Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At least he didn't cut off his ear and kill himself. It could have been worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Deadguy2322 posted:

You’re missing a third, key component.

Financing.

He has said he stopped making movies because it got too hard to get the backing to do so, which is a sad loving state of affairs.

Much like Romero, Carpenter's movies were all great but on the whole they were only moderately successful. You'd think being film-makers that influenced 30 years of cinema and counting would be enough to secure some financing, but nope.

Meanwhile if you're the worst director in the world you can get unlimited financing and complete creative control of tentpole franchises.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Carpenter's extremely good but he's not exactly "safe." Like, one of the man's best films is about a heroic domestic terrorist fighting against capitalism.

Also a few of his otherwise great films also have some bafflingly terrible performances in them. Not everything he made is necessarily shoestring budget, but a lot of it feels that way because there's always one or two elements of the production that look or sound like crap, often in the same movie as e.g. amazing practical effects.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

Meanwhile if you're the worst director in the world you can get unlimited financing and complete creative control of tentpole franchises.

I still can't believe WB decided to pull some bullshit to not pay George Miller a contracted bonus for Fury Road coming in under budget even because it went "over" budget when they saw the early footage of it and gave him a bigger budget, and apparently were such assholes about this that George Miller sued them. Like I mean it's loving FURY ROAD and the dude's literally never made a bad movie and he had another story ready to go and everything and like, did I mean it's FURY loving ROAD? Literally everyone on earth fuckin' loved that flick and it made pretty good money. But it's dead. But WB basically burned any chance they were gonna be involved in another one if Miller wanted to do it. Meanwhile Maze Runner and Divergent and whatever else soldiers on.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Warner Bros is doing a bang up job with their tentpole franchises, let me tell ya.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Carpenter's extremely good but he's not exactly "safe." Like, one of the man's best films is about a heroic domestic terrorist fighting against capitalism.

Also a few of his otherwise great films also have some bafflingly terrible performances in them. Not everything he made is necessarily shoestring budget, but a lot of it feels that way because there's always one or two elements of the production that look or sound like crap, often in the same movie as e.g. amazing practical effects.

Those are all fine rationalizations, but keep in mind Carpenter's movies cost less to make than half of a John Carter or Bloated 80s Remake or Failed YA Series First Book Adaptation or whatever. There's no such thing as a safe bet.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

in conclusion hollywood is a land of contrasts

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

chitoryu12 posted:

Waters isn't a caricature of himself?

Seriously, his claim to fame now is doing a standup book tour.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lurdiak posted:

Those are all fine rationalizations, but keep in mind Carpenter's movies cost less to make than half of a John Carter or Bloated 80s Remake or Failed YA Series First Book Adaptation or whatever. There's no such thing as a safe bet.

Sure, but we're talking about something determined by perceptions in the first place.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In all fairness, his books are great.

Also, I keep meaning to catch his one man Christmas show one of these years. Probably not too many of them left...

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This, to me if they're gonna go with a Mummy like that it needs like the Jason-esque inevitable creeping death if it gets within two feet of you you are hosed feel to it.

I agree with that, which to me means that boiled down to the essentials, the best Mummy movie is The Terminator.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The mummy movie I like best is probably the mummy story in the Tales from the Dark Side movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

The mummy movie I like best is probably the mummy story in the Tales from the Dark Side movie.

i agree, i was surprised at how much i liked that movie. the connecting plot with the kid being prepared to be cooked is hilarious. Great show, great movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

i agree, i was surprised at how much i liked that movie. the connecting plot with the kid being prepared to be cooked is hilarious. Great show, great movie.

The gargoyle story always made me sad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Villainous Buscemi vs. Preppy Bully Christian Slater is so good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Isn’t there a Tales From The Crypt mummy episode with Anthony Michael Hall that is pretty good, or is thet my brain just making something up out of whole cloth?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

Isn’t there a Tales From The Crypt mummy episode with Anthony Michael Hall that is pretty good, or is thet my brain just making something up out of whole cloth?

Season 5, Episode 9, "Creep Course"

Also starring Jeffrey Jones! :pedo:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Tales from the Dark Side movie owns and the show scared me as a little kid too (even the intro).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mioevxb2CfA

Fart City posted:

You're right and the episode would get shown a lot because it is indeed pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYt9qY1MRGI

EDIT: Beaten harder than a dad demanding his Father's Day cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Yb9tba8Uo

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 29, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

Season 5, Episode 9, "Creep Course"

Also starring Jeffrey Jones! :pedo:

Well.

Appropriate title then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fart City posted:

Well that’s an absolute no-brainer

Enough about the rednecks, what do you think of the show?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

In all fairness, his books are great.

Also, I keep meaning to catch his one man Christmas show one of these years. Probably not too many of them left...

His books are hilarious, to be perfectly clear.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

His books are hilarious, to be perfectly clear.

Yeah, but I think I speak for irrationally angry internet goons when I say gently caress him for not spending all of the money he earned through decades of hard work in an influential career which he lives off of into a risky investment such as a niche indie gross-out film which wouldn't have guaranteed distribution. [/sarcasm]

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The Tales from the Dark Side movie owns and the show scared me as a little kid too (even the intro).

It scared the piss out of me as a kid. I have a distinct memory of my mom making fun of me for being scared of the ghost cat story.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And Kvlt has the nerve to talk about posers in this thread. I'm from the UK, we got scarier school safety videos.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Talking about old anthology horror shows took me down a nostalgia rabbit hole, and, well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zx0C18M19o

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fart City posted:

Talking about old anthology horror shows took me down a nostalgia rabbit hole, and, well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zx0C18M19o

That's one where people tend to love it or hate it which is understandable for what a mixed bag it was. I liked it and I'm still surprised they had an adaptation of Jack and the Yattering in it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

The Tales From the Darkside intro is my every day mantra.

Anyone ever watch Boris Karloff's Thriller? He introduced the episodes Rod Serling-style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOJ0xgrbM0

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

This isn't really true. He's actually achieved the level of fame where his claim to fame is just being himself. He's one of those people who can just book a tour that's called "An Evening With ..." and it will sell out. There's nothing wrong with this. He's still passionate about films in general (his yearly best of lists are amongst the most interesting out there) and his books are really great too. As others have said: he's earned it.

ruddiger posted:

Anyone ever watch Boris Karloff's Thriller? He introduced the episodes Rod Serling-style.

It's a great series full of interesting guest stars. The Hollow Watcher is great and has Warren Oates (which instantly makes anything better). There's a cool episode with Leslie Nielsen too if I remember correctly.

Also when I form a black metal band we're going to be called The Hollow Watcher.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 29, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

where do i start with the books of john waters

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

where do i start with the books of john waters

If you want to read him talking a lot about his own film work, probably Shock Value. Personally I thought Role Models was his most enjoyable book, because he's one of those authentic "not just an artist but also a fan" people. I think he has a new book coming soon too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InfiniteZero posted:

This isn't really true. He's actually achieved the level of fame where his claim to fame is just being himself. He's one of those people who can just book a tour that's called "An Evening With ..." and it will sell out. There's nothing wrong with this.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that when you get to the point of being famous for being famous (which of course is right up Waters' alley), you become a parody of yourself.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have an article on best episodes from Thiller or some such?

One unfortunate problem with hour long shows from the early 60s was that the scripts were often super padded and meandering- a problem that plagues the Outer Limits from start to finish with few exceptions

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

For some reason I’ve always felt that the ideal late-career move for John Waters was for him to host The Price is Right.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Liberal Idiot posted:

For some reason I’ve always felt that the ideal late-career move for John Waters was for him to host The Price is Right.

Weird way to spell Double Dare

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

Weird way to spell Ruckus

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Shudder, give John Waters a show like Last Drive-In but for exploitation films.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i would loving devour a John Waters hosted trash show

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Liberal Idiot posted:

His late-career move is making cameos in kids films.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Had the pleasure of re-watching Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy over two nights in a row. They're two of my top ten films and I absolutely can not wait for Panos Cosmatos' next film - although I'm sure a lengthy years-long wait will be in order. :(

Was fun spotting the parallel shots in each film, such as the shot of the manic pro/antagonists driving and turning to regard their respective mental passengers. Or of course that scene in BtBR echoed in a similar head-crushing scene in Mandy. What a genius couple of films. I'm astounded by their cinematography and atmosphere and can't stop thinking about them (or listening to their soundtracks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

His late-career move is making cameos in kids films.

i would expect nothing less from the man who made divine the star of his movie about licking bannisters