Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: vacuum chat - I had a Roomba around 8 years ago, but my German Shepherd figured out how to stop it by hitting it with his paw, then my Great Dane absolutely destroyed it once it had been stopped, so I never really saw how well it worked. Both those dogs are dead so I bought a Roomba 690 a few months ago. I'm honestly amazed at how poor the programming is on the thing, I wouldn't even consider it a functional robot vacuum. And that's after making sure to "Roomba proof" the house - it loves to get into the bathroom then close the door on itself, locking it in, so I have to close the bathroom door or prop it open with something. If it hits my back door (I leave it open all day for my dogs) it goes off the lip/ledge and gets stuck, so you have to put a rolled up towel down to keep it from going that direction. It also seemingly randomly can't find its way back to the base, even when I have half the house blocked off with the IR virtual wall they give you. When you get into a routine with it, it does help keep the pet hair and dirt down, but it sounds like I should have gone with someone other than iRobot. My wife thinks it was a waste of money, I think it does have a use, but I really thought they would have been farther along in their algorithms by now.

My Dyson is almost 12 years old and just this past weekend the roller brushes stopped working, after doing some research I ended up going with a relatively cheap Shark Navigator Professional. It has a 5 year warranty, so even if I have to buy a new one every 5 years, it will still be cheaper than a new Dyson or a Miele. I don't have carpet so I don't think I need that extra power, but I do have tons of dog hair and the wire cutter guide said that bagged vacuums fill up fast with lots of pet hair.

Never seen a Dyson that was any good. Overpriced gimmicky rubbish. Just get a Henry ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Miele vacuums are the poo poo, I can highly recommend them. Yeah, it's like the cost of two vacuums, but it's better and will last longer than both combined.

Dysons are traaaaaaaaaaaash

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Anyone else have a Rainbow? I've had one for like 15 years and love it. It ruined all other vacuums for me, no bag and no dust using the water. The only restriction being the water it moves massive amounts of air on top of the great sucking.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Three thousand dollars. You can buy four-six Miele vacuums for that, and a Miele doesn't weigh a thousand pounds.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

And you could buy like 35 of my eureka uprights that also works just fine.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

fridge corn posted:

Never seen a Dyson that was any good. Overpriced gimmicky rubbish. Just get a Henry ffs

Yeah, gently caress Dyson. Not only is Corn spot on here but James Dyson is also a loving twat and people should stop giving him any money.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Queen Combat posted:

Three thousand dollars. You can buy four-six Miele vacuums for that, and a Miele doesn't weigh a thousand pounds.

Holy poo poo that's what they go for? Jesus, I paid like a grand for mine. A lot but worth it to me. Still sucks like the day I got it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The only Dyson product I've ever liked was the Airblade V and that's because it's a hand dryer so powerful it almost hurts to use. An adequate substitute for paper towels.

Vacuumchat is good and useful to me right now. I've been using crap vacuums that only last a year or so at most and now I've got a place that's actually sizeable so I guess it's time for a vacuum that doesn't suck (or, I guess, *does* suck).

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Right now I have a pthbtbtbtbtbtbtbtttt whatever brand, but it has a retractable cord and that's all that matters right now in this tiny 400 sqft apartment. However, in the last two houses I had a Miele canister (gave it to my ex, she's got the two kids and two dogs) and I can say with confidence that nearly any bagged vacuum is better than any canister vac, just down to how the air is routed alone. It being a lifetime/heritage product like Miele was just icing. I will definitely buy again, as long as they don't go to poo poo in the next three years or whatever.

Kirbys were okay, but even in the 80s they were heavy for what they did. For half the price you could get a bagged Hoover that had the same suction. And yeah, I know that bags are so faux pas in today's day and age, but there's a reason it's what commercial services use. You can pack a bag right up tight, and if you buy in bulk bags are like $0.25-1.00 each, which can be nothing the grand scheme of things, about the same monthly cost or less than trash bags, owing to how much longer and more full they last. Don't be fooled into thinking "well, I have to dump the canister every time I use it, so that would be a bag each time." Nah, nah. It's like 8 canister dumps per standard Miele upright bag capacity, or 15-20 bagless empties per canister vac bag.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I buy whatever is the ~$150 vacuum from Costco. I have a wife and daughter. Their hair will kill anything in five years. So who really cares?

Not spending the $1200 for the central vac rough in is only one of a handful of regrets when we built our house. Two floors of 2000+ sqft kind of sucks with a regular vac.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I liked my Dyson ball when I first got it (wedding present, wouldn't have dropped $500+ on it myself), but I've had to get it repaired a few times in the past 11 years. I was also comparing it to whatever lovely vacuum I had as a college student, which was probably just the cheapest model at Target.

I did buy the Dyson V7 cordless handheld recently for vacuuming the car and getting dog hair off my bed, it works well but on max suck mode the battery doesn't last that long. Still way easier than getting out the corded vacuum.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Miele appliances in general are really good. Costco up here in Canada sells their vacuums for a "somewhat" reasonable price. I bought a Miele espresso machine and it's really good. Built like a tank for a super-auto.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My parents in law have a miele kitchen. Neediest appliances I've ever seen. It's nice stuff and the coffee machine makes a killer latte but when it breaks parts are expensive and even under warranty it takes a while to get anything in as there's no local miele dealer or repair people here apparently.

In other news. Why do I live in a place where the air hurts your face? Apparently -51°C with the wind chill tomorrow. BRRR.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

shy boy from chess club posted:

Anyone else have a Rainbow? I've had one for like 15 years and love it. It ruined all other vacuums for me, no bag and no dust using the water. The only restriction being the water it moves massive amounts of air on top of the great sucking.

I have one, and it's awesome. I got it for free too.

It probably the best vacuum I've ever used, and just trying to use anything else now just doesn't cut it. Only problems I've had has been the belt snapped, and when I moved the water pan got cracked, but you can buy replacement parts for both of those super cheap, so who cares. If you can ever find a used one, buy it ASAP. They're great, last forever, and you can replace and repair parts on them easily.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have a Kenmore Elegance canister vac and it is in fact, the poo poo. Panasonic makes the best vacs.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

You can pack a bag right up tight, and if you buy in bulk bags are like $0.25-1.00 each, which can be nothing the grand scheme of things, about the same monthly cost or less than trash bags, owing to how much longer and more full they last. Don't be fooled into thinking "well, I have to dump the canister every time I use it, so that would be a bag each time." Nah, nah. It's like 8 canister dumps per standard Miele upright bag capacity, or 15-20 bagless empties per canister vac bag.

Yeah sometime in the late 90s the vacuum cleaner industry convinced people that bagless was the way to go and they're terrible. Dumping out the dust is messy, they all lose suction when they get full (despite what Dyson will tell you) and you still have to replace filters periodically anyway. Dysons and Sharks are terrible.

On the other end of the scale I have a coworker who paid 1800 for a brand new Kirby with all the attachments and extras from a door-to-door salesperson. He's financing it. For four years. Don't do that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

I have one, and it's awesome. I got it for free too.

It probably the best vacuum I've ever used, and just trying to use anything else now just doesn't cut it. Only problems I've had has been the belt snapped, and when I moved the water pan got cracked, but you can buy replacement parts for both of those super cheap, so who cares. If you can ever find a used one, buy it ASAP. They're great, last forever, and you can replace and repair parts on them easily.

Hell yea Rainbow buddy! I bought mine new and was impressed with its performance for sure, that's what sold me initially. I was concerned with reliability but it has a 25 year warranty so I still have like 10 years left. I haven't had any problems with it at all, I didn't know there was a belt in there I figured it was a direct drive.

The only thing that sucks now (heh) is that I don't have carpets in my house any longer. I'm glad for the roombachat earlier so I can get one that works and hopefully all I'll have to do is empty it and not have to rescue it from behind closed doors or under a couch.

I had no idea they are going for 3 grand now. That must mean mine should still have some value if I were to sell it. Probably not though since it works awesome in cars and I'll always have those.

Non vacuum related: I just watched Texasville. It's a sequel to The Last Picture Show which is a great movie. This one was made in 1990, set in 1984. I liked it even more that TLPS, it's fantastic. It's funny as poo poo and tugs at the heart strings. I had no idea it existed and I'm a huge Jeff Bridges fan. Highly recommended if you liked Last Picture Show or Jeff Bridges.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Maybe it's been changed, but yeah, there's a belt on the beater bar section of it. Just a tiny rubber flat belt, nothing too special.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rainbows are good quality to be fair, but their prices are stupid high due to their door-to-door quasi pyramid scheme/MLM sales model which inflates their prices to pay the salesman their commission along with their "management" team.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

Maybe it's been changed, but yeah, there's a belt on the beater bar section of it. Just a tiny rubber flat belt, nothing too special.

Oh yea that part. Sadly I lost that in a move which is too bad since it was great for pet hair on carpet/fabric.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah sometime in the late 90s the vacuum cleaner industry convinced people that bagless was the way to go and they're terrible. Dumping out the dust is messy, they all lose suction when they get full (despite what Dyson will tell you) and you still have to replace filters periodically anyway.

The main filter on our bagless is washable. The HEPA filter isn't, but the HEPA filter looks pretty much new still after nearly a year.

But yeah dumping it is messy. And I have to dump it at least 3 times every time I vacuum the apartment (800 sq ft). Just vacuuming the carpet around the litter box means 1 dump (not from litter - though it picks up plenty of that - but from cat hair), and vacuuming my itty bitty "office nook" means another dump (because I'm shedding).

Non vacuum related: I just watched Texasville. It's a sequel to The Last Picture Show which is a great movie. This one was made in 1990, set in 1984. I liked it even more that TLPS, it's fantastic. It's funny as poo poo and tugs at the heart strings. I had no idea it existed and I'm a huge Jeff Bridges fan. Highly recommended if you liked Last Picture Show or Jeff Bridges.

I'll have to check these out, thanks.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 29, 2019

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The number of times I've thought about vacuum cleaners in the last 44 years, including the 400 posts I just read about vacuum chat, is 401

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My Dyson DC is like ten years old and the only thing I've had to do to it is replace the belt once. And one of the attachments broke but I just epoxied it back together. Best vac i ever owned, same thing with the V cordless, great vacuums haters vacate.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I bought the PC remaster of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter on a whim because that was one of my favorite games in the N64 era. It actually holds up fairly decently for a shooter from 1997, outside of the fact that remember when developers thought god drat jumping puzzles were acceptable in FPS games? I'll probably pick up Turok 2 once I finish this one.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The number of times I've thought about vacuum cleaners in the last 44 years, including the 400 posts I just read about vacuum chat, is 401

Nerds gonna nerd but really it's a tool, and if I've learned anything in life a quality tool makes the job waaay easier. I figure most here can appreciate a tool that works well and have *~opinions~*

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I got tipped with a loaf of bread today. Sorta.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that. On one hand, they tipped over $32 for their deliveries (2 different restaurants going to the same house, dispatch gave me both of them since [a] they were in BFE and [b] both restaurants were only a mile apart), but the whole "oh we don't need that bread, you can keep it as part of your tip" handwave.... kinda got under my skin. But I made over $40 on that one drop once you factor in delivery fees and mileage.

One of the orders was a huge order from a BBQ place, hence the bread (BBQ places here often include bread as part of larger orders).

I mean... I guess I don't need to buy a loaf of bread this week, but it's white bread. I prefer wheat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nah I'm not worried about that, they aren't endangered or anything. Just like to let anyone that might not want to kill something know that they don't always have to. Skunks being unique since people think they will get sprayed but with a little awareness that's not usually the case. My sister and I caught one by accident when we were kids and it just fell asleep in the trap and animal control just opened the door and let it go. I have no problem killing something if it's a problem. There is a feral cat I've shot a few times with my .177. It's 1300fps but not quite enough to kill him unless I get a head shot. If my neighbors weren't as close I would have killed him with a shotgun by now. The rear end in a top hat has sprayed in my garage and sat outside my bedroom window at night making noise and I won't feel bad when he's gone.

Use a paintball gun next time. It won't kill them, but it will hurt enough that they don't come back. I got rid of a groundhog that was living under my friends' shed that way a couple years ago.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Previa_fun posted:

I bought the PC remaster of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter on a whim because that was one of my favorite games in the N64 era. It actually holds up fairly decently for a shooter from 1997, outside of the fact that remember when developers thought god drat jumping puzzles were acceptable in FPS games? I'll probably pick up Turok 2 once I finish this one.

I picked up Age of Empires Definitive Edition the other day. I have now sunk about 25hrs into it already. Its EXACTLY the same game, right down to the cheat codes, except they've redone the graphic engine and now your peasants have TOES!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hell yea Rainbow buddy!

What models do yall have? This is relevant to my interests, since I just moved to a place that's got pretty much nothing but carpets and I need a new/better vacuum (and can't stand bagless). Looking at craigs, there are a few between $140 and $400, but I don't know how the models break down.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I keep wanting to buy a Miele, but our whatever-brand canister vac that we got for free keeps working well enough.

I rented a Skoda Rapid in Hamburg and took it on the autobahn. I got it up to 185kph before the combination of nighttime and slightly damp roadway got the better of me. I really enjoyed cruising at 160 though. Hamburg and Lübeck are very cool cities; I'm going to have to bring my wife back to Germany when she gets a vacation.

Continued onto Malaga, Spain, as was recommended. Enterprise gave me an Opal Mokka X, in diesel. Not at all exciting, but it was big enough to haul my bullshit down to Gibraltar, back up to Malaga, then down to Algeciras over the course a day.

The ship was late getting into Gibraltar anchorage so I basically had a day to kill in Gib, and then the agent decided he didn't want to bring the box of equipment we shipped to him into Gib because he'd have to pay customs fees, so it was more convenient to get the ship to move to Algeciras anchorage instead and take a service boat from there. The agent told me I'd get an hour's warning when it was time to get on board, so I drove up to Malaga (2 hrs), got a change of clothes, drove back, and checked myself into a Holiday Inn.

The next day I got on the service boat with a couple other technicians and discovered we had to climb this:

They decided the best thing to do was to let us sleep on board the ship, so I got to see sunset from the bridge, which was cool.

They put me in an officer's cabin. Nothing terribly special, but it was cozy enough. I disembarked on the 08:00 service boat. Winds and swells were a little higher in the morning so climbing down the ladder was an experience. I got back to shore in just enough time to check out of my airbnb and get a hotel near the airport for a 6:00 am flight home.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kazinsal posted:

The only Dyson product I've ever liked was the Airblade V and that's because it's a hand dryer so powerful it almost hurts to use. An adequate substitute for paper towels.

Give me paper towels all fuckin' day. Let me just run my hands through a dyson dryer 2/3 times because my hairy paws are still damp and deafen myself in the process. Those things are insanely loud at a frequency that just annihilates my ears, they're at an spl level where if it was a factory work environment you'd have to wear hearing protection. In a busy toilet where there's a bunch of them? gently caress your hearing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
What I love about them is sticking my hands into some trumphand-sized narrow opening that some disgusting wanker just stuck his poo poo and jizz covered twitchy hands into and pawed clumsily around in them, I'm sure they get sanitized all the time.

Er, what I meant is I love wiping my hands on my pants if there's no paper towels because gently caress those things

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Paper towels get dirt off your hands and into the garbage. Blowers get dirt off your hands and into the air.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You guys get your panties in a bunch over the weirdest things.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

You guys get your panties in a bunch over the weirdest things.

it's a nice distraction from the garbage fire that is reality in general.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Safety Dance posted:

Paper towels get dirt off your hands and into the garbage. Blowers get dirt off your hands and into the air.

My CNA instructor said that if you used the blower to dry your hands during clinicals that you'd have to stay an extra hour because it's completely unsanitary

E: I always thought the midwest had the "neutral accent", so I didn't think that I had a regional accent. Apparently people know I'm from Chicago because I say eggs wrong

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 29, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

https://gizmodo.com/disable-facetime-right-now-1832142571

Where's your Apple god now? :laugh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^ lol glad I don't use facetime at all

Olympic Mathlete posted:

it's a nice distraction from the garbage fire that is reality in general.

Pretty much. The public bathrooms at the resort I work have similar dryers to the Dyson, and it has a collection reservoir that is loving disgusting and I'm pretty sure no one ever cleans it much less sanitizes it. Paper towels FTW.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 29, 2019

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

What models do yall have? This is relevant to my interests, since I just moved to a place that's got pretty much nothing but carpets and I need a new/better vacuum (and can't stand bagless). Looking at craigs, there are a few between $140 and $400, but I don't know how the models break down.

Mines an E2 or series 2, something like that.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Applebees Appetizer posted:

^^^ lol glad I don't use facetime at all

Pretty much. The public bathrooms at the resort I work have similar dryers to the Dyson, and it has a collection reservoir that is loving disgusting and I'm pretty sure no one ever cleans it much less sanitizes it. Paper towels FTW.

In the words of Dr Sheldon Cooper, “It’d be more hygienic to let disease ridden gibbons sneeze your hands dry”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Signed the contract for a new job today! It's going to be pretty sweet, building up and entirely new site.

Now for the sucky part, giving notice...