Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why is Flygon a ground type. Its pre-evos I understand but isn’t the thing basically a giant dragonfly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Chieves posted:

It doesn't help that just about everything in Gen I was Rock/Ground anyways.

that's a bit overdramatic, it was just 3 lines (Onix, Golem and Rhydon)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

All rock types in gen 1 are also ground type.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Amppelix posted:

All rock types in gen 1 are also ground type.

Or water type. In either case grass was a guaranteed quad weakness.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh right. forgot about the fossils.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Chieves posted:

It doesn't help that just about everything in Gen I was Rock/Ground anyways.

Not really. You had 2 lines of Water/Rock, 1 Rock/Flying, 2 pure ground, 2 Ground/Poison and only 3 Rock/Ground.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Vegetable posted:

Why is Flygon a ground type. Its pre-evos I understand but isn’t the thing basically a giant dragonfly

Because making every Dragon part Flying is boring. And it's an adult Antlion.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The Bee posted:

Or water type. In either case grass was a guaranteed quad weakness.

Aerodactyl

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

why is golurk ground and not rock

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
clay is Ground-type, cf. Baltoy/Claydol

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I found the credits in that fishing game from earlier. The character is just designed in a similar art style to the Pokemon games, not actually drawn by the freelance guy. The game seems like an average fishing game and the character is just the player's assistant only appearing in menus.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Vegetable posted:

I’m cool with it’s current type, but have always wondered why it isn’t Bug since its entire line are insects. You’d think it’d go something like Bug/Ground Trapinch and Vibrava then become Bug/Dragon as Flygon.

I guess it keeps the Ground type because it’s associated with the desert and all, but it would probably be more fitting to have the unique combo of Bug/Dragon and swap its ability with something that makes it immune to sandstorms. As it is now, Garchomp totally overshadows it in both of its types statistically and behaviorally.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ground = Earth stuff attached to the ground.

Rock = earth stuff you can throw.

That's why flying types are immune to ground attacks, but you can hit them super hard with rocks.

Still seems kind of redundant. A single Earth type would really be much simpler since the two are still really similar. Puls it would avoid the question as why why a thrown bone does nothing to a bird, but a stone of equal mass sends it crashing down, but talking about why immunities make no sense with certain moves would keep us here all day.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

Still seems kind of redundant. A single Earth type would really be much simpler since the two are still really similar. Puls it would avoid the question as why why a thrown bone does nothing to a bird, but a stone of equal mass sends it crashing down, but talking about why immunities make no sense with certain moves would keep us here all day.

I suspect the interaction with flying is the main reason that the Ground/Rock distinction exists

Either earthquakes hit airborne enemies or birds are immune to rocks, take your pick

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Earthquake already hits quite a bunch of airborne mons it shouldn't be able to reach, like Magnezone and Mega Altaria

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

galagazombie posted:

There's also the problem of Rock vs. Ground. Which I am convinced was born out of some miscommunication during Gen 1's development. While they're not Identical, their type matches are just way too similar to the point they don't feel like they play differently. The problem even continues thematically. There's not a single Pokemon of either type that wouldn't make sense if the types were condensed. If you told someone that Sandslash was Rock or that Stakataka was Ground they wouldn't have cause to doubt you.

Dark/Ghost, Rock/Ground, and Grass/Bug are so functionally similar it really does make you wonder, but part of it is simply flavor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Golden Gael posted:

Dark/Ghost, Rock/Ground, and Grass/Bug are so functionally similar it really does make you wonder, but part of it is simply flavor.

Plants vs bugs is pretty significantly different. They fill radically different niches.

And Dark/Ghost doesn't overlap that much. No more than Ghost does with Psychic.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Golden Gael posted:

Dark is usually physical, dirty fighting while Ghost has almost all the shadowy "energy" attacks, so they're different enough. It does see some overlap, though with moves like Night Daze.

I'm not so sure about Grass and Bug, but that's more because Bug has always been kind of a weird thing to make an entire type around. What makes something "Bug" elemental? At that point, why not toss in Reptile or Mammal as elements? That's not even getting into all the insectoid Pokemon that aren't given the type, but then we'd have to work with all the Grass types that aren't plants at all and that would spiral into endless arguing.

That said, I could still see all these pairs be combined into a Shadow, Earth, and Nature type, respectively.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 30, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zore posted:

Plants vs bugs is pretty significantly different. They fill radically different niches.

And Dark/Ghost doesn't overlap that much. No more than Ghost does with Psychic.

Mechanically, they COMPLETELY overlap. Dark and Ghost both hit only two types super-effectively, and they're the same two types.

For the purposes of super-effective coverage, having both a Ghost and a Dark-type attack is completely redundant and that bugs me more than it should.

Though I understand the discussion is more about thematics.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Mechanically, they COMPLETELY overlap. Dark and Ghost both hit only two types super-effectively, and they're the same two types.

For the purposes of super-effective coverage, having both a Ghost and a Dark-type attack is completely redundant and that bugs me more than it should.

Though I understand the discussion is more about thematics.

Its not a complete overlap. Normal is immune to Ghost but hit regularly by Dark and Ghost hits Fairy and Fighting.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zore posted:

Its not a complete overlap. Normal is immune to Ghost but hit regularly by Dark and Ghost hits Fairy and Fighting.

I just mean for the purposes of super-effective coverage - if you're looking at what the attacks are WEAK against as well as what they're super-effective against, then there are differences. But it still bugs me that they both hit the same two types super-effectively.

If all you're looking at is Super-Effective, the two are offensively the same.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I always assumed geodude / graveler / golem was rock on the outside, dirt on the inside. I guess I feel that way for the rhyhorn series too.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BlazetheInferno posted:

I just mean for the purposes of super-effective coverage - if you're looking at what the attacks are WEAK against as well as what they're super-effective against, then there are differences. But it still bugs me that they both hit the same two types super-effectively.

If all you're looking at is Super-Effective, the two are offensively the same.

“They’re exactly the same, as long as you use this one arbitrary metric and ignore others” is not a very good criticism.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Ariong posted:

“They’re exactly the same, as long as you use this one arbitrary metric and ignore others” is not a very good criticism.

"this is the way in which they are the same. And I think, fair to say, it's a significant way."

better?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee sold 10 million units from launch until December 31st.

Ultra Sun and Moon are at 8.28 million.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 31, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dehry posted:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee sold 10 million units from launch until December 31st.

Ultra Sun and Moon are at 8.28 million.

Regular Sun and Moon were at 14.69 million in the same timeframe.

So they sold better than a third version, not as much as a mainline game. Some of that probably has to do with the Switch not having as much hardware sold as the 3DS though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In other words we're definitely getting Let's Go 2. If they do 2nd Gen I wonder what starter they'd use. Marill and Togepi?

EDIT: Wobbuffett and Dunsparce

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 31, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

In other words we're definitely getting Let's Go 2. If they do 2nd Gen I wonder what starter they'd use. Marill and Togepi?

EDIT: Wobbuffett and Dunsparce
Marill and Phanpy would be my dream but it'll probably be those two, yeah

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I think it'd probably be something like;

Gen II: Marrill and Togepi
Gen III: Ralts(or Gardevoir?) and Absol
Gen IV: Lucario and Munchlax
Gen V: Zorua and Scraggy
Gen VI: Goomy and Inkay
Gen VII: Mimikyu and Rockruff

I'm a little iffy on Scraggy and Inkay but confident about the rest.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

http://www.colonsemicolon.com

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
eevee and unown

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Zore posted:

I like most of these but you seem to have accidentally selected some big boys that can't fit comfortably on the head or shoulder. I think that's gotta be a dealbreaker.

I'm not sure how big Scraggy is actually but I don't give a gently caress he's awesome and deserves the cover

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

less laughter posted:

Common and Semicolon

The unowns were already unimaginative

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zore posted:

Does mean I'll never get Lets Go: Bidoof?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The White Dragon posted:

eevee and unown

Unown and Unown.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I like most of these but you seem to have accidentally selected some big boys that can't fit comfortably on the head or shoulder. I think that's gotta be a dealbreaker.

Clearly it's the best possible excuse to finally let us play a big buff character that can easily carry a big Pokemon.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

galagazombie posted:

There's also the problem of Rock vs. Ground. Which I am convinced was born out of some miscommunication during Gen 1's development. While they're not Identical, their type matches are just way too similar to the point they don't feel like they play differently. The problem even continues thematically. There's not a single Pokemon of either type that wouldn't make sense if the types were condensed. If you told someone that Sandslash was Rock or that Stakataka was Ground they wouldn't have cause to doubt you.

Something like this is probably pretty likely. It seems as though stuff like Dragon types and dual types were added late in development, which is why you get weird bugs for the super effective prompt, why missigno has a bird type move, why almost every grass type also seems to be poison type, etc

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Straight White Shark posted:

I suspect the interaction with flying is the main reason that the Ground/Rock distinction exists

Either earthquakes hit airborne enemies or birds are immune to rocks, take your pick

They should split it down like physical/special, so moves like bonemerang actually hit flying types, moves like earthquake continue to miss flying types.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

That seems way more complicated than rock and ground just being separate types.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

That seems way more complicated than rock and ground just being separate types.

Yeah, true, the game is already complex enough as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Please