Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I really wouldn’t recommend Goblins as a first warband. Aside from being typically fragile Goblins, they have a load of extra rules which will get in the way of learning, plus slow the game down loads. Orcs are a solid choice. They’re not top-tier competitive but they’re very straight forward.

If you just want casual games, then think about proxying cards - the warband boxes aren’t designed to be effective decks out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Oh you're still doing that? Nice.

It's a pretty solid butt to be fair.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Sab669 posted:

I think the Underworlds boxes are a great value: 3-9 models for $25-30 is a great price for GW. So if you might just slowly buy stuff to paint then that's cool.

Agreed, it looks like a pretty chill break in between painting dozens upon dozens of historicals.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

GW has some pretty drat weird ways of promoting their stuff sometimes :stare:

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1087403766947680258

Post that in the Infinity thread. I heard they have an rear end-collage.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Post that in the Infinity thread. I heard they have an rear end-collage.
There are at least 3 Infinity rear end collages I know of.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the new sculpts, and there are some really good cards in the new boxes :toot:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I don't suppose any one has a spare set of cards for ironskullz Boyz? Mine have been water damaged.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

So I started watching the Grand Clash on twitch. Seems like there was a good mix of warbands this time around which could be a good indicator of how balanced the game is right now. Either that or the community is just really chill?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Psyber Spine posted:

So I started watching the Grand Clash on twitch. Seems like there was a good mix of warbands this time around which could be a good indicator of how balanced the game is right now. Either that or the community is just really chill?

I think it's both. The warbands seem pretty balanced, with the biggest difference being how difficult they are to play, and how quickly things break down if things doesn't go the way they want it to.
I've only run in to one massive, toxic idiot, and he quit the game because no one liked him. Everyone else has been pretty drat chill about it.

There's a nice variety in the grand clash top 10 too! There's even an Eyes of the Nine team up there, which makes me hopeful for the rest of my league season.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'm tempted by the Eyes, but on paper, their gameplay sounds pretty underwhelming.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

I'm tempted by the Eyes, but on paper, their gameplay sounds pretty underwhelming.
I like them! I play semi aggressive objective play, where I score passively until I get some glory. Then I boost either the horror or the tzaangor, and always the leader, and then start killing. They are flexible enough that I can change plan so long as the leader stays alive.
They have very low health overall, so positioning is crazy important to minimize risk. I've had good success against the different stormcast, some success against the super aggressive teams, and problems against horde warbands where I can't stay oit of range.
I'll be fighting the ghosts for the first time tomorrow, so that'll be interesting.
I think they're very fun and interesting to play, but I enjoy risk mitigation so it could just be me.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Welp, went to the Grand Clash and ended up in the bottom 30, going 1-3 across the day.

Thing is, it wasn't my deck that was the problem. It absolutely destroyed my opponents (who were all at least top 50) during my practice matches.

Underworlds is not a game I can play when I have a stinking hangover - I made some really, really stupid mistakes. In one game it was one glaring mistake every turn. That plus jank dice made it difficult to recover. At one point 5 attacks in a row missed, and in one game I didn't have a single successful attack.

Pretty disheartening for my first trip to WHW! My main takeaway is don't get hammered in Bugman's the night before, don't stay up playing drunken 3 player games the night before, and have some breakfast before going to the GC...

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Oof that sounds rough. Did you take any pictures while you were there? I'm thinking about going next year.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So how newbie friendly does Mollog look like?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

With his nude buttocks, Mollog is not appropriate for younger players.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

I got photos - but mostly of games, rather than the event.

There were a few issues with the event, but I'm going to be uncharacteristically optimistic and say they're teething troubles due to the size. I'm not sure GW has organised an event with ~160 players before! Blood Bowl on Sunday was about half the size and ran really smoothly. Either making it a 2-day event or putting in a hard cap of tickets would really improve it.

Mango Polo posted:

It's newbie friendly in that if all you want to do is run in and hit things, it's easy to do. However, winning will be a different matter, if you don't think about your charges/moves.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Mango Polo posted:

I'd say it's highly dependent on the newbie. If they're into wargames or board games, they'll probably struggle and have mixed success. I don't think Mollog is a great idea for newer players in general, but if they're the warband that makes the game attractive I say let that bare-backed beauty rock their socks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

d3lness posted:

let that bare-backed beauty rock their socks.

Do you let Mollog rock your socks bare-back? :thunk:

The only concern I would have is that you might develop bad habits when you switch to other warbands because Mollog can ignore the Move Token rules a little bit. Can't say how "good" the band is, but in wargames I'm often wary of taking the faction that ignores a chunk of the rulebook as a new player.

Underworlds is pretty simple though, rules wise, so I guess it probably doesn't really matter.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Big Willy Style posted:

I don't suppose any one has a spare set of cards for ironskullz Boyz? Mine have been water damaged.

US? I've got an extra Ironskull box to offload.

Dunkelbrau
Aug 9, 2003
Which warbands are on the simple side of the spectrum for beginners? I’ve bought solely based on coolness of models for painting (Nightvault starter, Gitz, Mollog) and now realize I might be in trouble for learning to play.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Denevian posted:

Which warbands are on the simple side of the spectrum for beginners? I’ve bought solely based on coolness of models for painting (Nightvault starter, Gitz, Mollog) and now realize I might be in trouble for learning to play.

The starter box stuff is fun and good for learning. You have a swarm and tank army. Both have their special tricks, but aren't super far out in left field like Mollog.

Mollog and Gitz are both fine for learning as well. It just depends if you're okay with struggling a little bit for wins while you're learning. They have super neat gimmicks which make playing them feel extra unique. All said and done, you can learn to play with all of your factions as long as you remember to thoroughly read your cards.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Denevian posted:

Orcs, Fiends, any of the Stormcast, Reavers are far and away the simplest.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd say Steelheart's Champions, Orks and Magore's Fiends are probably the easiest to learn/play. It's either, "I'm gonna sit back and not die" or "I'm gonna run at you and kill your face :black101:".

Skaven, Skeletons, Dwarves, Striders all have some weird nuances. The Reavers feel very squishy and unforgiving IMO.

I haven't played much of Nightvault. The Cursebreakers are apparently good, judging by tournament results, but I find them a little unfun to play. Spending an activation trying to cast Empower and fail and then having this cost you Magical Supremacy is like the peak of un-fun. Eyes of the Nine... You'd think the Tzeentch band would be better at Magic but apparently not. Haven't played the Haunts, Gitz, or either of the two new factions yet.

That said, I don't find the game especially complex. It's not like 40K or AoS where there's tons of little niche rules and whatnot; everyone abides by the same general core rules and then just powers up under different conditions. So I think the Rule of Cool is fine ultimately. But as I said I think picking Mollog might set you up for frustration when you play another faction and have to actually follow normal Movement rules :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My Eyes Of The Nine arrived today. First Nightvault band. Hype!

Of course I need the base Nightvault set and all the NV bands to satisfy my completionism :gonk:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

ineptmule posted:

My Eyes Of The Nine arrived today. First Nightvault band. Hype!

Of course I need the base Nightvault set and all the NV bands to satisfy my completionism :gonk:

Let us know how you like playing them. I like our birdy choas buddy, but I decided to go with some other factions first.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I ended up buying the Orcs today, and the plastic minis are really nice IRL. Just putting them together and painting them will be worth the 200 SEK I spent, no matter if I end up liking the game or not.

A clubmate is picking up the Magore box and share the base box with a friend, so we'll be at least 3-4 players even if nobody else dips into it. Now I just want to make a swanky 3D board. :P

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GW does sell terrain specifically for Underworlds. Or do you mean making your own 3D board?

And yea, I'm really impressed with their Easy Build stuff. Some large gaps, particularly with the Stormcast models, but a lot of it can be solved simply by filing down the "pegs" so they go together tighter.

That said I do need to buy a bottle of liquid greenstuff or something. The shoulders on the Stormcast (the whole AoS line of Easy Build Stormcast) is driving me nuts and while plastic cement helps, it still doesn't create a smooth seam.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sab669 posted:

GW does sell terrain specifically for Underworlds. Or do you mean making your own 3D board?

And yea, I'm really impressed with their Easy Build stuff. Some large gaps, particularly with the Stormcast models, but a lot of it can be solved simply by filing down the "pegs" so they go together tighter.

That said I do need to buy a bottle of liquid greenstuff or something. The shoulders on the Stormcast (the whole AoS line of Easy Build Stormcast) is driving me nuts and while plastic cement helps, it still doesn't create a smooth seam.

I was thinking of a basic board, as I think even a moderately effort board looks better than cardboard for minis games. Something basic like this:

https://twitter.com/amoeba_bait/status/920522597623848962

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lilljonas posted:

I was thinking of a basic board, as I think even a moderately effort board looks better than cardboard for minis games. Something basic like this:

I've seen ones like that for shadespire, they look amazing. That gorechosen one looks doable with some foam sculpting experience and an airbrush.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

berzerkmonkey posted:

US? I've got an extra Ironskull box to offload.

Australia, unfortunately.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

lilljonas posted:

That looks cool as poo poo, but it'd be tough to pull off because you have like, what, 6 or 8 different boards to choose from for Underworlds

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

On the other end of the hobby scale I hear the Grand Clash was won by someone with an unpainted warband? Is there any truth to that?

One of my friends is getting very salty about it and saying it demeans the hobby etc. and they should have enforced a minimum paint requirement like their other events. Personally I don't mind, the minis are just glorified counters for a board game and afaik the game is treated by a lot of folk as similar to Magic the Gathering (where they certainly don't expect you to paint your cards!).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

The only thing you might run into is that the board layouts and how the different ones get put together is really important to the game so you’d have to figure out how to duplicate them all.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The only thing you might run into is that the board layouts and how the different ones get put together is really important to the game so you’d have to figure out how to duplicate them all.

I should probably wait with drafting up ideas until I've played the actual game, but I'm thinking that an empty board and modular tiles that you can put on top of it might work.

Or just make one of the boards, and use cardboard for the rest.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

lilljonas posted:

https://hexy.store/109-underworlds-shadespire-nightvault I grabbed the spooky terrain set plus the reaper piece. There's heaps of great terrain out there for those who don't feel like going as gloriously over the top as you undoubtedly will.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Terrain talk:
I make these trophies for my league. They fit on blocked hexes, and they're great for intimidating people at tournaments.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Wazzu posted:

https://hexy.store/109-underworlds-shadespire-nightvault I grabbed the spooky terrain set plus the reaper piece. There's heaps of great terrain out there for those who don't feel like going as gloriously over the top as you undoubtedly will.

Those look nice and I think the opposite of your post: why not BOTH use a nice 3D board AND such cool extra terrain sets? :P

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

One of my friends is getting very salty about it and saying it demeans the hobby etc. and they should have enforced a minimum paint requirement like their other events. Personally I don't mind, the minis are just glorified counters for a board game and afaik the game is treated by a lot of folk as similar to Magic the Gathering (where they certainly don't expect you to paint your cards!).

I can tell you that the people making this game are very keen to stay away from "everything must be painted". This is GW's attempt at some crossover, and "everything must be painted" is such a horrible barrier to entry. There's a reason why all the warbands come in different coloured-plastics.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

glitchkrieg posted:

I can tell you that the people making this game are very keen to stay away from "everything must be painted". This is GW's attempt at some crossover, and "everything must be painted" is such a horrible barrier to entry. There's a reason why all the warbands come in different coloured-plastics.

Yeah you're never going to cut into the X-wing or magic crowd if you require painting. It makes a lot of sense to keep it very boardgamer/cardgamer-friendly.

For me, painting four minis is an afternoon session if I were pushed, but for some of my friends it would never ever happen.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much exactly my argument back. It's not like Necromunda etc. where miniature profiles actually matter for LOS etc.