Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

20-100 hour single player games are stupid and meant for children and the unemployed

[...]

Now picture the same 9-5er coming home ever night and trying to squeeze through a 60 hour kingdom hearts game.

There's nothing wrong with long-rear end games; the current climate of "it's perfectly normal to buy more than three computer games a year" is weird, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah man like, I wanna play videogames, but single player is such a COMMITMENT. That's why I put 100 hours into Fortnite instead of 100 hours into the games I would play otherwise, because that's the respectful position

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's nothing wrong with long-rear end games; the current climate of "it's perfectly normal to buy more than three computer games a year" is weird, however.

For you certainly, for me long games are loving stupid and I'm sick of them. Short or infinite games only please.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the 3d in the 3ds was rad af and the 3d in the new 3ds is even better, and i genuinely wish more games utilized them

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There is a direct, inverse correlation between the number of games one finishes and that persons success in life.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

Yeah man like, I wanna play videogames, but single player is such a COMMITMENT. That's why I put 100 hours into Fortnite instead of 100 hours into the games I would play otherwise, because that's the respectful position

I deliberately didn't mention fortnite, ignoring that to parrot an overplayed meme just isn't funny to me. Sorry mate

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CrRoMa posted:

I deliberately didn't mention fortnite, ignoring that to parrot an overplayed meme just isn't funny to me. Sorry mate

CrRoMa posted:

For you certainly, for me long games are loving stupid and I'm sick of them. Short or infinite games only please.

Just replace Fortnite with WoW/Hearthstone/Arena/LoL/Starcraft/fighting games/FPSes/MMOs, gotcha

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

actually I'm pretty sure the 360 game pad would not have gotten made if the 360 didn't exost which was my whole point there so maybe try comprehending what you are reading instead of just looking for words you recognize

the point is that the PC has had better controller support than any console since the 360 gamepad made gamepad support ubiquitous in pc games. your argument hasnt been valid since 2005. it's equivalent to dunking on PCs for all the bluescreens, or because you have to build a new PC every 2 years. it just shows that you have no idea what your'e talking about

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
PC Gamers getting defensive in this thread.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

poverty goat posted:

the point is that the PC has had better controller support than any console since the 360 gamepad made gamepad support ubiquitous in pc games. your argument hasnt been valid since 2005. it's equivalent to dunking on PCs for all the bluescreens, or because you have to build a new PC every 2 years. it just shows that you have no idea what your'e talking about

my dude pc controller support does not mean poo poo if people are not making decent controllers which was my point from the loving start, PC gaming has rotted your feeble mind

good god are you actually this loving dumb

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

You don't even need a separate adapter for PS4 controller support, most PCs have Bluetooth built in already now. On the off-chance yours doesn't you can use literally any $3 BT USB adapter. It's pretty great.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

my dude pc controller support does not mean poo poo if people are not making decent controllers which was my point from the loving start, PC gaming has rotted your feeble mind

this thing actually kicks rear end and has been around forever hth (the pad sucks though)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why would you want to use a PS4 controller with anything other than a PS4?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's a point from 2005 that was stolen by the PC and is now a point in favor of the PC. get it through your loving skull! idiot!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Why would you want to use a PS4 controller with anything other than a PS4?

I like it and I didn't want to buy a new controller along with a wireless adapter?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

poverty goat posted:

it's a point from 2005 that was stolen by the PC and is now a point in favor of the PC. get it through your loving skull! idiot!

"controller support" is different than "building controller hardware", this is not a difficult concept. the controllers, the hardware, are all from console manufacturers. you are arguing against a point that neither i, nor anyone else in this thread, has made. all the PC controller drivers in the world do not matter if you are plugging a goddamn MadKatz in

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this thing actually kicks rear end and has been around forever hth (the pad sucks though)

<huge image>

eh i had one and the sticks died really fast :shrug:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the ds4 is better than the 360/xbone controller but since it's PC you can use whichever one you want, and can always rebind buttons if you want

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But PC gaming is only about being cheap when it comes to buying games. Everything else you splurge. Pricey cares, keyboards, monitors, mice. Why not buy a proper controller. It's the one thing that MS has been doing right consistently.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

you can't make a "handheld only" version cheaper. The only difference would be the HDMI port, a component that likely costs Nintendo less than a cent purchased in bulk.

They could make a cheaper version thats a console only (no portable), screens and batteries are actual expensive components.

You absolutely can, by getting rid of all the breakout poo poo (like removable joycons) and making it a lower-powered device, allowing the use of a smaller battery and getting rid of cooling.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

poverty goat posted:

the ds4 is better than the 360/xbone controller but since it's PC you can use whichever one you want

This is unpopular opinions, not moronic ones.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

This is unpopular opinions, not moronic ones.

sorry about your weird hands

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The Bonepad is great if you love stick drift.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"controller support" is different than "building controller hardware", this is not a difficult concept. the controllers, the hardware, are all from console manufacturers. you are arguing against a point that neither i, nor anyone else in this thread, has made. all the PC controller drivers in the world do not matter if you are plugging a goddamn MadKatz in

eh i had one and the sticks died really fast :shrug:

Mine is a tank. I do have one of those 8BitDo SNES controllers and the spring in one of the shoulder buttons broke after a week. Also it doesn't actually have an off button or a deep-sleep mode.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Dual Shock is like a shark, it was perfect a million years ago and so it's never really needed to change

I like when games have built in support for switching to PS button icons instead of Xbox ones

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Lambert posted:

The Bonepad is great if you love stick drift.

All sticks drift. I haven't had my Switch a year and I've already replaced the left stick once.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Mine is a tank. I do have one of those 8BitDo SNES controllers and the spring in one of the shoulder buttons broke after a week. Also it doesn't actually have an off button or a deep-sleep mode.

honestly mine was a logitech DS knockoff like that but it was a different color and didn't have vibration motors, so that must be a different model? was definitely good while it lasted though

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

This is why we have backlogs. The longer your backlog, the longer your life.

my backlog stretches back to the NES era. I'll get around to playing FF3 one day! i just need to find the time. im pretty sure the backlog will never decrease, it will be at its longest on the day I die

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

honestly mine was a logitech DS knockoff like that but it was a different color and didn't have vibration motors, so that must be a different model? was definitely good while it lasted though

this guy?

Logitech also made the best 3rd-party controller I've ever used for any system for the original Xbox:

That thing was solid as gently caress

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this guy?

Logitech also made the best 3rd-party controller I've ever used for any system for the original Xbox:

That thing was solid as gently caress

i'm pretty sure it actually had uncolored face buttons too but maybe i'm misremembering?

even after the sticks died i used it for emulators and stuff, the d-pad was passable

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Dual Shock is like a shark, it was perfect a million years ago and so it's never really needed to change

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:hmmyes:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You don't even need a separate adapter for PS4 controller support, most PCs have Bluetooth built in already now. On the off-chance yours doesn't you can use literally any $3 BT USB adapter. It's pretty great.

I like this controller, the Gamesir 3G. it's Bluetooth so it can connect to PC and andriod (it comes a little adapter to attach your phone to it) and it also works with PlayStation.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireless-Controller-Smartphone-playstation-3/dp/B019H5II8Y/

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 29, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I like this controller, the Gamesir is 3G. it's Bluetooth so it can connect to PC and andriod (it comes a little adapter to attach your phone to it) and it also works with PlayStation.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireless-Controller-Smartphone-playstation-3/dp/B019H5II8Y/

steam link is free android software now so if you get a bluetooth gamepad like this and mount a phone/tablet on it you can use it to play pc games on the toilet

it works really well over ac wifi even in latency-sensitive games

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I like this controller, the Gamesir is 3G. it's Bluetooth so it can connect to PC and andriod (it comes a little adapter to attach your phone to it) and it also works with PlayStation.

any Android game with controller support will natively connect to a PS4 controller :tipshat:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you use a DS4 on PC most PC games don't have PS4 buttons so it'll still show a/b/x/y directions everywhere. You also need to run a program to use it, because PCs don't/can't connect to it natively or whatever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
All controllers are poo poo, with the singular exception of the Atari Jaguar

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

christmas boots posted:

All controllers are poo poo, with the singular exception of the Atari Jaguar

the jaguar wasn't a controller, dumbass

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jokes posted:

If you use a DS4 on PC most PC games don't have PS4 buttons so it'll still show a/b/x/y directions everywhere. You also need to run a program to use it, because PCs don't/can't connect to it natively or whatever.

not as true as it used to be but it's really not very confusing because the dualshock doesn't use letters

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 29, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

jokes posted:

There will never be a better multiplayer video game than Chromehounds.

Oh man I'm choked I missed this game, played a pissload of MW3 online back in the day would've loved this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The best thing about the Switch is that they split the gamepad in half and you can just rest your arms at your sides when it's docked and you're on the couch.

Microsoft, make a split bonetroller