Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This game should let you build teleporters. There, I said it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Not a Children posted:

This game should let you build teleporters. There, I said it

I think they teased it for the Below Zero sidequel.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
How well does this run on lower end PCs?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The graphics aren’t too much but it’s a resource hog, especially with a big base.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

the biggest issues I had were the teleporters taking like 5 minutes to load. everything else went smoothly but for whatever reason that poo poo took an insane amount of time. so much that i cheated at the end rather than use them.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
I realized that at the end of my first run through the game, I somehow never encountered a reaper. I heard one once, right after letting the juvenile sea emperors out into the mountain biome, but never laid eyes on it.
So when I built up some tech in my current run I decided to go to the dunes region and meet one. I puttered all around one out there in a seamoth for nearly ten minutes before it decided to come and play. It was surprisingly easy to dodge. Ghost leviathans seemed nigh impossible to evade, but my new reaper buddy seems to experience some cornering issues.

I've got a new problem now. My new buddy decided to move in to the Kelp Forest area. I've been trying to lead him back to his old haunt at the Dunes/Mushroom Forest border, but he's not interested. Just keeps roaring and eating everything within sight. Whenever I try to chase him away with gas torpedoes and perimeter defense zaps, he just flees further into shallower water. Doesnt matter what side I hit him from or what I hit him with, he just keeps going further and further toward my lifepod. Any time I'm in the area he randomly erupts out of the ground and forces me to zap him.

While my actual base is in the Sparse Reef, that bastard is making it difficult to hunt scrap metal.
I'm glad I made a new friend, I just wish he wasn't the kind that invites himself to sleep on your couch, eat all your food, and generally make the place smell like doritos and feet.

Edit: So I went and got my prawn to have a go at punching the thing to death. Now there's two reapers in the safe shallows. One dropped me, then the other grabbed me. What. The. gently caress.

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 30, 2019

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I got bad pop-in on my 7.5 year old laptop (which was high powered when it came out), especially when using the fast vehicle. I could run into terrain obstacles a few seconds before they were drawn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Paracelsus posted:

I got bad pop-in on my 7.5 year old laptop (which was high powered when it came out), especially when using the fast vehicle. I could run into terrain obstacles a few seconds before they were drawn.
I've got what's basically a glorified netbook with an integrated graphics card and six gigs of ram and it runs fine as long as I don't go too fast in the fast vehicle (though I've also clipped through the ceiling of the Aurora from swimming up too fast once).

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I just upgraded from an old 660 to a 2060 so I'm looking forward to seeing how bad the pop in still in because I'm pretty sure that poo poo is just the fault of the engine, not the PC.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It's pretty bad on my 2070.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Below Zero stream is going live in a few minutes: https://www.twitch.tv/subnautica

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Early Access starts on like the 30th of this month, but it'll be very Early Access if the base game is anything to go by. I'm gonna buy the thing then but not touch it until they release it for real.

I considered the same, but then I remembered OG Subnautica was in EA for four years.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

as a grizzled veteran of early access subnautica, i say this with all sincerity- just wait until release for below zero

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

boar guy posted:

as a grizzled veteran of early access subnautica, i say this with all sincerity- just wait until release for below zero

I disagree, I played through the main game in early access several times. It was fun and didn't lessen the experience of playing the final release.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I'm gonna wait, but I'll still buy it because I want to support the development. So long as it's not like, $40.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

I disagree, I played through the main game in early access several times. It was fun and didn't lessen the experience of playing the final release.

i found it incredibly tedious and painful to have the story doled out in bits and the 2 gigabyte save files weren't fun either

by all means, buy it. i did. just don't play it until it's actually finished

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well streamers are playing it now, so time for a media blackout.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

boar guy posted:

i found it incredibly tedious and painful to have the story doled out in bits and the 2 gigabyte save files weren't fun either

The story is only a small part of the games appeal to me, I understand why some people prefer to wait for the finished game, I just wanted to comment that I don't regret putting in so many hours in early access.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

boar guy posted:

2 Gig save files AND 2 gig temp files in your userdata while playing :pseudo:

Boy was it a rude surprise when I learned this via it bugging out and not erasing itself when I had a postage stamp sized SSD. Devs silence on the matter flipped around to "SSD's are cheap and wear is a myth anyways. " over that little bug rep.

That said, given they won't have the zombified corpse of terrain manipulation dragging them down save sizes should probably be more sane to start with for Below Zero. I expect teleportation to suffer less on that front, base game teleportation being so hosed for so long is probably down to suddenly adding a mid play loading screens in a game built without such such changes in location accommodated for.

See also, "Eh, we don't NEED the thermal vents to load. Out of sight, out of mind" screwing with longer distance transmitted linked thermal generators until you remind the game they exist.

Scan rooms might even have persistent data if we want to keep dreaming :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 30, 2019

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I'm watching a twitch stream right now and the game is hiccuping like a motherfucker with the seaglide. exactly like it did in subanutica.

have they done nothing to improve this games terrible performance? i know early access and everything, but we've been through this song and dance about supposed performance fixes once already.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A few questions that I don't want to discover the answers to the hard way:

1) Does radiation ever come off objects, or is it just the ship? I found some uranite and I don't want to end up getting cancer because I haven't found a lead-lined locker yet. One deadly disease is enough, thank you.

2) Where's a good place to find scans for Cool Robot Arms and Big Ship pieces? I've finished two thirds of the Big Ship, but I'm still missing the hull, and have yet to find a single cool arm.

3) Does the cool robot take fall damage? It's kinda tedious slowly climbing down the sides of cliffs because I'm worried about missing my timing or catching the side of something, but this isn't something I want to test and end up having my legs shoot out my shoulders.

4) Do resources (especially basic ones like Titanium/Metal Salvage and Copper) actually respawn, or do I need to ration that poo poo?

5) Relatedly, is there any significance to the placement of the alien vents, or can I take those beacons back?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Demiurge4 posted:

Well streamers are playing it now, so time for a media blackout.

I've seen a bunch of vines and other stuff that's straight from the first game. The creepvines are identical. And performance underwater is same poo poo, but above ground it tanks into single digits.

I know early access and all, but what have these people been doing all this time.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

A few questions that I don't want to discover the answers to the hard way:

1) Does radiation ever come off objects, or is it just the ship? I found some uranite and I don't want to end up getting cancer because I haven't found a lead-lined locker yet. One deadly disease is enough, thank you.

2) Where's a good place to find scans for Cool Robot Arms and Big Ship pieces? I've finished two thirds of the Big Ship, but I'm still missing the hull, and have yet to find a single cool arm.

3) Does the cool robot take fall damage? It's kinda tedious slowly climbing down the sides of cliffs because I'm worried about missing my timing or catching the side of something, but this isn't something I want to test and end up having my legs shoot out my shoulders.

4) Do resources (especially basic ones like Titanium/Metal Salvage and Copper) actually respawn, or do I need to ration that poo poo?

5) Relatedly, is there any significance to the placement of the alien vents, or can I take those beacons back?

1. It's only in the zone near the ship, and it goes away if you repair the ship's wrecked reactor.

2. Check the Mushroom Forest and the Blood Kelp Zone, both areas have large wrecks that usually have what you're looking for.

3. Nope.

4. Metal deposits don't respawn (AFAIK), but on the other hand there's enough around to build everything you want. Biological resources (kelp, creepvines, mushrooms and stuff like that) can be cultivated when you've found the blueprints for an outdoor growbed.

5. You find out their purpose near the end of the storyline, but you don't ever need to interact with them, it's just flavor.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 30, 2019

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
No one posted the Below Zero early access trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA7BRa9_Lu4

e: lol :reddit:

Xik fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 30, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Xik posted:

No one posted the Below Zero early access trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA7BRa9_Lu4

e: lol :reddit:

gently caress it, I'm buying the game right now for nerdtears alone.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

PMush Perfect posted:

I mean, it could just be the company creating dumb contrevery to make sales.

It'd wait, it looks like a lot of assets are just re-used, it's uh, I dunno, I'm still pissed because the performance looks just as awful.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It takes place on the same planet and it's an expansion to the first game (an expansion that was initially intended to be much smaller that it ended up as) so I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to re-use assets.

Morphix posted:

If they were a small indie company releasing a game nobody had ever heard about, then it might be a slight possibility, but it's the expansion to one of the most popular games of 2018, they don't need to create controversy to sell games.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 30, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Morphix posted:

Consistency is good, but maybe you could try making posts that are less bad than the ones you make in C-Spam. You know, just for a change of pace.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Comrade Koba posted:

2. Check the Mushroom Forest and the Blood Kelp Zone, both areas have large wrecks that usually have what you're looking for.

to add to this, make sure you check the whole wreck inside and out for cutaway panels

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm probably going to wait and see what the final product is like.

As much as I love the original, $25 for a few hours seems pretty eh, especially if they continue to ignore all the long standing issues with pop in and performance etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Morphix posted:

It'd wait, it looks like a lot of assets are just re-used, it's uh, I dunno, I'm still pissed because the performance looks just as awful.
you're extremely dumb if this is your take on it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Wait is the main character going to be talking and doing a narrative in sub-zero? Why?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wait is the main character going to be talking and doing a narrative in sub-zero? Why?

I watched 20 minutes of streaming and it seems to be dialogue triggered by proximity to plot areas. So basically the audio diaries of the normal game but in the present tense rather than past tense. If there's more going on then I missed the subtlety.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Captain Invictus posted:

you're extremely dumb if this is your take on it

yes thats a very serious take i am having, very

it may be very serious, but its not dumb, it's not like companies havn't used this stuff to market games and movies, unless you think this company, because it's indie makes it not capable of hiring a dumb marketing firm to drum up social media buzz, which wellll

and lets be honest, this company isn't an indie. it stopped being that at least a year or two ago.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I'm mainly just pissed because I told myself that they could get the performance down this time. They had learned from the past. This map wouldn't be a editable like the origional one was first designed to be, and because of this, well performance would get changed. All the things people said on forums with the first early access to excuse it. Surely a big award wining, flush with a bunch of cash could fix the single major flaw that's been plaguing their loving game since day 1.

and than I watched the streams and the outdoor performance is, well it's like when you're swinging with the mech now, and underwater is still as choppy and lod poppy wen you travel too fast.

What have they been doing the past year? gently caress. This is one of my favorite gaming experiences. But I could excuse the performance stuff the first outing, but they're big, couldn't they hire someone to fix their engine, couldn't they get a new loving engine, or just gently caress, something. There is no reason a game that looks like it's a mix of ps2 and ps3 era graphics should run this lovely. There is nothing but blue on the screen sometimes in Subzero and there is noticebly frame drops.

It's like nothing was learned. And we will get to hear the same song and dance number this time around. How this time they will for sure fix the performance. Just give them time, again, because it's early access, again.

I figured this thing would be done by now and I would be buying it. Not doing this early access song and dance thing again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Morphix posted:

it may be very serious, but its not dumb, it's not like companies havn't used this stuff to market games and movies, unless you think this company, because it's indie makes it not capable of hiring a dumb marketing firm to drum up social media buzz, which wellll

and lets be honest, this company isn't an indie. it stopped being that at least a year or two ago.
Please, keep digging. You might hit Moria soon.

In unrelated news, I managed to somehow fall off the edge of the map. Somewhere about 2000 meters down, my Cool Robot exploded (:() and I was eaten by a spooky ghost worm.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, that's the real danger with the awesome robot suit: if you fall too fast you might pass through the bottom of the map before it renders and then you just keep falling until you get below crush depth.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Yeah, that's the real danger with the awesome robot suit: if you fall too fast you might pass through the bottom of the map before it renders and then you just keep falling until you get below crush depth.

Ya, and Subnautica is such a unique experience that it's easy enough to excuse if the experience really grips you. But so much of the experience is getting lost in this very real and alive feeling world. So when basic game geomtery is failing to keep up with the games own movement, it really begins to ruin the experience. At least for me, it wasn't so much the terrain, I could sort of block that out in my mind. It was seeing the leviathans clip through poo poo like assholes. It just, here was the most fearsome foe, and watch is glitch out weeeeeeeeeee. Half Life 2 had physic based objects, how the gently caress is this a thing when I can fit this entire games install on my gpus ram.

Like let them reuse assets, gently caress I'd pay for an ultimate version of the first game with fixed performance. Just someone reuse the assets and the sounds and remake the loving thing in Unreal engine. Whatever it is they are using suuuuuuuucks.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Morphix posted:

You're sort of ignoring context and the previous history with this. The original EA only had a male character, the Subnautica director and studio co-founder put out a stupid loving poll on twitter asking players if they want to "improve the core game" or "add a female model". The studio in general seemed to have a series of lovely employees doing and saying stupid poo poo.

They obviously decided to change it up and make the default model female this time. Even if it their sole motivation was to attempt to avoid bad press then who cares, they followed through and did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
You just take the 3d modelers and assign them to Performance, hth