Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RME posted:

intsys so heavily reused assets in their gba games its almost shocking to bring it in as a counter point

I'm referring to when the generals activate their special abilities, and it shows the full character art, not the sprites.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
We were talking about weird mecha a while back, and I started watching a show that had gone under the radar for me.

Heavy Object was a light novel series by the the guy who wrote Index, and it's about a world where giant metal balls covered in guns called 'Objects' fight each other. Armor technology has improved, and also they've figured out how to transmit power through said armor. Therefore incredibly powerful reactors encased in hundreds of layers of armor and covered with guns and mobility devices dominate the battlefield. Even nuclear weapons don't do much as the heat and shock just ablate off a few layers of armor or weapons which can be rebuilt.

The story revolves around a pair military buds who essentially get roped into being 'commandos' due to them successfully taking down an Object without the use of another Object. Since these mecha are so powerful, traditional military's have gotten weaker, and since these objects are seen as invincible, they're often not effectively screened or protected, leaving them open to being taken down with unorthodox tactics.

It's basically the story of a pair of Zeon grunts who get tasked with taking out Gundams, and occasionally Char helps out. All this is marred by a lot of weird fan service and stuff, but the concept itself is kind of fun if you haven't seen it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Heavy Object sounded super cool when I saw the idea, but I tried reading the light novel and gave up when one of the dudes freaked out because a girl surprised him while he was fishing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I guess Krang got tired of the Turtles' poo poo... :eyepop:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

verbal enema posted:

I look forward to talking about the good manga with you

I read volume one this morning and it was a really good delinquent manga but I'm curious to see how it makes the jump to the picture of a dude all strung up and bloodied someone posted a bit aho

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I read volume one this morning and it was a really good delinquent manga but I'm curious to see how it makes the jump to the picture of a dude all strung up and bloodied someone posted a bit aho

there are some bad motherfuckers out there

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

verbal enema posted:

there are some bad motherfuckers out there

The only other delinquent manga Ive read any of is crows so it's kinda interesting to read about a guy trying to keep his nose clean while still being the violent dickbag he knows he is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm referring to when the generals activate their special abilities, and it shows the full character art, not the sprites.

that's, what battle chip challenge does when you slot in a chip

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Hungry posted:

Heavy Object sounded super cool when I saw the idea, but I tried reading the light novel and gave up when one of the dudes freaked out because a girl surprised him while he was fishing.

Yeah that stuff is the worst part of it.

If it were just a military mecha show it would be good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

that's, what battle chip challenge does when you slot in a chip

No, it's a narrow one-quarter width panel of the operator (not the navi) that slides across the screen and doesn't look flashy at all.
You like it, I get it, but it was never worth its asking price.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

is that the threshold of acceptable new assets

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently that guy doesn't recognize quality.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

RME posted:

is that the threshold of acceptable new assets

All I want is some cool fullscreen art of cool robots with a musical stinger and flashing lines for action and excitement when doing a move.
I really don't think that's much to ask for a mostly static game with very little visual flair.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

that's fair but that's a different complaint than reused assets

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was being lazy in my choice of words for brevity. That's my fault.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

This fella sounds like a dick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

You like it, I get it, but it was never worth its asking price.
i think there are things that determine if somethings worth its asking price besides production value

almost all the best games ever made are cheap as hell

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Majora's Mask bad too because it had heavily reused assets? idgi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can get going 'there's no pzazz to the action which makes it kind of hard for me to get invested in and i dont really care about the writing' but acting like it's objectively worthless because its cheap and rushed is weird

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The cartridge was made of solid gold though so it canceled out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

1.) It was the second use of those assets, not the fourth.
2.) It was a full game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
are you just upset that battle chip challenge was a weird take on the battle network setting and not an actual mainline game

as rushed as bcc might be in some ways it's not exactly rockman exe ws or network transmission, which despite making their own assets look insanely ugly and play like crap (though ws has some fun ideas that could have been good if it wasn't an insanely cheap anime tie-in game)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

battle: chip's challenge

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

are you just upset that battle chip challenge was a weird take on the battle network setting and not an actual mainline game

Actually, I like seeing orthodoxy challenged. I just wanted more work done to make it good. As it is, it's mediocre.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bcc is a better game than bn4 basically by default at the very least

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I wouldn't know. I beat BN3 and bought 4, but couldn't be arsed to keep playing after the intro.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

I wouldn't know. I beat BN3 and bought 4, but couldn't be arsed to keep playing after the intro.

You made a wise decision.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

3 and 6 are the only real good BNs anyways.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mister Facetious posted:

4 and 5 are

Not good

I really like 6 tho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
LMAO the leader of the gang in out is like mega pretty anime androgyne

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

figure skating + mahjong stream, in 20 minutes https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where's the other Out people

I just finished volume 3

if kanema is actually dead I'm gonna be fuckin piiiiiiiissed

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

im prepared to defend bcc forever because the actual battle system is wild despite the randomness of it

like i really enjoy that you can focus on destroying an opponent's deck or going for direct attacks adn some really powerful chips had low hp so your cool deck could get wasted if you just loaded up on those

it was dumb that you only had 30 chips to build with per tourney though, because you got no chance to adjust for when they had a random fire navi in a wood tourney as a gently caress you

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

also i liked that mayl and dex got to take over the story if you wanted

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Finally, I'll learn how to play Mahjong!
*48 minutes later*
Ah well, nevertheless...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

KH3= Win.