Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bardeh posted:

I don't know if this counts as a drive-by shitpost, but whatever. I watched an hour or so of streams of this today, and I'm really struggling to see why on earth it's so popular and anticipated. The dialogue is overlong, cheesy, and often just cringe-inducing. The voice acting is pretty fuckin awful. The performance looks inconsistent. Combat looks fun enough, I guess, but nothing particularly special or groundbreaking, and there was more than one fight where the camera was godawful. What am I missing?

A heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

sexpig by night posted:

is Proud Mode a complete dick punch this game?

Nope. It's smooth sailing so far. Comparable to starting 2 on Proud.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be that guy and say you can't "get" Kingdom Hearts by watching someone else play it for an hour.

Yeah watching a stream of KH3 first couple hours would be like only showing someone blended footage of the back half of a Dragonball Z and expecting them to care.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I just skipped to the last page so I'm sorry if this has been asked but is there a KH2-style Critical Mode? Specifically KH2-style, as I want to have fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In the final battle with Xehanort's Heartless in KH1, one of "Ansem, Seeker of Darkness"' 's battle quotes is
"Still confused? Perhaps this will enlighten you!"

quote:

en·light·en

verb
-give (someone) greater knowledge and understanding about a subject or situation.
"Christopher had not enlightened Frances as to their relationship"
synonyms: inform, make aware, notify, tell, advise, let know, illuminate, open someone's eyes, apprise; More
antonyms: keep in the dark

-give (someone) spiritual knowledge or insight.
synonyms: civilize, bring civilization to, bring culture to; More
antonyms: stultify

ARCHAIC
shed light on (an object).

:thunk:

...god dammit when is this delivery arriving I just want to play Kingdom Hearts III

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I just skipped to the last page so I'm sorry if this has been asked but is there a KH2-style Critical Mode? Specifically KH2-style, as I want to have fun.

Nope, no critical mode at all. Will probably show up in an update somewhere down the line, I'd be surprised if it didn't. Maybe the extra bit of time will let them balance it better

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 29, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be that guy and say you can't "get" Kingdom Hearts by watching someone else play it for an hour.

Sure, and I fully accept that I obviously don't have a nuanced view on this. But the constituent parts seem so....I dunno, just kinda lame. I'm all for an epic story spanning multiple games with a wide cast of characters, I'd just expect the story to be a little better delivered than the cheesefest this game seems to be.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bardeh posted:

Sure, and I fully accept that I obviously don't have a nuanced view on this. But the constituent parts seem so....I dunno, just kinda lame. I'm all for an epic story spanning multiple games with a wide cast of characters, I'd just expect the story to be a little better delivered than the cheesefest this game seems to be.

"cheesefest" is the essence of kingdom hearts.
it's a ridiculous and silly story that you can laugh at and have fun with or marvel at whatever crazy thing is happening next but also occasionally delivers some genuinely emotional moments.
it's dumb teen melodrama in the best way possible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bardeh posted:

it's not. the series was always a "celebration" of excess helmed by a man trapped in both a perpetual midlife crisis and one of the worst-organized game developers in the industry, and it collapsed into its own bizarre and ill-explained metaphysical lore years ago

people who play it enjoy it for the color and noise but seldom look or hope for anything deeper

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Let me face let me face let me face my fears :hai:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man the combat is so good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tolth posted:

C'mon, you definitely don't need to grind for any significant length of time to beat a Kingdom Hearts game on normal difficulty.

Not doing so resulted in me being massively underleveled for the difficulty spike that occurs after you beat Hollow Bastion, resulting in taking huge damage from pretty much everything above a Shadow, let alone late game bosses like Ansem

In 2 this basically led to the same problem with the Roxas fight

CharlestonJew posted:

Phil's Japanese VA died and Japan has a thing where they usually just kill off the character instead of replacing their VA

Which is possibly the single absolute stupidest thing in all of Japanese culture

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

Not doing so resulted in me being massively underleveled for the difficulty spike that occurs after you beat Hollow Bastion, resulting in taking huge damage from pretty much everything above a Shadow, let alone late game bosses like Ansem

In 2 this basically led to the same problem with the Roxas fight

Which is possibly the single absolute stupidest thing in all of Japanese culture

It leads to losing Col Cambel and King Kai. That or you get weird ones like Igor from Persona 5.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not true anyway, Kenshiro, Lupin III and plenty of other characters have had VA's who died and they just replace them. There's occasionally some weirdness if a character has a still living VA that can't return for whatever reason though.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The combat is fantastic so far (just finished mount olympus). The one complaint I have is that with all the cool abilities they give you from the start, not having any recovery abilities kind of blows and kills my rhythm. Hopefully I unlock that soon since I feel like it's essential early on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not true anyway, Kenshiro, Lupin III and plenty of other characters have had VA's who died and they just replace them. There's occasionally some weirdness if a character has a still living VA that can't return for whatever reason though.

I think it mostly just depends on how important that character is to the story overall. For example in the Sonic series, Eggman/Robotnik's VA (who I think was also the Japanese voice of Master Xehanort) died recently and was replaced starting with Forces.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Thinking about it, Kingdom Hearts II.9 is the cheekiest poo poo

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Larryb posted:

I think it mostly just depends on how important that character is to the story overall. For example in the Sonic series, Eggman/Robotnik's VA (who I think was also the Japanese voice of Master Xehanort) died recently and was replaced starting with Forces.

Looks like they tend to retire the advisory characters like the above mention Phil, Campbell, and King Kai.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bardeh posted:

I don't know if this counts as a drive-by shitpost, but whatever. I watched an hour or so of streams of this today, and I'm really struggling to see why on earth it's so popular and anticipated. The dialogue is overlong, cheesy, and often just cringe-inducing. The voice acting is pretty fuckin awful. The performance looks inconsistent. Combat looks fun enough, I guess, but nothing particularly special or groundbreaking, and there was more than one fight where the camera was godawful. What am I missing?

This is such a weird thing to post. Hey megathread about this game you're playing and you're all obviously big fans of, why do you all like it so much, it looks like it sucks! I don't get it????

Also man, the Hercules style was not made for 3D

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Mother Gothel’s Heartless is the most spectacular heartless boss this series has had holy poo poo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

God I'm having too much fun in selfie mode.

I hope there ends up being selfie tech in the speedruns.

I hope I can take a selfie during the final boss.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if Sora being all "these things take time" at the beginning is Square being cheeky.

Macaluso posted:

Also man, the Hercules style was not made for 3D
Hades looks great, as does Meg.

Zeus is iffy. He's not buff enough.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:psyduck: I can't figure out how to do this lock on jumpy thing it wants me to do to get to the next part of Olympus. If I get to a block he'll reset his view forward and I can't move the camera fast enough to face it upward to a new block. What on earth am I doing wrong here

edit: God I finally got up. What a loving weird janky mechanic. It seemed to work how it was supposed to after the second platform but it just wasn't happening on the first part

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 29, 2019

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck: I can't figure out how to do this lock on jumpy thing it wants me to do to get to the next part of Olympus. If I get to a block he'll reset his view forward and I can't move the camera fast enough to face it upward to a new block. What on earth am I doing wrong here

Just go straight to the glowing destination.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Just go straight to the glowing destination.

That was easier said than done my friend

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Macaluso posted:

That was easier said than done my friend

Worked for me :shrug:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Should’ve been Kingdom Hearts II.999999....

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Bardeh posted:

KH is just dumb fun. It's cheesy and doesn't make sense. A videogame in it's true essence, one that you turn your brain off and have fun playing it and laughing your rear end at every dramatical nonsense the game tries to throw your way. The Fifth Element of videogames. Obviously this doesn't translate well if you just watching someone else play it. I think no one in this thread is playing KH because they consider it a serious game with an actually good plot. Those kind of players you can find wheezing on twitter about "Nomura better not kill my blueberry waifu" or in game store's parking lots about to shiv your undeserving rear end for getting the first copy of the game.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The EU Playstation store wasn't working this morning, so I couldn't redeem my Starlight keyblade code from the mobile game. I'm now a few hours into KH3, and was just able to redeem the code, but the keyblade isn't showing up in my inventory, even after a restart. Am I boned? Can you only get it on a new game file?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't know how to handle there being actual extras in the worlds

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm the npc in twilight town that just yells Hamburger

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, why is my order still out for delivery. I go to work at 5 today so I won't get to play much since I imagine it has a 20 GB patch to download.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm the npc in twilight town that just yells Hamburger

Lets...STRUGGLE!!!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hahaha, just how out of the loop is Sora? He's known Hercules for three games and only now found out Herc is a god?

Gameplay questions:

1. What's the point of the MP Safety ability? Doesn't MP normally trigger a recharge when it runs out, regardless of whether you cure or not? What's a safety about that?

2. How the gently caress do you steer the Pegasus finisher on the Olympus keyblade or at least have a grasp of who you're targeting?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

Argue posted:

Hahaha, just how out of the loop is Sora? He's known Hercules for three games and only now found out Herc is a god?

Gameplay questions:

1. What's the point of the MP Safety ability? Doesn't MP normally trigger a recharge when it runs out, regardless of whether you cure or not? What's a safety about that?

2. How the gently caress do you steer the Pegasus finisher on the Olympus keyblade or at least have a grasp of who you're targeting?

I don't know about the Pegasus finisher but with mp safety normally when you run out of mp it starts recharging and mp pickups shorten the recharge time with mp safety it doesn't start recharging meaning any mp pickups you get will be added immediately and you can cast again faster but it won't' automatically recharge to full. It seems to be there if you liked the KH1 mp system instead of the KH2 one.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Argue posted:

Because it never ever came up.

Olympus never was talked about, Hades never called him family and the only descriptions for Herc have been HERO HERO HERO and Wonder Boy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

holy poo poo I'm playing KH3

EDIT: I think the entire reason for the HD remasters was so they would have high-res versions of those cutscenes to use in flashbacks and montages, lol

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 29, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:lol: "I can't computer so... do that!" fuckin Sora.

Also whoever this lab guy is on the other end of the phone... fuckin move your hair out of your face!!!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Augus posted:

EDIT: I think the entire reason for the HD remasters was so they would have high-res versions of those cutscenes to use in flashbacks and montages, lol
Flashing back to GBA sprites would be funnier but then we wouldn't have Marluxia's "explode into flowers" death scene in Re:CoM.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

:lol: "I can't computer so... do that!" fuckin Sora.

Also whoever this lab guy is on the other end of the phone... fuckin move your hair out of your face!!!!

Remember when Sora just mashed the keyboard and pissed off the MCP doing that.

gently caress, my copy isn't due to 9 PM tonight. And I go to work at 5. Last time I am pre-ordering from Amazon.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's funny to me that apparently Jiminy Cricket is smartphone savvy.