Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Volmarias posted:

You mean Google Duo?

idk what that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Shaggar posted:

idk what that is

It's like hangouts, but for 2 people.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Basically google splintered hangouts in to 5 different apps because their promotion and incentive structure prioritized new product releases over fixes/updates.

So now we have
- allo
- duo
- hangouts
- meet
- hangouts business (going away in oct, replaced by meet)

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Basically google splintered hangouts in to 5 different apps because their promotion and incentive structure prioritized new product releases over fixes/updates.

So now we have
- allo
- duo
- hangouts
- meet

Stellar marketing. I have only heard of one of those apps.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So now we have
- allo
- duo
- hangouts
- meet

You missed one, there's also "Chat", the business text-only companion app to Meet which is probably a lot like Slack. Although I think Allo is also deprecated with future migration to "Messages".

Honestly, though, Duo's probably best of breed. The rest are total wankery now.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

James Baud posted:

You missed one, there's also "Chat", the business text-only companion app to Meet which is probably a lot like Slack. Although I think Allo is also deprecated with future migration to "Messages".

Honestly, though, Duo's probably best of breed. The rest are total wankery now.

Google has never once built a chat client that makes people feel like they want to talk to each other. This tells you a whole hell of a lot about google.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

there was a small window of time when some people i knew used gchat, but it was very small and well before it turned into hangouts. i imagine if google just improved gchat, it could have grown at least a little.

didnt some yosposter claim to have thought up the "hangouts" name?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
google should never have got rid of xmpp federation in gchat, this was a worse crime than killing off google reader imo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

name a federated communication protocol that isn’t spammed up garbage

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rufus Ping posted:

google should never have got rid of xmpp federation in gchat, this was a worse crime than killing off google reader imo

:agreed: with both counts

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

I almost said postal mail but no that's still full of spam

Then I almost said talking to people IRL but they barf out memes and garbage so yeah I dunno

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

s4b and teams aren't spammed up.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

poo poo for brains?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
shaggar for business

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
braille?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NFX posted:

shaggar for business

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Shaggar posted:

oh. I know what it is. gently caress face idiot jonny ives decided he wanted you to see the live video of who was calling you so to make that work it creates the session setup required for the call even if you don't accept.

e: whatever code handles the event for adding a new party to the call is probably below the phone ui so theres no checking to see if the user accepted the call. it assumes that because theres an active call the user picked it up even though the UI automatically picked up in order to display the incoming video.

That seems plausible that it is miscommunication of state between various api calls. Another idea is that the call is already answered but obscured from the ui in order to reduce delay.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if the call is being answered at the protocol level to get the inbound video stream and then handed to the UI for display thats even worse.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah you can get the video feed as well if the end user hits the power button

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the inbound to the recipient of the call I mean. that inbound stream is always connected and its by design because they want to show the caller on the recipient's phone.

this means its building a session in the recipient device and whether that session is being accepted without user input by design. The question is if its the phone app/ui accepting the call or if its something at the system level accepting the call and then handing it off to the phone app/ui. Both scenarios here are the device accepting calls without user interaction, but the former makes this somewhat understandable as a bug since its a disconnect between bad UI design (accepting a call without user input) and the system. The later would mean system components are designed to accept inbound calls without user input which is far worse.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rufus Ping posted:

agreed.

it goes against their current dogshit garbage of making their own protocols, though. im not amped for AMP!

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Shaggar posted:

the inbound to the recipient of the call I mean. that inbound stream is always connected and its by design because they want to show the caller on the recipient's phone.

this means its building a session in the recipient device and whether that session is being accepted without user input by design. The question is if its the phone app/ui accepting the call or if its something at the system level accepting the call and then handing it off to the phone app/ui. Both scenarios here are the device accepting calls without user interaction, but the former makes this somewhat understandable as a bug since its a disconnect between bad UI design (accepting a call without user input) and the system. The later would mean system components are designed to accept inbound calls without user input which is far worse.

Yeah, I hope it is misrepresentation of session authorization state rather than implicit authorization that leaks through an untested user story. I wonder if it was exploited through OS X calls too.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it would be a pretty "lol apple" move if it turns out to be a deep design flaw due to insistence on zero UI lag for the user

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres the zero lag thing which im sure is a part of it, but theres also the caller-preview thing which is probably the major driver here. Personally I hate it.

its not a good user experience cause it instantly makes me think that since I can see them, they can see me (which they can thanks to this bug) plus I don't think theres any notification to the caller that their video is being sent before the recipient picks up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CmdrRiker posted:

Yeah, I hope it is misrepresentation of session authorization state rather than implicit authorization that leaks through an untested user story. I wonder if it was exploited through OS X calls too.

i think i saw something that the exploit works on macOS too lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
heck of a thread
https://twitter.com/glytchtech/status/1089626118397849600

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Getting time lapse footage of traffic and clouds is going to be my next excuse if I am caught behaving suspiciously with my phone.

Every time you post it makes me want to watch Real Genius. A girl's gotta have her standards. ;)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

NFX posted:

shaggar for business

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

My company uses Blue Jeans. It's mediocre and feels too resource intensive, but I always chuckle to myself when I say I'm about to jump on a bj call.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my favorite bit was that the thieves parked their tow truck too far away, so the car re-immobilized itself before they could drive it all the way to the truck and get it strapped on :lol:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the only successful community product google ever built was barely associated with them, primarily used in Brazil, and killed off because it wasn’t interesting for the developers anymore or w/e

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

also everything about it felt out of date already at launch

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Iirc Orkut was made by a Google employee as a personal project and took off, and people really liked it so it got integrated with g+ and was killed

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

whenever a google product gets decent it feels like someone goes "but what about the unix philosophy, heh" and they cut the app into pieces

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

cut the app into pieces, this is my last resort

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
who was the goog guy who was all "lol you can never have too many chat clients! :yayclod:"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
cut g chat in to pieces
this is my last hang out

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

s4b and teams aren't spammed up.

skype for business is terrible though

secfuck content: they switched us to sfb for our corporate im and everyone hated it so much that now there’s effectively no standard and people just use whatever app they like. but special credit goes to the team that decided using a public app for work stuff would be too insecure, so they set up their own lovely internal webapp chat server thing ... over http

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just remember that apparently, at Google you get promoted for "inventing and launching something new", and you get no reward for bugfixing and improving the user experience.

So every employee is launching their own little pet projects and that's how you get 3000 different Google chat apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

product idea: key holder (shelf, hooks, or mat) which operates on the same principle as these secure badge holders:

run an as-seen-on-tv style campaign and make bank.