Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

The Jackbox Party Pack

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/jackbox-party-pack-1/home

You Don't Know Jack 2015 + 4 other party games, playable via the Epic Games Launcher.

Free from Jan 24th - Feb 7th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you somehow don't already own Jackbox it's a fantastic party game, the gimmick of everyone playing via the web browser on their phone/tablet/laptop is unbeatable for pick up and play in a casual environment.

Zesty posted:

Why is that?

The protagonist is supposed to be a send-up of adventure game protagonists being assholes but it misses the mark so badly that it just becomes a misanthropic slog. Probably the most infamous is the puzzle where you sell a black woman into slavery to replace an organ grinder's pet monkey.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

The protagonist is supposed to be a send-up of adventure game protagonists being assholes but it misses the mark so badly that it just becomes a misanthropic slog. Probably the most infamous is the puzzle where you sell a black woman into slavery to replace an organ grinder's pet monkey.

:stare::staredog::catstare::dogbutton::allbuttons:

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I've never disliked the main character of a video game in the first twenty minutes as much as the dude from Deponia. I loving love point and click adventure games but holy hell did they ever go out of their way to make him an obnoxious piece of absolute poo poo. I'm not against rear end in a top hat characters as a general rule in narratives but I seriously could not handle his bullshit. I think their idea of humour just doesn't really mesh with mine.

Jackbox is good though.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Jackbox is an amazing party game.

Shame I've moved away from the group I usually play it with

Pokedad
Jan 27, 2005
I am a creepy cunt.
Distraint is free on GoG.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Jackbox is an amazing party game.

Shame I've moved away from the group I usually play it with

If you've got a halfway decent connection, you can use Discord's group chat (not a server) to stream the game screen to everyone while you play. It's what I typically do with my group of friends. There's latency, but it's not a big deal. Especially if you turn on the settings for more generous timers.

Can't really play Fakin' It though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Blacula posted:

You Don't Know Jack 2015 + 4 other party games, playable via the Epic Games Launcher.

Once you install it from the launcher, you can pin the exe into your start menu and launch it directly without starting the Epic client.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I launch GOG, Twitch and Epic games all through Steam

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

~Coxy posted:

Once you install it from the launcher, you can pin the exe into your start menu and launch it directly without starting the Epic client.
Why the hell do people care so much about that. I've read at least a dozen "you can just download the game and launch it independently" comments, and it seems like so much more of a hassle than just launching it from the client.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xander77 posted:

Why the hell do people care so much about that. I've read at least a dozen "you can just download the game and launch it independently" comments, and it seems like so much more of a hassle than just launching it from the client.
If Epic decides next year that the whole experiment was a failure and close it down you don't need to do anything to keep playing your games if you have them downloaded.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Making out with your roommate is an experiment, they opened a digital storefront and are straight up robbing games from the competition. They're not Desura, if this goes down it'll be with a massive blow, not a couple of losses.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Xander77 posted:

I'm no Steam lover, but the Epic client is kind of a pain.
Even minimised to tray, it will keep playing the videos on the store within its own embedded Chrome process. Despite having hardware acceleration turned on, this keeps it at a constant 10% CPU usage.

For Fornite or whatever you're gonna need to launch it through the client because it has an update to download every 3 days.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Samuringa posted:

Making out with your roommate is an experiment, they opened a digital storefront and are straight up robbing games from the competition. They're not Desura, if this goes down it'll be with a massive blow, not a couple of losses.

When desura closed it was a massive blow to my collection of metal gear solid ripoff games from Turkey, you monster

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

~Coxy posted:

I'm no Steam lover, but the Epic client is kind of a pain.
Even minimised to tray, it will keep playing the videos on the store within its own embedded Chrome process. Despite having hardware acceleration turned on, this keeps it at a constant 10% CPU usage.

For Fornite or whatever you're gonna need to launch it through the client because it has an update to download every 3 days.

That’s dumb as hell. There should at least be an experimental option to kill the Chrome process on minimize, even if it takes longer for the storefront to reload on restore.

Aren’t Steam and GOG Chrome based also?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Xander77 posted:

Memory is expensive, so I don't want gaudy digital store launchers soaking up my paultry 8gb.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can close launchers when you're not playing the games, and depending on the storefront even after you've launched the game

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

flatluigi posted:

you can close launchers when you're not playing the games, and depending on the storefront even after you've launched the game

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't have any launchers start when I start the computer, unless you count Discord.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

flatluigi posted:

Or I can Windows key+E my way to C:/Games, browse my library organized any way I choose, and launch whatever I want to play from the install folder the same way I always have. Launchers are DRM, that's all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

treat posted:

Or I can Windows key+E my way to C:/Games, browse my library organized any way I choose, and launch whatever I want to play from the install folder the same way I always have. Launchers are DRM, that's all.

Old man spotted

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Running the world. A new age!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jesus that is a lot of extra steps to accomplish the same thing as Steam

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think I can one up this guy. I use an old launcher designed for flash drives to organize my video games, give them little custom icons and launch them, as well as any helper programs, manuals, or wikis. I mostly have GOG titles but it’ll launch Steam games too. It’s probably a manifestation of a significant mental illness but it makes me a jolly gamer.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Len posted:

Jesus that is a lot of extra steps to accomplish the same thing as Steam

It's 2 key presses and 3 double-clicks.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Wait doesn't anybody use shortcuts on the desktop?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Wait doesn't anybody use shortcuts on the desktop?

Haven't you heard? Nowadays if you have more than 5 icons on your desktop it's cluttered and you're using your computer wrong!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

treat posted:

do you connect with a baud modem to the old usenet boards too

The way we interact with video games has fundamentally changed, even the selling of physical mediums only exists due to inertia. Image Gabe Newell selling your videogames on sale, forever. That is the future of the medium.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Geemer posted:

Haven't you heard? Nowadays if you have more than 5 icons on your desktop it's cluttered and you're using your computer wrong!

this but unironically

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lol who the gently caress even looks at a desktop enough to consider it "cluttered"? i have 2 monitor and there's rarely more than a couple square inches that aren't covered in windows.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

lol who the gently caress even looks at a desktop enough to consider it "cluttered"? i have 2 monitor and there's rarely more than a couple square inches that aren't covered in windows.
:hmmyes:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

i see it for 0.3 seconds at startup and that, sir, is enough

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Lone Goat posted:

i have 2 monitor

only 2? check out my setup:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

doctorfrog posted:

I think I can one up this guy. I use an old launcher designed for flash drives to organize my video games, give them little custom icons and launch them, as well as any helper programs, manuals, or wikis. I mostly have GOG titles but it’ll launch Steam games too. It’s probably a manifestation of a significant mental illness but it makes me a jolly gamer.

Pssh, real pros launch into command line and run the batch file they created that goes to the directory with cd\ commands and then runs the exe.

Sometimes this may include a boot disc to give yourself more EMS ram.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Pssh, real pros launch into command line and run the batch file they created that goes to the directory with cd\ commands and then runs the exe.

This is all of my drag-drop games for LANs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Thief posted:

Is that ur dick or a turd?? either way, nsfw

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

treat posted:

The remapping WSAD to arrow keys of launching games

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Do you remember when the free games thread had posts about games that were now free? Pepperidge farm remembers ;)

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Thief posted:

What's that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Guy Mann posted:

The remapping WSAD to arrow keys of launching games

When games first started using WASD, I remapped them to the arrow keys. Until I realised that was stupid