Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, given this thread's hard-on for seaplanes: https://www.neam.org/ac-sikorsky-vs44.php

*I* kinda want to see this thing now. A transatlantic seaplane built by a company famous for helicopters. Quite pro-click, check the bottom of the page for a link to a 360 panorama of the cockpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Kathmandu Q400 crash was due to a emotionally unstable pilot. The copilot was a rookie as well, so she probably didnt dare to intervene.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/28/nepal-plane-crash-caused-by-emotionally-disturbed-captain

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

What could a co-pilot do to stop an emotionally u stable pilot from doing stupid poo poo like crash into a mountain?

Genuine question, I have no idea how cockpits etc work.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Molentik posted:

What could a co-pilot do to stop an emotionally u stable pilot from doing stupid poo poo like crash into a mountain?

Try to talk them down, or if there's no time, attempt to incapacitate them with a large, heavy object applied to the side of the head. When done properly, it will fulfill the nutter's wish for death and everyone else's wish to continue living.

People who take others with them during suicide attempts are the absolute worst specimens of humanity.

EDIT: In this case it doesn't seem like he was actively suicidal that we know of, so that makes the issue a little less clear. He was distraught and distracted throughout the flight, in which case I think it would be prudent for the first officer act as Pilot Flying, declare a medical emergency, and try to land somewhere that doesn't involve a particularly difficult approach that requires both pilots to be at the top of their game.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 28, 2019

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

Molentik posted:

Not enough.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Molentik posted:

Hope he isn't strapped in

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Molentik posted:

If they were legitimately trying to crash the plane there’s a crash axe that could also be used as a weapon.

I’d probably also unlock the cockpit door at that point and have the FAs help subdue the CA as well.

But really there’s no training that we go through for such a scenario.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, given this thread's hard-on for seaplanes: https://www.neam.org/ac-sikorsky-vs44.php

*I* kinda want to see this thing now. A transatlantic seaplane built by a company famous for helicopters. Quite pro-click, check the bottom of the page for a link to a 360 panorama of the cockpit.

When that airplane was built, Sikorsky was known for flying boats. Helicopters were the side-biz.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PT6A posted:

Try to talk them down, or if there's no time, attempt to incapacitate them with a large, heavy object applied to the side of the head. When done properly, it will fulfill the nutter's wish for death and everyone else's wish to continue living.

Also highly depends on how many helping hands there are, assuming you didn't get locked out of the flight deck when you went to take a poo poo.

In a plane carrying passengers with a full flight crew, you're probably good. There's a whole lot of people vested in not dying on board.
In a cargo plane with maybe 1-2 other people on board, not so much... just ask the flight crew of FedEx 705.

They made it, but they'll never fly professionally again.

xergm fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 28, 2019

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

MrYenko posted:

When that airplane was built, Sikorsky was known for flying boats. Helicopters were the side-biz.

Sikorsky also built the first plane with 4 engines, the S-21.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

There's been a Skycrane hull loss

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/28/22/05/victoria-news-water-bombing-plane-crash-jericho-mount-gregory-thomson-dam-bushfires

The good news:

quote:

The three crew members – two pilots and an engineer – all safely escaped the aircraft and swam to the edge of the Thomson Dam, which is located next to Mount Gregory.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

People who take others with them during suicide attempts are the absolute worst specimens of humanity.

EDIT: In this case it doesn't seem like he was actively suicidal that we know of, so that makes the issue a little less clear. He was distraught and distracted throughout the flight, in which case I think it would be prudent for the first officer act as Pilot Flying, declare a medical emergency, and try to land somewhere that doesn't involve a particularly difficult approach that requires both pilots to be at the top of their game.

To be clear, the FO was the one flying.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Video of it having a swim here:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-29/firefighting-water-bomber-helicopter-crashes-in-gippsland-dam/10757292

6 other aircranes nationally have been grounded, which is not good news given today is a warm one and there are still a lot of fires around.

Site of the crash, middle of loving nowhere.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 29, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

:(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Charles posted:

To be clear, the FO was the one flying.

Yes, the other important part of that sentence was "declare a medical emergency and divert to somewhere without a super-challenging approach that probably requires both pilots to be at the top of their game."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tentative ID: former Republic SeeBee

marumaru
May 20, 2013

This Star Citizen weirdo asked on Twitter what landing gear this comes from (if it even is real) and now I really want to know

Any guesses? Is it just a dumb prop? I've been trying to figure it out but I don't really even know where to start

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Inacio posted:

This Star Citizen weirdo asked on Twitter what landing gear this comes from (if it even is real) and now I really want to know

Any guesses? Is it just a dumb prop? I've been trying to figure it out but I don't really even know where to start

It looks like a bodge job. It doesn't look like that linked mechanism is built to support the (even if partial) weight of an airplane that would use that tire size.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ola posted:

It looks like a bodge job. It doesn't look like that linked mechanism is built to support the (even if partial) weight of an airplane that would use that tire size.

So a Q400 main then.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Brief update on the ANA dual engine shutdown:
The TCMA (thrust control malfunction accommodation) system will shut down an engine on the ground to protect against runaway or high uncommanded thrust, such as in the event of an RTO where the engine stays at high thrust. This is an FAA required system due to some incident back in the late 90s.
What happened with ANA appears to be as reported, retarding the throttles too soon after landing in order to apply reversers. There's some timer logic in the EEC which in some specific scenarios can cause the system to activate after landing.
Due to the differing software logic, GEnX isn't affected by the conditions seen in the ANA incident. It also can't happen in flight.
There was one prior occurrence in 2016 where this happened, a safety review was conducted and ultimately the only action was an EEC software update for the Trent 1000s that came out in Q4 2017.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 29, 2019

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Sikorsky also built the first plane with 4 engines, the S-21.

quote:

While parked on the runway on 23 June 1913, the aircraft was crushed by an engine that fell off a single-seat Morane aircraft during a landing.

That must have been an interesting day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That skycrane in lake photo reminds me of a black and white pic I saw, possibly WWI, of a dead horse stuck in the mud somewhat upside down.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hmm, not really seeing it.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's a former Supermarine Walrus hull:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this poo poo been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ev29gcUAk0

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

PhotoKirk posted:

That must have been an interesting day.

The S-21—S-27 series also had one particular feature that I feel has been sorely lacking in aviation since then:

A back deck/patio area :btroll:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Lol

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The difference is that helicopters will gladly self-terminate.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
"I know now why you cry" (that is, autorotations, vortex ring state, loss of tail rotor effectiveness, instability about all axes, mast bumping...)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 29, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ola posted:

Yeah what looked weird to me was that that thing looks like it'd snap in half if you put a car on top of it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol
https://twitter.com/Stu_artaviation/status/1090295924759425025

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vessbot posted:

"I know now why you cry" (that is, autorotations, vortex ring state, loss of tail rotor effectiveness, instability about all axes, mast bumping...)

"Poor ol' JetRanger, thought of quartering winds and died..."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

_o/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cat Mattress posted:

Dutch people working on a ring-wing aircraft concept, with the worst shoehorning of an acronym I've ever seen: "Prandtlplane ARchitecture for the Sustainable Improvement of Future AirpLanes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W521IT6PcM

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hang on let me do a clearing turn first *flys a tight 360 until fuel starvation*

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

He might be entering a dangerous area.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BalloonFish posted:

It's a former Supermarine Walrus hull:

Ah, thanks.

Can anybody ID this aircraft? Beechcraft Musketeer?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Finger Prince posted:

Brief update on the ANA dual engine shutdown:
The TCMA (thrust control malfunction accommodation) system will shut down an engine on the ground to protect against runaway or high uncommanded thrust, such as in the event of an RTO where the engine stays at high thrust. This is an FAA required system due to some incident back in the late 90s.
What happened with ANA appears to be as reported, retarding the throttles too soon after landing in order to apply reversers. There's some timer logic in the EEC which in some specific scenarios can cause the system to activate after landing.
Due to the differing software logic, GEnX isn't affected by the conditions seen in the ANA incident. It also can't happen in flight.
There was one prior occurrence in 2016 where this happened, a safety review was conducted and ultimately the only action was an EEC software update for the Trent 1000s that came out in Q4 2017.

so am i correct if i interpret this as a non-issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ah, thanks.

Can anybody ID this aircraft? Beechcraft Musketeer?

Looks like an SF.260? Definitely not a Musketeer. The tip tanks make me think 260, but the area around the cockpit looks weird. But that might be a reflection.