Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Or just get the stepup mod like I do and have that 'ability' for free. One block stepup really should be vanilla, at this point... Terraria has it natively and it's a huge help.

Am I confused at what stepup is, because I thought there is one block stepup in vanilla. The thing that makes you automatically jump up to the next block when you move against it if it's one block high? It's pretty annoying except on bedrock edition (where it was first added) and I make sure to turn it off in any fresh 1.12+ install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Potsticker posted:

Am I confused at what stepup is, because I thought there is one block stepup in vanilla. The thing that makes you automatically jump up to the next block when you move against it if it's one block high? It's pretty annoying except on bedrock edition (where it was first added) and I make sure to turn it off in any fresh 1.12+ install.

Step-up is like that, but instead of jumping, you just pop up to the next block, without breaking your stride or your sprint. It's the same thing as what horses do when you ride them over one block step ups.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ah, gotcha. I could definitely see that it would make getting around vanilla terrain generation smoother like that, but I feel like that's part of what makes getting around "rough" and gives impetus to the player to build stuff using half slabs and stairs to make paths that are more easily walkable.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Cook apples in a furnace, they go a LOT further than the juice, which is nerfed a lot relative to how it used to be.

Are you taking damage? The new regen scheme since... 1.10? makes you regen health really really fast, but it eats up satiation almost instantly to do it

Did you activate the ability urn that you got when you started? I've only seen a couple skills and I don't *think* those would eat hunger but I have no idea about other ones

It's probably my abilities doing it. Ive got 3. luck, strength and, and...... something else. I might take them off as i dont really need them.

And now that my cooker works on rf, i will be cooking apples rather than jucing them :)

Though im sort of lost in this pack. No gates no forced progression yet i still hold myself back ><

I ended up making the pump jack and refinery tower using survivalist generators with the aim of making the IE diesel gen. but said, nar, and cranched out some compression dynamo's instead ><

Oh im also powering through embers (i dont like embers) so just making the item and putting it in a chest is good. Though now it wants dawnstone... hopefully i dont need embers for anything later on as i dont really want to make a set up for it.

And milk. murder cows dont give milk, so the only way to get milk is to soulium daggar murder cows for chunks, then make the seed for the essense? I need to make a cow in a jar, but you need milk for the jar ><

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What are some commonly-accepted options for increasing early-game carrying capacity these days? I'm thinking of trying to dodge leather or else make leather easier to get. I think the old MFR plastic bags didn't carry forward into Industrial Foregoing. Some pack I had played did have a process to turn rotten flesh into leather, but I can't recall what did it. I figured cloth bags are my best bet if there's a mod that generally does that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Iron Backpacks and the Bag of Holding from Extra Utilities are the ones I feel like I see most often, along with the Satchel from Thermal Expansion.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are some commonly-accepted options for increasing early-game carrying capacity these days? I'm thinking of trying to dodge leather or else make leather easier to get. I think the old MFR plastic bags didn't carry forward into Industrial Foregoing. Some pack I had played did have a process to turn rotten flesh into leather, but I can't recall what did it. I figured cloth bags are my best bet if there's a mod that generally does that.

Odds are the mod you're thinking of that turns rotten flesh into leather is Actually Additions. The Atomic Reconstructor machine has a default option to convert flesh into leather.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Maguoob posted:

Odds are the mod you're thinking of that turns rotten flesh into leather is Actually Additions. The Atomic Reconstructor machine has a default option to convert flesh into leather.

It wasn't a machine but rather a rack. I assumed it was Tinkers Construct but I read that capability was removed from its rack in 1.12.2. Specifically, turning rotten flesh into leather was removed. I was playing some pack in that version since I was definitely playing around with Thaumcraft 6 at the same time.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It wasn't a machine but rather a rack. I assumed it was Tinkers Construct but I read that capability was removed from its rack in 1.12.2. Specifically, turning rotten flesh into leather was removed. I was playing some pack in that version since I was definitely playing around with Thaumcraft 6 at the same time.

Well without knowing which pack you were playing it is hard to guess. It might have been a pack specific change to drying racks to add the flesh to leather recipe.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

There is a mod that adds a cake that gives you an entire storage. cake of storage or something.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The mod simply called Backpacks is really good. Very simple, practical, does what you need without a lot of frills. Very customizable in many ways, also offers a few cool (and useful) options like backpacks that open to the same inventory so you and your pal you're playing with in MP can share items through it even if you're spelunking in different areas.
Or have one guy caving while another builds/works up above, so you can have one player feeding supplies and torches and tools down while the other sends up ores and mob drops to be stored.

Potsticker posted:

Ah, gotcha. I could definitely see that it would make getting around vanilla terrain generation smoother like that, but I feel like that's part of what makes getting around "rough" and gives impetus to the player to build stuff using half slabs and stairs to make paths that are more easily walkable.
I'd buy into this mindset myself if the natural terrain wasn't totally lacking slopes/stairs/slabs itself. I get making constructions navigable by design but the idea you can't walk up a hill or even across a gentle plain without having to jump is stupid.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

There is a mod that adds a cake that gives you an entire storage. cake of storage or something.

Cyclic is the mod that adds it, Inventory Upgrade I think. I always get it from rewards in Stoneblock. Second one doesn’t add a third inventory, but it fills satiation well

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Maguoob posted:

It is the same mod that was also in PO2, compacter, just search for it in JEI. It requires RF to operate, but it has multiple modes of operation you can choose. The middle of the 3 buttons in its UI it where you select the crafting option (3x3, 2x2, try 3x3 first then 2x2, etc).

Edit: If you use the "Try 3x3 recipes first" option you will need to blacklist coal (via your transport system not the compacter itself), otherwise you will end it with it crafting the 2x2 recipe regardless wasting a ton of coal on that useless recipe.

Aha, this was it, thank you. I didn't think to look for "compacter" because compacter isn't the right spelling. :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Maguoob posted:

Well without knowing which pack you were playing it is hard to guess. It might have been a pack specific change to drying racks to add the flesh to leather recipe.

It might have been Enigmatica 2. That's the most-recently-played one that isn't my own custom instances. I think I'll load it up tonight and see if it all comes up.

I had the Backpacks mod already in my instance, but it looks like it required leather. I assume Iron Backpacks was the same.

What I'm looking for more fundamentally is an easy capability to wander around the Overworld a bit before committing to a permanent spot. I used to be able to clobber together some plastic bags and carry along the essentials for a few trips, but those are gone. My fallback then was cloth bags of some kind from a bunch of cotton, and I can't find that anywhere anymore either. Then I could go for the spectral dimension key, but that now requires an ender pearl. It also seems like the spirits I need for it don't show up as often as I remembered. This is then all compounded by filling up my inventory with mystical flowers and Pam's Harvestcraft stuff. I now have to resort to teleporting between temporary camps once I've found a nice place to move all this random stuff I acquired along the way.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It might have been Enigmatica 2. That's the most-recently-played one that isn't my own custom instances. I think I'll load it up tonight and see if it all comes up.

I had the Backpacks mod already in my instance, but it looks like it required leather. I assume Iron Backpacks was the same.

What I'm looking for more fundamentally is an easy capability to wander around the Overworld a bit before committing to a permanent spot. I used to be able to clobber together some plastic bags and carry along the essentials for a few trips, but those are gone. My fallback then was cloth bags of some kind from a bunch of cotton, and I can't find that anywhere anymore either. Then I could go for the spectral dimension key, but that now requires an ender pearl. It also seems like the spirits I need for it don't show up as often as I remembered. This is then all compounded by filling up my inventory with mystical flowers and Pam's Harvestcraft stuff. I now have to resort to teleporting between temporary camps once I've found a nice place to move all this random stuff I acquired along the way.

Shove poo poo in a chest and dolly the chest? I mean I get why a real-world person is fixated on the idea of a bag of some kind since that'd make more sense for the real-world and all...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

chairface posted:

Shove poo poo in a chest and dolly the chest? I mean I get why a real-world person is fixated on the idea of a bag of some kind since that'd make more sense for the real-world and all...

Doesn't the dolly impede movement?

I've pondered just leaning on strongboxes too since tin is fairly common and can be pulled out of the ground with stone tools.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Botania's got a flower pouch for holding flowers, FYI. 5 wool and a petal.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Doesn't the dolly impede movement?

I've pondered just leaning on strongboxes too since tin is fairly common and can be pulled out of the ground with stone tools.

Move it from your hotbar to your inventory. That used to work, at least.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

IE storage crates retain inventory, too, though you need treated wood for that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Something else I can do is just give the player a backpack or make it easy to buy one or whatever.

What was getting to me here is I could have sworn in the past two years or so that there was some kind of cloth-based backpack made out of wool that came in a variety of colors. Using wool would be a lot easier than leather due to all the various ways to harvest base materials from plants in different biomes. So I was trying to angle for that. All I can find online are these canvas bags from RedPower 2, which is well before my time with all this.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Botania's got a flower pouch for holding flowers, FYI. 5 wool and a petal.

This does sound very convenient though. That would reduce some of the crap but there will still be the Pam's stuff even just rummaging through the Overworld without wandering too much.

chairface posted:

Move it from your hotbar to your inventory. That used to work, at least.

I didn't think it worked any more but I'd have to check. Of more concern is relying on iron; I am trying to assume they haven't even gotten into the ores at this point and are just kind of scraping around.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This does sound very convenient though. That would reduce some of the crap but there will still be the Pam's stuff even just rummaging through the Overworld without wandering too much.

Hold sneak while breaking the gardens, and you'll pick up the entire garden without busting it into multiple food items. As a bonus, once you do settle, you can plant them again and they will spread.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Something else I can do is just give the player a backpack or make it easy to buy one or whatever.

What was getting to me here is I could have sworn in the past two years or so that there was some kind of cloth-based backpack made out of wool that came in a variety of colors. Using wool would be a lot easier than leather due to all the various ways to harvest base materials from plants in different biomes. So I was trying to angle for that. All I can find online are these canvas bags from RedPower 2, which is well before my time with all this.

I think you're describing Bagginses

The backpacks are 4 string, 4 wool, and a chest, and the color wool determines color of backpack

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I imagine I'm getting annoying, but I'm learning a lot from all this:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hold sneak while breaking the gardens, and you'll pick up the entire garden without busting it into multiple food items. As a bonus, once you do settle, you can plant them again and they will spread.

Now that's another nice thing I didn't know.

Devor posted:

I think you're describing Bagginses

The backpacks are 4 string, 4 wool, and a chest, and the color wool determines color of backpack

I looked this up and it appears not since it only goes up to 1.10.2. It's a shame though since I think I'd just use it even if it wasn't exactly what I remembered.

Does anybody remember which mod back when had those very specific bags that looked like messenger bags? I think one was for cobblestone and another was an "engineer's backpack" or something similar. I'm wondering if I'm thinking of that after all. I don't think whatever that was specifically survived to 1.12.2. I'm not talking about the crafting backpack; I know that one's around and that requires leather.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody remember which mod back when had those very specific bags that looked like messenger bags? I think one was for cobblestone and another was an "engineer's backpack" or something similar. I'm wondering if I'm thinking of that after all. I don't think whatever that was specifically survived to 1.12.2. I'm not talking about the crafting backpack; I know that one's around and that requires leather.

Sounds like you're thinking of Forestry's backpacks?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

taiyoko posted:

Sounds like you're thinking of Forestry's backpacks?

Maybe. I guess I couldn't find it because I didn't include Forestry. But it looks like it doesn't default to having a general-purpose one. I dunno what I was thinking of now. Maybe I had a stroke or something?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Aha, this was it, thank you. I didn't think to look for "compacter" because compacter isn't the right spelling. :v:

Partial searches are your friend.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I recently realized the thermal expansion bags have a void bag with whitelisting so you can just eliminate poo poo you don't want as soon as you touch it, which is nice. You can have bags pull specific stuff into them too. Reminds me of some of the poo poo you could do with dartcraft bags years ago.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
The cyclic bags of storage are pretty good sized and my usual go to but I don't remember what it takes to make them.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
does anyone have any modpack recommendations for technic? just bought the game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mycroft Holmes posted:

does anyone have any modpack recommendations for technic? just bought the game.

blightfall

e: if you have literally 0 experience with modded minecraft i'd actually recommend baby's first space race, which actually does a pretty good job of introducing common mods and how they work

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 30, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

President Ark posted:

Baby's first space race

Blightfall wasn't too bad, but I felt it really dragged in the latter half.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The first half is so good that even if it turned into literally gregtech halfway through it'd still be 'play the first half.'

But yes start with BFSR.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bag chat - I'm rather a fan of the dank null mod.
Lots of space, good configuration, and has a docking station that can automatically extract the items, with the mentioned configuration allowing you to set each items extract settings individually.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I popped open this old Enigmatic 2 instance from awhile ago and figured out it was the Integrated Dynamics drying basin that took care of leather for me. It also had Forestry so I might have seen the bags there. However, the drying basin gives an alternate path for leather so I'm going to dabble in being a wandering hobo that way. I'm seeing how well I can do without really getting into metals.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Anyone doing Project Ozone 3 having issues with embers? I have a Pressure Refinery with 4800 ember inside of it, an Ember Emitter with 200 ember inside of it and I an not get an Ember Receptor to complete the connection. I've tried putting the receiver on a Copper Cell and a Mixer Centrifuge (with gold/copper liquid pumped into it) and my receptors and emitters refuse to make any type of connection. I don't get the proper sound when shift+right clicking the emitter and receptor.

I tore everything down and set it back up like this . The emitter on the left will not connect to the receptor on the right. My hammer shows that it is targeting the emitter. The lever is set to off in the screenshot, but even with it on it does nothing.

I've looked at a few embers youtube videos and I'm not doing anything different yet my poo poo just doesn't work.

I did what is always IT solution #1, I restarted the loving pack and it decided it will now work.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 30, 2019

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Usually when I start a new pack, I quickly make a base near spawn, like just start tunneling into the nearest hill & wack a door on. I consider it a temporary base, so it's all just functional and I'm not worrying about making it look nice. Then later on when I'm swimming in resources, I'll build a proper base & I'll think about making it actually aesthetically pleasing instead of being purely functional

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Light Gun Man posted:

I recently realized the thermal expansion bags have a void bag with whitelisting so you can just eliminate poo poo you don't want as soon as you touch it, which is nice. You can have bags pull specific stuff into them too. Reminds me of some of the poo poo you could do with dartcraft bags years ago.

Fwiw, the Dartcraft modder has been dropping hints in Twitch chats that they're closing in on finishing a new version of Dartcraft. Not sure what version of Minecraft it's being developed for, but I assume it's 1.12.2 or 1.13.x at this point. With any luck it'll at least end up being a new set of weird stuff to further inspire the latter-day modding world.

It's nice that base MC is finally starting to ramp up the rate of change a bit with the new utility blocks, mob variety and a native quasi-API for adapting what's there. Still has some way to go with underground/nether/end variation and a some good, deep revamps of its many unfinished game subsystems (combat/portals/enchanting/mob-A.I.'s/ingame-documentation/etc.) though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Blightfall wasn't too bad, but I felt it really dragged in the latter half.

Speaking of blightfall. Have there been anymore big story based packs like that since? I remember blightfall was unique because it had this cool lead up with a website with items you could interact with updating every day in the week leading to its release.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Speaking of blightfall. Have there been anymore big story based packs like that since? I remember blightfall was unique because it had this cool lead up with a website with items you could interact with updating every day in the week leading to its release.

I think Exoria is the only really big "story" pack to come out in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think Exoria is the only really big "story" pack to come out in recent memory.

Craft of the Titans 2 had some story to it, but had absolutely garbage performance for a combat-centric mod. Looks like it's still being updated, so I'll give it another try