aged in sherry. A large number of Scotch and Irish whiskies use a proportion of sherry and ex-bourbon barrels that isn't always disclosed, so you may be drinking sherry-aged whiskey without even knowing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Well. I'm completely snowed in.

Looks like I'll have to survive on Kirkland for now.

A handle of Kirkland.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/weather/michigan-gov-whitmer-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-extreme-cold-temperatures

SE Michigan here too friend. Sadly, I still have to work tomorrow.