Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just keep grinding your face into it until you either turn into a god, or get burnt out and quit, like everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Firstborn posted:

I'm really loving bad at this game. Everybody in Duel I see has fire swirling around them and zebra print armor and wrecks me. I think Conq is the lamest poo poo to face, I have no idea what to do against his shield -> light -> shield -> light, I can never seem to parry, I just run out of stamina and die. This game can be super satisfying and at most other times feel like complete horseshit!

Side dodge the shield bash thing. Like if you're kensei just do his side dodge heavy attack every time you see that move. Overall its very difficult to counter though and you seem to have the same experience with the game as me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Firstborn posted:

Anybody still play this? How dead is the PC version?

It's not dead at all. Queues are fast (for 4v4) and there seems to be a lot of people playing it still. Lots of current guides and stuff on youtube as well. I left the game shortly after launch but I've since returned and I'm happy to see it in such a good place nowadays

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just reinstalled it after the vortiger reveal and I never got to play around with any of the chinese heroes except for Tiandi. I was really looking forward to Nuxia but man she's just..really boring? She only has one combo which is just 3 L/H attacks and the traps and that's it. I was expecting so much more than that given how crazy the tools the others get.

Yeah, Nuxia is not in a good place right now. She has 400ms light attacks which means her attacks are some of the fastest in the game which can destroy mediocre players as they can't keep up. But she falls apart completely against people who can block well and parry. Her traps will miss as often as they hit and in groupmodes she will be constantly interrupted :(

It's a shame too because she has my favourite emotes and executions in the game and her high level Geisha armor is neat

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Firstborn posted:

I'm really loving bad at this game. Everybody in Duel I see has fire swirling around them and zebra print armor and wrecks me. I think Conq is the lamest poo poo to face, I have no idea what to do against his shield -> light -> shield -> light, I can never seem to parry, I just run out of stamina and die. This game can be super satisfying and at most other times feel like complete horseshit!

Conquerors are some of the best duelers in the game so anyone will have a poo poo time against a really good conqueror. Generally speaking, if they are turtling you will either have to feint mindfuck them or use a bash of some sort to open them up. Also know that when they do fullblock mode you can grab them and they can''t get out of it. Some heroes counter other heroes really well as well. My kensei makes mincemeat out of conquerors for example, due to his moveset

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 24, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Yeah, Nuxia is not in a good place right now. She has 400ms light attacks which means her attacks are some of the fastest in the game which can destroy mediocre players as they can't keep up. But she falls apart completely against people who can block well and parry. Her traps will miss as often as they hit and in groupmodes she will be constantly interrupted :(

It's a shame too because she has my favourite emotes and executions in the game and her high level Geisha armor is neat

Seriously, the amount of times I carelessly get killed by loving Orochis that do nothing but just spam light attack even in the face of incoming attacks :negative:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Here's the new character, Vortiger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvCktsFva_8

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
And the armor sets :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyYYAOYYRgw

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I realllllly wanna skip forward and see what they have in store for the big war maul viking. Will be the first viking I play probably.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gently caress that give me axe bandit samurai

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Here's the new character, Vortiger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvCktsFva_8

Those undodgeable heavies are gonna be hilarious against Assassins. :getin:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Just got my rear end beat so bad I have decided the game sucks now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Looks like Shugoki is finally getting that much-needed overhaul:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ2dRaHwY9g

Highlights:
- Uninterruptible stance is no longer a passive, instead it'll be directly associated with most (but not all) attacks. The extra damage suffered is also gone.
- Lights come out a faster now, so you can actually initiate without instantly being parried
- Heavies can now be feinted even if they've been charged to be unblockable
- Probably the biggest one: Headbutt is no longer guaranteed, but also doesn't knock the enemy away as much. This turns it into a set-up for a mixup between light, unblockable, and hug, which is apparently intended as Shugoki's new "thing".
- The hug is faster, but can't be started from neutral anymore. Instead it's a follow-up for throws, headbutts, and can be feinted into from a heavy
- The hug also doesn't instakill anymore if Shugoki is at low health, but it does completely replenish stamina now

I sure hope that'll work out alright, because goddamn the Fat Man is the best and really needs some love.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah the Fat Boi changes seem pretty nuts to me. He's going to be really competitive with just about everyone now

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
They lowered his HP and damage across the board :(

Also now if either friendlies or enemies hit you while hugging someone they are released. Not sure how I feel about all the changes yet, guess we will see when it goes live on 31st.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Until I get my hands on the changes I'm considering this a side grade with some upsides. Best thing is the removal of extra dmg taken.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The shugoki has been regularly listed as the single worst hero in the game for quite a few seasons now.

I mean yeah, you can gank someone every once in a while with his bullshit hug but that was a stupid gimmick at best. Now he might actually have really good combos to use

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If it's like the valk update (which I've softened on over time) you're looking at some minor upgrades at best.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Any of y'all got a good gladiator guide? I feel like I'm using a quarter of their tool kit at most cause I'll be hosed if I can get the rest of it to fire for me at all, let alone reliably.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The shugoki has been regularly listed as the single worst hero in the game for quite a few seasons now.

I mean yeah, you can gank someone every once in a while with his bullshit hug but that was a stupid gimmick at best. Now he might actually have really good combos to use

As long as he still has the golf throw, he's still top meme tier. And that's what really matters.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Capn Beeb posted:

Any of y'all got a good gladiator guide? I feel like I'm using a quarter of their tool kit at most cause I'll be hosed if I can get the rest of it to fire for me at all, let alone reliably.

Gladiator is good in 1v1 and good at ganking in 4v4 but terrible at surviving ganks.

For his combos, start out with something like this:

Light attack -> Heavy attack -> feint into toe stab or guardbreak

or

Light attack -> Heavy attack -> feint into another light attack

or

Light attack -> skewer -> feint into whatever (or let the skewer go through if the guy you're fighting is bad or to gently caress with his head)

Those are gonna be your bread and butter attacks. You can also dodge and light attack people to initiate your combos.

Punches are mostly to put pressure on your opponent because they will "daze" them and make it hard for them to see for a second or two.

Here's an indepth guide. It goes over the basic moveset and about halfway through goes through the combos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rFu15UkaF0

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Oh yeah and his Zone Attack is great so use it all the time

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm really surprised by how much I'm enjoying Tiandi. On first glance the moveset actually looked a bit bland, but in practice it's actually coming together really nicely. It's just fun to be constantly floating around like a butterfly and the mobility is seriously useful in group fights. Plus I just have a weakness for huge broad swords. Probably my favourite character from Marching Fire, which I really hadn't expected.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Tiandi is great and one of the loudest most annoying heroes in the game

Kicking a dude off a cliff while you're angrily screaming in chinese is a Perfect Gaming Moment

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tiandi and shaolin have unmatched yelling games

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Capn Beeb posted:

Dodge punch, feint the heavy into a guard break, or sometimes dont and heavy from a different direction. Feint the gut stab into a toe poke. Dodge back from the enemy and throw out a light into a gut stab and be surprised at how far you'll lunge forward. Then throw them into an available wall for a free heavy. Also works from deflect.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Centurion is a one trick pony and his one trick is only good for killing shitters like me I hate him so much

Comrayn fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 29, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i cant tell you how many times i see the charged unblockable heavy coming a mile away but gently caress up the insanely easy parry and take like a billion damage

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The new hero is out and the Shugoki rework is great

Unfortunately they broke matchmaking so every other game results in a frozen "looking for players" screen

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

This is coming to PS4 for free next week and I'm excited, oddly, to finish the SP. I was TERRIBLE at the MP when I owned the disc version but I think it could be fun to finish the campaign and just beat down on some bots :cheers:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

i cant tell you how many times i see the charged unblockable heavy coming a mile away but gently caress up the insanely easy parry and take like a billion damage

:same:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I kinda want to like Breach, but the way they implemented minions in there is just impressively terrible. Yes, let's take the already awkward unlocked combat and spice it up with a bunch of enemies who take several hits do kill, do fairly chunky damage, will block your movement and dodges, and can interrupt your executions and revives. There's nothing remotely interesting about fighting them or near them. They're just 100% a pointless pain in the rear end.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They're just the soldiers from the single player campaign mostly

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Man, I kinda want to like Breach, but the way they implemented minions in there is just impressively terrible. Yes, let's take the already awkward unlocked combat and spice it up with a bunch of enemies who take several hits do kill, do fairly chunky damage, will block your movement and dodges, and can interrupt your executions and revives. There's nothing remotely interesting about fighting them or near them. They're just 100% a pointless pain in the rear end.

i like nuxia in breach because her caltrops just melt the pikemen minions. theyre set and forget, dump them in a crowd of minions like flypaper then theyll all die and you dont even have to worry

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Perestroika posted:

do fairly chunky damage and can interrupt your executions and revives

These are my only real gripes, I'm fine with there being more significant interaction with the mook enemies, but them turning into blenders at the drop of a hat sometimes is hosed up.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I suck so bad at this loving game.

Also, they aren't 100% the mooks from single-player. In single-player, you get to do all sorts of cinematic kills on them. That's at least cool to look at.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They used to use the cinematic mook kills in MP, but it turns out that cinematic also works out to lovely when the goal is clearing them as fast as possible. People were just using their guard stance moves or playing the characters who's cinematic moves were super fast. They just normalized it to make the balance better.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
For Honor's still pretty good you guys.

https://youtu.be/jv8eIBOuZBI

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

7c Nickel posted:

They used to use the cinematic mook kills in MP, but it turns out that cinematic also works out to lovely when the goal is clearing them as fast as possible.

The real answer was probably being lazy about making cool kills for Wulin. Seriously though I hate that change, the special animations on tearing up mooks had a lot of character in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

How active is the community in this game? I've always been kind of interested in but just didn't get around to it. Got a bit of time so I'd like to give it a spin but don't know how awful it's going to be as a complete newbie.