Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

luxury handset posted:

state governments have a huge amount of power when it comes to "economic development". if the governor of State wants to give billions of dollars to a private organization in exchange for a unicorn fart factory then they can go ahead and do that and it is up to the voters of the state to put elected officials in place who will pass laws against this sort of thing, like an oversight board or some sort of watchdog regulatory agency

economic development in terms of handing out tax breaks can sometimes be a good idea. also sometimes it can be an enormous swindle. it all depends on how much taxpayers are willing to get fleeced

Artonos posted:

Scott appointed almost everyone to that oversight council in Wisconsin. The gop state legislature removed evers power to appoint people to the WEDC in the lame duck period.

gently caress Wisconsin gop and Walker especially.

Well, I'd argue that the vast majority of voters and taxpayers don't know how a candidate will act when given a situation like this and that the choices get made without any accountability and without voters getting a real say. When these things get written up, is there anything preventing the lawyers from putting in bad faith clauses and restrictions on how the money is spent to prevent this sort of thievery? Why can't a state government be forced to get approval for these deals through referendums whenever they exceed some defined amount of taxpayer dollars? Or perhaps have a federal branch of government that cases like this can be brought to so we can "get the money back" from a company doing this sort of thing through specific taxes/tariffs on the company's market access?

I admit I'm just spitballing and know next to nothing about this sort of stuff but there must be a way to prevent this other than "don't vote for dipshit and you won't have your money given to señor snake oil".

I appreciate the explanations, fellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1090639477809336320

I have noticed in my workplace that millennials have no problem comparing salaries, we do it over text and non-office chat and bitch about pay all the time. The older folks treat discussing pay as the worst sacrilege. I think the fear is that people will get mad at you for being paid more, but really they get pissed at the company and managers. Which makes the fear so dumb.

I drive a bus and we all make the same hourly rate but some guys work longer crews or do a lot more overtime so we are always comparing our salaries, especially towards the end of the year. It is just habit that I have generally curbed when not at work.

Now that I think about it, it is pretty great because it really makes it seem like a team effort out on the streets and I know that there is potential for some great earnings if I want them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ELO Musk posted:

When these things get written up, is there anything preventing the lawyers from putting in bad faith clauses and restrictions on how the money is spent to prevent this sort of thievery? Why can't a state government be forced to get approval for these deals through referendums whenever they exceed some defined amount of taxpayer dollars?

all this stuff is possible so long as a state has laws to put them into place and enforces them instead of becoming corrupt/desperate

fed oversight is less likely tho because due to the 10th amendment there is a pretty clear line about what the federal government can and can't do regarding state autonomy, and much of the federal government expansion of the twentieth century has been finding clever ways to loophole past the 10th

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ELO Musk posted:

Well, I'd argue that the vast majority of voters and taxpayers don't know how a candidate will act when given a situation like this and that the choices get made without any accountability and without voters getting a real say. When these things get written up, is there anything preventing the lawyers from putting in bad faith clauses and restrictions on how the money is spent to prevent this sort of thievery? Why can't a state government be forced to get approval for these deals through referendums whenever they exceed some defined amount of taxpayer dollars? Or perhaps have a federal branch of government that cases like this can be brought to so we can "get the money back" from a company doing this sort of thing through specific taxes/tariffs on the company's market access?

I admit I'm just spitballing and know next to nothing about this sort of stuff but there must be a way to prevent this other than "don't vote for dipshit and you won't have your money given to señor snake oil".

All of that stuff could be put in the contract but then the company wouldn't sign it and then how would Scott Walker get his kickback

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

ELO Musk posted:

To be clear I'm not an expert by any means. I've only read this stuff bc of foxconn over the last couple years.

There are some clawbacks. They didn't employ 260 people like they were supposed to by 2018 so they didn't get their full payment. I think they are guaranteed a certain amount no matter what that is a bit more than a billion. And they get more for hitting certain marks. I'll bet they hit some marks just to get the payments. This doesn't bode well for them being here in the long term. And meanwhile Wisconsin funds are going towards infrastructure for water, eminent domain of people's land, highway construction etc for a plant that won't exist in the form that was originally promised.

I'd also note that this is foxconn's go to strategy. I believe they did something similar to both Brazil and pennsylvania (maybe, can't quite remember which state?)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1089924378874298368

We really are in the dumbest version of a cyberpunk dystopia

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Loyalty means nothing. The most significant pay raise you'll get is by going to another company and negotiating a better salary from the start.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

friendbot2000 posted:

This is old, Wal Mart and others already do this, and companies pay them to do so.

Auto parts stores monitor car sales figures and parts purchases to figure out how to stock distribution centers the same way.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For some reason, I find Schultz being able to claw breathless wall-to-wall coverage for himself by doing nothing other than standing in front of a microphone and going "Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh. Uh Politics I guess" for a couple of hours to be a more damning indictment of how this country worships wealth than anything else.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

This is okd, Wal Mart and others already do this, and companies pay them to do so.

Lol they get around bans on facial reconition this way:

quote:

Crucially, the “Cooler Screens” system does not use facial recognition. Shoppers aren’t identified when the fridge cameras scan their face. Instead, the cameras analyze faces to make inferences about shoppers’ age and gender. First, the camera takes their picture, which an AI system will measure and analyze, say, the width of someone’s eyes, the distance between their lips and nose, and other micro measurements. From there, the system can estimate if the person who opened the door is, say, a woman in her early 20s or a male in his late 50s. It’s analysis, not recognition.

The distinction between the two is very important. In Illinois, facial recognition in public is outlawed under BIPA, the Biometric Privacy Act. For two years, Google and Facebook fought class-actions suits filed under the law, after plaintiffs claimed the companies obtained their facial data without their consent. Home-security cams with facial-recognition abilities, such as Nest or Amazon’s Ring, also have those features disabled in the state; even Google’s viral “art selfie” app is banned. The suit against Facebook was dismissed in January, but privacy advocates champion BIPA as a would-be template for a world where facial recognition is federally regulated.

That is what makes this so dumb. It is corporations skirting the law through bullshit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Asema posted:

Loyalty means nothing. The most significant pay raise you'll get is by going to another company and negotiating a better salary from the start.

If you start your own business you can give yourself whatever raise you want. :smuggo:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

friendbot2000 posted:

This is all Piggly Wiggly's fault

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Watched the Schultz interview on MSNBC. What a loving dullard.

Yeah seriously everything he says is stupid or some form of non answer. At this point I'm fairly confident he's only getting super far right Democrats and Never Trumpers that wouldn't vote for even Harris anyway (who on Earth watches this dork and switches?) so his effect wouldn't be huge. It's not a variable I want to worry about so I hope his attempts to blackmail the Democrats into nominating Biden or whoever fails and he slinks away after his book tour. Getting repeatedly heckled by the plebs can't feel good to a dude that is used to having everyone around him lick his rear end and call it ice cream.

Even Trump didn't get this much free press until he actually started running and this guy is publicly running on his own personal taxes and nothing else. The media is a joke.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For us older folks, "salary = self worth" is so heavily ingrained that admitting your salary and risking discovering that you're underpaid relative to co-workers can be a source of shame / embarassment / etc. The meritocracy myth. Intellectually I know it's bullshit but still it's an effect -- "if you're so smart why aren't you rich?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU4VRs2rro

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The notion that anyone is launching an independent bid 21 months before election day is the joke. Schultz will never follow through, but he probably sold a couple more copies of his book and no one had to think about any of the policies that actual presidential candidates are proposing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Tayter Swift posted:

125% tax on all income over $44,100. Call it the Nyquist Limit Tax.

OMG, I got that at once.

(I have a patent in digital audio for the 1-bit oversampled DAC).

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mahoning posted:

I'd like to give you a laurel :agesilaus: and hardy handshake for that joke.

Now someone's gonna have to go back and get a poo poo load of dimes

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Asema posted:

Very true, and particularly why corporate does not want anyone discussing salaries with each other. The mythos long ago was that you could quit a job and then they'd realize how valuable you are and beg you to come back for more money. Modern corporate makes that idea obsolete, there's too many layers in hiring to undo an exit. Meanwhile, they've quantized COLAs to a precise degree of steps that keep the bottom line smooth through the next 12 quarters, and these pay structures are filled to the brim with people who just didn't negotiate as ruthlessly or had the misfortune of not being male and white.

A reckoning is absolutely coming, and it will facilitated simply by data being widely available.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DandyLion posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier for Wisconsin to just pay these big corporations carte blanche without any expectation of reciprocation? Seems it would require less 'tap dancing' after the fact....

It's not the destination but the journey

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Token Republican (and is a lawyer) in my social circle is asking "How" can Congress end gerrymandering.

My understanding after a bit of googling to confirm what I believed to be the thread consensus is:
-It is Federal Law that the number of representatives per district is set to 1 per district. Thus a law can be changed to be three for something like Single Transferable Vote?
-->Can Congress specify that Representatives be chosen via something like STV? Or from names in a hat, or from rolling dice, etc. This is the part that's unclear to me.
-It is Federal Law that the number of Representatives is set to 435, and another could increase is to 1305 or larger?
-The VRA regulates redistricting to a degree, specifying what States can't do. Can a VRA 2.0 specify that Districts be reasonably Convex based on some formula that outputs a number?

Is there any aspect of this that the Constitution specifically gives that power to the States?

The simple answer would be to vastly increase the number of representatives in the House. Like double or triple the number. It not only becomes much more difficult to gerrymander when you have so many districts, but it also helps balance out the power of the Senate in the Electoral College.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Well I dunno about you, but I am shocked, just shocked. Now you know why Donny eats McDonald's and not Trump brand dog poo poo

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

friendbot2000 posted:

Okay I understand the concern here, but what happens if you have a robot sales clerk? Would it be okay to do facial recognition as long as the robot doesn't transmit that data to HQ?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

friendbot2000 posted:

I have noticed in my workplace that millennials have no problem comparing salaries, we do it over text and non-office chat and bitch about pay all the time. The older folks treat discussing pay as the worst sacrilege. I think the fear is that people will get mad at you for being paid more, but really they get pissed at the company and managers. Which makes the fear so dumb.

Oh yes, I've worked for places where this was a disciplinary level act. Write ups and/or suspension. Who am I kidding, I work for one of those places now. No one can discuss their raises, pay rates, or even bonuses they might earn. Technically I don't even know my pay rate because the shop went electronic paycheck and the website they use doesn't have a password recovery option

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Raenir Salazar posted:

doesn't transmit that data to HQ?
Lol. That's a good one.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My game testing job it was most definitely taboo to discuss pay with each other and probably would've been let go if anyone made a big issue of it.

The people who off the street did phone support for 2K Games would be 15$ an hour while people working two years testing League of Legends skins would be 11.5$ an hour.

My previous team lead got switched to a different project, lost his Lead position AND pay that went with it despite working there for years.

The guy whose job it was to put together desks and computers (Facilities is the term I think?) got let go because Babel/Keywords/VMC whatever their name was at the time reported a loss, a loss for the first time in x many years and immediately to to downsizing non-revenue staff.

In the early days of the game business (1980's) play testing and customer support jobs would lead to associate producers jobs, then full producer jobs etc.

Heck one of my co-workers/friends started out at EA's Warehouse and ended up at one point as the CEO of SOE.

Me? I started as a playtester in 1979 (yeah, I'm old) and eventually ended up at the CxO level.

The industry lost when it dropped this idea. Nothing makes you care about product quality as much as testing and customer support.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay I understand the concern here, but what happens if you have a robot sales clerk? Would it be okay to do facial recognition as long as the robot doesn't transmit that data to HQ?

Why would it be needed?

Is a robot sales clerk just an automated self checkout? I don't feel like you would need facial recognition to activate / use it, unless you wanted it to go full uncanny valley and have it address and interact with you. In which case, please, god no, never.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is this going to be the first time in history two countries with a mcdonalds go to war?

Kosovo war, afaik.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
So how cold are USPOL goons today? It's 58 degrees in LA, I'm shivering!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

VideoGameVet posted:

In the early days of the game business (1980's) play testing and customer support jobs would lead to associate producers jobs, then full producer jobs etc.

Heck one of my co-workers/friends started out at EA's Warehouse and ended up at one point as the CEO of SOE.

Me? I started as a playtester in 1979 (yeah, I'm old) and eventually ended up at the CxO level.

The industry lost when it dropped this idea. Nothing makes you care about product quality as much as testing and customer support.

I did this in the late aughts (from QA tester up to full producer), so it still happens but certainly a lot more infrequently than it used to I'd wager.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KickerOfMice posted:

Well, that came outta nowhere.

It's a funny cover of TLC?

I refuse to acknowledge Weezer past Pinkerton.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

friendbot2000 posted:

C'mon man, we need to know whether that dude buying a bottle of Coke was smiling or not. It's a matter of national security

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Mummy Xzibit posted:

So how cold are USPOL goons today? It's 58 degrees in LA, I'm shivering!

34 (apparently feels like 26) in Baltimore. Ice everywhere, but it's sunny and there's not a lot of wind, so it's not too bad at all.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

friendbot2000 posted:

Lol they get around bans on facial reconition this way:

That is what makes this so dumb. It is corporations skirting the law through bullshit.

god drat but do they love re-inventing phrenology over and over don't they

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rip Testes posted:

Where does Trump get his intelligence that contradicts his own intelligence community which he considers idiots? What separate state intelligence gathering apparatus does he rely on?
At some point, you gotta figure a domestic alphabet agency will just start black-bagging Fox anchors and force them to read the President's Daily Briefing on air.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crow Jane posted:

34 (apparently feels like 26) in Baltimore. Ice everywhere, but it's sunny and there's not a lot of wind, so it's not too bad at all.

-2 here in MI, with a windchill up to -45. Could really use sum o dat global warming right about now, hurr

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Raenir Salazar posted:

No. Leave me alone.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crow Jane posted:

35 but feeling like 52 here.

Oh those were temperatures.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Crow Jane posted:

4F in Louisville with wind chill of -21F. Even with my seat warmer on my farts were icing the leather.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

friendbot2000 posted:

It's also that as of IIRC 1994 it's illegal in the US to make it a policy that you can't tell someone else your salary, but most companies will still have it in their employment agreement and it's like an entry level thing you often get told to never do. Lots of people just never connect the dots as to why it's better for the employees to all know. And companies will absolutely try to let you go for whatever other bullshit reason if you try to push it since they realize the inevitable result of it is folks realizing the company is screwing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Raenir Salazar posted:

My game testing job it was most definitely taboo to discuss pay with each other and probably would've been let go if anyone made a big issue of it.

The people who off the street did phone support for 2K Games would be 15$ an hour while people working two years testing League of Legends skins would be 11.5$ an hour.
What's up, fellow tester. :cheers:

I test boring, niche industry-specific software. But at my company, every job has several seniority ranks, and every seniority rank has a range of salary compensation which is not a secret (I'm not sure if it's "public" per se but we can find out internally). Within your rank, you might be making a bit more or less than your coworkers, but no one is getting screwed. Bonuses once a year for everyone across the board, raises twice a year that are independent of your annual review, and the salaries are generous to start with. Also health care premiums are 100% paid.

The reason for all of this is that is a co-op. The customers are the members are the owners .... so there are no highly paid corporate executives getting rich off the profits while screwing everyone else.

It's not exactly socialism, but it's a hell of a lot better than your typical public or private corporation.

The only downside is all my co-workers are spoiled rotten by this system and have no idea how badly other people get screwed. So ... I am surrounded by Republicans.