Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Hustlin Floh posted:

You loving nerds, I don't even remember any of the plot to Holes. I just remember Shia was in it.

I remember the song they made for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLsCR2RMBak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

hackbunny posted:

The book that cured me of any dreams of working in videogames or other creative industries. Christ you really have to have negative self-respect to last long enough to start a career

yeah man, I worked on a lot of the same projects so you can imagine the stories

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Mikey Neumann did the writing for brothers in arms and a friend of mine had to go back through his scripts and fix everything because his competence level was 12 year old playing with plastic army men.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

30.5 Days posted:

Mikey Neumann did the writing for brothers in arms and a friend of mine had to go back through his scripts and fix everything because his competence level was 12 year old playing with plastic army men.

Mikey also wrote Borderlands, lol

here's where the cars live!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

^Admiral Mikey was such a good bit.

Shear Modulus posted:

the superhero movies are going to have plot holes because they choreograph and film all the action scenes and everything that needs years of computer graphics before the script is even finalized and the writers have to write around them no matter how little sense they make

Actually that time goes to the sequel hook and spinoff teases nowadays and they cut two fights and five character defining dialogues to fit it. See also Venom.

Big Hubris has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Jan 29, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hustlin Floh posted:

You loving nerds, I don't even remember any of the plot to Holes. I just remember Shia was in it.

I remember he ate the fifty eggs.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Holes eat the eggs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the main joke of the tweet isnt plot holes its that big budget scripts are being written by imbeciles with connections who get all the royalties while minimum wage interns try to make them readable and a guy who calls himself a film critic thinks standards are too high

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Anyone who talks about plot in games or comic book movies should be shot in the head.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

BULBASAUR posted:

yeah man, I worked on a lot of the same projects so you can imagine the stories

I can imagine them but I want to read them please

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

alternatively they're a popular thing to attack because they're considered technical errors so you can push the movie as Objectively Bad and not just something that you personally didn't dig

Critics who latch on to plot holes over anything else tend to be the type who are just really bad at articulating their problem with the bigger picture, yeah. See every single youtuber complaining about The Last Jedi.

Sure there are some really obvious glaring plot holes that really take you out of the experience momentarily, but all fiction has them to some degree and I cannot think of anything that was "ruined" by that alone.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

BioMe posted:

Critics who latch on to plot holes over anything else tend to be the type who are just really bad at articulating their problem with the bigger picture, yeah. See every single youtuber complaining about The Last Jedi.

Sure there are some really obvious glaring plot holes that really take you out of the experience momentarily, but all fiction has them to some degree and I cannot think of anything that was "ruined" by that alone.

Whoa, this isn't the "hot takes" thread, friend

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

alternatively they're a popular thing to attack because they're considered technical errors so you can push the movie as Objectively Bad and not just something that you personally didn't dig

lmao I'm pretty sure I know the exact youtube account you're talking about

but maybe I don't because there's an entire subgenre of these exact specific weirdos on youtube (who are all suspiciously obsessed with the new star wars movies in the exact same way, and all suspiciously cozy with a bunch of alt-right personalities)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the alt right rejected god for star wars

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SpaceGoku posted:

lmao I'm pretty sure I know the exact youtube account you're talking about

but maybe I don't because there's an entire subgenre of these exact specific weirdos on youtube (who are all suspiciously obsessed with the new star wars movies in the exact same way, and all suspiciously cozy with a bunch of alt-right personalities)

i wasn't even referring to anything specific, 'i don't like it ergo it's objectively bad' is all over modern internet discussions

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Some Guy TT posted:

the alt right rejected god for star wars

god's better off for it tbh

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Tastykake posted:

god's better off for it tbh

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I hate how people are overcorrecting against cinemasins's "smarmy asswipe who acts smug about being too stupid to understand the movie he's watching" and now saying that any part of a movie was dumb and does not make sense makes you a plothole nitpick licker like cinemasins

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
no way this is real.... right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_86qb7hlbJI
^ this but replace coke with coal

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

BioMe posted:

ebert did this a lot. it predates youtube

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have reluctantly come to realize over the years that ebert was actually bad he was a very liberal film critic in writing style as much as politics and this is the main basis for his reputation which was constantly signal boosted by similar institutions

what im saying is plot holes are the washington post fact checks of film criticism does that make sense

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC generally Ebert is praised for his way of looking at movies; trying to understand what the movie set out to accomplish, and rating it on how well it did that.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

the tweet was deleted, what did it say? the dude is familiar, since I remember him whining about aquaman making more money than mad max: fury road a few weeks ago.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

R. Guyovich posted:

ebert did this a lot. it predates youtube

When Ebert identified a plot hole in a good movie, he often did it with the disclaimer that the hole didn't really matter. When the plot hole was in a bad movie, it was pretty clear he spent a lot of time thinking about it because the movie was boring otherwise.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Equeen posted:

the tweet was deleted, what did it say? the dude is familiar, since I remember him whining about aquaman making more money than mad max: fury road a few weeks ago.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ah, okay. a youtube critic trying to make "hey, plot holes aren't that big of a deal" sound deep is nothing new.

thanks, tho

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ebert liked big black titties

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

like if you made him choose between them and movies he'd struggle but would probably end up choosing titties

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
idk he seemed to really enjoy hating battlefield earth

quote:

"Battlefield Earth" was written in 1980 by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology. The film contains no evidence of Scientology or any other system of thought; it is shapeless and senseless, without a compelling plot or characters we care for in the slightest. The director, Roger Christian, has learned from better films that directors sometimes tilt their cameras, but he has not learned why.

Some movies run off the rails. This one is like the train crash in "The Fugitive." I watched it in mounting gloom, realizing I was witnessing something historic, a film that for decades to come will be the punch line of jokes about bad movies. There is a moment here when the Psychlos' entire planet (home office and all) is blown to smithereens, without the slightest impact on any member of the audience (or, for that matter, the cast). If the film had been destroyed in a similar cataclysm, there might have been a standing ovation.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I like Roger Ebert reviews despite his inability or unwillingness to examine the unconscious reification of liberal truisms in film as a medium. I like his willingness to acknowledge films that, while being technically competent, are cheap and cultish and distinguish themselves by being more than the sum of their parts and thus constituting at least kind of a break with american film tradition. like his review for Repo Man always stuck with me because he describes sitting in a theater in the mid-80s, a time which I often think of as having produced most of my favorite films, watching one lovely blockbuster by-the-numbers hopeful after another and frames the review by talking about how fresh and creative Repo Man felt in that context

repo man is the best movie ever made, though its in competition with they live

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

idk he seemed to really enjoy hating battlefield earth

Battlefield earth should have been a tyler perry movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Ebert was a good enough writer that it covered for a lot of his shortcomings as a critic. He was almost always a good read even when he missed the mark.

And he was right about video games.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Battlefield Earth is great if you want to laugh at something ridiculously absurd.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntiPIVSiysQ

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

General Dog posted:

Ebert was a good enough writer that it covered for a lot of his shortcomings as a critic. He was almost always a good read even when he missed the mark.

And he was right about video games.

I'm unfortunately not super familiar with his writing, but I will always respect the man who co-wrote Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. Just a beautiful example of well-made trash.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Roger Ebert was a very funny writer

Frog Act posted:

I like Roger Ebert reviews despite his inability or unwillingness to examine the unconscious reification of liberal truisms in film as a medium.

Why don't you do it? I'm a sucker for critical analysis and if we don't already have a thread for it in C-SPAM, we should

Frog Act posted:

repo man is the best movie ever made, though its in competition with they live

They Live is a terrible movie with two great scenes (putting the glasses on, and "put the glasses on")

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
demolition man is criminally underrated, especially with respect to this thread's subject matter

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Dreylad posted:

demolition man is criminally underrated, especially with respect to this thread's subject matter

especially when you consider this man is popular amongst "Left" tastemakers
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1089558164557742080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Troy Queef posted:

especially when you consider this man is popular amongst "Left" tastemakers
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1089558164557742080

give this nerd a swirlie