Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

AceOfFlames posted:

So for those working on becoming self-sufficient food wise or just switching to a vegetarian diet, what exactly do you eat in a day to day basis? What would be the most sustainable meal plan? Looking at vegan recipes online just seems to produce tons of stuff requiring a food processor or ingredients I never heard of. Don't think that would be feasible in case of a collapse.

I'm switching to vegetarian just by mostly avoiding meat but not being completely militant about it. I've been doing lots of greens, cheese, nuts, yogurt. For work stuff i'm hella lazy so alot of amy's and trader joes meals. Obviously prepackaged stuff is a bad thing due to garbage produced and i'd like to work away from that but baby steps. I told a friend I was pushing towards vegetarian purely because of climate change and it was cool to watch her work through it and agree that it is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

silicone thrills posted:

I'm switching to vegetarian just by mostly avoiding meat but not being completely militant about it. I've been doing lots of greens, cheese, nuts, yogurt. For work stuff i'm hella lazy so alot of amy's and trader joes meals. Obviously prepackaged stuff is a bad thing due to garbage produced and i'd like to work away from that but baby steps. I told a friend I was pushing towards vegetarian purely because of climate change and it was cool to watch her work through it and agree that it is a good idea.

Also veggies, rice, beans, and fruit have you pretty much set. If you're not going all the way vegan you can get plenty of protein from dairy. Honestly it's probably more difficult for people in the US because we're so conditioned that it's not a meal if there's NO MEAT but there's still like a billion things you can eat that's not meat. I recently started going to local markets for all our produce and only buying staples/dry goods from "grocery stores." It's at least something and it's also not something that's terribly difficult or even more costly, seeing as it's actually cheaper to buy local in-season produce than pretty much anything at loving Safeway.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

silicone thrills posted:

Good start. Dairy has its own issues (Casein etc. is a tumor promoter) so consider alternatives.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Also veggies, rice, beans, and fruit have you pretty much set. If you're not going all the way vegan you can get plenty of protein from dairy. Honestly it's probably more difficult for people in the US because we're so conditioned that it's not a meal if there's NO MEAT but there's still like a billion things you can eat that's not meat. I recently started going to local markets for all our produce and only buying staples/dry goods from "grocery stores." It's at least something and it's also not something that's terribly difficult or even more costly, seeing as it's actually cheaper to buy local in-season produce than pretty much anything at loving Safeway.

The conditioning around meat is truly strange. I still catch myself wondering at times if something's going to go wrong if I don't eat any animals for a few days. Thanks, industry.

(Do think about B vitamin supplements if you go vegetarian or vegan. I've had to start since I changed my diet to veg-first.)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

VideoGameVet posted:

Good start. Dairy has its own issues (Casein etc. is a tumor promoter) so consider alternatives.

That's a tough one. Cheese is really filling and satisfying and its hard to find something else with that density. Eggs really bother my stomach. Cheese is also incredibly convenient. Is all cheese casein heavy or is it just a cow thing? I love goat cheese and buy it whenever i have the choice.

Also broccoli is the bomb but broccoli farts all night are not. But hilarious for chasing your spouse outa bed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

silicone thrills posted:

That's a tough one. Cheese is really filling and satisfying and its hard to find something else with that density. Eggs really bother my stomach. Cheese is also incredibly convenient. Is all cheese casein heavy or is it just a cow thing? I love goat cheese and buy it whenever i have the choice.

Also broccoli is the bomb but broccoli farts all night are not. But hilarious for chasing your spouse outa bed.

We eat broccoli like 3 nights a week and have not experienced this. Are you sure it's not the goat cheese, which already smells and tastes like farts prior to eating it?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

silicone thrills posted:

Cheese is the food I miss more than any other.

The cashew-based cheeses are approaching the quality of decent European sourced cheeses but wow, they are expensive.

Daiya's meltable vegan cheese is decent and makes pizza work, but lately I've just been skipping that to reduce calories.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Decades of this have adapted my system to eating beans and stuff like broccoli without excess gas. On the other hand, oily food will trigger reflux almost every time.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DrNutt posted:

We eat broccoli like 3 nights a week and have not experienced this. Are you sure it's not the goat cheese, which already smells and tastes like farts prior to eating it?

You take that back about goat cheese.

Also if anyone hasn't heard of it - Futureman on hulu's 2nd season is entirely based in a future 200 years from now where like only 2 crops will grow and all animals are dead and there's a group of people who are still crazy and refuse to accept global warming.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

silicone thrills posted:

You take that back about goat cheese.

Also if anyone hasn't heard of it - Futureman on hulu's 2nd season is entirely based in a future 200 years from now where like only 2 crops will grow and all animals are dead and there's a group of people who are still crazy and refuse to accept global warming.

Sounds actually quite realistic. Given how the denial argument is going on by now, there is no way that they ever accept the truth, no matter how terrible it gets.

Bless us. Our future is dusty.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

VideoGameVet posted:

Cheese is the food I miss more than any other.

The cashew-based cheeses are approaching the quality of decent European sourced cheeses but wow, they are expensive.

i got to try some cheese a while back from Punk Rawk Labs, who make a cashew cheese through a fermentation process. i just checked now and it looks like a "four servings" pack of it is :10bux: or so? yowza, that makes me even more glad a friend of mine gave me some for free. it's an incredible product though, the first time i tried it i knew right away that if you gave it to someone but didn't tell them what it was, they would never know that it's not a "real" animal-milk-derived cheese

they are re-branding their company name to some japanese-looking word though. i'm not super happy about that but if it helps them get a big investor to scale up, that would rule

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Insanite posted:

I started my plant-heavy (still do some chicken and fish) journey with Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian cookbook, which was fun.

Joining a CSA really helped my family on this. Where one wouldn't buy or wouldn't use if bought at a store, having the big box CSA forces one to think in terms of using it all up. And they'll help with recipes. And the dont try to replace look to Indian, Ethiopian is also a great tip that we had a lot of luck with.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Another nice thing about CSAs is you can usually restrict them to local-only. It's definitely interesting forcing yourself to live on local produce in a climate with a shorter growing season (although you really have to get used to eating a lot of root vegetables, cabbage, and apples in the winter)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

enki42 posted:

Another nice thing about CSAs is you can usually restrict them to local-only. It's definitely interesting forcing yourself to live on local produce in a climate with a shorter growing season (although you really have to get used to eating a lot of root vegetables, cabbage, and apples in the winter)

May as well get used to our future. Plus transportation of out season goods is a poo poo ton of carbon footprint.

I used a CSA called full circle around here for a while until I found out they were sourcing poo poo from pretty far away. Totally confused me. I guess they don't do that anymore but I haven't gotten back on the train yet.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They trade to make up for failures and to give a more balanced box. Usually this occurs within a region. It can also help smaller CSA's survive. Farming is really hard!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Insanite posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/15/insect-collapse-we-are-destroying-our-life-support-systems

Nothing to see here. Just the imminent end to life on Earth as we know it.

:sigh:

Yeah. I don't think that farming has ever been more 'productive,' but it's by no means easy or safe.

Given the comments, while I expected bad, I didn't expect to see:
Scientist Brad Lister returned to Puerto Rican rainforest after 35 years to find 98% of ground insects had vanished

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Yeah the doom saying discussions we had here weren't unjustified really. It's by far the scariest report I read so far about this matter.

10% would already be quite terrible, as it would've made it clear how far climate change goes already, despite popular belief that it's "some future stuff", but this exceeds any expectations and makes it hard for hope to survive.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Climate Change: returned after 35 years to find 98% of rainforest insects had vanished

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Goons Are Great posted:

Yeah the doom saying discussions we had here weren't unjustified really. It's by far the scariest report I read so far about this matter.

10% would already be quite terrible, as it would've made it clear how far climate change goes already, despite popular belief that it's "some future stuff", but this exceeds any expectations and makes it hard for hope to survive.

Good news from the other climate thread!

Dead Beef posted:

We need to rethink everything we know about global warming

quote:

New research shows that the degree to which aerosols cool the earth has been grossly underestimated, necessitating a recalculation of climate change models to more accurately predict the pace of global warming.

However, if this is true then how come the earth is getting warmer, not cooler? For all of the global attention on climate warming, aerosol pollution rates from vehicles, agriculture and power plants is still very high. For Rosenfeld, this discrepancy might point to an ever deeper and more troubling reality. "If the aerosols indeed cause a greater cooling effect than previously estimated, then the warming effect of the greenhouse gases has also been larger than we thought, enabling greenhouse gas emissions to overcome the cooling effect of aerosols and points to a greater amount of global warming than we previously thought," he shared.

narrator: "but they didn't rethink anything"

edit:

:getin:

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Climate Change: after 35 years ... 98% of rainforest insects had vanished

Please make this the new thread title. If I had any say in the state of affairs on this planet, I would have had the President of the United States make a national address about this finding.

At the very least, it should be front and centre on this subforum.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Be careful--you might bum some folks out by describing the state of the world.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

This title is already nice-d down. Imagine that we could also hand out like those 80% of ground insects gone in temperate regions, similar figures to flying insects.
Or generally the entire collapse of continental-sized ecosystems.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Getting people to care about climate change apparently requires having them enter a quantum superposition where they are simultaneously motivated to care but also are never, ever made to feel sad.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Goons Are Great posted:

Oh it was an article that got posted like 14 pages back and it lit up some very intensive discussion, as even some originally optimistic people saw some very unforgiving truth.

Here it is:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/15/insect-collapse-we-are-destroying-our-life-support-systems

There also were additional links to more articles from specific science magazines regarding this matter, as this is one of the darkest discoveries about the very now and very live climate change so far.

The 2% of insects that survive are going to repopulate the island shortly.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

They are surely going to be new and improved, heat resistant and massive in numbers.
Can't wait!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goons Are Great posted:

Haha woah be careful now you might get banned for this post! Doomsayer

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

qkkl posted:

The 2% of insects that survive are going to repopulate the island shortly.

Noah managed to repopulate them all with only 2 of each specifies! We can easily lose 99+% and be far above that number.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

What's neat about being in a deeply blue, coastal metro where a minority of people are car commuters is that you still have politicians flaking at the idea of congestion pricing to decrease carbon emissions.

The majority of downtown Boston will flood whenever there's 5 feet of storm surge by 2050. :thumbsup:

e: If anyone's curious about a pretty comprehensive set of recommendations for how a majorish American city would drastically reduce carbon emissions: https://www.greenribboncommission.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Carbon-Free-Boston-Report-web.pdf

Insanite fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 30, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Insanite posted:

What's neat about being in a deeply blue, coastal metro where a minority of people are car commuters is that you still have politicians flaking at the idea of congestion pricing to decrease carbon emissions.

The majority of downtown Boston will flood whenever there's 5 feet of storm surge by 2050. :thumbsup:

e: If anyone's curious about a pretty comprehensive set of recommendations for how a majorish American city would drastically reduce carbon emissions: https://www.greenribboncommission.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Carbon-Free-Boston-Report-web.pdf

tbf a congestion charge is a pretty bad way to decarbonize transportation.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Good news, it's the least impactful part of a plan to reduce car ownership in the city by 45% while shifting people onto mass transit and freeing up land for better things than parking and driving.

And it's not going to happen anytime soon, as asking the least bit of change or sacrifice is too much.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Insanite posted:

Good news, it's the least impactful part of a plan to reduce car ownership in the city by 45% while shifting people onto mass transit and freeing up land for better things than parking and driving.

And it's not going to happen anytime soon, as asking the least bit of change or sacrifice is too much.

Sure, but like this is the exact same conversation as over fuel taxes. A $5 fee won't stop the rich from driving (they can pay it), won't stop the poor from driving (they can't afford the alternatives), but it will make the poor poorer. Likewise, by creating a use-fee like that for climate funding you create incentive structures to keep people driving POVs lest we lose out on our revenue stream as climate change continues cost more.

Its more an issue that cities alone are far too small of actors to meaningfully decarbonize an economy. I'm sure Boston doesn't have the regulatory authority to raise more effective tax schemes.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

A $5 fee won't stop the rich from driving (they can pay it), won't stop the poor from driving (they can't afford the alternatives), but it will make the poor poorer.

Who do you think's on the bus that's trapped behind dozens of single-occupant cars on congested city streets?

Dramatically shifting favor to mass transit over driving is an anti-poverty measure. It improves the lives of transit riders, many of whom can't afford cars at all, and frees people from the financial burden of car ownership. And one of the goals of the measure is to move people out of cars and onto trains, buses, bikes, or sidewalks, too, full stop. If you have to change your behavior, that's a desired outcome.

Making driving more expensive to improve and expand mass transit (while lowering fares, as the report recommends), cycling, and pedestrian infrastructure is ultimately good for poor and working-class households, and it's good for the climate.

The thought that we can't penalize carbon emitters financially because it creates a revenue stream that we'll grow to depend on is an argument against any sort of fee or taxation scheme for anything. I find it confusing.

Boston has limited authority to raise money for carbon emissions reduction projects. For certain things, the state legislature would need to give it a thumbs up. That's not happening if the people in charge of Boston-area cities aren't lobbying for poo poo, though.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 30, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Insanite posted:

Who do you think's on the bus that's trapped behind dozens of single-occupant cars on congested city streets?

Dramatically shifting favor to mass transit over driving is an anti-poverty measure. It improves the lives of transit riders, many of whom can't afford cars at all, and frees people from the financial burden of car ownership. And one of the goals of the measure is to move people out of cars and onto trains, buses, bikes, or sidewalks, too, full stop. If you have to change your behavior, that's a desired outcome.

Making driving more expensive to improve and expand mass transit (while lowering fares, as the report recommends), cycling, and pedestrian infrastructure is ultimately good for poor and working-class households, and it's good for the climate.

Its the kind of punitive-first environmentalism that constantly fails.

The way to shift favor to mass transit is by funding and building mass transit not making driving more financially burdensome to the poor. These sorts of schemes only work in the most perfectly spherical of worlds where someone with a daily driving commute can just not drive to save $5 a day. Its similar to the attitude that part of the solution for poor people is they should "just move closer to their jobs."

quote:

The thought that we can't penalize carbon emitters financially because it creates a revenue stream that we'll grow to depend on is an argument against any sort of fee or taxation scheme for anything. I find it confusing.

No, because usually an income tax isn't trying to destroy all income, or a sales tax isn't trying to end all sales. Meanwhile a carbon tax is attempting to end all carbon. I'm not opposed to carbon taxes theoretically, I'm opposed to funding climate change resilience or other reoccurring obligations like public transit through carbon taxes. (And I'm opposed to carbon taxes as the only means of regulation, but neither of us are arguing that.)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Someone is always going to get screwed over in the process between improving mass transit and limiting private vehicles.

What actually needs to happen is make peace with the fact that people will get screwed over and stop pussyfooting it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Someone is always going to get screwed over in the process between improving mass transit and limiting private vehicles.

What actually needs to happen is make peace with the fact that people will get screwed over and stop pussyfooting it.

Well, or implement policies that help ensure the correct people get screwed (the rich and corporations).

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah. If cars and car infrastructure are sabotaging your attempts to reduce carbon emissions and move people around equitably, I'm not sure how you get around that. Fees are one approach. Banning cars entirely is another. Allowing cars in on a rotating basis based on, IDK, license plate numbers is another. We need fewer cars and less parking, and we need them now. A half million people people ride MBTA buses or grade-level rail every day, and it'd be great if we could double that by 2050. We cannot achieve more efficient transport without keeping cars out of the city.

I'm not especially keen on supporting people living anywhere and getting around in a car as they're accustomed to no matter what. Does this make me a bad person?

Trabisnikof posted:

Its the kind of punitive-first environmentalism that constantly fails.

The way to shift favor to mass transit is by funding and building mass transit not making driving more financially burdensome to the poor. These sorts of schemes only work in the most perfectly spherical of worlds where someone with a daily driving commute can just not drive to save $5 a day. Its similar to the attitude that part of the solution for poor people is they should "just move closer to their jobs."

1. You have to pay more if you drive.
2. However, we're running commuter rail trains 300% more often than we used to, for longer hours, and at larger scales. We're also running shuttles to help people get to train stations.
3. Remember how expensive the trains used to be? We've cut the fares in half.

Doesn't seem all that punitive to me.

quote:

No, because usually an income tax isn't trying to destroy all income, or a sales tax isn't trying to end all sales. Meanwhile a carbon tax is attempting to end all carbon. I'm not opposed to carbon taxes theoretically, I'm opposed to funding climate change resilience or other reoccurring obligations like public transit through carbon taxes. (And I'm opposed to carbon taxes as the only means of regulation, but neither of us are arguing that.)

A lot of the infrastructure that needs to be built out has large up-front costs that need to be covered. If congestion fee revenues drop over a period of time, that's quite possibly fine.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 30, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

80% of Los Angeles is now a short bike ride from a Metro Train.

I work here for 3 days a week and I don't have a car when I do that.

Driving here is so awful, just expanding transit will get people to use it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Insanite posted:

Yeah. If cars and car infrastructure are sabotaging your attempts to reduce carbon emissions and move people around equitably, I'm not sure how you get around that. Fees are one approach. Banning cars entirely is another. Allowing cars in on a rotating basis based on, IDK, license plate numbers is another. We need fewer cars and less parking, and we need them now.

Yes, doing anything that actually addresses the issue at a policy level that isn't just yet another cost of being poor would be better.

quote:

I'm not especially keen on supporting people living anywhere and getting around in a car as they're accustomed to no matter what. Does this make me a bad person?

The challenge comes when policies like congestion charges are both bad at doing what you want and particularly harmful to the poor while not impacting the most wasteful behaviors at all. At least a carbon tax or vehicle emissions tax would be closer to your goal.

quote:

1. You have to pay more if you drive.
2. However, we're running commuter rail trains 300% more often than we used to, for longer hours, and at larger scales. We're also deploying a shuttles strategically to help people get to train stations.
3. Remember how expensive the trains used to be? We've cut the fares in half.

Doesn't seem all that punitive to me.

Its punitive because you assume that 2&3 means that driving becomes economically optional for the working poor.

quote:

A lot of the infrastructure that needs to be built out has large up-front costs that need to be covered. If congestion fee revenues drop over a period of time, that's quite possibly fine.

Then fund it through a bond rather than a congestion charge! Using a congestion charge for timely needs is doubly risky as either the charge "works" but oops now you can't afford the train line or the charge doesn't work and you get your money but everyone keeps driving.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Conspiratiorist posted:

I agree, adjust the slant of graduated tax off our working class and onto our impossibly-privileged robber baron class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
You can gently caress right off with taxing the literal only way I can get to work while billionaires get off scot free. Motherfuckers making me want to put on a yellow vest.