Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Book piracy was a really small niche in the '90s, all things considered, and wouldn't really hit until the year 2000 (though it wasn't full-swing until the mid-2000s). The CCG craze probably did the most to damage RPG sales, as it took money and attention away from RPGs in general.

I feel the videogame industry's growth after the 80's crash was also a sizable factor too. That being said, if the coming AAA gaming crash is real, this is good news for TRPGs to capitalize (lol, lmfao)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
My local gaming store, mind it's just the one I go to, is a decent mix of CCG (let's be real, I mean Magic: The Gathering), wargaming, and TTRPG with some board games mixed in. The fact that it has the sheer amount of space to accommodate everything helps I imagine.

They've been recently offering 3rd party D&D products, Kobold Press and the like. I'd jump to buy them... if I didn't already own them, but it is good to see. When it comes to gaming in general I've actually got a lot of good options, and overall while there are issues (such as rapid leveling and item bloat), I much prefer my local organized play compared to something like Adventure League. It lets people actually run their own games which keeps it varied.

Amusingly it does mean I've not really played much in the way of official modules.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

You know, the hour Justin Alexander spent on Twitter last night arguing that Numenera's intrusion mechanic is exciting GM tech that's completely unrelated to Fate compels suggests that I was dead wrong a few pages back.

https://twitter.com/boymonster/status/1090430046823636992

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Oh no, intrusions are much better than compels. They can be about anything, not just things the player defined as their character concepts, and there’s no scaling or guidelines for scaling of their effects. So you can screw the players about anything anytime, and social pressure them into accepting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What was the Numenera mechanic that was like "You have this power theme, and sometimes something stupid randomly happens?"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

lol

Extremely reassuring for Technoir and any other game he's getting his idiotic mits on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/hexcrawl/status/1090449214625189888
https://twitter.com/hexcrawl/status/1090452496563273728

No guys don't you see? They're a tool to answer all those disruptive things those dirty players do and allow you to break the rules without allowing your players to. Who plays games to have narrative agency anyway?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know which term I hate more; "disassociated mechanics" or "empowering the GM".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's literally saying "It's permission to screw over the PCs at random! And sure you can do that anyway, but since it's written into the book they can't complain!"

A bunch of games in the 90s did this under the guise of making the GM a Master Storyteller.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Thanlis posted:

You know, the hour Justin Alexander spent on Twitter last night arguing

Arguing against the person who was in charge of the product lines he just took over BTW.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Halloween Jack posted:

What was the Numenera mechanic that was like "You have this power theme, and sometimes something stupid randomly happens?"

It’s literally just “the GM can screw you if they bribe you with an XP for them and one for another player”.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I just want to note that the GM can compel characters using any aspect that happens to be relevant in the scene. So there’s literally no advantage to intrusions.

EDIT: Also,

FATE SRD posted:

The [GM] can always compel for free, and any player can propose a compel on his or her own character for free.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 30, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Like I said earlier, as long as he's not like launching a new Ars Magica line that he's got rules input on he's in charge of a bunch of properties that he can't really damage, unless Atlas Games is going to just chuck the psuedo-Auteur-driven model they've got going on and let him start cranking out Unknown Armies books or something

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

GM intrusons also happen every time a player rolls a 1 on a d20. This is a freebie intrusion, too, that the player doesn't get XP for. PCs in Cipher games have a Type (class), Descriptor (basically a profession/trait bonus), and a Focus (basically the D&D 4e themes). Each focus has suggestions for what kind of GM intrusons can happen. So like, if your focus is about using a bow, one of the suggested intrusions is "you shoot another character."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, right, the Connections play into the Intrusions. And it's all dumb as hell.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Someone turn "mechanical lubricant" into the new pop game philosophy term

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Like I said earlier, as long as he's not like launching a new Ars Magica line that he's got rules input on he's in charge of a bunch of properties that he can't really damage, unless Atlas Games is going to just chuck the psuedo-Auteur-driven model they've got going on and let him start cranking out Unknown Armies books or something
Being in charge of Atlas' RPG lines is a little like being in charge of the Austrian navy. Of the four current gamelines, three are moribund (Ars Magica 5E finished up as a complete line and is eternally available in PDF, Feng Shui 2E and Unknown Armies 3E wrapped up their Kickstarter promises and doesn't seem to have anything new on the horizon) and one is about to launch a new edition (Over The Edge 3E, which has a completed draft and is trundling towards Kickstarter release).

I'm not sure what exactly it is he'll be working on. OTE modules and adventures?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The GM's screen is the mechanical lubricant because you can lie about your dice rolls if you actually needed an excuse for controlling what happens in a game

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I just want to note that the GM can compel characters using any aspect that happens to be relevant in the scene. So there’s literally no advantage to intrusions.
Also the game mechanical effect of Compels is well-defined, whereas in the sample adventure in the original Numenera core book the effects of GM intrusions can range from "Character hears an annoying voice which nobody else notices" to "Character is possessed by the big bad in the last fight and has to fight the rest of the party, because I'm Monte Cook and somehow I still don't understand how action economy can wreck the balance of a fight".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can the GM use a Compel of "Rocks fall: everyone dies"?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Leperflesh posted:

Can the GM use a Compel of "Rocks fall: everyone dies"?

Only in a game where death isn't the end of play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So then this system, with Compels, is actually more restrictive of GM power than, say, old-school D&D. At least, old-school D&D how she was played, not sure if the rules made the GM's absolute power explicit.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

DalaranJ posted:

Arguing against the person who was in charge of the product lines he just took over BTW.

Yeah, you can almost hear the incredulity in Banks' voice.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Someone turn "mechanical lubricant" into the new pop game philosophy term

Does "mechanical lubricant" beget "mechanical santorum"?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

GM intrusons also happen every time a player rolls a 1 on a d20. This is a freebie intrusion, too, that the player doesn't get XP for. PCs in Cipher games have a Type (class), Descriptor (basically a profession/trait bonus), and a Focus (basically the D&D 4e themes). Each focus has suggestions for what kind of GM intrusons can happen. So like, if your focus is about using a bow, one of the suggested intrusions is "you shoot another character."

Ah, one of my favorites, the "I don't understand why critical failures are bad in a system where people can trigger failures at radically different rates,'' pitfall

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Darwinism posted:

Ah, one of my favorites, the "I don't understand why critical failures are bad in a system where people can trigger failures at radically different rates,'' pitfall

"That's the thing about chaos...it's fair."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arthil posted:

My local gaming store, mind it's just the one I go to, is a decent mix of CCG (let's be real, I mean Magic: The Gathering), wargaming, and TTRPG with some board games mixed in. The fact that it has the sheer amount of space to accommodate everything helps I imagine.

They've been recently offering 3rd party D&D products, Kobold Press and the like. I'd jump to buy them... if I didn't already own them, but it is good to see. When it comes to gaming in general I've actually got a lot of good options, and overall while there are issues (such as rapid leveling and item bloat), I much prefer my local organized play compared to something like Adventure League. It lets people actually run their own games which keeps it varied.

Amusingly it does mean I've not really played much in the way of official modules.
Do you have a gaming store that doesn't rely on yu-gi-oh money from middle schools for a substantial portion of its operating cost?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Terrible Opinions posted:

Do you have a gaming store that doesn't rely on yu-gi-oh money from middle schools for a substantial portion of its operating cost?

Over here it's DBZ money.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Thanlis posted:

You know, the hour Justin Alexander spent on Twitter last night arguing that Numenera's intrusion mechanic is exciting GM tech that's completely unrelated to Fate compels suggests that I was dead wrong a few pages back.

https://twitter.com/boymonster/status/1090430046823636992

Man Justin Alexander is dumber than I remembered.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
"GM intrusion! You drop your sword."
"What? No I don't. I pay XP to keep a hold on it."
"Very well. GM intrusion! You drop your sword. I cannot help but notice that you are currently out of XP."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I only just noticed that he specified "the last 20 years" and... Jesus he's so wrong it's unreal.

Mechanial innovations in roleplaying since 1998 covers the d20 system, Burning Wheel, pretty much everything the Forge ever did, the X Card and its successors, PbtA, plus a bunch of other stuff that I've either forgotten or I'm not aware of.

Love them or hate them, any single example from that list was a greater innovation than 'GM Intrusion', which isn't even an innovation.

This is why you shouldn't listen to RPG theory from people who have never played anything but D&D or games one step removed from D&D.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

So then this system, with Compels, is actually more restrictive of GM power than, say, old-school D&D. At least, old-school D&D how she was played, not sure if the rules made the GM's absolute power explicit.

The key thing with compels and situation aspects (aka "other poo poo happening in context" like Oh God, Everything's On Fire!) is that (a) the stuff that directly pulls decisions out of player hands can be refused if they're willing to give up the fate point they'd otherwise get and (b) past that they have to fit into the buff/debuff framework in a sanely describable way, so "rocks fall everybody dies" only works if it can apply as a buff/debuff kind of thing rather than inherently always controlling (or stopping) behavior over the long term (because if a new aspect is added, the player can refuse further compels on it).

So, like, maybe the game's got a Death Becomes Her thing going on, and "rocks fall" leads to a new I'd Lose My Head If It Wasn't Stapled On consequence (basically an aspect-but-bad) that the GM can compel later to make you lose your head under the table when guests are over for dinner. You take the point and agree and everybody else has to Munster it up to try and keep the Smiths from noticing while you're trying to get your head on again.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 31, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

"GM intrusion! You drop your sword."
"What? No I don't. I pay XP to keep a hold on it."
"Very well. GM intrusion! You drop your sword. I cannot help but notice that you are currently out of XP."
I believe that some FATE versions include an optional rule where you can go into FATE point debt to buy your way out of compels you don't want, which makes me happier about the mechanic than I'd otherwise be - it means that even if you're out of points you at least have the option to say "No, I'm really not feeling it", which I think is useful if you're tired and don't feel up to the spotlight time but still want to participate in the game because you've been looking forward to it all week, or you're tired of side plots and shenanigans holding up the main plot and you just want to get on with it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I mean, even setting aside his misplaced admiration for INTRUSIONS, it's part of a tweet thread where he's talking about how great and innovative Numenara is. I mean Holy poo poo.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I mean, even setting aside his misplaced admiration for INTRUSIONS, it's part of a tweet thread where he's talking about how great and innovative Numenara is. I mean Holy poo poo.

Numenera's greatest invention is a title which it's even more tempting to do the Muppet "doot-doot, doo-doo-doo" after than "In Nomine".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I will admit, the idea that magic stuff all contains Weirdness and you can't go around carrying too much Weirdness or it causes problems, is not a bad way to have an in-universe limit on hauling magic items around.

The way he goes about it and describes it is very on-the-nose and uninspiring, which I find to be a fair description of everything in his body of work that I'm familiar with. It's also contrary to the Clarke's Law vibe of Dying Earth fiction, because it means every magic item ultimately works according to the same underlying mechanism.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 31, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cyphers themselves are a concept derived from Monte Cook's 3e home games where he'd regularly hand out scrolls of various different spells with the intention of people using them in off-the-wall ways, like a Scroll of Jump to scale a particularly important wall.

Numenera just converts them into magitech artifacts.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If Monte Cook thinks using a scroll of jump to jump over something is particularly clever or unexpected, it really says a lot about him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Achmed Jones posted:

If Monte Cook thinks using a scroll of jump to jump over something is particularly clever or unexpected, it really says a lot about him.

Unless he thinks it's the act of making a scroll of jump is itself somehow the clever thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm not trying to go to bat for Cook here or anything, but the idea is that ... a Fighter wouldn't normally be able to do that, and maybe the default loot rules wouldn't let you get the scrolls that often, so him handing out the scrolls more often and with an eye towards "utility" effects is supposed to be special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
All of this could be avoided if the Fighter just played the game properly as a caster of some sort.