Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah that sounds awful, I've never seen a setup like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My rear end rules and I love getting rare angles of it. How often do you even get to check out your own rear end?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
You are naked, bleary, slightly hungover, very tired. Your ear is kinda hosed up from the plane - it popped, but only kinda, and now it alternates between dull bass noises and hissing. But, by golly, you're in the hotel, and you're going to enjoy this shower!

You turn it on. It emits a feeble dribble of lukewarm water. You wait, but it just continues to dribble.

There's a shower unit on the wall.. It has 45 dials, 8 buttons and a hand crank. Invisible to the naked eye, and placed totally at random, are a tiny blue dot, a tiny red dot and a tiny very red dot.

You turn a dial. A pipe starts to shake with a rhythmic CHANG CHANG CHANG CHANG CHANG CHANG CHANG. The water remains unchanged.

You press a button. A vent near the shower kicks into life, sprays out a couple of spiders, and shoots a jet of cold air up your tuckus.

Two doors down, a Chinese man is annoyed that you keep shouting for him.

You try another button. The water stops, then starts shooting into your groin from a previously-unnoticed sprinkler system.

You spin a dial. The water is now hotter than the surface of the Sun. Lobster pink, and making monkey noises, you dive out of the way and stand, simultaneously burnt and freezing. Thick steam obscures all vents, your glasses are now a dim suggestion in the middle of a ball of condensation. You reach in, contorting yourself furiously to avoid the molten jet, and spin the [wrong] dial. The hot jet of water is now ice cold, inexplicably aimed directly at your genitals, and you turn a rather pleasing shade of blue. You put the dial in the middle, and the water alternates between freezing and molten.

Dial #8 increases the water pressure to tooth-loosening levels. Grimacing, your skin dimpled in a good two inches, you twist -something- on the shower head, and now it shoots a fire brigade style jet of rusty water, backwards, onto the shelf, knocking your shaving kit to the floor and staining your toothbrush.

In desperation, you push every button and twist every dial, and grit your teeth and endure several contradictory unpleasant sensations simultaneously. You dry off inadequately with your condensation soaked towel, and shuffle back into the room. Your girlfriend, cheery and crisp, goes "oh finally" and goes in to enjoy a perfectly enjoyable 15 minute shower at the perfect temperature, pressure and height. While this happens, Mr. Chang informs you that he does not appreciate having his time wasted.

You are me. Congratulations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Sir, this is a waste treatment plant.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

In Airbnb's or cheap hotels, when the shower is surrounded by mirrors for some reason. Who the hell wants to be confronted by their own naked rear end at 6 in the morning?

Me. I love when there's a mirror across from the shower so I can see myself. It's only annoying when it's inexplicably low, like the one at my sister's new place, so you can see you entire body but not your face.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Peeve: The concept of winter.

Snow sucks. Ice sucks. Slush sucks. Cold sucks. The wind somehow seems to blow from every direction at once whenever you're trying to clear snow off something. Later this week we're going to have a day where goddamn high temp is -14F.

If I didn't have to go outside for work and food, I'd probably just hibernate for three months and avoid all that bullshit.

I feel really sorry for you. Meanwhile this week I'll have to endure 40 C (or 105 F) here where I live and work.

For the love of god please let's swap climates.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i live in an area that hits both 40 C and -45 C wind chills and from that i've learned that weather just blows rear end 100% of the time no matter what

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Holy poo poo do you live in fuckin Yakutsk?

Or maybe in the middle of Canada, pretty possible too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is weird but

There's this one person I talk to where no matter how much time goes by quietly, just doing or watching something mutually...

The second I go to say something to them they cough or sneeze and obliterate the first few words.

It's the worst because it's not their fault (I guess?) but it's extremely jarring, completely fucks with the extemporaneous, makes you forget what you were about to say half the time, and makes you think "seriously? Again?"

I just don't understand, it's like their aural nerve detours through their sinus cavities before it reaches the brain or something. Normal conversation is fine, but it's those long moments of quiet followed by trying to say something.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
startled?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

YouTube won't stop changing audio volume. It'll be fine for a few videos in a row, then all of a sudden I get my eardrums blown. It's not just completely forgetting its settings and resetting to a default because it's a slightly different volume level every time it does it, but what it picks is always loud as poo poo. I can't just lower the volume system wide because YouTube is somehow three times louder than anything else that ever plays audio.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
When you're walking down a narrow road without streetlights or sidewalks in the dark, wear something besides a loving ninja outfit.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Netflix keeps forgetting to play the next episode. I'll go into the settings and hit save without changing anything and then it will be fine for a little while, until it forgets again and I have to watch the preview for You for the millionth time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Speaking of netflix, what's the deal with the "watch that again" feature i've seen in a couple newer movies, where it will pop up after a scene they think you think is good and rewind you to the beginning of it? The worst was when it popped up after I fast forwarded through an overly-long karaoke scene. No, I was sure I didn't want to watch it the first time, thank you.

Do people really watch movies like that, see a good scene and say "I need to see that again immediately" and rewind it? Who is using this feature? I mean I guess if you got up to go to the bathroom or whatever and missed it I could see using it, but that's what they make a pause button for.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

artsy fartsy posted:

Netflix keeps forgetting to play the next episode. I'll go into the settings and hit save without changing anything and then it will be fine for a little while, until it forgets again and I have to watch the preview for You for the millionth time.

This is happening to me too, and it only started recently. Dunno if there was an update or something but it sucks.

Also, peeve: loving dog beaters. Yes, your dog will be submissive and docile if you hurt it. No, this isn’t the “natural” state of affairs in canine hierarchy. gently caress you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
People who don't understand how to be a good dog owner in general.

No, you shouldn't be terrifying your dog into submission. The "alpha" thing is bullshit. Cesar Milan is bullshit.

No, you shouldn't be leaving your dog outside most of the day because you don't give enough of a poo poo to interact with it. Why do you even have a dog?

No, it's not "mean" to train it at all. It's cruel not to train your dog at all, because dogs appreciate having structure in their lives and interacting with their owners. And it's not loving cute when your dog is constantly begging for food, jumping on people, being destructive, etc.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

95% of the people here buy a dog and then never interact with it again beyond leaving out a bowl of food for it sometimes while it wanders around as it pleases, tearing poo poo up and attacking people. Then they acted shocked and confused when it gets returned to their house with a bullet in it.

What's the point of having dog licenses if they aren't going to be denied to people that through four new a dogs a year?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
People who drop someone off at the grocery store, then just park and wait in front of the doors with their hazards on. There's a whole god drat lot full of spots right next to you! Use one of them and then go pull up to pick the person up when they come out.

Also, you should only ever be dropping off people or loading up in front of the doors if you or the person you're dropping off has a disability.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Master Twig posted:

People who drop someone off at the grocery store, then just park and wait in front of the doors with their hazards on. There's a whole god drat lot full of spots right next to you! Use one of them and then go pull up to pick the person up when they come out.

Also, you should only ever be dropping off people or loading up in front of the doors if you or the person you're dropping off has a disability.

Some fucker got out of their car and left it with flashers on in front of Wegmans while she used the Coinstar and Redbox. Get the gently caress out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

95% of the people here buy a dog and then never interact with it again beyond leaving out a bowl of food for it sometimes while it wanders around as it pleases, tearing poo poo up and attacking people. Then they acted shocked and confused when it gets returned to their house with a bullet in it.

What's the point of having dog licenses if they aren't going to be denied to people that through four new a dogs a year?

Man’s best friend!

People treat living animals like status symbols and have no real idea how to care for them. Shove some food at the stray puppy. Adopt your fourth cat bc it has mittens. Buy a burmese python and then dump it bc snek big

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Man’s best friend!

People treat living animals like status symbols and have no real idea how to care for them. Shove some food at the stray puppy. Adopt your fourth cat bc it has mittens. Buy a burmese python and then dump it bc snek big

A perfect example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgZDUFvk4Y
"Oh we've had a lot of animals before, cats, dogs, lizards, so we know how to care for animals. They can live for 25-30 years and we're ready for that kind of commitment."

Translation: "We had a bunch of more domestic pets, but they were too boring/didn't give us enough to brag about on social media.
However we'll keep these around until they stop scoring us points, which should be a bit longer.But we'll probably still chuck them at a wildlife centre in like a year, tops."

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Speaking of netflix, what's the deal with the "watch that again" feature i've seen in a couple newer movies, where it will pop up after a scene they think you think is good and rewind you to the beginning of it? The worst was when it popped up after I fast forwarded through an overly-long karaoke scene. No, I was sure I didn't want to watch it the first time, thank you.
Holy poo poo, what?! I haven't come across this yet--probably because I haven't been watching newer stuff/movies on Netflix lately--but this is absolutely ridiculous. Goddamn.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hirayuki posted:

Holy poo poo, what?! I haven't come across this yet--probably because I haven't been watching newer stuff/movies on Netflix lately--but this is absolutely ridiculous. Goddamn.

I've only seen it once so far. It was during the milquetoast original "The Last Laugh." It was an aggressively OK movie, and I really didn't have any desire to immediately revisit any of the actual jokes, let alone watch the movie again. :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I've only seen it once so far. It was during the milquetoast original "The Last Laugh." It was an aggressively OK movie, and I really didn't have any desire to immediately revisit any of the actual jokes, let alone watch the movie again. :shrug:

That's the first one I saw it on. Aggressively OK is a pretty good descriptor of it. It angered me because it's just "hey, these famous actors are old as poo poo now, here's a movie about them being old and not wanting to die". It's hard to feel many feelings about the characters dying because, well, they're really old, that's what they do. Also one is Chevy Chase.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Sat down briefly at an unused office cubicle at the school where I work. Taped to the abandoned monitor is the root name/password. Which is the same for every single computer in the building.

If a student got that password and had any idea what to do with it, it'd be a loving disaster.

Why does no one take security seriously?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sat down briefly at an unused office cubicle at the school where I work. Taped to the abandoned monitor is the root name/password. Which is the same for every single computer in the building.

If a student got that password and had any idea what to do with it, it'd be a loving disaster.

Why does no one take security seriously?

Because the majority of people just view computers as a magic box.
Even the ones that have had accounts hijacked or whatever will usually know so little about PCs that they just see it as magical cyberwizards whisking away their account.
As opposed to them using a common password, or one datamined from a database breach, etc.

It's just so abstract for them, and they don't want to spend any more time or resources than they need understanding it.
And then like a case in norway recently; the moment a student does reveal that 'holy poo poo the IT security here sucks and people could easily misuse it', the school will hunker down on trying to punish the people that expose their lax security.
Instead of immediately trying to fix it.

Hopefully in the future biometrics + multi-factor authentications can zero out a lot of these issues.
Not having to trust an old with a password+login but instead something they can just have on their keychain + a pin/fingerprint scan will probably solve a lot of these 'problem between keyboard and chair' security issues.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sometimes I wish I could write my login info down...i have to remember my username, a 16 character password that includes special characters and can't have more than 2 repeating characters in a row, and an 8 digit pin. It's a pain in the rear end.

If I left it on my desk though i'd fully deserve to be fired and denied any form of clearance ever in my life.

job specific peeve: I got hired a few weeks before the shutdown and had all my paperwork filled out before i was hired. I still haven't received my work laptop. How can you hire someone without having all their stuff ready, and more importantly, why would you want to? I am wasting their money every day I don't have a computer. I mean, I don't mind because I've gotten like 2 months of pay for doing basically nothing, but I feel like a part of the government waste that people including me hate so much. Don't start paying people until they can work.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Sometimes I wish I could write my login info down...i have to remember my username, a 16 character password that includes special characters and can't have more than 2 repeating characters in a row, and an 8 digit pin. It's a pain in the rear end.

If I left it on my desk though i'd fully deserve to be fired and denied any form of clearance ever in my life.

job specific peeve: I got hired a few weeks before the shutdown and had all my paperwork filled out before i was hired. I still haven't received my work laptop. How can you hire someone without having all their stuff ready, and more importantly, why would you want to? I am wasting their money every day I don't have a computer. I mean, I don't mind because I've gotten like 2 months of pay for doing basically nothing, but I feel like a part of the government waste that people including me hate so much. Don't start paying people until they can work.

Where do you work in government? Our folks sometimes take way too long to get people their laptop...not sure why it takes so long.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Slippery posted:

Where do you work in government? Our folks sometimes take way too long to get people their laptop...not sure why it takes so long.

The only thing I can imagine is that maybe it's hard to get the ones with the cac card reader? I don't know, it seems like they should have a warehouse of these things ready. Working with the government I swear they artificially delay things just to make them look busier than they are. I'm a contractor though so I guess I'm at the very bottom of the totem pole in terms of their IT people helping me.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

The only thing I can imagine is that maybe it's hard to get the ones with the cac card reader? I don't know, it seems like they should have a warehouse of these things ready. Working with the government I swear they artificially delay things just to make them look busier than they are. I'm a contractor though so I guess I'm at the very bottom of the totem pole in terms of their IT people helping me.

Well all the laptops should have cac readers I'd hope, if only be cause it's easier than having two kinds. Our guys seem to move at about the same speed for govt or contractor laptops. Mine only took a few days but my predecessor set everything up so it was ready when I showed up

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Slippery posted:

Well all the laptops should have cac readers I'd hope, if only be cause it's easier than having two kinds. Our guys seem to move at about the same speed for govt or contractor laptops. Mine only took a few days but my predecessor set everything up so it was ready when I showed up

i'm at just about 2 months without one. A fellow contractor said he had to wait almost a year for his. It seems absurd, but :shrug: it's the government, i guess?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

speaking of work: people who intentionally work a late schedule and get mad at the people who come in early and leave early. I like to leave home at sunrise and get home before sunset. Driving in the dark blows especially on a snow day like today. Just because you like to waltz in just before lunch and stay until a normal person's time to go to sleep doesn't mean I should have to, unless you're my boss, which you're not.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

speaking of work: people who intentionally work a late schedule and get mad at the people who come in early and leave early. I like to leave home at sunrise and get home before sunset. Driving in the dark blows especially on a snow day like today. Just because you like to waltz in just before lunch and stay until a normal person's time to go to sleep doesn't mean I should have to, unless you're my boss, which you're not.

Well my buddies in DC said they get off early today cause of weather so that's nice!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Private companies can take forever for you to get you your important work stuff too.

A coworker had to wait a month to get his stuff stuff started because she didn't get a Windows 10 license for some reason. We work for Microsoft

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

I strongly suspect that most people who "come in late and stay late" really just come in late and leave 20 minutes after the boss does.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I have a private sector job and I went full time this past April after working as a contractor for years, and they still haven't gotten me a work laptop (I am actually getting one soon). All the actual new employees received one within a week or two. I'm about to enter day two of working from home due to antarctic temperatures and I'm using my 9-year-old Macbook that freezes up every 15 minutes or so and can't do a few basic functions of my job.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I've never been as miserable to have a lovely bartender job that requires remembering every single thing that can ruin a life or destroy a whole business. You guys get to have an existential job crisis because your free computer isn't on time and passwords are hard and I'm getting screamed at because Clancy tried to piss on his uber driver after too much whiskey. Twice this week.

Jesus I want to be an adult so bad.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

SubNat posted:

And then like a case in norway recently; the moment a student does reveal that 'holy poo poo the IT security here sucks and people could easily misuse it', the school will hunker down on trying to punish the people that expose their lax security.
Instead of immediately trying to fix it.

This actually happened to a friend of my son's in high school. He "hacked" into the school mainframe because they had such a lame password. Didn't mess with anything, just accessed the mainframe.

They ended up banning him from using any computers in the school for the rest of the year.

He's now a DBA for an auto manufacturer. With a GED.

quote:

Hopefully in the future biometrics + multi-factor authentications can zero out a lot of these issues.
Not having to trust an old with a password+login but instead something they can just have on their keychain + a pin/fingerprint scan will probably solve a lot of these 'problem between keyboard and chair' security issues.

I had this at one company I worked at and I loved it. No having to have six different passwords that couldn't be words, had to have 47 characters, 2.5 uppercase, only these 3 special characters, and couldn't be one of your last 5,000 passwords. Yeah, it's stupid to write down your password, but with restrictions like these, I can understand it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I work for a government contractor and when I was hired on it took 4 weeks for me to get my computer and another 2 before I had any access. I basically got paid for playing solitaire on my phone for 8 hours.

Another job I had in the private sector I had to wait 5 days before I got my laptop. They had hired me two weeks before and knew what day I was starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I call this Passive Agressive work hours. They say "flexible schedule" but treat anybody who comes in early/leaves early as not really part of the group.