Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

he means lame workplace bonding exercise twister not fun drunk half naked twister

I loved genre books growing up and have read some poo poo, but Sanderson is spectacularly dull and lifeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If you comprehend absolutely any element of a book, no matter how trivial, you have enaged with a theme. There is no way for a human reader to avoid it. The alternative is that people somehow read words on a page and feel things because of the words independently from understanding the words, which is nonsense.

lol if you dont open your heart chakra to the akashic record and sublimate yourself into the pure unmediated Form of the book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Wheeee posted:

he means lame workplace bonding exercise twister not fun drunk half naked twister

I loved genre books growing up and have read some poo poo, but Sanderson is spectacularly dull and lifeless

well he is mormon

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
mormons inherently cannot write for poo poo and shouldn't be allowed to try

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
there's nothing wrong with having a phobia of sex but you owe it to the readers to at least manifest the phobia into horrifying vagina monsters, which mormons won't do because there are no vagina monsters in the bible (allegedly)

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Nobel prize winner Mario Vargas Llosa also advocates treating writing as a job and dedicating 8 hours a day to the text even if you only end up with a paragraph. I haven't read Sanderson so I'm not defending his writing, but I don't see anything wrong with his work discipline

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pacho posted:

Nobel prize winner Mario Vargas Llosa also advocates treating writing as a job and dedicating 8 hours a day to the text even if you only end up with a paragraph. I haven't read Sanderson so I'm not defending his writing, but I don't see anything wrong with his work discipline

thats not quite the problem with that post

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

thats not quite the problem with that post

Ohh, I've read back the linked posts and it seems I was lacking context, my bad

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, "even if you only end up with a paragraph" is nearly the opposite of that post's message.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
writing a bildungsroman about a boy who can't get laid... until he finds a magic sword that can change at his command from an instrument of war into a dildo, supple and soft-skinned, crafted by an ancient civilisation who were brought to ruin by their own creations run amok. now capable of satisfying his own desires, he is no longer enslaved by the fickle swamps of women and can journey to his destiny unhindered. at one point a blushing nymph laughs at his doublet so he lets her be eaten by bears

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

pikachode posted:

writing a bildungsroman about a boy who can't get laid... until he finds a magic sword that can change at his command from an instrument of war into a dildo, supple and soft-skinned, crafted by an ancient civilisation who were brought to ruin by their own creations run amok. now capable of satisfying his own desires, he is no longer enslaved by the fickle swamps of women and can journey to his destiny unhindered. at one point a blushing nymph laughs at his doublet so he lets her be eaten by bears

looks like someone's finally unleashing their true fantastical juices

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
sanderson wrote an entire book on a single airplane trip once and all his fans see that as commendable rather than a sign they’re consuming utterly thoughtless tripe

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i don't think much of sanderson as an artist but i kind of respect him as a professional

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Peel posted:

i don't think much of sanderson as an artist but i kind of respect him as a professional
yeah the man is a machine

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
IMO Sanderson's work varies quite a bit in quality with the Mistborn trilogy being tedious shite and the Stormlight series being competently executed modern fantasy with a reasonably unusual setting.
(No, it's not magnificently imaginative, but it is at least something other than "medieval Frangland/Chipan/Grome again")

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zoracle Zed posted:

sanderson wrote an entire book on a single airplane trip once and all his fans see that as commendable rather than a sign they’re consuming utterly thoughtless tripe

I mean to be fair Mozart wrote a symphony on a carriage ride once

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i write a lot of posts on the toilet

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Zoracle Zed posted:

When compared to GRRM and Rothfuss that is an amazing quality.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

So what I’m hearing is that if you have a moderate work ethic and a willingness to grind out derivative crap, you’re head and shoulders above 95% of fantasy writers? Is this a grift worth getting into? What do these jokers get paid?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

When compared to GRRM and Rothfuss that is an amazing quality.

GRRM realized as soon as the show was a hit he never had to write another word ever again

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

poisonpill posted:

So what I’m hearing is that if you have a moderate work ethic and a willingness to grind out derivative crap, you’re head and shoulders above 95% of fantasy writers? Is this a grift worth getting into? What do these jokers get paid?

No

For every Sanderson there are like 100,000 self-publishing Fantasy writers just waiting for a big break that will never come. Many of them probably write more than Sanderson and many of them are probably better writers, some both.

Publishers don't need another person to write popular garbage when they have a few cash cows already. It's a very saturated market.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
No idea if thread-appropriate, but IDGAF YOLO

A new Italian translation of The Lord of the Rings is coming out, and it's already a can of worms. The books were originally translated in 1967 by noblewoman Vittoria Alliata di Villafranca, when she was still a 17 year old girl. It's universally considered, other than an incredible achievement for such a young translator, good prose but a terrible translation, and despite extensive re-editing, it's still pretty flawed - entire sentences omitted, new sentences that paraphrase or explain, incorrect translations of names that completely distort the intended meaning, etc. (I've never read The Lord of the Rings actually so I can't confirm/deny). To add insult to injury, the most popular edition also had an introduction that viewed the story through an allegorical lens (against Tolkien's wishes), that was eventually excised and replaced with a translation Tolkien's own introduction

Last year, a new translator was hired, Ottavio Fatica (a veteran of the profession who has previously translated Kipling and Moby Dick), to redo the translation from scratch, and Vittoria Alliata has taken offense to what she's afraid could be a translation that "dresses up the Lord of the Rings in LGBT fashion, in deference to newfangledness"

*record scratch*

... what?

Let's take a step backwards. In Italy, there are two major literary associations related to Tolkien: the Società Tolkieniana Italiana ("Italian Tolkienian Society") and the Associazione Italiana di Studi Tolkieniani (Italian Association of Tolkienian Studies), that split off from the former when it filled with fascists. The two associations have been fighting a passive-aggressive war of words for over two decades now, and the Tolkien estate has wisely sided with neither. This is part of why a new translation of The Lord of the Rings should be politicized. The other reason is that Ottavio Fatica has already attracted controversy for making the homoeroticism of Moby Dick more explicit in his translation (I haven't read Moby Dick, either, so I have no idea how much of the controversy is founded, and how much it's about people who have statue avatars on Twitter), which earned him the enmity of the kind of people who haven't gotten over Vatican II and call Pope Francis the Whore of Babylon

Exciting, isn't it?

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 30, 2019

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
gay italian hobbits

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

hackbunny posted:

making the homoeroticism of Moby Dick more explicit

But that's impossible!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

pikachode posted:

gay italian hobbits

there were fascist summer camp music festivals in 70s italy and they were literally called hobbit camps, pretty cool

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
il hobbito

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

pikachode posted:

gay italian hobbits

Fully-automated italian gay space hobbitses!

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
gently caress Tolkien's wishes.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
lol at europeans who dont speak english

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
that said it is actually very bad to deliberately deliberately emphasize or deemphasize elements of a work in translation in order to suit a particular interpretation, assuming that actually happened, which it probably did not

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

you got me riled up now

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lex Neville posted:

you got me riled up now

he posted, in english

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lex Neville posted:

gently caress Tolkien's wishes.

It was a pretty bad take though. It talked about "absolute Evil" acting in the books, identified hobbits with Celts. Stuff like that

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
that last bit sounds bad but absolute evil does act in the books tho?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I should read less English and more Italian. Ottavio Fatica greatest praise for Vittoria Alliata's translation was that it was actually written in Italian, not in "translatorese", and I know that pain, both as a reader and as an occasional translator

Never read them, sorry. I just wanted to report that Tolkien is now trapped in late-2010s-hot-take-hellworld with the rest of us

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

hackbunny posted:

It was a pretty bad take though. It talked about "absolute Evil" acting in the books, identified hobbits with Celts. Stuff like that
I wasn't entirely serious. Especially re: an introduction, it sounds justified. It's just that Tolkien appears to have had a tendency to intervene a lot

he posted, in english
what did I ever do to you :(

^^^^^ I'm curious, what constitutes "occasional translation"?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

something about how evil is a corruption of good = there is no absolute evil is a pretty big Tolkien theme (heh)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

^^^^^ I'm curious, what constitutes "occasional translation"?

I proofread/translate articles for a brilliant but inarticulate friend sometimes. This is an example of an article I nearly rewrote from scratch and I'm quite proud of it. Read the other articles in the series to see the difference in style

I subtitled Army of Love in Italian for a film festival organized by a friend

I was working on scanlating a couple of crazy Italian Mickey Mouse graphic novels (Goofy inherits the athletic skills of an ancient Olympian; a Mickey-themed Cold War parody of Ninotchka; I forget what else) back when we liberally posted scans in the webcomics thread, but then mods noticed, purged the thread, and I lost the taste for it

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Cool!

Is it something you're pursuing? I hope you don't mean you've lost the taste for translation altogether :ohdear:

e: also am I correct in assuming you're an Italian native?

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

Cool!

Is it something you're pursuing? I hope you don't mean you've lost the taste for translation altogether :ohdear:

e: also am I correct in assuming you're an Italian native?

Oh no just that particular project. The incomplete files taunt me every time I look at the desktop

I have internalized "translator" as part of my identity, even if I don't really pursue it (but I'm always happy to help friends, or to fall head over heels for particularly interesting projects), so it's just a constant background thing. I delete forums posts drafts if I can't get them to sound right, instead of :justpost:; I refuse to use Google Translate except for idioms I can't find on WordReference; I absent-mindedly sing along songs translating lyrics on the fly; etc. I would get more "serious" with it if I had a really good reason, but translating is a hard job with poo poo pay, and I already have too many hobbies I can do from the couch

Yes I'm Italian. Never not reposting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp2uDyzxP6g