Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Remove the current screws, drill a pilot hole, and insert longer screws. The drillbit you use for the pilot hole should be at most as big as the shaft of the screws you plan to use (i.e. not including the threads).

This and I'd slather the wood with construction adhesive. Some of that stuff is insanely strong, probably wouldn't even need to put screws in. Loctite PL or Liquid Nails heavy duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

QuarkJets posted:

He's mad at the concept of frontloaded interest payments, it's true that loans generally work that way but they don't have to.

I suppose but does anyone offer a different type? If you averaged the p and i for each payment the banks wouldn’t earn as much for taking the risk, so I’m guessing the rates would be higher to make up for it. If you had equal principle payments and a declining interest it would put a lot more stress on those early years. Of course you could just pay extra each month and create that type on your own.

The current annuity system balances risk and motivation pretty well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

just buy your house with a credit card, geeze

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

just buy your house with a credit card, geeze

Think of all the rewards points!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

Edit: I don’t know wtf is wrong with imgur but here’s the direct link: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/M1RSlJM

Yes, that’s an aquarium heater.

My 105 year old detached garage is built over a walk out basement. The surrounding area floods so hydrostatic pressure will flood it to a foot deep with ease. The problem is it’s completely uninsulated and unheated, so the air temp follows the outdoor temp. Of course the pump freezes when it gets very cold and the water stops flowing. When there is water flowing regularly and the pump has to run every few minutes it’s generally fine. Unfortunately I’ve already lost one 1/3 HP Zoller.

So I put in a 300 watt aquarium heater. I figure even though the water is just around freezing, it’ll keep such a small volume warm enough that the pump doesn’t freeze. I need to rig up a report temp sensor that can send my phone updates on water and air temp. Still working that one out.

I really hate this garage. I’ve spend over $15k trying to make it more usable. I feel like I’m going to have to insulate and keep it heated just to keep it from flooding. I wish I could just fill the entire basement with dirt or something but the garage itself sits on a full foundation so that has to remain stable.

If I had one chance at time travel I’d go back to 1913 and kneecap whoever’s idea this was.

Have you tried heat tape? Some sort of lid over the pit to slow down air movement might help as well.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

devicenull posted:

Have you tried heat tape? Some sort of lid over the pit to slow down air movement might help as well.

Yeah I’m going to put heat tape on the pipe above the pit. I also put the cover back in place.

I think I need to change to an external float switch so the water level stays above the pump. Right now the top 2/3s of the pump is above the waterline when the pump is off.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
drat why are 36 inch wide stoves $4000 more then 30 inch wide stoves. What in the hell. I just want to cook frozen pizzas.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, question for you fellas; I have a ranch with an attached garage (just one rectangular footprint and a simple roof with an attic crawlspace).

The garage is deep, so I've been setting up the back 1/3 to use as a workshop, but the space is completely uninsulated all the way up to the roof since there is no crawlspace in the garage.

This weekend I have been putting in wall insulation, followed by drywall. The questions I have are:

Should I care that I'm not insulating the roof/creating a false ceiling with insulation?

Should I insulate above the stud wall up to the ridgeline of the roof? I could glue rigid insulation cut to the roof's slope but I am fairly sure that section of the wall isn't sheathed with as good of a weather barrier than the stud walls.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Elephanthead posted:

drat why are 36 inch wide stoves $4000 more then 30 inch wide stoves. What in the hell. I just want to cook frozen pizzas.

Electric toaster for frozen pizza boats, just saved you 4k.

Isn't every stove 30 inches except for those crazy chef stoves you see on HGTV or the minis in NYC apartments?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sepist posted:

Electric toaster for frozen pizza boats, just saved you 4k.

Isn't every stove 30 inches except for those crazy chef stoves you see on HGTV or the minis in NYC apartments?

Yes this is part of the problem but I want to remove my island cooktop and put a stove where the built in oven microwave is which is exactly 36 inches wide. Probably going to buy some Chinese knock off of a crazy chef stove.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
or you'll just have to get a 30 inch and cover up the extra space or put in a small cabinet

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Yes this is part of the problem but I want to remove my island cooktop and put a stove where the built in oven microwave is which is exactly 36 inches wide. Probably going to buy some Chinese knock off of a crazy chef stove.

Put in a 6"-wide cabinet with a pullout that holds your spices or something.

Blindeye posted:

So, question for you fellas; I have a ranch with an attached garage (just one rectangular footprint and a simple roof with an attic crawlspace).

The garage is deep, so I've been setting up the back 1/3 to use as a workshop, but the space is completely uninsulated all the way up to the roof since there is no crawlspace in the garage.

This weekend I have been putting in wall insulation, followed by drywall. The questions I have are:

Should I care that I'm not insulating the roof/creating a false ceiling with insulation?

Should I insulate above the stud wall up to the ridgeline of the roof? I could glue rigid insulation cut to the roof's slope but I am fairly sure that section of the wall isn't sheathed with as good of a weather barrier than the stud walls.

I'm not an expert on these things, but my impression is that you want to insulate the ceiling/roof first, because heat rises. Insulating the walls is less important than making sure your heat isn't all going up out the top of the building.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

According to some efficiency contractors I know, ceiling insulation alone is way more effective than wall insulation alone. Definitely do both if you want to insulate a room properly

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

QuarkJets posted:

According to some efficiency contractors I know, ceiling insulation alone is way more effective than wall insulation alone. Definitely do both if you want to insulate a room properly

I agree and know completely, in principal, but there's a few things making me want to hesitate:

I'd have to work in a vaulted ceiling 15+ feet in the air just to reach the garage ceiling.

The garage ceiling is the roofline and it's actually all wood boards, which are a nice surface as opposed to something ugly.

I'll never have this place fully temperature controlled. There's a garage heater that, admittedly, is already overkill now that I have the wall insulation in. Before I would run a 1500 watt heater and feel now difference in winter and now that I'm done with the walls I'm sweating after running it for an hour. In the summer, though, there's no hookups to the central air so it's just going to be ventilated through the door/windows.

I would be on board with doing it if it meant getting a drywall lift and covering up insulation in a relatively low ceiling but doing so gets rid of easy access to my crawlspace/the beams I can store wood and other things on in the garage, and it would be a much more involved undertaking to try to build a low ceiling in my garage.

The question is, with that in mind, is spending that much in the garage worth it? I plan to upgrade my attic insulation from R-20 to R-38 which is required for my region, but doing the same in my garage would be a gargantuan effort.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It really just depends on how much time you want to spend in your garage, like if you need it to be habitable then figuring out a solution to insulate your ceilings would probably be good but if you just want a work space occasionally and can make it comfortable enough with a heater? Eh. That's something only you can answer

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
are service line warranties a scam? I feel my scam alarm going off but im a big dumb idiot that doesnt understand why this isnt something that would be covered under a typical homeowner insurance claim

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

ex post facho posted:

are service line warranties a scam? I feel my scam alarm going off but im a big dumb idiot that doesnt understand why this isnt something that would be covered under a typical homeowner insurance claim

It depends on what you mean by scam. Insurance is always designed to collect more in premiums than they pay out, so it's quite likely that even if you have an issue with one of your lines, they'll do whatever they can to deny your claim or give you the least amount of money possible. Generally, the separate service line warranties are offered by shady companies, so I'd be even less likely to trust them than say, State Farm.

If you're really worried about it, I'd check to see if your regular homeowners insurance provider offers some kind of extra rider policy you can buy, because, as you mentioned, this is typically excluded from general homeowners policies. Otherwise, you just do what 99.999% of other people do and hope for the best. It will probably be $5000+ out of pocket if something goes wrong, but it's probably not worth buying insurance for.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Exception: you have a polybutylene ("big blue") service line. These are ticking time bombs but, in my limited experience, the insurance is not priced differently from that for more robust materials.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
If the service line warranty or insurance is something you are getting in the mail, perhaps even with a logo from your local utility company, then yes it's a borderline scam. Here in Southern California SoCal Gas has made a deal with an insurance company that claims to cover the repairs of your natural gas line that would not normally be covered by homeowners insurance or the utility company. SoCal Gas is even nice enough to let you pay your premium as part of your monthly gas bill. That's because SoCal Gas gets a kickback for allowing this company to advertise directly to their customers. I won't go into why it's particularly dumb to buy insurance for a natural gas line, but I will mention that the same company does the same thing for water lines or you name it depending on what municipality or state they are trying to sell insurance in, and which utility company is getting the kickback.

That company in particular basically won't cover any actual damage and is basically just bilking you out of money. However service line insurance is an additional insurance that many homeowners insurance companies will allow you to add to your plan. Mercury Insurance for example already has this insurance included in my homeowner's insurance, and will cover up to $10,000 worth of damage to any service line including sewage, which is actually the one I'm worried about. The premium I'm paying for that service line insurance is far lower overall than what I would be paying for the company selling through SoCal Gas. In all things the best answer is to just read the internet for a while and compare prices.

EDIT: Also, yay, I finally finished reading this thread from start to finish, now to start contributing my housing woes.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

However service line insurance is an additional insurance that many homeowners insurance companies will allow you to add to your plan. Mercury Insurance for example already has this insurance included in my homeowner's insurance, and will cover up to $10,000 worth of damage to any service line including sewage, which is actually the one I'm worried about. The premium I'm paying for that service line insurance is far lower overall than what I would be paying for the company selling through SoCal Gas. In all things the best answer is to just read the internet for a while and compare prices.

What is the specific name of the coverage you're referring to?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Dango Bango posted:

What is the specific name of the coverage you're referring to?

This is the insurance from Mercury I mentioned.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the link. Just wanted to make sure you weren't thinking sewer backup - which is a very common additional coverage - covered the service line.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Can anyone in here maybe answer some questions about water heaters

We have an ao smith promax electric water heater, size is I should've gotten the model number when I was home for lunch. It's at least between a 30-55 gallon as it's approx 5' tall.

For the most part the hot water coming out of it is hot, as expected. However, it doesn't last very long at that temperature, in fact it's not long enough for my wife to fill up our bathtub for a bath. There are 2 thermostats on my heater.

I adjusted the top one a while back and that made the water hotter than it used to be

But until today I didn't realize there was a bottom one

Would adjusting the bottom one make the water stay hotter longer? Or what would be some other issues for water not staying hot for very long.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mattfl posted:

We have an ao smith promax electric water heater, size is I should've gotten the model number when I was home for lunch. It's at least between a 30-55 gallon as it's approx 5' tall.

For the most part the hot water coming out of it is hot, as expected. However, it doesn't last very long at that temperature, in fact it's not long enough for my wife to fill up our bathtub for a bath. There are 2 thermostats on my heater.

Electric heater? One of your elements might be out. This would mean the tank can heat up when no cold water is being added, but cannot maintain temperature once there is significant flow such as a bathtub spigot.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Electric heater? One of your elements might be out. This would mean the tank can heat up when no cold water is being added, but cannot maintain temperature once there is significant flow such as a bathtub spigot.

My brother suggested it might be one of the elements, said they're cheap and easy to replace so I might give that a shot.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

On that note, would flushing my (gas) hot water heater actually do anything for the popping noises? It’s pretty old, and I have no idea when it was flushed last.

All the online things make it sound pretty easy

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
We're having some asbestos pipe-wrap insulation removed from our basement. It's currently covering all of our hot-water radiator pipes. Would something like this (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-1-in-Fiberglass-Plumbing-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation/3131255) work as a good replacement once its all out? Or is there some better alternative?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

mattfl posted:

I adjusted the top one a while back and that made the water hotter than it used to be

But until today I didn't realize there was a bottom one

Would adjusting the bottom one make the water stay hotter longer? Or what would be some other issues for water not staying hot for very long.

when my hot water heater would run out super fast it ended up being two things:

1. the bottom heating element was burnt out
2. the water heater had like two feet of gross slurry in the bottom of it (it was like sediment/minerals and who knows what else). this is likely what burnt out the heating element

i ended up draining the entire thing but the sediment didn't come out so i had to buy a smallish tube that would fit through the heating element hole that i then duct taped onto the end of my shop vac hose so I could get it in there to suck it all out.

it all took a couple hours but worked great afterwards

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

when my hot water heater would run out super fast it ended up being two things:

1. the bottom heating element was burnt out
2. the water heater had like two feet of gross slurry in the bottom of it (it was like sediment/minerals and who knows what else). this is likely what burnt out the heating element

i ended up draining the entire thing but the sediment didn't come out so i had to buy a smallish tube that would fit through the heating element hole that i then duct taped onto the end of my shop vac hose so I could get it in there to suck it all out.

it all took a couple hours but worked great afterwards

I'll give the draining it a go and see if a buncha gross stuff comes out and if so I'll replace the element as well.

Thanks all!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Elephanthead posted:

I think a 36" Viking is only 5500 compared to a 4000 30" so get one of those :D

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

We're having some asbestos pipe-wrap insulation removed from our basement. It's currently covering all of our hot-water radiator pipes. Would something like this (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-1-in-Fiberglass-Plumbing-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation/3131255) work as a good replacement once its all out? Or is there some better alternative?

Why not foam? It's super easy to install and doesn't fill your lungs with glass.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
If you have a multimeter (every homeowner should) you can test the heater elements yourself, 15-ish ohms is what mine are normally. I actually just replaced the lower thermostat which was stuck "on" and tripping the overheat reset. If you need to replace the element It is DIYable but make sure you have a good wrench that fits well, sometimes they are really stuck in there and of course drain the tank first or you'll have a big mess.

You can get a whole rebuild kit, both thermostats and both elements for about $30. When you turn off the power check both across the terminals and to ground, older/bad installs sometimes pull each half of the 240 from separate fuses.

It's always a good idea to drain sediment every few years.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

H110Hawk posted:

Why not foam? It's super easy to install and doesn't fill your lungs with glass.

I saw foam in my search results looking for pipe wrap insulation, I just assumed it wasn’t intended for use with pipes that would get hot. I think the furnace has a peak temp of 145F or something like that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

totalnewbie posted:

I think a 36" Viking is only 5500 compared to a 4000 30" so get one of those :D

I think those are ebay prices. Also every Viking stove on craigslist is apparently a scam. Seems odd.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I saw foam in my search results looking for pipe wrap insulation, I just assumed it wasn’t intended for use with pipes that would get hot. I think the furnace has a peak temp of 145F or something like that.

It's literally for that.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Our fairly trustworthy nerd local plumber (he'd rather play WoW than make a house call) claimed the heating elements usually don't give out before the whole heater is dead, not true?

We have old style bus fuses near the h.w. heater in addition to a breaker on the panel. One of those fuses finally died after 20 years here but the elements were ok. On well water here though, got a sediment filter installed to avoid sediment buildup but only recently.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sadus posted:

Our fairly trustworthy nerd local plumber (he'd rather play WoW than make a house call) claimed the heating elements usually don't give out before the whole heater is dead, not true?

Not in my experience or many others in this thread.

sadus posted:

On well water here though, got a sediment filter installed to avoid sediment buildup but only recently.

....and when is the last time you flushed the heater tank? Because as I believe was already mentioned you probably have 1/3 of a tank of sediment which is both reducing your volumetric capacity and already overwhelmed and ruined the lower element.

Depending on your water chemistry and if the rod has ever been changed it very well could be time for a new heater entirely, but a burnt out element or even sediment to this extent isn't enough information to make that call.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
How often SHOULD I flush the heater tank?

Annually?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've read annually, that's my plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

How often SHOULD I flush the heater tank?

Annually?

Yep. More if annually it's burbling sludge for 10 minutes (and at that point you should be looking at additional filtration for sediment - like a smaller micron filter past the one you just had installed).