Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The Doomhammer posted:

I feel Juna gets the worst of it, feels wrong to see her fawning over Rean the way she does in 4, and Rean seems far too receptive to the advances of his female students for my comfort (they don't seem to do anything stupid with Altina, at least.)

On the whole, many of the female bonds are a lot more aggressively romantic in ways that makes it harder to ignore than ever that Rean is a harem anime protagonist (i.e. Laura making out with him in a cave and telling him that he knows Alisa and Emma have feelings for him, but she also has feelings for him etc. that's like their first event by the way)It just all had me rolling my eyes a bit.

Also, Towa and Rean's relationship goes from extremely platonic to romantic and that's just sacrilege I say!

I'll also just mention for accuracy's sake that I don't speak Japanese so there's a chance I misread the context on certain things that happen in bonding events.

Um, okay then, looks like if CS 4 ever comes out in a decent condition on PC, I won't need to worry about a max bonding points save because that's just awful. I might even need to sometimes leave bonding points on the table rather than use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
If it makes you feel better the event skip/turbo function is good! Not quite as good as the CS1/2 PC versions but nice and speedy.

I described Sen 4 as a bit of a curate's egg when I finished it; I think most of the badness can be traced back to Rean as a character. It's gotten to the point where I'm putting off buying the newly voiced Switch version of Dragon Quest XI because Koki Uchiyama is going to play Camus.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
I just hope Calvard/Whatever arc take more leaves from Crossbell and Liberl's books, rather than Flavor of Love: Rean Edition.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I think someone in here basically said that CS3 winds up the Crossbell arcs, so the characters from that have a big part in CS3?

They really gotta bring out Crossbell soon.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Nope, and the way they do conclude it in Sen 4 is one of the big complaints you'll see in user reviews.

One of the main characters from Zero/Ao does have a big part in 3 and 4 though, and you do see the others from time to time.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
New Zero geofront blog post. https://geofront.esterior.net/2019/01/28/trails-from-zero-to-eighty/

It's at 80% done now with a whole bunch of new features in it including a turbo mode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEf6qtu8L2k

and a new save menu with autosaves! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xy_y8hGydo

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 28, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Little Abigail posted:

New Zero geofront blog post. https://geofront.esterior.net/2019/01/28/trails-from-zero-to-eighty/

It's at 80% done now with a whole bunch of new features in it including a turbo mode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEf6qtu8L2k

It's so pretty!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Okay this is just extremely great now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Little Abigail posted:

I AM EXTREMELY HYPED

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cops are bad but I really wanna play as this cop.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Don't blame fantasy cops for the state of the police wherever you live.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lloyd is a bracer basically, literally

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It was a joke! I've been looking forward to playing as Lloyd since CS2, though. Tonfas don't get enough love in video games.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Little Abigail posted:

80% sounds good, but it took like 6 months to get there from 70% so I guess I'll be playing this in 2020

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
That's not necessarily how rough estimates work. People trying to calculate release dates like this is also why fangame creators really hate giving out percentages.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've finally had some time to start cold steel II, and I've spent the last few hours flat-out stuck on a sidequest- early on when you visit the castle place to get Laura and Emma, the bracer's guild gives you a sidequest to murder a giant ape thing named gordi schnarr g who, as far as I can tell, was designed specifically to make me want to stop playing. I grinded my entire part up to level 75, everyone has attack/evade/move/EP/cast quartzes as appropriate, and my gear is up to date, but he can heal 30% of his HP every turn, buff all of his stats by 50%, and do a knockout + aoe combo that can 1-shot my entire party. Is there an intended strategy that I'm missing? If I give Laura the taurus master quartz, use the opening round to buff the party's attack, then alpha strike with four S Breaks right before he buffs his defense I can get him down to 15% health, but then he just heals/buffs/murders everyone before I get a chance to do anything else.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I recall he was kinda tricky, but I was also running at least one level of evasion tank Fie or Resounding Beat Elliot at that point. I don't think you get Domination at that point, so I'm pretty sure I just grinded it down until I could safely explode it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay, that shouldn't be too bad... grinding 71-75 was enough to take my alpha strikes from doing 60% of his health to around 80-85%, so I'll just spend a few hours in the aqua temple later- I'm glad to hear there wasn't something blindingly obvious I was missing, because holy crap that fight.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I won by debuffing him, and even that took a few tries. Give Fie speed breaker, give Laura defense breaker; spam their debuffs and when he’s low, do an S-break alpha strike

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Debuffing his speed/strength works, spamming delay sometimes works and if you're having trouble with his knock-out move, try to predict when he starts using it and spread out. (the knockout craft ignores evade and it's AOE, meaning that if there's one dodge tank right next to him and the rest of the group closely grouped in the back, he'll often walk right past the dodge tank in order to get as much mileage out of his attack as possible) Equip anti-faint accessories. Don't spam S-crafts unless you're sure you can finish him off due to the high cooldown of those moves.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was watching this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbC1fIcODK4 (it's a good video, although there's a good chance you already know what it's going to say if you're reading this thread) and it reminded me of the existence of xanadu next and the fact that it's on steam. That game is good, right? By all accounts it looks like something i should be really into, and i almost bought it on the spot while looking at it earlier, but i decided to make sure there's no catch.

Like, does it have any terribly old-fashioned design choices hiding in it that make playing it really inconvenient or something? I know it's an old school-style dungeon crawler but i don't want it to be too old school, i can only stomach so much.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Things I remember about Xanadu Next that I think other people may dislike:
1) Early on, going back for keys all the time is kinda annoying
2) The mouse control felt a little weird.
I don't recall anything too player hostile, though it has been a while.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh I hadn't even thought about debuffs, once I get to the point where he's applied his buffs I usually figure I'm out of luck... is there something specific that triggers the healbuff move to begin with? Like, can I carefully carve him down to 80% without setting it off? Or does he just cast it whenever he's getting low or his buffs are about to wear off?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'd recommend spamming your Delay moves, specifically Arc Slash and Bullet Cyclone.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh I hadn't even thought about debuffs, once I get to the point where he's applied his buffs I usually figure I'm out of luck... is there something specific that triggers the healbuff move to begin with? Like, can I carefully carve him down to 80% without setting it off? Or does he just cast it whenever he's getting low or his buffs are about to wear off?

I'm not sure if something sets it off specifically, but most likely it's either reaching a certain HP threshold or a certain number of turns pass.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Xanadu Next is good

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Erpy posted:

I'm not sure if something sets it off specifically, but most likely it's either reaching a certain HP threshold or a certain number of turns pass.

I'm pretty sure it's a HP threshold, given he really only seems to do it when he's about to die.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'ma give it another try... this is not ape-specific, but in CS2 is there generally a good link partner for Rean? Like 90% of my party's heavy lifting is done by evasion tank Fie and Murder Everything Laura- putting the tauros quartz on laura turns her into a literal murder machine, and if she's linked to fie the constant crit assists make up for her lowered base speed.

Rean gets the force quartz, I think, the one that makes him gain CP faster, and just delays or S Breaks every turn, but I'm kinda stuck on what the fourth slot should be; I've just been popping in Emma by default so I'm not too physical-heavy, and occasionally switching her out whenever someone whose character I like joins the party.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Omi no Kami posted:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'ma give it another try... this is not ape-specific, but in CS2 is there generally a good link partner for Rean? Like 90% of my party's heavy lifting is done by evasion tank Fie and Murder Everything Laura- putting the tauros quartz on laura turns her into a literal murder machine, and if she's linked to fie the constant crit assists make up for her lowered base speed.

Rean gets the force quartz, I think, the one that makes him gain CP faster, and just delays or S Breaks every turn, but I'm kinda stuck on what the fourth slot should be; I've just been popping in Emma by default so I'm not too physical-heavy, and occasionally switching her out whenever someone whose character I like joins the party.

Honestly, Fie's probably your best partner for him. You're going to get an ability that chews through Rean's CP in a few plot beats, and linking him up to Fie when she's in the thick of it as an evasion tank means that Rean's going to be doing a lot of follow-up link attacks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Just link him with Laura on his turns and swap back to Laura/Fie on their turn.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Honestly, Fie's probably your best partner for him. You're going to get an ability that chews through Rean's CP in a few plot beats, and linking him up to Fie when she's in the thick of it as an evasion tank means that Rean's going to be doing a lot of follow-up link attacks.

Huh... I actually had him linked to Fie for most of 1 and 2, but I switched it up because I figured that having two super-fast physical attackers linked up was kind of a waste of assists. I am glad I'm gonna get a use for his CP though, because Rean's regeneration feels ridiculous- I'm fairly sure I couldn't actually spend every turn spamming that 30CP sword skill that kills and delay everything onscreen, but it's sure felt that way for a while.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh... I actually had him linked to Fie for most of 1 and 2, but I switched it up because I figured that having two super-fast physical attackers linked up was kind of a waste of assists. I am glad I'm gonna get a use for his CP though, because Rean's regeneration feels ridiculous- I'm fairly sure I couldn't actually spend every turn spamming that 30CP sword skill that kills and delay everything onscreen, but it's sure felt that way for a while.

This ability costs 100 CP to activate and jacks up the CP costs and power of Rean's crafts for three turns. Combined with a fully leveled Force master quartz and the right accessories, it is nearly self sustaining under the right circumstances.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm fairly sure I couldn't actually spend every turn spamming that 30CP sword skill that kills and delay everything onscreen, but it's sure felt that way for a while.

You absolutely can. I spent most of CS2 with Rean only ever using Arc Slash.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Things I remember about Xanadu Next that I think other people may dislike:
1) Early on, going back for keys all the time is kinda annoying
2) The mouse control felt a little weird.
I don't recall anything too player hostile, though it has been a while.
This doesn't sounds bad at all. In fact, it's sounding better by the minute! I can already feel myself doing the thing I like to do which is leaving my currently played games 90% completed and moving on to this one (which i will also leave unfinished when another fancy strikes me two weeks later)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also, block puzzles.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I am immune to block puzzles.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

In ToCS2, is it possible to beat McBurn the first time he appears? He nuked my entire party the instant I got rid of duvalie, and it's really unclear whether that was scripted, or yet another stupidly overpowered boss who needs to be cheesed with very specific exploits.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Omi no Kami posted:

In ToCS2, is it possible to beat McBurn the first time he appears? He nuked my entire party the instant I got rid of duvalie, and it's really unclear whether that was scripted, or yet another stupidly overpowered boss who needs to be cheesed with very specific exploits.

It's scripted so that he goes nuts when you beat Duvalie. You... might be able to nuke him down? Maybe? On, like, NG+? You're very clearly not intended to.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Supremezero posted:

It's scripted so that he goes nuts when you beat Duvalie. You... might be able to nuke him down? Maybe? On, like, NG+? You're very clearly not intended to.

Hmkay, thanks! The jarring difficulty spikes are probably one of the only things that bugs me with these games... like, 95% of 2 and all but like 3 battles in 1 were super-duper doable, but like every 3 chapters it just randomly hurls something at you that feels like total BS unless you've already stumbled upon one of the super-cheesey character builds that snaps the combat difficulty in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Supremezero posted:

You still can't. "Unwinnable" battles in Cold Steel 1 and 2 always end in one of two ways. Either the battle simply fades out and it cuts to a cutscene (the brief fight against C in Chapter 4 of CS1 and the first battle against Leo and Xeno as well as the battle against Bleublanc and Duvalie on the Pantagruel) or the boss simply breaks out their strongest move and the delay on their actions gets reduced to 0, allowing them to spam it over and over until your Angel Master Quartz and Proxy/Emergency Puppets are exhausted and you stop getting up. (the first fight against Sara and the battle against Victor in CS1 and the fight against McBurn, Rufus and Intermission Ordine in CS2)

In both cases, no matter how hard you hit, the boss HP gets locked to 1 and they stop taking damage of any kind, so it's impossible to actually win.