Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'll be putting my my notice Friday and I'm very excited about it. I am not excited about moving though. I've got a good relocation package but I've already filled out a ton of forms and there's no end in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

bolind posted:

Signed the contract for a new job today! It's going to be pretty sweet, building up and entirely new site.

Now for the sucky part, giving notice...

:yotj:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I currently have a tungsten wedding ring but seeing a pic of a degloving injury has me looking at silicone rings. I don't do that much work on the cars/bike, and I have an office job, so I'm not sure if I'd really get into a situation where that would be possible. Maybe crashing the bike, but I always wear good gloves. Any horror stories on how common it can be from mundane things?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

I currently have a tungsten wedding ring but seeing a pic of a degloving injury has me looking at silicone rings. I don't do that much work on the cars/bike, and I have an office job, so I'm not sure if I'd really get into a situation where that would be possible. Maybe crashing the bike, but I always wear good gloves. Any horror stories on how common it can be from mundane things?

Unrelated to wedding rings, I nearly degloved one of my fingers the other day at work on some high tension material.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Jealous of all of you getting to give notice. I had a botched phone interview today due to whatever call-forwarding deal their company has going on. They have a disclaimer on the automated e-mail that schedules phone interviews about phones with call screening on them interfering with their calls...perhaps they should maybe consider looking into that on their end? The guy called me three times and each time it would ring once before dropping. And wouldn't leave anything but his first name and the call-back number for the general Talent Acquisition hotline in his voicemails, so they couldn't just transfer me to him at all, and now I have to wait until next Monday.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MomJeans420 posted:

My only horror story is about the time I picked up a heavy bag and it squeezed my fingers together against my ring and that was uncomfortable. I'm wearing a silicone right right now, because I have no idea what happened to my original wedding ring. It came off some time on a day when my wife and I were out together, and neither of us could find it. My silicone ring was $15 on Amazon and it looks pretty decent, so I'm just rolling with it until I feel like picking out a new nice ring.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MomJeans420 posted:

I broke my tungsten wedding band last month by slapping it down on a granite countertop. They're brittle, but could definitely snag if pulled. My wife's father is missing a ring finger from a random accident -- he was jumping up to unhook a soccer goal net from the top of the frame and got it caught. It didn't deglove, but it tore enough flesh that it didn't heal and they had to amputate.

Since I've been married, I don't do any work with any jewelry at all on. I'm in an instinctive habit of taking my ring off and putting it in my pocket whenever I do any work at all. It's to the point that I often notice that my ring's gone... so I just go get it from the last pair of pants/shorts I was wearing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
All this degloving talk makes me think that maybe we should wear wedding Gauntlets instead.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My ring (tungsten carbine) goes in the top of the rollaway toolbox when I start working on stuff, usually. I’m terrified of degloving.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Darchangel posted:

My ring (tungsten carbine) goes in the top of the rollaway toolbox when I start working on stuff, usually. I’m terrified of degloving.

*nervously shoves bmw-branded mechanics cockring to back of toolbox* hahaha yeah me too, I mean who wouldn't that's just common sense lol

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm not bothered in the slightest by degloving potential. I always wear gloves when working on anything even close to being a hazard anyway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MomJeans420 posted:

My Dad's had the same gold ring for 35+ years, works with his hands at home/work and still has skin on his fingers. Wife saw someone degloved at work so she bought me a silicone.

The snowpocalypse they predicted for Knoxville area once again was next to nothing. Rained most of the night, transitioned to snow around 6am then stopped by 10. By noon the roads were dry. So much for a snow day.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My brother and I designed my ring right before my wedding. Didn't polish the machine marks and have let it naturally age. It's just a white gold band. I should have gotten it in yellow gold.

Just get it sized appropriately and then you only have to wear it when you want to, and when you're working you don't have to worry about degloving. That's at least a nice part about gold.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Currently 0°F and falling here in Northern IL, supposed to bottom out at a predicted low of -27°F by 8am tomorrow morning.

My company isn't making anybody come in - not like my car would even crank at thirty below, when it's already been struggling at 5.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The best thing about silicone rings is that they're far more comfortable than any metal. Also come in rad colors.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
who here knows ls engines, chasing weights and advice on ls1/2/3's specifically

edit: also physical size would be handy

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 30, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't have specifics but all three of those should be identical in terms of weight and dimensions, ignoring the exhaust/intake manifolds and the accessory drives (which vary based on the car they're from - LS1/2/3 Corvettes all have the same belt spacing, for example, but it's different from fourthgen/GTO and truck/new Camaro)

Edit: also oil pans. But literally any part of a LS that changes the dimensions can be swapped with the part from a different application.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 30, 2019

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I dislocated the gently caress out of my finger from getting my ring caught on a ladder two weeks into being married.

We ended up getting ring tattoos since we are both in ems and now I just keep my ring on my keys.

I met my girlfriend's new boyfriend today and let me tell you it was fun as hell. Felt like I knew him for a long time, same interests and the same humor. I am now extra jazzed that she's moving in soon, I'll have another idiot around the house occasionally to bounce bad ideas off of.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I dislocated the gently caress out of my finger from getting my ring caught on a ladder two weeks into being married.

We ended up getting ring tattoos since we are both in ems and now I just keep my ring on my keys.

I met my girlfriend's new boyfriend today and let me tell you it was fun as hell. Felt like I knew him for a long time, same interests and the same humor. I am now extra jazzed that she's moving in soon, I'll have another idiot around the house occasionally to bounce bad ideas off of.

Does your girlfriend's boyfriend get on with your wife?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I... what?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
He's either super poly or having a stroke

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wii Shop Channel just shut down. Weird that this was in my radar, but there it is.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
What confuses me about poly relationships is the logistics.

Like, if you are a threesome, being in the back when you do a long journey has got to be a bit of snub. Do you draw up a rota of who sits in the front and who sits in the back? Is it defined on a calendar basis or is there a points system: 3 trips to Walmart the back alone = 1 trip as shotgun to a music festival. Do you perform a Chinese fire drill at every 4th stop light?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shut up Meg posted:

What confuses me about poly relationships is the logistics.

Like, if you are a threesome, being in the back when you do a long journey has got to be a bit of snub. Do you draw up a rota of who sits in the front and who sits in the back? Is it defined on a calendar basis or is there a points system: 3 trips to Walmart the back alone = 1 trip as shotgun to a music festival. Do you perform a Chinese fire drill at every 4th stop light?

Bench seats.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone has their own bike or onewheel or whatever. Or you get to sit on someone's lap :kimchi:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's only one other thread around these parts besides this one where you can get "how much actual piss do you want on your, y'know, everything" chat AND possible hot cuck action chat on the same page, and that's TRUMP!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have one couple friends that are poly and their marriage is doomed. He was into it at the beginning but now she's just banging every dude she can and he just wants her and nobody else. It's really sad to watch.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's only one other thread around these parts besides this one where you can get "how much actual piss do you want on your, y'know, everything" chat AND possible hot cuck action chat on the same page, and that's TRUMP!

AI - the one car forum where anyone can be black, white, Asian, dog, cat, Furry, Gay, straight, Bi, lesbian, transgender, poly or whatever and no one blinks an eye. But even THINK about being racist and you get roadhauled and dumped out the back a bloodied mess

Anyone actually step back and think just how unusual that is? You'll a pretty decent bunch even if you do entertain dropping V8's into Mazdas.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Safety Dance posted:

I rented a Skoda Rapid in Hamburg and took it on the autobahn. I got it up to 185kph

You're a brave soul. I did a round trip from <suburb of Austin I'd rather not mention for reasons that many know> to (almost) Denton and back today. I found two bait cars on the way back - one an obvious dealer to dealer transfer (brand new Subaru sporting logos from a DFW Subaru dealer, and a temp tag from an Austin area dealer, with "XFER TO SUBARU OF <dealer name> written on it that matched the temp tag), then a Mercedes CUV. This was on dry roads, just chilly for the area (40s, farenheit), and the car still felt pretty sketchy at high speeds.

I gave up keeping up with the Mercedes - I was banging the speed governor (108 mph) trying to keep up with her. Still wound up being about an 8 hour round trip :sigh:. I had forgotten how crazy DFW drivers are too... and forgot rush hour starts at 2 or 3pm there. Austin's rush hour is horrible (especially on 35, we need to nuke it from orbit), but it's a 4-6 thing instead of 2-7 thing.

The Door Frame posted:

E: I always thought the midwest had the "neutral accent", so I didn't think that I had a regional accent. Apparently people know I'm from Chicago because I say eggs wrong

I always thought I had a pretty neutral accent, having grown up on the border of Texas and New Mexico, with a bit of travel when I was younger (California, Idaho, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Colorado, etc come to mind when I was younger - plus a couple of trips to Mexico), and my parents being the "YOU WILL NEVER LEARN SPANISH, THOSE loving WETBACKS ARE TAKING OUR JOBS, THEY NEED TO GO BACK TO MESSICO :argh:" types.

My accent is enough that anyone from a Texas border town (especially El Paso) picks up on it immediately. Outside of that, people occasionally ask where I'm from, since I don't have the typical Texas accent, y'all, and get blown away when I say I've been in Texas my entire life. My accent comes out a bit more when I'm speaking Spanglish or ordering Mexican food; my Spanish is pretty terrible (thanks, parents), but the border accent really comes out after some beers. The border town giveaway is when I say "tacos".

(and yes, you do say eggs wrong..)

The Door Frame posted:

My CNA instructor said that if you used the blower to dry your hands during clinicals that you'd have to stay an extra hour because it's completely unsanitary

If I wind up in a bathroom with only blowers, I wipe my hands off on my pants - they're most likely cleaner. Then I find all of the hand sanitizer. Or I just skip washing if I only had to pee (so long as I'm not handling someone else's food at that point - if I am, I find a bathroom with paper towels) - I know where my cock's been, I shower every day, and I know how to shake the dew off.

Not kosher for nursing, but good nuff for me personally.

meatpimp posted:

I broke my tungsten wedding band last month by slapping it down on a granite countertop. They're brittle, but could definitely snag if pulled. My wife's father is missing a ring finger from a random accident -- he was jumping up to unhook a soccer goal net from the top of the frame and got it caught. It didn't deglove, but it tore enough flesh that it didn't heal and they had to amputate.

So funny painful story that involves a lot of pain, but not degloving or that type of ring - it involves a nipple ring. Also, not me (thank gently caress).

Ages ago, when I worked at Whole Foods, I worked in a now-older store that was a little on the smaller side (~60k sq ft, originally 25k, but expanded through the years). Everybody heard a really loud "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!" from the kitchen. I worked deli/prepared foods at the time, so the kitchen was part of my department.

I ran back there. Found my boss with a shitload of blood on his chef's coat. I knew boss had his nipples pierced. I saw a step stool in front of a rolling rack (he was a short guy, around 5'5"?). I did 2+2=:stonkhat:, then he confirmed it by saying his ring got snagged on one of the posts when he jumped off. Tore it out of the nipple. :cripes: How he managed to snag a captive bead ring through a t-shirt AND a thick chef's coat is beyond me.

Rhyno posted:

I have one couple friends that are poly and their marriage is doomed. He was into it at the beginning but now she's just banging every dude she can and he just wants her and nobody else. It's really sad to watch.

I had a few 3 ways with an ex BF and his wife over about a year.

.... I haven't talked to him much since the last one. He did tell me his wife got insanely jealous once she saw how into it we both were, and wanted him to cut all ties with me. :smith: I really liked her as a friend (not so much in bed), and well, I've been friends with him for over 20 years (off-and-on again BFs for about 10 years, with some FWB thrown in). He now has a special needs son with her, I keep tossing money at their various gofundme accounts to help with his surgeries (they're both self employed, so health insurance is difficult for them).

Incidentally, we shared the same first name, but different spellings (there's 4 spellings that I know of... mine is the 2nd most common, his is the 3rd) Last night, I had a delivery to a hotel with a desk clerk that was very obviously gay... and we also shared a first name, just different spelling. We chatted briefly. He spelled his name like my ex (according to his nametag). I mentioned that to him on my way out, he kinda laughed then said "uh... my last ex also shares our name, but spells it like you". :tinfoil:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

ilkhan posted:

I... what?

My wife and I each have a long term boyfriend / girlfriend or two. We don't really date outside of that. My wife and my girlfriend are besties, and they decided that she should move in with us.

The girlfriend in question has a really hard time actually dating anyone other than me because dudes are boring and bad at conversation. She found someone a few weeks ago and I just met him. He's pretty cool and I'm glad she's dating him.

E:

Rhyno posted:

This happens to a lot of people in the poly community. There's a whole host of reasons, but the meat of the problem is that there's not enough communication, there's mismatched expectations, or someone is a giant rear end in a top hat.

It sounds like your friends need to shut things down and spend some time with a therapist. If he's making it known that he's really unhappy with the situation and she's still forging ahead that speaks of bigger problems than poly bullshit.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 30, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My wife and I each have a long term boyfriend / girlfriend or two. We don't really date outside of that. My wife and my girlfriend are besties, and they decided that she should move in with us.

The girlfriend in question has a really hard time actually dating anyone other than me because dudes are boring and bad at conversation. She found someone a few weeks ago and I just met him. He's pretty cool and I'm glad she's dating him.
Cool. Have fun and enjoy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

This is 99.9999% of all poly relationships. Some people make it work, but they are absolutely unicorns.

In other news, the noises a CVPI makes after a night out in -20 degree weather are alarming. If you thought Ford power steering noise was loud, wait until you hear it when the PS fluid is trying to congeal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh it's 100% her. It was fun and exciting for him 10 years ago but now his patience is worn and she keeps banging every 3rd guy that comes along. She works for a major, well known company and nearly go fired for violating their rules of fraternization as she had banged like 14 of her coworkers.

It really sucks, he's one of my favorite people and he just wants his wife. She's not a horrible person either which makes it rougher on him.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

STR posted:

You're a brave soul. I did a round trip from <suburb of Austin I'd rather not mention for reasons that many know> to (almost) Denton and back today. I found two bait cars on the way back - one an obvious dealer to dealer transfer (brand new Subaru sporting logos from a DFW Subaru dealer, and a temp tag from an Austin area dealer, with "XFER TO SUBARU OF <dealer name> written on it that matched the temp tag), then a Mercedes CUV. This was on dry roads, just chilly for the area (40s, farenheit), and the car still felt pretty sketchy at high speeds.

I gave up keeping up with the Mercedes - I was banging the speed governor (108 mph) trying to keep up with her. Still wound up being about an 8 hour round trip :sigh:. I had forgotten how crazy DFW drivers are too... and forgot rush hour starts at 2 or 3pm there. Austin's rush hour is horrible (especially on 35, we need to nuke it from orbit), but it's a 4-6 thing instead of 2-7 thing.

I think a combination of new-ish car and well maintained, very wide roads engendered confidence. The Skoda felt composed, moreso than the Mazda Protege and Toyota Sienna I've also taken up to 110mph+.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

This is 99.9999% of all poly relationships. Some people make it work, but they are absolutely unicorns.

Pretty much, why even get "married" if you're just gonna gently caress other people anyway? Tax purposes are the only thing I got...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

keykey posted:

Pretty much, why even get "married" if you're just gonna gently caress other people anyway? Tax purposes are the only thing I got...

I don't kinkshame, whatever a person, couple or group agree to is cool by me. But man, we are big sacks of roller-coastering emotions. Just keeping my wife and I on the same page with all of life's stuff can be hard, I'd hate to imagine another variable person thrown into the mix. Seems like stacking the deck for some kind of emotional disaster on one or more fronts.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I barely have the time and energy to keep one lady happy, two would probably kill me :v: If you're up to it though and everything is above board, more power to you.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's...not how it works. That's not how any relationship works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grakkus posted:

I barely have the time and energy to keep one lady happy, two would probably kill me :v: If you're up to it though and everything is above board, more power to you.

This is pretty much how i felt. When I was 22 I was dating two girls and while they both knew the score they loving hated each other and by the end of it I was miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Although I hate my job and it sucks, working at a dealership has its perks.

For example, waiting for the coldest day of the year to bring your car in downstairs for a 30K service and telling them to leave it inside until I'm ready to go home. :smug: