Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I saw someone from the UBI Towers putting honey on his toast. From whence did he acquire such honey? Surely the product of unsavory activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Vile Pilot posted:

It's cheaper and more practical. Unlike the vast majority of people here, I'm not for any serious amount of wealth redistribution. Just the basic necessities of life provided to all citizens.

Awesome post / username here.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Vile Pilot posted:

It's cheaper and more practical. Unlike the vast majority of people here, I'm not for any serious amount of wealth redistribution. Just the basic necessities of life provided to all citizens.

Don't lie, the reason you said this is the exact same reason you see the GOP people on the news complaining that almost everyone on welfare has a fridge. You want a status symbol to show that you're *better* than they are, and you want them to wake up every day feeling that difference.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spun Dog posted:

A Modest Proposal

The important thing is that the poor suffer

Otherwise they won't be motivated to improve

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Also, someone other than Fart City had an animated gif avatar of the same person in the same outfit. What's that from, anyway?
It's Aunt Martha from the movie Sleepaway Camp if I'm not mistaken.

edit: gah, refresh page :P

Fart City posted:

FYI if anyone is curious my av is an illustration I did of Aunt Martha from Sleepaway Camp, aka my spirit animal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DKcF4R7tmlE
The first time I saw this movie I thought she was played by a man in drag, and then I just assumed that had been the case for years, until I eventually read the credits.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 29, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

you can't really inflate the price of food that much, as food is highly elastic and there are a ton of different food producers. plus, people aren't going to start eating 2x or 3x the amount of food with higher income. rich people don't eat 40k calories a day, for example

housing prices would see some inflation in highly desirable areas but there's a lot of land in america that could still be developed for housing, as well as making existing housing denser. the problem with housing prices in america is not insufficient supply in aggregate, but rather insufficient supply in specific areas along with minimum housing prices still being higher than many people's ability to pay

section 8 is a terrible program that is mostly in place just because the federal government is highly restricted in what it can do regarding direct housing provision

How soon until you scream about trickle down and how people on welfare are moochers?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Levitate posted:

Is there some part of proposed UBI systems that would help prevent them from basically just being an excuse to inflate the cost of everything? I am certainly cynical enough to believe if there was a basic level of income for people in order for them to have food and housing etc that companies and landlords etc would just raise their prices by that much because "hey it's the market/we can charge more/etc"

e: this is me showing my ignorance on the topic for sure.

and dog tax I suppose

Posting this so I can just use boots as my example for everything

quote:

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

― Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms: The Play

In short, supply and demand. Keep in mind the biggest shift in spending will be poor people who now have more income free to either purchase luxuries, improve their homes, move, get a new car, or change other spending habits. Companies will not be able to just increase the cost of cheap boots. They will need to sell more of the high quality boots. This means they can reallocate resources away from cheap boot production to good boot production, and realize economies of scale in doing so. Also, other people will be making more good boots too, so they are competing with them, and will not just increase the cost of their good boots by 50%. Meanwhile people can now realize the cost savings of having good boots, and take THAT money and go buy other goods.

Where I do worry is rent and home pricing. People with some more money might start moving around a lot, and that will play havoc with certain areas, and its not like you can just change up the housing available overnight. So people smarter than me need to think long and hard about it and come up with some mitigating solutions.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vile Pilot posted:

Yeah but section 8 housing isn't entirely free.

That would go against my opinion that no one should be homeless, starving, dying of lack of medical care, etc.

Ok I mispoke, I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper if it was well run.

DrNutt posted:

Would you care to explain why, given the undeniable realities of how wealth is acquired?

This isn't bait, btw, I'm honestly curious as to why you feel that way.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Tell that to the people trying to get the vouchers

It's drastically underfunded but the concept is just food stamps for housing

yeah, block grants would be way better than some half rear end market voucher system but the federal government wanted to get out of consistent entitlements for housing provision to localities, and localities also wanted to dump expensive public housing from their books. most mid size cities with lower cost of living tore down their public housing and ended up pushing poor people to rotting suburbs, cities like NYC would definitely prefer to get rid of public housing but the political cost of evicting tens of thousands of people with no real solution in place to house them would be a huge crisis

solution is just to massively fund HUD to get regular, dependable grants to build public housing again

CommieGIR posted:

How soon until you scream about trickle down and how people on welfare are moochers?

if you don't understand any of the words i type just do us both a favor and scroll past my posts

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The important thing is that the poor suffer

Otherwise they won't be motivated to improve

Behind every desire to have people live like Dickensian peasants is that sentiment.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

TheScott2K posted:

I saw someone from the UBI Towers putting honey on his toast. From whence did he acquire such honey? Surely the product of unsavory activities.

WHERE DID HE GET THE TOASTER?

Vile Pilot
Jan 19, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

ZypherIM posted:

Don't lie, the reason you said this is the exact same reason you see the GOP people on the news complaining that almost everyone on welfare has a fridge. You want a status symbol to show that you're *better* than they are, and you want them to wake up every day feeling that difference.

For me personally not at all. I would be fine living in a prison cell with internet.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fart City posted:

The CEO of Starbucks becoming president would put us firmly in “huh, turns out Judge Dredd was a documentary” territory

He is so arrogant he thinks that going "Look, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made me leave the party! You better fear for your political future or otherwise more people like me might leave!" is somehow a threat with any substance.

No one who looks at him and goes "this is an attractive candidate" would vote for a Democrat in a billion years. He has no base, no future, and no ability to even answer basic questions about what he'd do as President other than make money for other rich people. His candidacy will be shorter than Scott loving Walker's was--hell, I'd be surprised if he lasts until Iowa.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vile Pilot posted:

For me personally not at all. I would be fine living in a prison cell with internet.

When Glorious Revolution comes we'll put you in the queue for one.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
All this "Bread and Barracks" thing sounds great when you're like 14 and don't understand that people don't want to live in these kinds of places and will literally fight you if you only feed them bread.

I'm not saying you're 14 or anything, but you're casually disregarding the entire sum of human society. If you're saying "do this as a last resort", I think we should try some other resorts first.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Vile Pilot posted:

goons.txt

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vile Pilot posted:

:stare:

Are you a Victor Hugo character?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Vile Pilot posted:

I'm not for any serious amount of wealth redistribution. Just the basic necessities of life provided to all citizens.

fuckin' :lol: forever that you think the latter is possible without the former goddamn dude

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When you think about it, the Count of Monte Cristo should have just chilled in that cell forever; he had a pretty nice life there.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Is it just me, or does it seem like we've been getting a whole lotta live ones and hot takes itt lately?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He is so arrogant he thinks that going "Look, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made me leave the party! You better fear for your political future or otherwise more people like me might leave!" is somehow a threat with any substance.

No one who looks at him and goes "this is an attractive candidate" would vote for a Democrat in a billion years. He has no base, no future, and no ability to even answer basic questions about what he'd do as President other than make money for other rich people. His candidacy will be shorter than Scott loving Walker's was--hell, I'd be surprised if he lasts until Iowa.

Iowa is irrelevant since he's running independent.

He will keep going as long as it helps his book tour.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

Behind every desire to have people live like Dickensian peasants is that sentiment.

THAT'S NOT A BEAR, THAT'S JUST A SILLY MAN IN A FUR COAT THAT NEEDS A SHAVE!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

Wait, they had a toaster? Well, lah de dah, I thought we were talking about actual poors here. Not rich rear end toaster owners.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bicyclops posted:

i loving hate this since as a backpacker the reason you don't feed bears is they are dangerous as gently caress and start associating people with food and as wild loving animals might also eat you as food.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Bicyclops posted:

When you think about it, the Count of Monte Cristo should have just chilled in that cell forever; he had a pretty nice life there.

What's the big deal? They even let Reuben Carter wear his own clothes!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Iowa is irrelevant since he's running independent.

He will keep going as long as it helps his book tour.

I was thinking in terms of a timetable; most non-serious candidates drop out before then whether they're running in a primary or not.

If he's truly only doing this to promote his book, though, he's going to get booed out of every venue he goes to.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hey so have we fully grasped that a 29 year old congresswoman who has been in office less than a month scared a billionaire into running what will likely be a disaster of a presidential run?

These people cannot be more scared of millennials getting elected - especially millenials who aren’t straight white christian males. Get elected to office. Force remaining boomers to adapt or get voted out. AOC herself is great but what she represents - new ideas, new energy, a new America fighting to form a more perfect union - is so much greater, and we can’t let it get extinguished.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

fishing with the fam posted:

Are you not a fan of enclaves of human misery?

Look, if we don't create Sanctuary Cities, where do we get this from?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

It's not real.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i loving hate this since as a backpacker the reason you don't feed bears is they are dangerous as gently caress and start associating people with food and as wild loving animals might also eat you as food.

If you told that to Chuck Asay he'd just say it makes the analogy to poors even stronger. Rest in piss, Chuck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ChrisCoons/status/1090332394731855876

Chris Coons is a dope.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ms Adequate posted:

Uncle, this Gabriel Bell looks just like Commander Sisko!

Vile Pilot
Jan 19, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

:stare:

Are you a Victor Hugo character?

I didn't choose the NEET life, the NEET life chose me.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Vile Pilot posted:

The thing is, the cost to make it not a brutalist shithole is not huge. There are underlying reasons why you're ok with "the poors" living in low quality housing areas, and they're not good. You should reflect on this.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Vile Pilot posted:

I didn't choose the NEET life, the NEET life chose me.

wait you're against redistribution and you're not even rich?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I feel like every 2 or 3 years I read an article about how companies are asking for huge qualifications for poo poo pay and then shrugging, saying "we just can't find qualified workers"

Pretty sure that's all intentional because they have to make some sort of token bad faith effort to hire a citizen/legal resident before they can instead sponsor a cheap foreign worker on a visa.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It's actually good that he's doing this because he's making it so transparently obvious that billionaires are all poo poo eating bastards that you should hate

A big part of how they skate by is that nobody really pays attention to them individually, so drawing attention to how stupid, horrible, and out of touch you are only makes people go "oh man does that guy suck"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Vile Pilot posted:

So you're opposed to the wealthy being wealthy? Because that's wealth redistribution on a massive scale, from workers being denied the full fruits of their efforts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

UBI Administrator: Here you are, citizen. You may have one toilet, one cot, with blankets, and one Chromebook with an associated Reddit account. Meal time is at noon. Please wear your iron mask at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1090332936392658944