Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also I liked the look of Bad Apple Wars but every review I've read says that it's badly written, is there anything good in that "teen edgy" aesthetic (for lack of a better term) that I generally dig

Do you specifically want otome games, or just any kind of VN that's heavy on the chuuni stuff? Because if it's the latter, that expands your options considerably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Thuryl posted:

Do you specifically want otome games, or just any kind of VN that's heavy on the chuuni stuff? Because if it's the latter, that expands your options considerably.

Pretty much the latter would be fine

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also I liked the look of Bad Apple Wars but every review I've read says that it's badly written, is there anything good in that "teen edgy" aesthetic (for lack of a better term) that I generally dig

It's extremely bland and there are no choices for a VN. I would rank it 2nd worst otome I've played ever. MC is basically depression personified and everyone is vaguely sad.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Anyone else on the latest official firmware? I can't seem to watch youtube videos through the browser app anymore.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mithaldu posted:

It runs ok, but if you haven't played it yet, try it on steam first with refund. It's definitely a "not for everyone" type of game.
Looks like PC might be a good route to go for this one anyhow, as it supports custom music and seems to lend itself well to keyboard controls. Thanks!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'm thinking about finally picking up one of these since the system is getting sunset and I've always wanted one for FFT/Tactics Ogre/Front Mission/PSX stuff and so on, anything I should keep an eye out for when looking for a used Slim aside from obvious screen damage and so on?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

C.M. Kruger posted:

I'm thinking about finally picking up one of these since the system is getting sunset and I've always wanted one for FFT/Tactics Ogre/Front Mission/PSX stuff and so on, anything I should keep an eye out for when looking for a used Slim aside from obvious screen damage and so on?

You might want to see if you like the fat Vita better, it does have a somewhat better display and some people prefer the form factor.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

C.M. Kruger posted:

You need a memory card (unless you're going to hack it).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You might want to see if you like the fat Vita better, it does have a somewhat better display and some people prefer the form factor.

Downside is proprietary cable; slim is micro-B. That alone offsets much of the appeal unless you're such a discriminating visual connoisseur that the screen on the slim assrapes your eyeballs in the face. But you're probably not one of those.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

If you plan on hacking it soon, get one with firmware 3.68 or lower, preferably 3.65 or lower if possible. 3.69+ will be hackable someday, we just don't know exactly when.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I got a used Slim with some Gamestop gift cards from Christmas, and while you can find online comparisons that get into hyperbolic gnashing of teeth over how much the Slim's screen looks like rotten fruit from a lovely tree, I feel like mine is perfectly fine. I mostly use it for Stardew Valley and remote play and the only screen problem I have is that sometimes during remote play, the in-game text can be juuust a little too small, but even that varies by the game.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

They're both fine, people are really defensive over their 2k screens for some reason :)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RadicalR posted:

You need a memory card (unless you're going to hack it).

If it's a fat vita you need a memory card TO hack it, worth bearing in mind.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never seen a slim but the OLED screen is fairly beautiful.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Either Vita is fine.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I bought a Japanese aqua blue one new off Amazon last month for like $150. It came in with 3.6.8. I went to three GameStop’s and all three had just a couple vitas each and were all scratched to hell. And they wanted $129 for them.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

History Comes Inside! posted:

If it's a fat vita you need a memory card TO hack it, worth bearing in mind.

The nice thing is that once you have the 1k hacked you can use the 1GB onboard memory to store your config files and stuff. That way you have a safety net if you want to swap your SD2Vita card.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Persona 4G question: I heard that there is a true ending. If I just play through as normal will I see it or does it require something outside the norm? Assume that I will do every sidequest as they pop up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Waltzing Along posted:

Persona 4G question: I heard that there is a true ending. If I just play through as normal will I see it or does it require something outside the norm? Assume that I will do every sidequest as they pop up.
It's not super complicated but there are some things you have to do; without getting into spoilers, there will be a part where poo poo is getting really heavy at the end of the game and you're presented with a series of questions that you have to answer right. You could just look up the answers (most do), but really it should be obvious that you did it wrong depending on what happens afterwards and you can just reload your past save to try again. There shouldn't be a way to fail and save over it I don't think.

Finally there is a part much later, when it feels like everything is wrapped up, where you will be prompted to either end the game or go back to Junes one last time, and you gotta go get your rear end back to Junes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

There are 2 technically, "true" ending and "golden" ending which also leads to true ending so you can do them both in the same run.

For the "golden" ending you need to max the Aeon social link before Christmas and do the bonus dungeon that unlocks.

For "true" the only non-spoilery tip really is at the end don't go home, go to the Junes food court instead.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

near the end of the game there's like an hour long cutscene with lots of dramatic poo poo happening and if you gently caress up even one of the dialogue choices (very easy to do), then you get a bad ending. answer everything perfectly to progress onward to the good ending.

in the middle of the good ending the game will ask if you're ready to take off like 50 times and you have to answer 'no' each and every time in order to get the true ending.

it's really stupid

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks guys. I'll keep my eye out for Aeon and then look up the answers when I get there. I'm not trying to plat the game, I just don't want to have to play it again to get the right ending.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth has been removed from the EU PSN as well.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/pch2000za11.html

The two remaining colors of PS Vita in Japan(Black and Blue) are now showing soon to be discontinued. Other colors such as White and Silver were removed in the past month and Orange didn't make it into December. Memory cards directly from Sony are also back ordered.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It's truly the end of times. RIP my VN machine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

https://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/pch2000za11.html

The two remaining colors of PS Vita in Japan(Black and Blue) are now showing soon to be discontinued. Other colors such as White and Silver were removed in the past month and Orange didn't make it into December. Memory cards directly from Sony are also back ordered.

F

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kicking myself for not getting one for $160 a few months back. No ebay coupons in a while and the exchange rate is dropping.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I found two decently priced 16gb cards on Ebay. It's probably a good time to get stuff tonight before the blogs start talking about it this week.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm of two minds: I currently have a Vita, but a little while ago it fell off my bed and developed a small crack in the screen, so I'm quite tempted to get another on the cheap and keep the cracked one as my backup.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

You can get a replacement OLED screen for cheap on ebay, if you don't mind being hands-on with repairments

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have a 3.6.8 Vita that I installed the software onto. Now normally the thing has a standby time of a beast, but it has been a couple weeks since I messed with it. I turned it on and it went right back to the game I was playing, however when I exited out, now none of my apps or software I've downloaded will launch. It just goes to the splash screen and sits there. I've tried rerunning the hack software but even that does it. I remember reading a way to fix it but I can't quite remember.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Boot into recovery and rebuild database

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

when is the Vita 2 getting announced

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
playstation mort, mort means death because buying this console means your social life is over if you ever want to finish all these budget srpgs

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
If it gets Persona 5 Unobtainium then I'll buy it just for that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Vita down grader is out. Requires 3.68 or older and you can only go as far back as your units original shipping firmware.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I tried hacking but it didn’t really take. Would I be able to downgrade the OS then try again with a better firmware? What would be good to download to? My Vita is 6ish years old so I could go low.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

hadji murad posted:

I tried hacking but it didn’t really take. Would I be able to downgrade the OS then try again with a better firmware? What would be good to download to? My Vita is 6ish years old so I could go low.

If you're not already on 3.69 or 3.70 then yes you can downgrade, if not then no you have to wait for thefl0w to release the hack for those firmwares first. He has it, he's just sitting on it to try and stop Sony patching it out again before Vita is forever dead.

3.60 is the easiest to mod because it doesn't need an original memory card to do the initial setup for hacks, but 3.65 works fine too (and you only need the memory card to apply the hack, you're then free to ditch it and switch to whatever microsd solution you want to use if that's your bag), the point of these two firmwares over any other is Enso which is a coldboot hack so it's "permanent" and doesn't need you to do any special steps every time you turn the console on and off.

There's an embarrassing community slapfight over which is the best of those two and the answer is "whichever one you want to use because it really doesn't matter" for 99.99999% of users. The ref00d plugin to play games needing higher firmware works fine on both with some completely insignificant load time differences.

3.60 supports a plugin that lets you use modded games but that's pretty much limited to people making uncensored mods for titty games and a couple of translations being done by ripping scripts from the pc version of a couple of VN's.

Unless any of that appeals to you then the only real measurable difference you could possibly care about is the vita sdk that devs are using is targeting 3.60 and then they need to patch their apps for 3.65 (or higher, since h-encore is also a thing on 3.67 and 3.68 for people who don't feel like they need Enso) but so far virtually everything that's been put out has had said patches applied and there are even a couple that have ONLY been updated to work for the higher FW.

You could just use h-encore instead of downgrading if you're on 3.67/68 but that doesn't let you use certain plugins that need to be run at boot, and means you have to run the hack every time you restart the console.

-----

Personally I rolled back from 3.68+h-encore to 3.65 with Enso and ref00d, just because in a couple of years when I've forgotten all about my vita and then I find it again and decide to fire it up I won't have to try and remember which app it was I needed to run to make things work again.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 15, 2019

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PSA if you use ref00d you also need to turn on version spoofing in Henkaku settings and set it to 3.68 or higher otherwise it still tries to tell you to update when you try and launch a game that needs it :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Link to the proper downgrader to keep people from getting lost in the woods trying to find the right thing:

https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/modoru

https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/modoru/releases

And the dude's twitter if you wanna watch for updates:

https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/1095783328295370752

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 15, 2019