Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm a sadist, can I turn off Goofy and Donald's alerts that I'm near a lucky emblem? Aladdin never turned to the screen to tell the viewer to watch out for a hidden Mickey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Argue posted:

I'm a sadist, can I turn off Goofy and Donald's alerts that I'm near a lucky emblem? Aladdin never turned to the screen to tell the viewer to watch out for a hidden Mickey!

Is it like the Dreameaters in DDD where it had a message appear saying they found something?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
"Gawrsh, I bet there's a lucky emblem 'round here!"

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I'm loving the bits of random banter outside of the cutscenes. Such a small thing that really livens up the world.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Nomura you gently caress, let Donald and Goofy both be in the photo. I know you’re in love with all your anime tweens but Donald And Goofy are 2/3rds the reason I’m here. Actually the Disney characters sitting aside for the anime is a good metaphor for where the series currently is

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Just finished Dream Drop Distance, and since I'm a physical media person my copy of 3's not showing up for another 10 or so hours. Plenty of time to plow through 0.2 I suppose.

I really liked it! Combat and movement were really solid, the floatiness from BBS was felt way toned down, it may very well not have been for all I know but I wasn't excruciatingly feeling every single slow gentle plop onto the ground the way I did in BBS. The Fantasia world sucked and Spellican and Ansem 2 were straight up garbage boss fights but otherwise I had a lot of fun. Lot of plot stuff that was touched on from the older games that were retroactively made to make more sense or worked totally fine in a new context. Honestly this was Riku's game as far as I'm concerned. Glad he got to be the big cool hero in the end.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is... is Door To Darkness the name of Ansems operating system?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I have a massive love/hate relationship with this series, and neglected to play most of the compilation games after 2, opting instead to watch multiple hour long summary videos in preparation for 3.

After all this I groaned at Kingdom Hearts cringey dialogue right up until I uppercutted a boss Heartless with a magic boat, and found out that it's a regular move.

All doubts erased. :getin:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

Yes that has literally been the control scheme for every game in the series since the beginning (jumping with circle is kind of weird I'll admit but you get used to it after a while).

With said control scheme basically being inherited from the PS1 game Threads of Fate(which in a lot of ways is basically the prototype for Kingdom Hearts

CapnAndy posted:

I was defeated in my goal to finish KH2 in time by Roxas, who mercilessly bodied me about twenty times in a row before I decided that maybe level 42 was a bit underleveled for him and I'll come back... well, some day I guess. But not today!

Friggin difficult fight, though. Why yes I do like wearing every +Defense thing I can buy or synthesize and still having Roxas take me from full HP to dead in one combo, and I double like how Continue puts you four hallways, three chests, a loading screen, and a cutscene away from the fight again. PS2 game design at its finest.

Bring on the god drat teacups.

And that's why I've basically given up on ever finishing any of the first three games* on a difficulty higher than Beginner, I just do not have the patience needed to do the grinding for levels and other stuff they expect you to do to beat them on Normal or higher

*BBS and 3D have felt a lot more reasonable so far, and 0.2 was pretty fair too

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
My BF just started playing KH3 and there are NPCs to save! Can we ignore their stupid pleas and see them turned into heartless? Or does nothing happen?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

No spoilers here. I’m finally watching the recoded cutscenes and I can’t believe this is where the loving book of prophecies gets foreshadowed first. I can’t loving believe it was recoded that directly ties into the mobile game.

Also, terra is as smart as sora. Aqua is as smart as Data Sora.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

drrockso20 posted:

And that's why I've basically given up on ever finishing any of the first three games* on a difficulty higher than Beginner, I just do not have the patience needed to do the grinding for levels and other stuff they expect you to do to beat them on Normal or higher

C'mon, you definitely don't need to grind for any significant length of time to beat a Kingdom Hearts game on normal difficulty.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
First world spoilers.
I'm liking the script a lot more in this one. I laughed when Goofy said "NO ORGANIZATION!" the moment he saw a black coat.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Made it through the first world and to the start of the second. How the gently caress is this game supposed to work? I’ve got more actions available to me in combat than buttons on my controller. It took me an hour and a half to realize that I had to equip a potion to use it in combat, and another twenty minutes to realize that once I used one I had to re-equip it again. I’ve got half my AP soaked up in flowmotion skills, which are cool when I can figure out how to enter flowmotion, which is never. There’s always three things vying for my triangle button and I don’t know how most of them get there. I’m glad I found out by accident how to toggle between those, because gently caress if the game taught me how to do any of that.

And holy poo poo what is wrong with the gummi travel in this game? My controls get changed on me every thirty seconds when I go between minigames. I play inverted stick for flying games, as God intended, but when I’m in shmup mode that means that the ship flies backwards on the vertical axis. What are waypoints? What are missions? Who the hell is giving me commendations?

Can someone tell me if I can quit this game without having explicitly hit a save point? Because there wasn’t one between ending the first world and starting the second, and there was literally an hour and a half of bullshit between them, including two boss fights.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Under customize on the pause menu you can add spells\items to a quick menu you bring up by holding L1. I don't even bother to try hit up and down on the dpad.

I have no idea when it autosaves though.

I got to play all of the first level today, and then made myself late for work, because how long could it be after the first boss before I could save huh? I'm lucky I'm the only one in this morning!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how do you activate Flowmotion in this game (the method from DDD doesn't appear to work unless it's something that just unlocks later on)?

Also while the guy's kind of a shithole off-camera I will admit that James Woods' Hades never fails to entertain (and they kind of let him go all out a bit more in this one as well). In fact, the writing in general seems to have improved a lot in this one (Sora is a snarky little poo poo and I love it).

But yeah, so far so good.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 29, 2019

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Larryb posted:

So how do you activate Flowmotion in this game (the method from DDD doesn't appear to work unless it's something that just unlocks later on)?

To climb walls or hop across a gap on footholds, just push the stick in that direction. To swing around pillars, jump and airdash towards them.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey, remember Phil, from Hercules? Of course you do. Well, here he is, completely awkwardly silent in the background of all these scenes because we can't afford Danny DeVito or a soundalike.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Unfortunately, Master Xehanort's plan succeeded because the only hero who could stop him could not find the last two ingredients for Little Chef's recipe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Hey, remember Phil, from Hercules? Of course you do. Well, here he is, completely awkwardly silent in the background of all these scenes because we can't afford Danny DeVito or a soundalike.

best news i heard so far

though i am surprised that perennial stand-in Jim Cummings can't do a DeVito impression

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mode 7 posted:

Phil's Japanese VA died and Japan has a thing where they usually just kill off the character instead of replacing their VA

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
edit: ^^^ ah

It's weird because they got the guy who always does DeVito stand ins for Phil before, just not this time. Which is a shame because I'm a sucker for him not counting right, or thinking we are Herc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

Phil's Japanese VA died and Japan has a thing where they usually just kill off the character instead of replacing their VA

Unless it's someone who is particularly important to the plot that they can't really get rid of that easily (like in the case of Master Xehanort).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Maybe I'm just in awe over the fact that I'm finally playing this game, but the writing this time around seems to be way above the usual standard for these games?

Like, I just finished Toybox and all the Toy Story characters seemed like they were relatively in character.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Does anyone else experience Default graphics mode really making a base PS4 fan roar? I have to keep it on Stable just to shut the machine up

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hey thread have a PSA: :siren:Press L2 to toggle through finishers when you have multiple stacked up!:siren: They don't mention this in the tutorial at all and maybe it gets brought up later? But it's certainly not brought up through Olympus and the beginning of the world after that!

On the other hand: Echoing that Olympus's bosses just weren't that great? i felt like i was missing something other than just running up the thing and hitting them and using the warp thing to close to the second form and using magic a lot... Also when do i get Magnet/Chicken Little type summon to bring dudes together because i miss it already :sigh:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 29, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m trying to avoid most spoilers but I would like to know if they have the usual “sword/staff/shield” thing at the start and if it seems to matter at all.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

bobjr posted:

I’m trying to avoid most spoilers but I would like to know if they have the usual “sword/staff/shield” thing at the start and if it seems to matter at all.

Yes and it matters

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bobjr posted:

There are two choices you make

Vitality/Wisdom/Balanced = More HP, More MP, or a moderate amount of both
Sword/Shield/Staff = Usual deal. Get attack abilities sooner, get defense abilities sooner, or get magic abilities sooner.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I was playing through 2 and was going to try and finish it before this came out but now it's just having me go through all the same worlds a second time which is kind of dampening my enthusiasm for it. I was going to watch one of those recap videos but they're 30 minutes long so I just watched the dunkey one and it seems good enough to just jump into 3.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's hosed up Sora is able to get a new outfit every game, but Donald and Goofy have to wear the same clothes.

Donald looked crushed when he didn't get new gear. :smith:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

The Shame Boy posted:

Hey thread have a PSA: :siren:Press L2 to toggle through finishers when you have multiple stacked up!:siren: They don't mention this in the tutorial at all and maybe it gets brought up later? But it's certainly not brought up through Olympus and the beginning of the world after that!

You can switch this to Up and Down on the d-pad in the menu. Also I look at the controls for every game I play before I start just to see what's what. I remember seeing a roundtable talking about KH3 mentioning you can't swap finishers so when I saw that I kind of raised an eyebrow.

Also having the D-Pad on the paddles of my Elite Controller is SO GOOD YA'LL

Augus posted:

There are two choices you make

Vitality/Wisdom/Balanced = More HP, More MP, or a moderate amount of both

Specifically it looks like the max HP/MP you start out with is :

Vitality: 120/100
Wisdom: 90/120
Balanced: 105/110

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 29, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I thought I'd finally attempt to play these dumb games and grab the Story So Far compilation because €40 for all of the pre-KHIII stuff seemed like a decent deal, but of course that compilation is not available in Europe because gently caress you. EU PSN just has the separate HD compilations for 110 euros in total, which is ridiculous because for that price you can just get the All-in-One bundle that includes those same compilations and KHIII, and I wasn't planning on spending that much at this point anyway.

I could mess around with US PSN prepaid cards to get The Story So Far from the US store, but... eh. :effort:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Genuine lol at Kingdom Hearts II.9

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know if this counts as a drive-by shitpost, but whatever. I watched an hour or so of streams of this today, and I'm really struggling to see why on earth it's so popular and anticipated. The dialogue is overlong, cheesy, and often just cringe-inducing. The voice acting is pretty fuckin awful. The performance looks inconsistent. Combat looks fun enough, I guess, but nothing particularly special or groundbreaking, and there was more than one fight where the camera was godawful. What am I missing?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bardeh posted:

I don't know if this counts as a drive-by shitpost, but whatever. I watched an hour or so of streams of this today, and I'm really struggling to see why on earth it's so popular and anticipated. The dialogue is overlong, cheesy, and often just cringe-inducing. The voice acting is pretty fuckin awful. The performance looks inconsistent. Combat looks fun enough, I guess, but nothing particularly special or groundbreaking, and there was more than one fight where the camera was godawful. What am I missing?

Part of it is that we waited so long for the game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

Genuine lol at Kingdom Hearts II.9

The best joke in the series by far.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bardeh posted:

Did you play KH I as a 14ish year old?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is Proud Mode a complete dick punch this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna be that guy and say you can't "get" Kingdom Hearts by watching someone else play it for an hour.