Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Cutting costs is a way to increase profits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Cutting costs is a way to increase profits

Cutting costs is also a way to decrease profits. For instance laying off salespeople will cut costs and highly likely also cut profit (assuming you're actually selling something someone wants). Same for decreasing inventory etc.

Then again most businesses are selling something no-one actually wants or needs so :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yes, and it also has other effects. spending $10M to make $1M profit is different from spending $1M to make $1M profit. cost base matters.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
"cutting costs" is good inasmuch as it reminds the worker that they only exist at the beneficence of the Job Creator and helps to prevent the worker from getting uppity and thinking the deserve a tiny sliver of the value they create

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

yes, and it also has other effects. spending $10M to make $1M profit is different from spending $1M to make $1M profit. cost base matters.

income is not the same as profit :eng101:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tetracube posted:

income is not the same as profit :eng101:

...of course not? I use “make” to mean profit, like “I made $50 on that deal”.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Cutting costs is also a way to decrease profits. For instance laying off salespeople will cut costs and highly likely also cut profit (assuming you're actually selling something someone wants). Same for decreasing inventory etc.

Then again most businesses are selling something no-one actually wants or needs so :shrug:

Huh? If you lay off 20% of your sales staff, you get the remaining 80% will work twice as hard out of fear of losing their jobs. Layoffs actually increase sales.

Less inventory means lower costs which mean that you can lower the price on your items. This means that you can outbid competitors on contracts and embed yourself into customer's businesses as a "preferred provider" and get guaranteed sales even as your service quality and delivery times go to poo poo.

I'll take my consulting fee now.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

like, you're right, but CEOs are perfect genius boys who cannot be wrong so when they want a bigger yacht than their hated neighbor they'll cut costs to the detriment of their own company

they lose millions, have to get a smaller yacht, and get shuffled over to another board of directors for a lifetime of being bitter that they're stuck in the 2%

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Peanut Butler posted:

like, you're right, but CEOs are perfect genius boys who cannot be wrong so when they want a bigger yacht than their hated neighbor they'll cut costs to the detriment of their own company

they lose millions, have to get a smaller yacht, and get shuffled over to another board of directors for a lifetime of being bitter that they're stuck in the 2%

actually, the opposite of this is true

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

half of the private equity fund strats are slightly more complicated versions of "buy a company and burn it down for the insurance money"

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Tastykake posted:

half of the private equity fund strats are slightly more complicated versions of "buy a company and burn it down for the insurance money"

its usually a debt clearance exercise ala toys r us

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

as i said, slightly more complicated

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Chomp8645 posted:

"Are profits up? What about costs down? I dunno, guess I'll ask my employees"

- An Owner.

the one realistic part of that picture

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Plus companies are only interested in short term profits. Layoffs may bite you in the rear end eventually but as long as the next quarterly report looks good who cares. Even if the company starts going under just do what's happening to Sears. Borrow money from a finance firm you own with company property as collateral, set your firm as the primary debtor, then let the company crash and sell the remains.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tastykake posted:

well I mean if they gently caress up reeeaaaally badly they might have to go from a finance CEO to the executive board of Casey's General Store or something, seething that they had to sell the smallest of their six houses

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cutting costs is easy, just get rid of the employees being paid the most to do the least essential work.

Thankfully, they all seem to have tagged themselves by putting a 'C' at the beginning of their title.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Tetracube posted:

That guy looked at this and decided "I'm going to do all these things"
Fixed

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
just lol if you would ever go to a dentist

the only time I went in my adult life they made up something called literally "deep pockets" that they wanted at least $2k to fix

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Beef posted:

I don't understand "The suggestion box is empty!"

Why do they wish their employees would say that?

Because everything is literally the very best it could be, so there is no reason to suggest anything!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

A real business doesn't give a poo poo about costs as long as profits are up.
business owners are in an adversarial position against the wages of the workers

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:five:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

business owners are in an adversarial position against the wages of the workers

Business owners are an anathema to good business :mmmhmm:

Serf
May 5, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Cutting costs is easy, just get rid of the employees being paid the most to do the least essential work.

Thankfully, they all seem to have tagged themselves by putting a 'C' at the beginning of their title.

everyone in management is expendable

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

everyone in management is expendable

ehh, sometimes it's good to have someone look at the big picture and tell you what's up

incidentally, it's best left to outsourced consultation people, because they'll be less biased :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
outsource you are management fire you are boss

Serf
May 5, 2011

Truga posted:

ehh, sometimes it's good to have someone look at the big picture and tell you what's up

incidentally, it's best left to outsourced consultation people, because they'll be less biased :v:

oh we need managers, they just should be elected from among the workers

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Serf posted:

oh we need managers, they just should be elected from among the workers

Unelected management is indistinguishable from aristocracy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Business owners are an anathema to good business :mmmhmm:

I keep going back to matt bruenig's comment that most small business owners are just capitalist cosplayers

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Dead Beef posted:

all the luxury of a 90s-era mall, in your yacht!

:mad: For those of us in Iowa, that's a aughts era mall.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

go for a stroll posted:

just lol if you would ever go to a dentist

the only time I went in my adult life they made up something called literally "deep pockets" that they wanted at least $2k to fix

There's an American hygienist at my local private dentist and she cleaned out my deep pockets for £70

It was only £20 more than a standard clean but if she could be making $2k for it why is she in England

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/Josmar_Trujillo/status/1089980633047359488

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Don't you literally work for a venture capital firm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tastykake posted:

They get a smaller yacht that fits inside their larger yacht

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

That guy needs to be stoned.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

mycomancy posted:

That guy needs to be stoned.

I'm no genius but isn't 3 days right up on that 72 hour threshold? I guess she probably had a bunch of water with her??? Or???

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
This guy would probably be a whiny pansy after three days stuck in an elevator. lol that he doesn't realize when to keep his mouth shut so his lack of empathy doesn't show.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Raldikuk posted:

I'm no genius but isn't 3 days right up on that 72 hour threshold? I guess she probably had a bunch of water with her??? Or???

Stop complaining snowflake! It takes 72 hours to die from thirst, you were only trapped 68! And besides if you hadn't taken a piss on my dime, that'd give you at least 1 if not 2 spare cycles.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"Let me tell you about how people these days have lost touch with our primal strength, independence and resilience" I say as my rear end butler gently massages my rear end so I can have optimal sitting pleasure in my solid gold throne that my throne butler has just finished polishing

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Lambert posted:

This guy would probably be a whiny pansy after three days minutes stuck in an elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

guillotine