Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Husbear is in Florida for work this week and is sending me snaps of the beach.

Lol he’s not coming home until the ocean chases him north

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah it's been around 70 in the warmer parts of the day and the pale skin northerners are out and about taking full advantage.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

If it wasn't for my husband taking a job back here in the midwest, I never had plans to move back. Weather like tomorrow confirms why I should have stayed away. At least I get to bundle up professionally and go help individuals dealing with mental disorders tomorrow.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Has this been been posted?

https://twitter.com/shannongormley/status/1088857433794117634?s=21

Extremely good long read about the Thai cave rescue.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

I live in miami its like 50 degrees and im freezing my loving nuts off

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

jerman999 posted:

why are you posting a twitter, for a link from twitter instead of the actual story or story link

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
High of 52 here in the PNW. Definitely the nicest winter I've seen here. At least one sunny day every weekend this January. Today was clear blue skies and you could see Mt. Rainier and the Olympic Mountains.

My first winter here was almost nothing but darkness and rain for 6 months.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ded posted:

why are you posting a twitter, for a link from twitter instead of the actual story or story link

Because then you get the auto-embed headline and picture from the story thanks to ZDR's embed code.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

High of 52 here in the PNW. Definitely the nicest winter I've seen here. At least one sunny day every weekend this January. Today was clear blue skies and you could see Mt. Rainier and the Olympic Mountains.

Yeah it's been a waaaaaaaaay too warm and dry couple of winters.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Amateurs go to the beach in summer. Pros go in fall/winter. The Gulf is weird in that sometimes it's kind of chilly on land, but then feels like a warm bath in the ocean.

BTW, going to Florida for a work trip very soon and taking some time off on the back end to hang out in the ocean and kayak in mangroves :smug:

ded posted:

Because you are old

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

jerman999 posted:

I’m a divemaster through PADI, and everything about how they rescued these kids utterly terrifies me. Flash flood in a cave? Check. Potential unknown/changed route to survivors based on that flood? Check. Zero visibility? Check. High current in some places? Check. Get away from your guideline? Death comes for you, and you can hear the footsteps sneaking up on you with every breath you take as your air supply slowly dwindles. Not that you could see your pressure gauge, since a silt-out in an already-dark cave would crack anyone, sooner or later...but you’d have to get suspicious after you’ve been down there a while and haven’t found your way back to the line. That they even managed to find the kids was an impressive feat all its own, getting them back out alive raises it to something out of a diving legend.

quote:

Strength is useless. Skill is useless. Only by emptying his lungs can he flatten his body enough to move an inch backwards. Then another inch. Then another. Breathe out, inch back. Breathe out, inch back. Finally he’s free. Ben is in this cave because of his experience. His experience tells him no amount of experience can beat this cave. Soon more monsoon rains will fall.

Just reading this spikes my stress level, and I’ve got hundreds of dives to my name. I’ll go in a wreck or a cavern, where the exit is still visible and air isn’t terribly far away...but I always carry a backup tank and reg for the bailout, and keep the exit in sight at all times.

e:

quote:

The children cannot dive; the children will panic; the children will drown their rescuers and themselves. That is why Dr. Harry is going to do this: inject 12 kids with a sedative so powerful it will knock them out cold.

Ketamine: a horse tranquilizer, an operating-room drug, a soon-to-be cave-rescue pharmaceutical product in its early testing stages on rock-entombed human minors.

If only it were so simple. The children’s drugs will need to be topped up with half-doses along the way. Dr. Harry cannot dive every child out himself, but the divers are not medical doctors. Dr. Harry must give a dozen cave hobbyists and small-business owners a crash course in do-it-yourself anaesthesiology.

:stonklol:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 30, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I haven’t clicked the article yet so I don’t know if this is covered, but how they basically put the kids under near general anesthesia with Xanax and ketamine and basically hoped for the best without being able to monitor their vitals scares the hell out of me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like going under for an operation that'll either save your life or speed up the dying

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

And what did they get for rolling the hard six and succeeding, one of the richest fuckers in the world calling them a pedo for not entertaining his child coffin idea.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Nick Soapdish posted:

And what did they get for rolling the hard six and succeeding, one of the richest fuckers in the world calling them a pedo for not entertaining his child coffin idea.

I'm still genuinely impressed that he hasn't convinced some of his fans to drag his water heater thing into the cave system to prove it would work (which would then generate another rescue mission, but now his tube is plugging the tunnel).

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Mustang posted:

can confirm. moved to Washington in fall 2016 and it rained every loving day until April 2017.

Meanwhile my home state of Kentucky has gotten more rain in winter 2018 and 2019 than Western Washington.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I haven’t clicked the article yet so I don’t know if this is covered, but how they basically put the kids under near general anesthesia with Xanax and ketamine and basically hoped for the best without being able to monitor their vitals scares the hell out of me.

The nice thing about ketamine is that it doesn't cause respiratory depression so it's "safe" in that regard, and it can be given into the muscle like it says in the article. Almost a "perfect" drug for this use, if such a thing exists.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I’m currently at -5 and waiting for this polar vortex -50 windchills.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
-1•c here in the UK. I woke up with a numb foot and severe cramp in my hand.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Bad Poster posted:

The military is like a big pickup truck: needlessly expensive, gaudy, and ruins untold numbers of young men's credit scores.

What ruins the fico more? The Silverado or the inevitable engine rebuild after loving the thing up with some live tuning software?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it must be just peachy in minot rn

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Currently -22 feels like -49 with the windchill

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Tollymain posted:

it must be just peachy in minot rn

Ice sure is nice.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

FAUXTON posted:

What ruins the fico more? The Silverado or the inevitable engine rebuild after loving the thing up with some live tuning software?

Duramax silverado rolling coal

Edit wind chills of -30 C and then rain and +6 on monday, getting some of that global warming next week

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

I feel like his effort was the culmination of the "partial credit" homework mentality. He made a submersible casket with all the bells and whistles including an i-pod holder, so in his mind he delivered a 95% complete product. The last 5% of the problem (which was never solved) was the fact that it could not fit through the passages it would have to navigate to rescue anyone. He can show me work and get to 95% of a complete answer, but he still hasn't arrived.

I think that's the difference between tackling the immutable problem first versus the window-dressing. Window-dressing is easy when you have a blank check and a captive workforce of engineers willing to bend over backwards on overtime. Buuuut I'm just a civil engineer, not a billionaire entrepreneur

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

-22C, feels like -29C

Almost got smashed by a tractor-trailer smashing the brakes on and starting to jack-knife. Nice start to the day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Duramax silverado rolling coal

Edit wind chills of -30 C and then rain and +6 on monday, getting some of that global warming next week

More like Duramax Silverado rolling cold

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

has the world ended because of hot temperatures? no?

then you have no proof global warming exists.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

egyptian rat race posted:

I feel like his effort was the culmination of the "partial credit" homework mentality. He made a submersible casket with all the bells and whistles including an i-pod holder, so in his mind he delivered a 95% complete product. The last 5% of the problem (which was never solved) was the fact that it could not fit through the passages it would have to navigate to rescue anyone. He can show me work and get to 95% of a complete answer, but he still hasn't arrived.

I think that's the difference between tackling the immutable problem first versus the window-dressing. Window-dressing is easy when you have a blank check and a captive workforce of engineers willing to bend over backwards on overtime. Buuuut I'm just a civil engineer, not a billionaire entrepreneur

wait really?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

egyptian rat race posted:

Iirc this is called agile

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

That Works posted:

wait really?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1016029337450004480

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/...ingawful.com%2F

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

FAUXTON posted:

Iirc this is called agile

Agile is why we keep getting IT solutions that don't solve the underlying problem at work, so this checks out. Band-Aids on top of Band-Aids...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

3 of these are diesel, two are gas turbocharged. I'm insane.

do you wanna go do karate in the garage

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SarahPalinUSA/status/1090386184856064000?s=19

:ironicat:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Stacey Abrams is really cool.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
It's a good thing I'm not on Twitter because I would reply "hey, remember when you lost you dumb ignorant oval office?" And some MAGA gently caress would doxx me.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics...ingawful.com%2F

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Schultz is a loving idiot and I really hope he doesn't run as an independent. I really hope he doesn't run at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1090608298343190528

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1090609577006112769

President Donald Trump, Professional Intelligencer Who Is More Smarterer Than All Intelligences Agency