Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Eldred posted:

Aren't PSLF claims being rejected pretty frequently?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

therobit posted:

Edit: BUT ALSO HOW THE HELL can any view in Iowa be worth that?

Uh, parks and lakes are pretty?

E:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Here's how you loving self-post you goddamn chimp:

On Saturday my wife and I went to look at a $1.8M house that occupies the entirety of a 5 acre peninsula jutting out into a State Park. The peninsula is surrounded on 3 sides by protected land and thus enjoys panoramic 270 degree views of the lake. It has 6,000 square feet and an electric bill of more than $500 a month.

To swing this transaction I'd have to subdivide out 2 acres from the front (almost impossible without a sustainability and engineering survey - TREE LAW - and sell one to my mother and father in law and another to my brother and sister in law. Even building the whole thing out as a compound, my wife and I would be living hand to mouth for 4 years until we hit loan forgiveness, at which point (and only after this point) would the mortgage be less than 50% of our take-home pay every single month.

Don't you guys clear like $500k between the two of you? Your loan payments take up that much of your take-home?

Why don't you just get really BWM and take out a longer mortgage?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 29, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I (20sF) work in a law firm in S.C. All of my coworkers got w-2s and I got a 1099. We do the same job. (x-posted from /r/personalfinance)

(self.legaladvice)
submitted 2 days ago * by bonelessepanaphora

x-posted from /r/personalfinance

quote:

I was hired last summer as a paralegal at a small law firm with 2 partners that handle both civil and criminal cases. I was hired part time, as I am a student, with the potential to go to full time with benefits after graduation this spring.

I share an office with one other paralegal and we also share our space with their 2 law clerks. Aside from us, there is one associate attorney and his paralegal that share the office next to us. I mainly do work for the criminal lawyer and she mainly does work for the civil lawyer. We both share certain receptionist like tasks, as they have no receptionist. We answer phones, make coffee, greet clients, keep the kitchen area clean, and handle the mail.

Two weeks ago W2s are being given out and there isn’t one for me. I am told there was a mistake with mine and she will fix it and get it to me ASAP. A few days later I get an email to a turbo tax link with my 1099. What. I ask her why I’m getting this, as it was never discussed, and I had filled out paperwork for a W2, including on my direct deposit paperwork, that I submitted to them 4 different times before I actually got it. I let that slide because this woman is kind of an airhead and has spent a lot of time out of the country over the last six months (on personal vacations). I had also been getting hand written checks because they were changing banks, then payroll companies, then direct deposit companies (I’m pretty sure now these were lies but I never questioned it). Her response to me was that it’s ok, I won’t owe that much because she didn’t put the full amount I had earned on there, so she’s actually doing me a favor!

I quit on the spot. This is after they ‘forgot’ to pay me a week before Christmas. I wasn’t the only one that didn’t get paid at that time. The associate attorney’s paralegal didn’t get paid either, and she had only worked their for a month and a half. When she spoke to the civil attorney about this, a ‘mutual agreement was made that she put in her two weeks’. So first they forgot to pay me right before Christmas, which screwed up my holiday, and now I’m getting screwed with my taxes.

I never agreed to this. My apartment has huge income requirements to rent and renew leases, so no, that is not doing me a favor by not reporting all of my income. Also, I am in zero position to pay anything at the moment. I am used to getting a refund (I know why this is bad but it is not the topic of concern here). A big part of my job involved running errands for the firm with my own car (I hate driving and was not told when I got hired that I would be required to drive so much. I had to drive an 8 hour round trip a few months ago that caused me to miss my classes. I found out about this errand when I walked in the door that morning). I have had to make two pricey repairs on my car since I started working there and have put more miles on my car in six months than the 2 years I have owned it.

Is there anything I can do here? I’m hesitant to contact the IRS because she’s a lawyer and clearly can’t be trusted.

Edit: this is in South Carolina

quote:

She texted me not to be so upset because she ‘didn’t report all of my wages so I wouldn’t owe that much!’

I'd say she's gonna be fine based on the advice to take this to the IRS immediately and get her finder's fee for tax fraud.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

I (20sF) work in a law firm in S.C. All of my coworkers got w-2s and I got a 1099. We do the same job. (x-posted from /r/personalfinance)

(self.legaladvice)
submitted 2 days ago * by bonelessepanaphora

x-posted from /r/personalfinance

I'd say she's gonna be fine based on the advice to take this to the IRS immediately and get her finder's fee for tax fraud.
This is the good stuff.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I like how she quit right then and there.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Did I gently caress up? I bought a [boring car] with [boring fuel efficiency] at a [boring interest rate with totally standard payments]. I made a [totally boring down payment]. It was totaled when [I drove like a retard]. I drive [a totally ordinary boring number of miles]. I have [totally whack-rear end boring] optimism about the future [about which my fantasies are tedious to the point of nausea].

I made a [totally rational economic choice] with a [totally ordinary car manufacturer].

LISTEN BITCH, I WANNA HEAR ABOUT HOW YOU WENT $0 DOWN ON YOUR 84 MONTH 14% LOAN TO GET A TAYCAN, NERD.

Is this BWM mad libs?

quote:

Did I gently caress up? I bought a Ford Mustang Cobra GT-500 with transmission issues at 15% APR over 8 years at 50k. I put zero down because my production company is tying up a lot of my savings right now, but will totally take off soon along with my acting career. My previous car was totaled while I was eluding some cops during a sting bust. I'm constantly on the lam and drive about 100k miles a year. I think I can keep a low profile long enough to perform the car repairs myself. My ultimate goal is to finally go out in my last high speed chase in style and record the footage for the finale of a movie I'm currently producing.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:laugh: This sounds like a good one to follow:

What's the farthest underwater you've seen a customer on their vehicle?

quote:

I had an up last night, guy was looking at a used Tacoma. Had just moved from Cali, where he had bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4x2. I'm in the freezing, snowy, midwest. And he had, since August, put 27,000 miles on it. His job had been paying 3/4s of his payment but he gave it up to move back home so he needed to get out of it. Couldn't even find an appraisal number from Mannheim or anybody, but we think, in our region, a 4x2 with that many miles might be worth 35-40k.

Guy owes 61,500.

So what's the worst you've seen?

quote:

2014 Dodge Avenger worth $4500 owed $26,500. Lady had a car she was upside down in, bought another and rolled negative equity, then bought the avenger and rolled even more into it. Came to me asking if I could lower her payments....

Also I like how all of the other comments and OP’s post is about Chrysler products

quote:

not a car salesperson but my nephew's bosslady general manager rolled her crossover financing into a couple year old BMW X3. All told negative equity was around $22K according to my maths. She runs a store for a high-end brand and already had maxed out credit cards so I don't know how they let her do it.

quote:

A family that reupped two deals and collectively rolled $50000 neg collectively between two deals

quote:

2017 Jeep Patriot base 4x2, bought new as a leftover with no incentives. Rolled negative into it. 4 months later wanted out. 24k underwater.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BonerGhost posted:

E:

Don't you guys clear like $500k between the two of you? Your loan payments take up that much of your take-home?

God I hope they're clearing more living in Iowa. being in medicine in the Midwest is very GWM.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

therobit posted:

Edit: BUT ALSO HOW THE HELL can any view in Iowa be worth that?

It can only be Spirit lake in okoboji

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BonerGhost posted:

E:

I know, but along with self-posting a staple pd this thread is making fun of people who live in places like Iowa for the cheap housing and insist it is every bit af good ad living in lower Manhattan. I'm sure the $1.8MM, 6k square foot home is very nice.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

therobit posted:

I know, but along with self-posting a staple pd this thread is making fun of people who live in places like Iowa for the cheap housing and insist it is every bit af good ad living in lower Manhattan. I'm sure the $1.8MM, 6k square foot home is very nice.

Yeah, but, it’s Iowa man.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cacafuego posted:

Yeah, but, it’s Iowa man.

Exactly.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's a middle ground in the big midwest cities, which are more expensive than Buttfuck Iowa but actually have poo poo to do and are less expensive than the coasts. No, it's not Manhattan-level nice, but most people can't afford Manhattan-level nice.

The caveat is the snow, ice, and freezing temperatures every winter, which suck rear end and don't get any better the longer you live here. But I'd consider that a fair trade for sane housing prices, plus we don't have to deal with earthquakes or hurricanes wrecking our poo poo every so often.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

There's a middle ground in the big midwest cities, which are more expensive than Buttfuck Iowa but actually have poo poo to do and are less expensive than the coasts. No, it's not Manhattan-level nice, but most people can't afford Manhattan-level nice.

The caveat is the snow, ice, and freezing temperatures every winter, which suck rear end and don't get any better the longer you live here. But I'd consider that a fair trade for sane housing prices, plus we don't have to deal with earthquakes or hurricanes wrecking our poo poo every so often.

Your average winter does more damage than a bad earthquake year.

And we have a bad earthquake year maybe every twenty years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Haifisch posted:

Yes yes Minneapolis is cool and all. Counterpoint it currently "feels like" -50F there.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 30, 2019

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Alaska is always a choice. East coast CoL, midwest winters, California earthquakes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sparkmaster posted:

Alaska is always a choice. East coast CoL, midwest winters, California earthquakes.

And Jurassic Park mosquitoes

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Don't forget the polar bears, although those aren't too big a deal in the places where people actually live (but the moose and grizzlies are)

I genuinely expected one of those to be something like "I sold someone a car and next week they were back after driving it into a lake"

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

spwrozek posted:

Yes yes Minneapolis is cool and all. Counterpoint it currently "feels like" -50F there.
At first I was like "oh, 50, that's like a cold night for us right now, not too bad" and then I noticed the negative sign bahahaha

canyoneer posted:

And Jurassic Park mosquitoes
And $25 watermelons. Might as well just move to Canada at that point.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BWM is trying to heat an apt with ancient rear end, leaky double glazed windows when it's -33.

I can't get warm. Someone just kill me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Haifisch posted:

Exactly, but there are a lot of people convinced cramming themselves in to $2000/per person shared apartments in the bay area is preferable.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Co-worker is taking a couple of vacation days to move from a 1st floor apartment in her building to a penthouse apartment in the same building.

The 1st floor apartment is 2k a month. The penthouse apartment is $2,700 a month.

I don't know her exact salary, but based on title, position, and tenure it's probably around 50k a year. Meaning her take home is probably around 3k a month.

Her fiance makes less than that.

She has a BMW as well.

I have no idea how this would work.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

God I hope they're clearing more living in Iowa. being in medicine in the Midwest is very GWM.

We're both in academics :argh:

Also we put > $100k away for retirement every year, so a $10k PITI would put a real dent in our take home.

Also the rest of the family goes to look at the house on Saturday :getin:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

moana posted:

At first I was like "oh, 50, that's like a cold night for us right now, not too bad" and then I noticed the negative sign bahahaha

And $25 watermelons. Might as well just move to Canada at that point.

Depends where in Canada. We haven't had a real day of snow in Vancouver yet this winter. But living here is as BWM as you can get for cost of living next to Hong Kong.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dillbag posted:

Depends where in Canada. We haven't had a real day of snow in Vancouver yet this winter. But living here is as BWM as you can get for cost of living next to Hong Kong.

Is HK equivalent/worse than Bay Area? I don't really hear HK when the insane COL conversations happen.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I have nothing to offer except anecdotal evidence, but someone told me one of their friends bought a 750sqft non-luxury apartment in HK for like 1.25 million, and pretty much because of the school system

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sure, [Region] is expensive, but they don't even have [Regional Chain] Burger

And the beer there is all the same

And the drivers are bad

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Murderball posted:

I have nothing to offer except anecdotal evidence, but someone told me one of their friends bought a 750sqft non-luxury apartment in HK for like 1.25 million, and pretty much because of the school system

That's only like 200k USD

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That's only like 200k USD

Whoops, 1.25 USD

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sure, [Region] is expensive, but they don't even have [Regional Chain] Burger

And the beer there is all the same

And the drivers are bad

And the weather. Changes every five minutes, it does

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Murderball posted:

And the weather. Changes every five minutes, it does
This is absolutely true in Chicago, where we're currently at -40f with wind chill and will be up to 40f with rain over the weekend. What the gently caress.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Warm yourself by holding your hands over a freshly baked pizza casserole

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warm yourself by holding your hands over a freshly baked pizza casserole
"Da Bears," etc.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We're both in academics :argh:

Also we put > $100k away for retirement every year

So you're both football coaches then?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

blackmet posted:

Co-worker is taking a couple of vacation days to move from a 1st floor apartment in her building to a penthouse apartment in the same building.

The 1st floor apartment is 2k a month. The penthouse apartment is $2,700 a month.

I don't know her exact salary, but based on title, position, and tenure it's probably around 50k a year. Meaning her take home is probably around 3k a month.

She has a BMW as well.

A 35% premium for a penthouse apartment might be nice or it might be terrible. That could be rated a BWM toss up or 2.5 out of 5 Freckles.

The BMW is more worrisome. At least apartments don’t require trips to a dealership.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The wisest BMW owners get the 50,000 mile service package

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

blackmet posted:

She has a BMW as well.

Well when it all come crashing down the jump will be easier

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The wisest BMW owners get the 50,000 mile service package
Is that where you sell it after 50,000 miles and get a less lovely-maintenance vehicle?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Volmarias posted:

So you're both football coaches then?

Academic medicine*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hoodwinker posted:

Is that where you sell it after 50,000 miles and get a less lovely-maintenance vehicle?

:goonsay: Consumer Reports has rated the 2 Series as not only the most reliable BMW, but one of their top 7 most reliable cars on the road!