Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seiyal posted:

Btw, is there an easy way to tell how many more updates a phone will get? Curious when Apple drops them off the iOS update schedule.

(Edit - Using this to help decide if it's better to try to get an SE or an 8)

Uh not really. They kept support around for super old phones when people didn’t expect it so there is no real way of knowing.

That said get the 8 unless you absolutely love the size of the SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The 8 will be supported further into the future.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Seiyal posted:

Are there any good sites to buy iPhones from used (if the Apple Store is out of stock or doesn't carry the model anymore) I was just trying to find some good sites to look at and see what they've got available.

SA-Mart or Swappa are the only sites I would say are fairly hassle-free.

Seiyal posted:

Btw, is there an easy way to tell how many more updates a phone will get? Curious when Apple drops them off the iOS update schedule.

Apple targets a minimum of 5 years of iOS updates. They have been actually getting longer support lately too, iOS 12 is available on phones all the way back to the 5s (without all features however).

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

manero posted:

I just ran into this yesterday. The free driver off the Windows store didn’t work. If you read the reviews, they say as much, and that you need to actually buy the other $0.99 driver for it to work. I haven’t done it yet but will probably soon.

I know it’s only a dollar but I don’t want to buy it if it still doesn’t work.

Does anyone know how iOS is able to instantly convert HEIC files to JPG when you connect to a PC?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can shortcuts make Sonos or Alexa play music?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Seiyal posted:

The SE will probably be indefinitely supported because it has the same internals as the 6S. I can't see Apple dropping support for the A9 anytime soon, which is a 64-bit CPU from 2015 and isn't showing any significant slowness under iOS 12. The SE/6S has 2GB of RAM just like an 8 too. But I still wouldn't get a SE more because the jump in camera quality to an 8 is so massive. If you take any photos at all, you absolutely want a newer phone and will see a huge difference. Apple's camera sensor/lens improvements are the most noticeable thing with new models.

Also iPhone SE battery life is very questionable compared to newer models, but it comes down to the camera, for sure.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 28, 2019

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Isn't the general policy 4 years from date of release? They might support for longer, but you're getting at least the four years. That would give you until at least 2020 on the SE.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
In fact, the only reason why Apple dropped support for the 5/5C is because iOS 11 dropped 32-bit support. The 5S is still fairly usable with its 64-bit CPU and the phone's trucking along over 5 years old now. The SE/6S is 2 years newer. Unlike Android's wild clusterfuck of hardware variations from CPUs to screen resolutions to RAM, iPhones stay very consistent between generations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I get the feeling that my AirPods have been a bit quieter than normal the past couple of months. I've checked my iOS settings and turned off any volume limiters. I've given them a good cleaning but there's always the chance that there's some earwax that got through the speaker grill blocking out the sound. Is there a best way to fix this, e.g. does the Apple Store have some gross wax vacuum that can clean them out?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

In fact, the only reason why Apple dropped support for the 5/5C is because iOS 11 dropped 32-bit support. The 5S is still fairly usable with its 64-bit CPU and the phone's trucking along over 5 years old now. The SE/6S is 2 years newer. Unlike Android's wild clusterfuck of hardware variations from CPUs to screen resolutions to RAM, iPhones stay very consistent between generations.

My mums 5S was noticeably slow, even though the battery thing was still saying it was at peak performance or whatever. She only realised how slow it was once I gave her my 8 though. My work SE seems to work pretty fast still, although it does spend 99% of its life switched off.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Feenix posted:

Can shortcuts make Sonos or Alexa play music?

Inspired by this, perchance? :cheeky:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
this is so sad. alexa, play despacito

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tippis posted:

lol

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

There's a group Facetime bug going around.

1. Initiate a Facetime call with someone.
2. While the call is ringing, swipe up from the bottom of the display.
3. Tap on the "Add Person" button.
4. Add your own phone number when it asks for the number of the person to add.

It'll then turn on the other person's mic and speaker. Until Apple pushes out a fix you might want to disable facetime?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

An update with the fix reportedly will be available later this week.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Facetimegate!!!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

no

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I tried it and it didn't seem to result in anything weird happening?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

track day bro! posted:

My mums 5S was noticeably slow, even though the battery thing was still saying it was at peak performance or whatever. She only realised how slow it was once I gave her my 8 though. My work SE seems to work pretty fast still, although it does spend 99% of its life switched off.

I only got rid of my SE because it was a first-batch model and was overheating all the time. Went to an 8 Plus, which felt like an iPad by comparison at first.

After a couple of weeks, my wife’s 7 felt tiny when I had to help her with something.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Something Offal posted:

I tried it and it didn't seem to result in anything weird happening?

Worked for me. Kind of crazy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tippis posted:

Lol, not quite. But teehee!

When we all leave the house, I set the alarm, I turn certain lights on and most lights off, and I play classical music for my dog.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Worked for me. Kind of crazy.

Yeah, this isn’t hype. It’s very real.

Also, there’s this (from the More poo poo That Pisses You Off thread in HC/SC.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Ok yeah that’s bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSe9ugpXIw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hah, I’m in luck. No one ever calls me.

:smith:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Because of AT&T canceling the microcell program, my house being a deadzone, and AT&T not supporting wifi calling on devices that weren't sold by them, I now have an AT&T iPhone 6.

I have used Android phones since 2011 but I actually don't completely hate this. I updated the phone to iOS12 and the battery life and performance got quite a bit better.

One thing that keeps pissing me off is the 3rd party keyboard thing. I installed swiftkey but it keeps switching back to the lovely stock keyboard. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Is this something that iPhone people just put up with? Do people even use 3rd party keyboards on the iPhone?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
They’ve turned off Group Facetime:
https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.the...curity-flaw-fix

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

64bit_Dophins posted:

One thing that keeps pissing me off is the 3rd party keyboard thing. I installed swiftkey but it keeps switching back to the lovely stock keyboard. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Is this something that iPhone people just put up with? Do people even use 3rd party keyboards on the iPhone?

Settings, General, Keyboard, Keyboards, Edit, drag SwiftKey to the top.
Be aware that you can't use a 3rd party keyboard for a few "secure" things like passwords, replying from the lock screen etc

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Ed: naughty Awful!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

hah, I’m in luck. No one ever calls me.

:smith:

:same:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The XS is expensive as hell and the XR is just a bit too big. Should I just get an X from somewhere? Would I be missing much, if anything at all?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Xabi posted:

The XS is expensive as hell and the XR is just a bit too big. Should I just get an X from somewhere? Would I be missing much, if anything at all?
I own a XS... you should get a X.

The only thing you’re really missing is being able to change the depth of field on portrait mode photos you take, so unless you take loads of those on a regular basis, you should save yourself a few hundred bucks instead.

edit: With the SwiftKey chat above, I've decided to give it another go, but fortunately iPhones are just too big now for good swipe typing. I can't see an option to squish the keyboard to one side like with the default keyboard, so is there a swipe-keyboard that'll let me do that?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 29, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
drat, the Facetime bug is entering the mainstream and will start getting associated with the brand like Samsung's battery fires.

I don't want Apple to do badly now that they are the 2nd largest component of the S&P 500 :-/.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Something Offal posted:

drat, the Facetime bug is entering the mainstream and will start getting associated with the brand like Samsung's battery fires.

It’s no big deal. It’s not like the POTUS carries an unsecured iPhone around with him every day...

...oh. Well poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BGrifter posted:

It’s no big deal. It’s not like the POTUS carries an unsecured iPhone around with him every day...

...oh. Well poo poo.
He doesn't need to be bugged since he just blabs everything to whoever he talks to.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

iPhone 6 arriving Thursday! I was able to return the SE. It should be a good size for me as it's a bit smaller than the nexus 5x. The main things the 6 does not seem to have vs. a 7 or 8 are a better facetime camera (I would never use facetime anyway, even before the news!), faster chip, wide color display, and a few other things I don't care about.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well the FaceTime bug is tied to Group FaceTime and apple already shut that down on their end until the fix is out so it’s already taken dealt with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

actionjackson posted:

iPhone 6 arriving Thursday! I was able to return the SE. It should be a good size for me as it's a bit smaller than the nexus 5x. The main things the 6 does not seem to have vs. a 7 or 8 are a better facetime camera (I would never use facetime anyway, even before the news!), faster chip, wide color display, and a few other things I don't care about.
Hm, this might not be the best option. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they dump support for the iPhone 6 after this year. It'll also be noticeably slower than the SE.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Endless Mike posted:

He doesn't need to be bugged since he just blabs everything to whoever he talks to.

Probably true, I’m more thinking about the hopefully somewhat competent government officials he has conversations with that he doesn’t understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh well haha, I'll see how it goes. I really don't use my phone very often, and if I do it's basically just phone, texting, soundcloud and maps. And a few lovely pictures. I'm just getting it because my phone is doomed and I want to use the insanely cheap Comcast mobile plan.

edit: oh yeah and I want to have the 3.5mm jack :)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 29, 2019