Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not really digging this Love and Monsters sequel tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

Not really digging this Love and Monsters sequel tbh.

I just wish it was better written

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
admit it, that dude getting sucked off by a paving slab was your sexual awakening and you've been rubbing your dick raw against concrete ever since.

it's ok. whovians don't kinkshame.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Jose Mengelez posted:

but let's be real for a second, the term "retarded" implies a person who's intellectual and emotional development has been severely stunted for whatever reason.

gently caress you?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Archyduchess posted:

gently caress you?

whats your favorite episode? i like the one where the dr who chases a big bee around. i like the bit where dr who says "oweee the bee bit me!". i also liked the one with the big smelly yeti.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Archyduchess posted:

gently caress you?

He's a troll soon to be dealt with.

His one failing was being more boring and low effort than a concrete slab blowjob

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

He's a troll soon to be dealt with.

His one failing was being more boring and low effort than a concrete slab blowjob

*yawns* ah another boring troll who thinks DR WHO is an inferior show. *sucks on capri sun* better pm a moderator and get this chucklefuck dealth with so we can get back to arguing over which splatoons to jerk off over in peace.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jose Mengelez posted:

whats your favorite episode? i like the one where the dr who chases a big bee around. i like the bit where dr who says "oweee the bee bit me!". i also liked the one with the big smelly yeti.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Mengelez posted:

*yawns* ah another boring troll who thinks DR WHO is an inferior show. *sucks on capri sun* better pm a moderator and get this chucklefuck dealth with so we can get back to arguing over which splatoons to jerk off over in peace.

See I know you're trying to make fun of me here but I'm not sure exactly how?

Like is this supposed to be insulting? Like you've been around man, you should know how to troll. Are capri suns even a thing to anyone anymore?

Shouldn't you be going on about drinking designer wine or something while smoking e-cigs or

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

See I know you're trying to make fun of me here but I'm not sure exactly how?

Like is this supposed to be insulting? Like you've been around man, you should know how to troll. Are capri suns even a thing to anyone anymore?

Shouldn't you be going on about drinking designer wine or something while smoking e-cigs or

you're a grown man in power ranger pyjamas yelling "i'm not owned! i'm not mad!" at your monitor because someone called "doctor the who" a bad show on the internet lmao.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jose Mengelez posted:

You've been doing this for like, a week now? Your first posts in this thread are getting cranky, perhaps justifiably, about a pretty lackluster season finale, and then a lot of weird flailing that seems to have been instigated by people talking about whether or not the Rosa Parks episode was any good, and then it sort of just slips into whatever this is. Are you ok? It was a bad finale, but was it bad enough for all this? I get that the premise of your bit here is that Doctor Who is a childish show for children, but like, again, a week ago you had pretty cogent opinions about the showrunner and now you're just howling edgy slurs around to provoke people, so I don't know, is this working for anybody?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think Revolution of the Daleks will have to begin with a Dalek inventing some kind of Dalek art or poetry.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Mengelez posted:

you're a grown man in power ranger pyjamas yelling "i'm not owned! i'm not mad!" at your monitor because someone called "doctor the who" a bad show on the internet lmao.

Are you okay man? Do you need to talk about something?

You keep saying things, but they never seem to actually connect from point to point and you just seem to be losing steam. Maybe take a break, get the juices flowing again. Everyone has a dry spell. Look, just come back when you have better material, maybe like, find something more original to try and flail about, and it'll work out better.

It's okay, everyone needs a break from time to time. If it just isn't working, you don't have to force it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Like maybe there could be a couple Daleks working out in some snow or something and one of them notes that its movement leaves marks in the snow and then it moves around to create a pattern and shouts some typical Dalek line like ALL NON DALEK LIFE MUST BE EXTERMINATED and then the other Dalek turns around and looks at the marks and shouts AFFIRMATIVE and then erases the pattern with its own movement and they go back to doing what they were doing.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

Are you okay man? Do you need to talk about something?

You keep saying things, but they never seem to actually connect from point to point and you just seem to be losing steam. Maybe take a break, get the juices flowing again. Everyone has a dry spell. Look, just come back when you have better material, maybe like, find something more original to try and flail about, and it'll work out better.

It's okay, everyone needs a break from time to time. If it just isn't working, you don't have to force it

"buh duh i no understand posty"

lmao consuming children's media has left you with the comprehension of a child. ow oof.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
i've heard how totally not mad you guys are multiple times now but i still havent heard a compelling argument against the simple statements of fact; "dr who is bad".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CommonShore posted:

I think Revolution of the Daleks will have to begin with a Dalek inventing some kind of Dalek art or poetry.

"I CALL IT.... THE SUPERIOR BEING!"
"THIS IS A REFLECTIVE SURFACE."
"...."
"THIS IS ACCEPTABLE!"

It's literally the first ever positive review in The Dalek Gazette.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

"I CALL IT.... THE SUPERIOR BEING!"
"THIS IS A REFLECTIVE SURFACE."
"...."
"THIS IS ACCEPTABLE!"

It's literally the first ever positive review in The Dalek Gazette.

Then there could be a scene in which a Dalek artist gets met with WHAT IS THIS? THIS IS UN-ACCEPTABLE I MUST INFORM THE and the Dalek artist just blows up the Dalek that is about to narc him out.

I can imagine this story with 10 in it, looking at the Dalek art and puzzling at its meaning. I can see him squatting and putting on his glasses.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I imagine dalek art would be sort of like if Vorticism had just kept going, or if like, Marinetti had just been straight-up allowed to invent every tank. Here's Jacob Epstein describing his 1913 sculpture Rock Drill:

quote:

My ardour for machinery (short-lived) expended itself upon the purchase of an actual drill, second-hand, and upon it I made and mounted a machine-like robot, visored, menacing, and carrying within itself its progeny, protectively ensconced. Here is the armed sinister figure of to-day and to-morrow. No humanity, only the terrible Frankenstein's monster we have made ourselves into.

I could see daleks working backwards from something like that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Dalek Art is probably the same kind of art fascist movements have been producing for centuries - glory to the ubermench, look how pathetic all the lessers are.

Like a Ben Garrison cartoon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

the Dalek artist just blows up the Dalek that is about to narc him out.

Assembled Dalek spectators murmur appreciatively.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DoctorWhat posted:

Dalek Art is probably the same kind of art fascist movements have been producing for centuries - glory to the ubermench, look how pathetic all the lessers are.

Dalek Emperor looking young and strong and his hair is lustrous and blond

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Dalek Emperor looking young and strong and his hair is lustrous and blond

Everything is meticulously labeled even though the only labels in use are "DALEK" and "INFERIOR BEING WHO MUST BE EXTERMINATED"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Daleks are defined by hate, so the art is probably Garrisony, but the content would be like the McCoy Brothers.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Personally I'd be happy if the Daleks and Cybermen go away for a while. Unless there's a truly great story, I feel like we have been circling the drain lately of the same motifs and themes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harlock posted:

Personally I'd be happy if the Daleks and Cybermen go away for a while. Unless there's a truly great story, I feel like we have been circling the drain lately of the same motifs and themes.

That's been the Cyberman's go to gimmick for the last (Checks when the Invasion was made) 50 years

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Archyduchess posted:

I imagine dalek art would be sort of like if Vorticism had just kept going, or if like, Marinetti had just been straight-up allowed to invent every tank. Here's Jacob Epstein describing his 1913 sculpture Rock Drill:

I could see daleks working backwards from something like that.

fun fact, the dalek shell contains a sophisticated air filtration system to prevent the occupant from inadvertently huffing it's farts and making posts like this.^

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The major problem with the Cybermen is that they botched the most relevant way to revive them. Like, wearable technology and soulless tech companies in a world where people don't have healthcare access is a great landscape to tell a Cyberman story. Rationing your insulin? This horrifying start-up company has a solution for your body that is about as well-considered as Juicero! We're disrupting your humanity now!

They were going for that with the whole Loomis plot, but the execution was terrible, and they haven't really played in the same space since then. Looking back on the Death in Heaven two-parter, I think in the end, I like the high concept of Missy using Time Lord technology to store the dead as some kind of horrifying scheme (even if it is a little similar to the library two-parter computer thing), but the Cybermen feel a bit awkwardly worked into it. I do like the two-parter with Bill, even though it carries the baggage of her being converted, but even that starts to get a little silly when it brings back the shiny silver robot Cybermen and becomes more about warring with them than the conversion part. I also think the Craig stories are okay, but their being a bit tongue-in-cheek helps. Like, the idea that the power of a dad's love can overcome Cyber-conversion is silly, sure, but it's fine for Doctor Who.

Basically, any time the focus is on Cybermen being hyper-efficient robots trying to kill people, it's boring, and when they investigate them as people who convert and rob a person of their humanity, it works better.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cybermen make decent cameo fodder, too, because of their generic killbot status. E.g.the various Moffat eps where "All" of the baddies show up together and a few cybermen get blown up because why not.

In other words, they're the ninjas of doctor who.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

The major problem with the Cybermen is that they botched the most relevant way to revive them. Like, wearable technology and soulless tech companies in a world where people don't have healthcare access is a great landscape to tell a Cyberman story. Rationing your insulin? This horrifying start-up company has a solution for your body that is about as well-considered as Juicero! We're disrupting your humanity now!

They were going for that with the whole Loomis plot, but the execution was terrible, and they haven't really played in the same space since then. Looking back on the Death in Heaven two-parter, I think in the end, I like the high concept of Missy using Time Lord technology to store the dead as some kind of horrifying scheme (even if it is a little similar to the library two-parter computer thing), but the Cybermen feel a bit awkwardly worked into it. I do like the two-parter with Bill, even though it carries the baggage of her being converted, but even that starts to get a little silly when it brings back the shiny silver robot Cybermen and becomes more about warring with them than the conversion part. I also think the Craig stories are okay, but their being a bit tongue-in-cheek helps. Like, the idea that the power of a dad's love can overcome Cyber-conversion is silly, sure, but it's fine for Doctor Who.

Basically, any time the focus is on Cybermen being hyper-efficient robots trying to kill people, it's boring, and when they investigate them as people who convert and rob a person of their humanity, it works better.

Yeah, I think that's part of what makes Spare Parts so compelling-- it's hard to imagine being in that scenario and not being at least a little bit tempted yourself. It's more about people bargaining with themselves about how much of themselves they're ok with compromising in exchange for survival and how that slippery that slope is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fun fact, episode 12 of every series under Moffat contained at least one cyberman

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Fun fact, episode 12 of every series under Moffat contained at least one cyberman

It sort of makes sense. A lot of what he liked to write about was consciousness artificially extended by computers, and if you need a glossy monster for that story to live in, the Cybermen are probably an easy go-to.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised that nobody's ever tried to do a Cybermen story where becoming emotionless metalmen really is the best option for the Telosians/Mondasians/people.

Archyduchess posted:

the National Gallery of Canada has a reproduction of the rock drill torso and it is very cool

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mameluke posted:

I'm surprised that nobody's ever tried to do a Cybermen story where becoming emotionless metalmen really is the best option for the Telosians/Mondasians/people.

That’s basically Spare Parts, with the Mondasians slowly dying.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Just watched Demons of the Punjab. Absolute standout of the series so far. Just like, a mainstream TV show doing a story about partition and directly, repeatedly saying, "the British Raj really hosed this one up with their complete carelessness, causing hundreds of thousands of deaths" is huge. I was a little leery of an alien villain, but of course they're just a red herring that's entirely peripheral to the main story, which is entirely about human tragedy.

Like, the partition of India is a gigantic part of world history that straight up doesn't get taught in schools. It's huge, and history syllabuses avoid it because it raises uncomfortable questions about Britain's role in world history. Doctor Who doing an episode that's almost just a straight historical about the carnage of partition is a gigantic, bold social move, and it helps that it was a good episode too.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Android Blues posted:

Just watched Demons of the Punjab. Absolute standout of the series so far. Just like, a mainstream TV show doing a story about partition and directly, repeatedly saying, "the British Raj really hosed this one up with their complete carelessness, causing hundreds of thousands of deaths" is huge. I was a little leery of an alien villain, but of course they're just a red herring that's entirely peripheral to the main story, which is entirely about human tragedy.

Like, the partition of India is a gigantic part of world history that straight up doesn't get taught in schools. It's huge, and history syllabuses avoid it because it raises uncomfortable questions about Britain's role in world history. Doctor Who doing an episode that's almost just a straight historical about the carnage of partition is a gigantic, bold social move, and it helps that it was a good episode too.

I found that episode pretty fascinating for this reason. The partition is not something I really knew about over here in the US. Other than a footnote about shifting borders in the middle east.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah the partition largely doesn't get glossed over so much as completely loving ignored in history as far as I can tell, and it was good that they pointed out just how loving horrible it was in concept and execution.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Antiquated Pants posted:

I found that episode pretty fascinating for this reason. The partition is not something I really knew about over here in the US. Other than a footnote about shifting borders in the middle east.

middle?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mameluke posted:

They kinda did this with the last one, but as seems to be de riguer nowadays, they were accomplices to The Master/Missy.

A lot of times people don't seem to know what to do with the Cybermen. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always wanted to see a story where the Cybermen are fighting in a war and then they hit some point where their territory/numbers etc put them in an unassailable position... and they just stop. Like, stop everything. They just stand in place or go into hibernation or something because they reached a point where their survival was no longer threatened and therefore there was no point to continuing the fight. Then the very second somebody attempts some aggression they just immediately hit unpause and go on the offensive again till the enemy realizes the safest thing to do is to just not engage with them.

It doesn't quite fit in with their parallels with Communism/The Red Menace, I just always thought that would be a neat story.