Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How close are phono and mic level? Could I just go into a couple mic pres on my mixer and hard pan them left and right? My TT only has line out so it's moot anyway but it'd be nice to know if/when I get a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
A standalone phono preamp is like $15 and always worth it. Amplifying at the computer also amplifies all the noise between the turntable and DAC in the sound card/northbridge, and the computer itself is also chock full of electrical noise.

It's the equivalent of listening to someone whisper quietly in a windstorm with a shotgun mic, versus just asking them to speak louder.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

No, I'm going from a mixer to a pair of speakers. No computer involved.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
S...same thing? Unless your mixer has a phono stage set up specifically for it. Even commercial mixers/boards are designed for a certain heat.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

My friend just lucked into a cache of like, 400 records?? Some old dude she knows just doesn’t have a player anymore, and didn’t wanna sell them

A lot of dad rock, lot of Zappa, the jackets are pretty beat-up but the discs seem pretty nice. Good haul for free

Edit: Some of the titles, sorry for the spilled beer, it’s been a fun night

Pretty good haul. Atomic Rooster is pretty sweet and Love it to Death is the best Alice Cooper album. I'm jealous. Have fun.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not gonna lie, on some level part of the appeal of collecting music for me is the hope that after I'm dead and gone some niece or nephew, or estate bidder, or whoever stumbles across it and gets excited at what they find.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

A+ birthday gift. Side A is Wesley Willis singing his song about The Frogs and the B-Side is The Frogs playing a song about Wesley Willis. Oddly enough out of the 1300 Frogs songs in circulation (that's not even including the 30 or so bootlegs I've been able to track down), you can't find this one online. Wish I had one of those USB turntables.

The :nws: :nws: back cover.

If you wanted to rip this to a computer to put it on a digital device or a CD you don't need a USB. The whole USB thing is just for dumb dumbs. Get a stereophonic RCA to 1/8 adapter and plug that into your sound card (of mic input if this is not an option) and then record the album with Audacity or some similar program. Some people seem to think this creates a better reproduction than using a USB connection but I can't confirm whether or not that's true.

pwn posted:

My friend just lucked into a cache of like, 400 records?? Some old dude she knows just doesn’t have a player anymore, and didn’t wanna sell them

A lot of dad rock, lot of Zappa, the jackets are pretty beat-up but the discs seem pretty nice. Good haul for free

Edit: Some of the titles, sorry for the spilled beer, it’s been a fun night

That's a good haul considering that situations like these usually yield a pile of Herb Alpert and show tunes.

Toe Rag posted:

Not to be pedantic but it’s needs to be a line level signal if you’re going to a line-in port. If your record player only outputs phono then you need to have the preamp plugged in as well.

I guess you could plug a phono signal into a line port but it will probably sound terrible.

I forgot about this. A lot of modern turntables have a built in pre-amp though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Toe Rag posted:

Not to be pedantic but it’s needs to be a line level signal if you’re going to a line-in port. If your record player only outputs phono then you need to have the preamp plugged in as well.

I guess you could plug a phono signal into a line port but it will probably sound terrible.

sorry i meant phono out from the preamp.

TT > preamp > line in

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've got a table with USB out and I'm very happy with the sound quality of my recordings. I'm also very happy with occasional youtube rips so maybe keep that in mind but my vinyl rips sound perfectly fine. I could do it the other way, I've got a proper audio interface hooked up and everything, but eh it's all in different rooms and :effort:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Can't you just have the computer do the RIAA correction? I'd be extremely surprised if there weren't plugins or programs for that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

A+ birthday gift. Side A is Wesley Willis singing his song about The Frogs and the B-Side is The Frogs playing a song about Wesley Willis. Oddly enough out of the 1300 Frogs songs in circulation (that's not even including the 30 or so bootlegs I've been able to track down), you can't find this one online. Wish I had one of those USB turntables.

The :nws: :nws: back cover.

Very jealous, that's super cool.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Toe Rag posted:

I do have a pre-amp. Sounds just fine.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

New Label outta the UK just popped up with pre-orders for a new Electric Wizard live album, limited to 500 copies.

:nws: cover in case you're browsing at work.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 28, 2019

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

No audio samples and this line

quote:

Raw as gently caress live (BOOTLEG)...for fanatics only!
means it's an audience recording from a phone that will sound like absolute poo poo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't you just have the computer do the RIAA correction? I'd be extremely surprised if there weren't plugins or programs for that.

Audacity can apply the equalization curve after you record it.

I'm not going to speak to the quality that you'll get between both options because I haven't done that. But it's doable. You just need to take that into account as you're recording, because you probably need to leave a bit of headroom.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Oldstench posted:

No audio samples and this line

means it's an audience recording from a phone that will sound like absolute poo poo.

honestly that sounds cooler than their last 5 or so releases

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

A human heart posted:

honestly that sounds cooler than their last 5 or so releases

Harsh, but fair

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

it'll end someday

(not pictured: the bulk pressing LPs ill get around to buying some time)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

it'll end someday

(not pictured: the bulk pressing LPs ill get around to buying some time)

Hey, do you like the Mountain Goats?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Did you preorder In League With Dragons tho

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
yeah i did, the set he played at wotc today was great. he suckered me in with that 7"

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

CPL593H posted:

Hey, do you like the Mountain Goats?

i do and if anyone ever sees this motherfucker, think of me to be handsomely rewarded

https://www.discogs.com/The-Mountain-Goats-All-Survivors-Pack/release/2797105

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I looked at my discogs wantlist and the average starting price is $40.62 :smith:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

I looked at my discogs wantlist and the average starting price is $40.62 :smith:

The only stuff I want list is expensive poo poo in the hopes that someone will post a record I want for a reasonable price. Of course it never happens because it only takes one moron over paying for poo poo to drive the prices way up, without fail every loving time.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've got a cat hair problem. Like, the moment I open a brand new record there's half a cat attached to it already.

Are there any brushes that are particularly good, or to be avoided? Done a bit of research and I'm seeing a lot of mixed opinions with some people complaining about scratches.

Also another unrelated question - I've just got an Audio Technica LP3, which is fully automatic. Am I still okay to move the tonearm manually on an automatic player or should I only ever use the start/stop buttons?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

alphabettitouretti posted:

Are there any brushes that are particularly good, or to be avoided? Done a bit of research and I'm seeing a lot of mixed opinions with some people complaining about scratches.
The Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush seems to have gotten pretty good reviews. Avoiding scratches is just a question of making sure your cat is comfortable and calm throughout.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush seems to have gotten pretty good reviews. Avoiding scratches is just a question of making sure your cat is comfortable and calm throughout.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I'm looking for a brush to clean records not cats. I'm not made of money, rather than buying brushes I simply lick my cats to clean them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

Sorry I should have been more specific, I'm looking for a brush to clean records not cats. I'm not made of money, rather than buying brushes I simply lick my cats to clean them.

Get this: http://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/1573/record-cleaning-brush-brcarbon-fiber

I've been using the same one for a decade and it still works as well as the day I got it. It's definitely never scratched a record. I would also recommend anti-static inner sleeves such as those made by Mobile Fidelity or something similar. Paper sleeves create an incredible amount of static as well as their own debris.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
VMP Records of the Month have been announced:

Essentials: Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
Classics: Buddy Guy - Left My Blues in San Francisco
Rap & Hip-Hop - T.I. - King

I definitely want to grab King, but decided to swap it for the exclusive pressing of The Fugees - The Score. Also decided to swap Van Morrison for the Miles Davis / John Coltrane exclusive that appeared in the swap list.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That Davis/Coltrane album is great, I grabbed it last month.

None of the albums do anything for me this month so I swapped for Cosmogramma and Blossom Dearie (which is about to sell out).

Also i strongly recommend getting BadBadNotGood’s IV, which they have less than 100 copies left. I like jazzy hip hop, or in this case, hip hoppy jazz.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ballz posted:

That Davis/Coltrane album is great, I grabbed it last month.

None of the albums do anything for me this month so I swapped for Cosmogramma and Blossom Dearie (which is about to sell out).

Also i strongly recommend getting BadBadNotGood’s IV, which they have less than 100 copies left. I like jazzy hip hop, or in this case, hip hoppy jazz.

I actually picked up a sealed copy of the VMP Exclusive of "IV" from a seller on reddit for $15 shipped. It was on my swap list but couldn't pass up that price. I think The Score is now unavailable to swap so I am glad I grabbed it. Really stoked for the bonus 7" that comes with it. That will leave me with an extra copy of The Score on black vinyl if anyone wants to pick it up. We could work out a sweet deal, it's been played once and is NM/NM.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Went into my neighborhood record store for the first time after walking past it for years, and something just clicked. I never really "got" vinyl collecting until I went in. Everybody working there was really chill, loved to chat about and recommend local bands, and the album artwork they had on display was really cool. Plus there is a Simpson's arcade machine that's free to play in a corner. I wound up purchasing a couple of records from them, but the problem is that I have no way to play them and I don't really know where to begin.

My friends are showering me with recommendations for turntables, receivers and other things, but to be honest most just go over my head as I am not a tech-oriented person. My overall budget is about $500 for a system that will just allow me to relax and listen to some records, and in navigating through this very-new world I think I've come up with a setup that should work. If I could get some comments or recommendations that would be great.

Here's what I've been thinking about purchasing:

A U-Turn Orbit Plus for the turntable, an Onkyo TX-8020 for the stereo receiver, and a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR for speakers. My friends say the acrylic platter is worth the upgrade on the base Orbit and I like that they are built in the US.

Is this everything that I need? Should I be looking at other brands? Thanks!

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

MrSargent posted:

I actually picked up a sealed copy of the VMP Exclusive of "IV" from a seller on reddit for $15 shipped. It was on my swap list but couldn't pass up that price. I think The Score is now unavailable to swap so I am glad I grabbed it. Really stoked for the bonus 7" that comes with it. That will leave me with an extra copy of The Score on black vinyl if anyone wants to pick it up. We could work out a sweet deal, it's been played once and is NM/NM.

Interested! You already have my address, PM me a price?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Chip McFuck posted:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR

I don't have any experience with the Orbit Plus, but I've got a few pairs of those Pioneer speakers and have been very happy with them. If you're looking at other players the Audio Technica AT-LP120 is a solid choice.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I just got into Vinyl over Christmas and we have had 0 regrets with the AT-LP120 and edifier R1280T speakers. Both from Amazon for I think....$350 or so total?
Did a bunch of research before settling on the 120. Happily use this setup drat near every night

MrSargent posted:

VMP Records of the Month have been announced:

Essentials: Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
Classics: Buddy Guy - Left My Blues in San Francisco
Rap & Hip-Hop - T.I. - King

I definitely want to grab King, but decided to swap it for the exclusive pressing of The Fugees - The Score. Also decided to swap Van Morrison for the Miles Davis / John Coltrane exclusive that appeared in the swap list.

I too made the swap for the Fugees - The score
Nothing else really jumped out to me this month. Although I am coming up on the end of my 3 month subscription I'll most likely reup for a while longer.
Kinda fun diving through the different records offered with my lady and settling on something

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 29, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

TheJetCityFix posted:

Interested! You already have my address, PM me a price?

PM'd!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I too made the swap for the Fugees - The score
Nothing else really jumped out to me this month. Although I am coming up on the end of my 3 month subscription I'll most likely reup for a while longer.
Kinda fun diving through the different records offered with my lady and settling on something

Nice, glad you were able to grab one before they disappeared. I thought I remember a VMP employee mentioning that next month's RHH album would be something from the "classic era", which usually bodes well for me. I still have a pretty decent list of VMP exclusives I would like to own, so I'll probably be a member for a while.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The March Essentials album of the month is gonna be 1980s hip hop. Not sure if any clues for the actual Rap and Hip Hop track have been released yet.

Classics should be interesting too, it’s a long out of print free jazz record being handled by Egon from Now-Again/Stones Throw.

Also while not officially announced yet, if you’re a TI fan there should be exclusive reissues for Trap Muzik and Paper Trail coming in the very near future.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

The March Essentials album of the month is gonna be 1980s hip hop. Not sure if any clues for the actual Rap and Hip Hop track have been released yet.

Classics should be interesting too, it’s a long out of print free jazz record being handled by Egon from Now-Again/Stones Throw.

Also while not officially announced yet, if you’re a TI fan there should be exclusive reissues for Trap Muzik and Paper Trail coming in the very near future.

Ugh, gonna be an expensive month. I am always intrigued by the work that Egon does resurrecting long-forgotten albums or artists so I'll probably grab that. I am sure I will want the 80's hip-hop album from Essentials and usually like what they pick for RHH. I'm gonna need another shelf soon.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I’m right there with ya, haha. A new IKEA is being built near where I live so I fully expect to visit it opening week to pick up another Kallax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
After running through some samples on YouTube, I also ended up swapping for BADBADNOTGOOD. That’s the kind of stuff I enjoy having in my collection.