Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Wifi Toilet posted:

Also a mod that gives me more different colonist names would be nice...

Editable Backstories does that. You can disable the kickstarter characters as well.

e: a shameful snipe, so please enjoy this high level tactic of calling in the most dangerous allies to deal with late game pirate raids. If it's far enough from your base, a crashed poison ship can be handy to keep around.

BrainMeats fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've had raiders, bugs, and allies show up at the same time for a megabrawl at my colony.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Attempted to play the crash landing scenario with some pirates I made. I went with easy just so I could have a single uninjured pawn at the start.

Things started decently, got a cave map(I used a random map start), and a weapons deck chunk dropped a uranium cannon and a bunch of shells right at the entrance, the fires thankfully quickly being extinguished as it landed on rock.

Then the first crypto sleep block fell. One of the pawn landed in the fog of war, as the chunk fell on a mountain, and nearly burned to death before I found her.

In the end, I had a single healthy pawn, one critically burned but walking pawn, and two walking wounded. (one missing an arm)

Wanting to prevent explosions, I prioritized moving the shells inside. Unfortunately, the critically burned pawn took this moment to have a mental breakdown and punch an incindiary shell. I watched as the impromptu ammo dump cooked off and shredded everyone.

Edit: Does anyone know of any mods that add potential mining disasters beyond just infestations or roof collapses? Things like a low miner skill pawn accidently drilling into a gas pocket and setting it off?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 28, 2019

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If you wanted to make mountain forts, like, wildly impractical that would be a good way to do it yeah.

Searching for ore next tile over would be as risky as going on a raid unless you have a crack team of expeditionary miners who somehow still have all their fingers and eyes!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Honestly tempted to turn off vampires and werewolves, they're just more trouble than they're worth.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This new Metal Gear game is really weird, even by Kojima standards.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
More Pristine Ruins fun:

I've been going to virtually all of them I can find and I think a good portion of the player base for RimWorld are actually crazy people. The ruins are allegedly compiled from the equivalent of screenshots, so I have to assume people are building this way on purpose.

Aside from that, there appears to not be any sort of method to the madness of construction quality. I have found like 40 Legendary Dressers and wooden dining chairs, but no beds and only a couple legendary statues.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I have been wondering whether the mod kitbashes different bases together. Almost definitely yes on your home tile but wondering about the quest ruins.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It absolutely does at least sometimes, I found a place that had what must've been at least three different bases clumped together. I don't have screenshots but I absolutely refuse to believe that those places were all designed like that by one person.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm not 100% convinced, though it does have some obvious weaknesses when it comes to terrain. I don't have a screenshot, but one ruin I came across it was VERY obvious that it had taken a specific chunk of the ruin out of a larger map and superimposed it, leaving a big obvious square where the terrain didn't match.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Does the competition at pristine bases scale with your wealth? My colony is just getting off the ground and i've got one nearby, but i would be going in with 3-4 people and bolt action rifles.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Eltoasto posted:

Does the competition at pristine bases scale with your wealth? My colony is just getting off the ground and i've got one nearby, but i would be going in with 3-4 people and bolt action rifles.

From what I gathered, I'm not entirely sure - although the enemies you encounter there seem to be tied to your wealth.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Eltoasto posted:

I think it scales with the wealth of the base, actually.

e: but it's almost always worth going. Even if you only manage to sneak in and grab a few things, free poo poo is free poo poo.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
For basebuilding runs I have a custom scenario that lands a squad with a few droids. I generally set and forget them but noticed a huge slump in productivity after changing the colony's drink and drugs policies to curb alcoholism.

They're unfeeling, sleepless automatons. They don't even have mouths. :catstare:

Also, pictured here is gloomy furniture. I wish they'd do an overhaul of all the textures in the game, I really like their style. It fits with the vanilla set but also looks more detailed.

V: turned off their oddly mandatory 1 drink a day policy, but I'm guessing that's why there's that one beer on the floor. They wants to be people.

wit fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 29, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wit posted:

For basebuilding runs I have a custom scenario that lands a squad with a few droids. I generally set and forget them but noticed a huge slump in productivity after changing the colony's drink and drugs policies to curb alcoholism.

They're unfeeling, sleepless automatons. They don't even have mouths. :catstare:

Also, pictured here is gloomy furniture. I wish they'd do an overhaul of all the textures in the game, I really like their style. It fits with the vanilla set but also looks more detailed.

If you watch them, it is even funnier, because they fail to drink the beers every time. At least, assuming beer behaves like phenoxycycline.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You have an entire colony of Benders you should be bragging

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Infestations are driving me crazy. I'm thinking about starting a new game with them nerfed somehow. I just dont find them fun in any way, but love the idea of having a mountain fortress.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

sharkbomb posted:

Infestations are driving me crazy. I'm thinking about starting a new game with them nerfed somehow. I just dont find them fun in any way, but love the idea of having a mountain fortress.

You can just disable them at start, I did that for a long time since I felt they were balanced out of whack.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

sharkbomb posted:

Shredder Turrets at every hallway junction.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

You’ll still be against at least 40 raiders. Until you’ve got a crack team with explosives, you run in and grab poo poo.

When it starts, the raiders are scattered around the ruin, but they all receive the order to follow one dude and head after their leader. Sometimes that’s at the opposite end of the ruin and you got loads of time to run in (they don’t engage, even when shot) and grab poo poo then run. Once they find their leader and cluster up, then they come for you.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

So is there a good guide for setting up killboxes? I'm further along with this colony than I've ever been before and I'm getting to a point where a handful of mini-turrets with spike traps in front of them aren't getting the job done. I'm playing a mountain base with a large open area outside it behind a single choke point. Would I be better off building defense at the choke point or at the entrance to the mountain? Also, is there any way to un-bond animals from pawns? I need to do some culling but I don't want to take any mood hits. One other thing: When my pawns are preparing to leave on a caravan and it is time to rest they end up sleeping on the floor instead of going to their bad. How do I prevent this?

Traxis fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 30, 2019

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

sharkbomb posted:

Might I suggest a mod? It trivializes bug HP, but they still come.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1451980373

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Traxis posted:

So is there a good guide for setting up killboxes? I'm further along with this colony than I've ever been before and I'm getting to a point where a handful of mini-turrets with spike traps in front of them aren't getting the job done. I'm playing a mountain base with a large open area outside it behind a single choke point. Would I be better off building defense at the choke point or at the entrance to the mountain? Also, is there any way to un-bond animals from pawns? I need to do some culling but I don't want to take any mood hits. One other thing: When my pawns are preparing to leave on a caravan and it is time to rest they end up sleeping on the floor instead of going to their bad. How do I prevent this?

If your colonists can reach the choke point from their normal activities/bed if a raid arrives in time to actually fight the raid (rather than let it take down your walls/all turrets) then build at choke point, in addition to a 2nd defense line at entrance to base.

You cannot unbond animals to a pawn other than death. Wait until you've got high morale or you're fine letting your colonists hit the drugs for a bit.

Don't try to start caravans near bedtime or have one a too small pawn # caravan trying to load 18000 human leather (i.e. don't let loading take a long time by planning ahead).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So I had the event where a ship hulk dropped down, though it is one from a mod with pirates inside.

I send someout to pop it open and run, figuring Ill deal with it later. The pirates putz around the hulk and I get distracted with a kroot raid.

A day or two later ingame after the kroot raid the game slows down again but gives me no notifcations, I scroll around a bit to see one if my pawns wandering near the ship looking to grab something.

Out of the 5 pirates that came out of the ship only one was left. None of them had food on them so judging from the log one of tantrumed, murdered a fellow pirate or three, and ate the resulting corpse. This continued until there was only one pirate left which is what spooked my pawn.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Honestly I've kinda stopped using killboxes, replacing them with fortified emplacements(embrasures with sandbags behind them or whatever I have access to, later on tossing a few m14 mines along with napalm in the choke is always fun.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1346865620 Oh poo poo guess what mod has a 1.0 devbuild now

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 30, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I hadn't been playing since b18 and boy, are traps useless now. I made the old style snaking corridor of death filled with staggered traps, but now your colonists have a chance of popping them if they just pass near one, it happens annoyingly frequently and as a result I have 2 brain-damaged colonists now (one became a trauma savant so it's a wash I guess? Her husband doesn't complain about her being silent :v: )

plus having to rebuild them is a huge drain on resources and time, especially if you use the stone versions...

They kill manhunters and tribals quite readily, I must admit, but the risk of maiming your colonists is totally not worth it. Plus back in B18 enemies would always beeline for the "open path" into your killbox, but now even stupid tribal raiders tend to avoid funnels and prefer bashing at walls to flank you :smith:

Got an embrasures mod and I'll start setting up pillbox bunkers in strategic places, and double up the width of my perimeter walls, let's see if that works out

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I've ironically found traps more useful away from the base and running along or near random hills or valleys or the like. It's pretty obvious after a while where raids tend to come from and which routes across the map they'll usually go to get close to you even if they're sappers or whatever, so it's a handy way to thin out a few raiders while having little risk to colonists or guests. Definitely not a main defense anymore though, no.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

TorakFade posted:

I made the old style snaking corridor of death filled with staggered traps, but now your colonists have a chance of popping them if they just pass near one, it happens annoyingly frequently and as a result I have 2 brain-damaged colonists now

Do they not have to pass through them any more? I have a 2-3-2 pattern at each of my base's outer entrances.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Walton Simons posted:

Do they not have to pass through them any more? I have a 2-3-2 pattern at each of my base's outer entrances.

Not sure what you mean by 2-3-2, I'll use my mad Paint skillz to show you how I did it :

corridor is 2 tiles wide, and traps are staggered: trap 1 on bottom tile, trap 2 on top tile, trap 3 on bottom tile etc... and spaced apart 2 tiles, as close as it would let me put them

so there is always a way to walk around one (because you can't even put traps next to each other anymore) but colonists still trip them, and pretty often too

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Honestly I've kinda stopped using killboxes, replacing them with fortified emplacements(embrasures with sandbags behind them or whatever I have access to, later on tossing a few m14 mines along with napalm in the choke is always fun.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1346865620 Oh poo poo guess what mod has a 1.0 devbuild now

This is the best news I've had in my sick, frozen, disgusting week.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Not sure what you mean by 2-3-2, I'll use my mad Paint skillz to show you how I did it :

corridor is 2 tiles wide, and traps are staggered: trap 1 on bottom tile, trap 2 on top tile, trap 3 on bottom tile etc... and spaced apart 2 tiles, as close as it would let me put them

so there is always a way to walk around one (because you can't even put traps next to each other anymore) but colonists still trip them, and pretty often too

A small addition to this, put sandbags on the corner into your killbox(here in this example)

This makes it so they can't use the corner as cover and are forced to push in

You can also put an IED/landmine from a mod above them since the sandbags will cause them to bunch together meaning once the first finishes pushing through they'll trigger the mine. I also suggest putting a door on the corner somewhere near the entrance or exit that you can close so random rear end animals don't run into the maze and use all your traps when they're not needed.

Warmachine posted:

This is the best news I've had in my sick, frozen, disgusting week.

Do post your findings when you get around to it, I'm a bit on the fence still since it's a devbuild

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 30, 2019

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

LonsomeSon posted:

If you wanted to make mountain forts, like, wildly impractical that would be a good way to do it yeah.

Searching for ore next tile over would be as risky as going on a raid unless you have a crack team of expeditionary miners who somehow still have all their fingers and eyes!

I'm talking like realistic probabilities here as opposed to "each block has a chance to explode." We already have gas mechanics and roof collapse mechanics, why not combine them for possible mining disasters beyond "we found bugs?" Hell, back in the day, the mine's shitter was a hazard as it was usually just an abandoned tunnel and the methane buildup had potential for exploding.

Then you could have a research tree dedicated to mine safety.

I dunno. It probably would be a pain in the rear end to implement for very little benefit.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Put in doors for your colonists. Raiders don't attack doors unless there's no other route (or the alternate route is too long for the pathfinding algorithm) so that should keep your colonists off the traps.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
You can even make the hallway 1-width and put the doors in between groups of two traps so raiders are guaranteed to hit traps, colonists never step on them, and they can pick up bodies/gear easily.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a way to make colonists carry around Go-Juice or Wakeup for strategic purposes? Go-Juice especially is something you only need to take in emergencies, so it makes no sense to set it on a schedule.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Is there a way to make colonists carry around Go-Juice or Wakeup for strategic purposes? Go-Juice especially is something you only need to take in emergencies, so it makes no sense to set it on a schedule.

I think under drug scheduling you can tell them to pick up x number and have that on hand at all times.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

HelloSailorSign posted:

I think under drug scheduling you can tell them to pick up x number and have that on hand at all times.

Yeah, but you have to have it on a schedule first. You can set the requirements to something absurd (like only take if your mood is below 1%), but then they just won't pick any up at all.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, but you have to have it on a schedule first. You can set the requirements to something absurd (like only take if your mood is below 1%), but then they just won't pick any up at all.

best bet is probably to just have stashes of the drugs you wanna use stored at various strategic points on the map, i would think. maybe there's a mod for it though?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Syndlig posted:

best bet is probably to just have stashes of the drugs you wanna use stored at various strategic points on the map, i would think. maybe there's a mod for it though?

The mod "Pick Up and Haul" allows you to tell colonists to pick things up, from what I've seen they don't tend to put them back down until you tell them to.

However it also changes how hauling works and is a major game changer - basically, pawns will now use their weight limit inventory to carry things and will load themselves until they're full (or nearby items are exhausted). I still like it because instead of a colonist grabbing a single pistol at the end of the raid I get to think of the comical colonist balancing pistols, rifles, and rocket launchers precariously while carrying them all back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HelloSailorSign posted:

The mod "Pick Up and Haul" allows you to tell colonists to pick things up, from what I've seen they don't tend to put them back down until you tell them to.

However it also changes how hauling works and is a major game changer - basically, pawns will now use their weight limit inventory to carry things and will load themselves until they're full (or nearby items are exhausted). I still like it because instead of a colonist grabbing a single pistol at the end of the raid I get to think of the comical colonist balancing pistols, rifles, and rocket launchers precariously while carrying them all back.