Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

and it's pretty much a certainty at this point the EU tells her to gently caress off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

and it's pretty much a certainty at this point the EU tells her to gently caress off?

Literally one second after it passes:

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1090308741591900160

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I think the BBS also quoted somebody from the ERG saying "Just because we vote for the amendment now doesn't mean we have to vote for the final deal, if the EU actually agrees... ".

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-nireland-blast/ira-claims-responsibility-for-londonderry-car-bomb-idUKKCN1PN1L0

quote:

'IRA' claims responsibility for Londonderry car bomb

welp

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/29/discovery-of-biggest-uk-gas-field-in-a-decade-glengorm-north-sea

quote:

A Chinese-led consortium has discovered the UK’s biggest gas field in more than a decade

Brexit hard and welcome the Chinese overlords.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm getting so loving confused at all this brexit twisting and turning.

This latest thing they're now voting on, its an amendment to her existing deal to.... remove... the backstop? From it? The backstop which was supposed to make sure no borders would be in ireland? But enough tories don't like that because... it still means free movement, or staying in the economic sphere or... something? And anything without that will of course be immediately rejected by the EU?

I don't know, I'm loving stumped. I think I lost the plot like, 5 brexit votes ago.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
It's is not an amendment to the deal.

It is a rejection of the current deal that acts as a counter-offer.

I'm not sure the MPs grasp the difference.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

why do they think brussels gives a poo poo if its “their fault”

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The EU being at fault is intended for domestic consumption. If it were prehistoric times where people couldn't easily look at other media they might be able to get that story to stick.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

as an outsider looking in it seems like the entire philosophy of the tory party has been to avoid ever being responsible for anything, so that's probably their prime concern when formulating any kind of strategy

and because conservatives seem to lack a theory of mind they assume everyone else has the same aversion to responsibility as they do

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Drunkboxer posted:

why do they think brussels gives a poo poo if its “their fault”

if they keep this up britain is gonna leave

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
They think Hobbes was prescriptive rather than descriptive.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

None of you will be allowed to sleep soundly.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Randler posted:

It's is not an amendment to the deal.

It is a rejection of the current deal that acts as a counter-offer.

I'm not sure the MPs grasp the difference.

Ok, so May is gearing up her coalition to vote down her agreement? I remember her getting blown out of the water on her agreement, then I remember talk about amending her agreement to get rid of the backstop or something, which the EU would reject. So they're voting down the old agreement? Or an agreement from the EU? Or is this something about the automatic measure to implement the agreement in the event of no deal? Or they've got 2 agreements up, the old one and the amended one and they're voting down the old one again?

My head hurts, I don't know how anyone follows this.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
N / Brady passes 317-301, so this very clearly means, um,

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've been busy with my dumb country recently, so I hjaven't been able to follow along with the recent UK dumb stuff. What's happened since May's Brexit bill lost? I cant really figure it out from a quick perusal

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

CactusWeasle posted:

N / Brady passes 317-301, so this very clearly means, um,

Springfield's getting a monorail :dance:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Randler posted:

Springfield's getting a monorail :dance:

but brexit's still all cracked and broken

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I've negotiated exit deals with Brockway, Ogdenville and Westminster

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1090350275913748480?s=19

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

that thread is wild

what the gently caress

WHY DO THE LEAVERS THINK THEY GET TO KEEP 39 BILLION POUNDS

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

How...the backstop is non-negotiable right, everyone...literally everyone has said and is saying it's non-negotiable...is this the Tories thinking that because they can unilatiraly decide to revoke article 50 that pertains to all their negotiations with the EU?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

An insane mind posted:

How...the backstop is non-negotiable right, everyone...literally everyone has said and is saying it's non-negotiable...is this the Tories thinking that because they can unilatiraly decide to revoke article 50 that pertains to all their negotiations with the EU?

post username combo

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

We know you're selling this house for £500,000 and not a penny less but my family had a vote and we've decided we'll pay £1.

What do you mean you won't sell it at that price?? We already sold our old house! It's your fault we're homeless!

twoday
May 4, 2005

OK so to summarize:

May had arranged a deal with the EU. To avoid creating a hard border with Ireland it involved keeping the whole UK in a customs union until some other solution was figured out. The Tories didn't like this because it's not Brexity enough.

It got slammed in parliament and didn't pass. This triggered a vote of no confidence. She survived that.

Today was a vote on an amendment to May's deal. This so-called Brady amendment says that the Deal with the EU would be the same except that the UK wouldn't be in a customs union. The Brady amendment says that there will be no hard border with Ireland and the customs problem will be solved with "alternative arrangements." There is no explanation for what these would be, and nobody has any actual answers or solutions, so this is basically an impossible and vague demand that has been tagged on to the EU deal. The Tories thought that if they did this they would have some leverage in negotiating with the EU, for reasons I still don't understand.

The amendment passed.

The EU just repeated that the deal will not be renegotiated, as they have been saying all along.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

JFairfax posted:

post username combo

People are really annoyed by my username :( well not annoyed apparently but it's just part of a Terry Pratchett quote that I couldn't put up there in its interity.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^ You don't use enough exclamation marks for that then.

An insane mind posted:

Probably cause they go back on business deals all the time. "Oh you thought I would be paying back the loan with interest? Don't know what makes you think that"

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
You laugh now, but wait until next year when every single person in the UK is a billionaire

I mean, it will mostly because the UK Pound is one-to-one with the Venezuela Bolivar, but still

twoday
May 4, 2005

They voted to make no deal Brexit impossible but they also voted to make the Brexit deal impossible

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
https://twitter.com/Bust3d00/status/1090353173389295616

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

OK so to summarize:

May had arranged a deal with the EU. To avoid creating a hard border with Ireland it involved keeping the whole UK in a customs union until some other solution was figured out. The Tories didn't like this because it's not Brexity enough.

It got slammed in parliament and didn't pass. This triggered a vote of no confidence. She survived that.

Today was a vote on an amendment to May's deal. This so-called Brady amendment says that the Deal with the EU would be the same except that the UK wouldn't be in a customs union. The Brady amendment says that there will be no hard border with Ireland and the customs problem will be solved with "alternative arrangements." There is no explanation for what these would be, and nobody has any actual answers or solutions, so this is basically an impossible and vague demand that has been tagged on to the EU deal. The Tories thought that if they did this they would have some leverage in negotiating with the EU, for reasons I still don't understand.

The amendment passed.

The EU just repeated that the deal will not be renegotiated, as they have been saying all along.

god-loving-drat

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

its like watching a lovely chess player challenge a computer and getting forced into checkmate over 20 moves of being checked

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

maybe i can do this

*check*

alright how about an amendment then

*check*

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

twoday posted:

OK so to summarize:

The amendment passed.

I am vaguely wondering if the English language itself is somehow corrosive to the human mind.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The Dipshit posted:

I am vaguely wondering if the English language itself is somehow corrosive to the human mind.

orwell's theory was that it was the combination of english and politics

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

twoday posted:

They voted to make no deal Brexit impossible but they also voted to make the Brexit deal impossible
It's like that puzzle from the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy computer game where you had to have Tea and No Tea in your inventory simultaneously.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

but brexit's still all cracked and broken

Sorry, Rask, the mob has spoken.

twoday
May 4, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

You laugh now, but wait until next year when every single person in the UK is a billionaire

I mean, it will mostly because the UK Pound is one-to-one with the Venezuela Bolivar, but still

Actually this is good for britcoin

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

twoday posted:

OK so to summarize:

The amendment passed.

:lol:

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its like watching a lovely chess player challenge a computer and getting forced into checkmate over 20 moves of being checked

I'd say its more like the lovely chess player being checkmated
"ok computer how about I do this"
*you lose text continues flashing*
"ok computer how about I do this instead
*you lose text flashes brighter*