Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Mummy Xzibit posted:

So how cold are USPOL goons today? It's 58 degrees in LA, I'm shivering!

-20 outside Chicago. No idea what the wind chill is. Haven't spent more than 5 minutes outside and don't plan to for the rest of the day.

Edit: Nevermind, up to -19!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

Well I dunno about you, but I am shocked, just shocked. Now you know why Donny eats McDonald's and not Trump brand dog poo poo

If I were in the compost/manure business I’d wait until Trump runs his Trump companies into the ground (and/or has them shuttered through involvement in thousands of crimes) and then offer to license the Trump brand for my products.

“Trump Brand Manure! Full of poo poo, guaranteed!”

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

DandyLion posted:

4F in Louisville with wind chill of -21F. Even with my seat warmer on my farts were icing the leather.

37F, Flagstaff. To think two years ago I would be dying in this weather. Now I just wear a light coat.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

fishing with the fam posted:

-20 outside Chicago. No idea what the wind chill is. Haven't spent more than 5 minutes outside and don't plan to for the rest of the day.

Fuckin' heat wave!
Still debating whether I want to brave it to go to work. My bosses are having call in fights, each calling earlier to stay home.
Even the postal service isn't running, and I can't blame them

Ripoff posted:

If I were in the compost/manure business I’d wait until Trump runs his Trump companies into the ground (and/or has them shuttered through involvement in thousands of crimes) and then offer to license the Trump brand for my products.

“Trump Brand Manure! Full of poo poo, guaranteed!”

:discourse:

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Mummy Xzibit posted:

-20 feels like -47 in Milwaukee.

It's supposed to get up to 45 this weekend. Which is a totally normal temperature swing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Why would it be needed?

Is a robot sales clerk just an automated self checkout? I don't feel like you would need facial recognition to activate / use it, unless you wanted it to go full uncanny valley and have it address and interact with you. In which case, please, god no, never.

1. People like the idea of someone to bag your groceries, even if it's a machine, at which point the amount of respect they will give it will match its deserved level :v:

2. Addendum to (1) Is people like to have someone to talk to, or someone to yell at, or feel most satisfaction when they are told "Please have a good day", a robot doing this will still do that.

3. Addendum to (2) people like to be remembered and feel valued. If the robot is like, "Hello {Meat Bag's Name}, did you know there is a discount today on {ITEM_PREVIOUSLY_PURCHASED}?" That's useful and probably worth billions in investment and research. The first company that can do this is the first company that gets to layoff its entire workforce and award themselves bonuses (To be clear, the future mass unemployability of the human race is a HUGE concern, I'm just explaining why a company might do this).

Edit to add to (3): You can have the individual robot remember this information, or transmit to other robots in the same store, but not back to HQ; or only transmit data stripped of anything that can be used to identify without a warrant.

4. This is sillier but if we ever end up with sentient robots, I obviously don't want them to be targets of discrimination that prevent them from having certain kinds of jobs because they might be too good at it.

5. If that robot is also a General Purpose robot that can also clean the floors, or stock the shelves, or answer questions, even better and better as to why its a humanoid robot and not just some self-checkout contraption.

Edit to add 6. The Robot won't judge you for buying 6 packages of buttermilk icecream at 4 AM.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 30, 2019

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The Right - and let's not kid ourselves, Schultz is a Republican too scared to call himself a Republican - get media attention basically just by saying poo poo that pisses off the Left. I wonder if it works the same way in the other direction.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

2degrees in the Burgh, and the wind is so lovely I actually called the cops because I thought someone left a bomb on my porch. Turns out the killer wind blew my ancient black-box mailbox which looks like it has a fuse sticking out of it off the wall.

Welcome to the most humiliating day of my life.

If you see me on the news, make lots of fun.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DandyLion posted:

I did this in the late aughts (from QA tester up to full producer), so it still happens but certainly a lot more infrequently than it used to I'd wager.

My company still hires the majority of its junior producers or designers out of QA, but it's still like 1 a year

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Raenir Salazar posted:

1. People like the idea of someone to bag your groceries, even if it's a machine, at which point the amount of respect they will give it will match its deserved level :v:

Unlike it's human counterpart, you being an rear end in a top hat to it won't encourage it to fire bomb your car and leave your mutilated corpse hanging from a parking lot lamp post.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mendrian posted:

The Right get media attention basically just by saying poo poo that pisses off the Left. I wonder if it works the same way in the other direction.
sir let me tell you about this alexandria ocasio-cortez we have

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SocketWrench posted:

Unlike it's human counterpart, you being an rear end in a top hat to it won't encourage it to fire bomb your car and leave your mutilated corpse hanging from a parking lot lamp post.

To be clear I'm saying that most people are assholes to cashiers/baggers, a human obviously deserves more respect then they are given, but a robot that's not sentient presumably does not "deserve" respect except in the anthropormothic sense that people say "Respect your tools", so the joke is people will finally pay the deserving amount of respect to it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

KickerOfMice posted:

2degrees in the Burgh, and the wind is so lovely I actually called the cops because I thought someone left a bomb on my porch. Turns out the killer wind blew my ancient black-box mailbox which looks like it has a fuse sticking out of it off the wall.

Do you have reason to suspect anyone would bomb you?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1090649814323335168

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

No, but it was a literal black box with that looked like a fuse and bolts coming out of the side.

I'm paranoid, I guess. Why would anyone bomb me, but this is the age of failed-rear end bombers who don't know what the gently caress even more than me.

It's my day off, was I watching TV too hard?

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 30, 2019

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

The cop was actually laughing at me, which I deserve.

E- Again, welcome to the most humiliating day of my life.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 30, 2019

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

How did you find a video of 21 year old me

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Raenir Salazar posted:

2. Addendum to (1) Is people like to have someone to talk to, or someone to yell at, or feel most satisfaction when they are told "Please have a good day", a robot doing this will still do that.

3. Addendum to (2) people like to be remembered and feel valued. If the robot is like, "Hello {Meat Bag's Name}, did you know there is a discount today on {ITEM_PREVIOUSLY_PURCHASED}?" That's useful and probably worth billions in investment and research. The first company that can do this is the first company that gets to layoff its entire workforce and award themselves bonuses (To be clear, the future mass unemployability of the human race is a HUGE concern, I'm just explaining why a company might do this).

Edit to add to (3): You can have the individual robot remember this information, or transmit to other robots in the same store, but not back to HQ; or only transmit data stripped of anything that can be used to identify without a warrant.

4. This is sillier but if we ever end up with sentient robots, I obviously don't want them to be targets of discrimination that prevent them from having certain kinds of jobs because they might be too good at it.

5. If that robot is also a General Purpose robot that can also clean the floors, or stock the shelves, or answer questions, even better and better as to why its a humanoid robot and not just some self-checkout contraption.

Edit to add 6. The Robot won't judge you for buying 6 packages of buttermilk icecream at 4 AM.

Appreciate the effort, but this all sounds terrible, overcomplicated, expensive, invasive and unnecessary.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah but it's honestly stupid to me. I'm probably not understanding it right, but wouldn't it just lead to a chain reaction?

Fire your entire retail employees, then in the next month your profits drop significantly since nobody's buying your products, which lead to reducing your production numbers, which then lead to severe layoffs in factory workers/reduced orders from manufacturers, which then lead to less profit because nobody is buying anything, etc and so on.

Edit: I just dont really understand how this all really works

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

KickerOfMice posted:

Keeping "pittsburgh man calls police on mailbox" on my clipboard.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DynamicSloth posted:

The notion that anyone is launching an independent bid 21 months before election day is the joke. Schultz will never follow through, but he probably sold a couple more copies of his book and no one had to think about any of the policies that actual presidential candidates are proposing.

Are you saying he doesn't have enough time, or he should have waited? Perot announced less than 9 months before the election.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Mummy Xzibit posted:

It was -29 when I got up at 6 to let the dogs out, do I win a prize?

The border collie moseyed out there and peed as usual, but the Lhasa Apso dashed back inside as soon as her paws touched the ground. I lectured her about being bred in the Himalayas for cold weather but she didn't listen. Spoiled brat. :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Luckyellow posted:

Yeah but it's honestly stupid to me. I'm probably not understanding it right, but wouldn't it just lead to a chain reaction?

Fire your entire retail employees, then in the next month your profits drop significantly since nobody's buying your products, which lead to reducing your production numbers, which then lead to severe layoffs in factory workers/reduced orders from manufacturers, which then lead to less profit because nobody is buying anything, etc and so on.

race to the bottom / tragedy of the commons. If you can fire all your staff and replace them all with robots *before* anyone else does, then everyone else's employees will shop at your robot store, and you'll profit. Conversely, if you're the last company to go all robot, you'll be stuck having to pay real people while everyone else is paying robots and your company will collapse (even if it didn't collapse earlier from lack of people to buy your products).

Think of the market as a game of hungry hungry hippos where the marbles are potential customers. If a robo hippo grabs customers faster, it wins. Until there are no marbles left, but at that point everyone's lost anyway and the game is over and whoever had the most marbles in the meanwhile is the winner, because they still have their marbles and everyone else's stupid flesh hippos are all starving.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like we're a long way from the level of technology where this would work effectively. Self-checkouts kinda struggled with traction because people found them both fussy and because of the lack of human interaction.

Comptuers/AI are still not really at a level of interacting with humans in an effective & believable manner, without evoking some kind of uncanny valley discomfort. Hell, I find it sort of silly that the self-checkouts thank me for using them. I can't imagine how an older demographic would react to checkout robots that try to act human like.

A floorworker robot would very much need facial recognition, sure, but I think that level of automation is particularly far away.

Not to discount the possibility / eventuality of this stuff, but for the immediate future, no we do not need self-checkout robots with facial recognition

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Mummy Xzibit posted:

48 and foggy in the california delta, which, is really pretty comfortable compared to other places.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
We warmed up to -19 outside, my workplace is supposed to be climate controlled and is currently at 59.6...

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

KickerOfMice posted:

Last night, it was around -5 here, and when I walked outside to retrieve my elderly blind dog who started prancing in circles instead of coming back in, every step on my deck sounded like a gunshot. The boards were so frozen that they were cracking or something just from being walked on.

I live in a rural area where random distant gunshots happen all the time, but it still confused the hell out of my wife who thought I started randomly slamming things against the house or something.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
That weather ain't right.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

Comptuers/AI are still not really at a level of interacting with humans in an effective & believable manner, without evoking some kind of uncanny valley discomfort.

I mean, everyone everywhere is using siri just fine with no major troubles. I don't think siri or alexa are particularly "believable" but the secret to their success was realizing it didn't actually matter and people are fine with interacting with machines they know are just machines and they don't need to pretend to be rosie the robot with hearts and souls and can just be an interface with a pleasant voice.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mendrian posted:

The Right - and let's not kid ourselves, Schultz is a Republican too scared to call himself a Republican - get media attention basically just by saying poo poo that pisses off the Left. I wonder if it works the same way in the other direction.

It does except the media is The Racist Grandpa All Over America's Facebook page.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SocketWrench posted:

Oh yes, I've worked for places where this was a disciplinary level act. Write ups and/or suspension. Who am I kidding, I work for one of those places now. No one can discuss their raises, pay rates, or even bonuses they might earn. Technically I don't even know my pay rate because the shop went electronic paycheck and the website they use doesn't have a password recovery option

I thought it was illegal to punish workers from discussing pay with each other

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Luckyellow posted:

In addition to what Hieronymous Alloy writes; this is in fact one of the predicted fault lines that leads to economic collapse and "capitalism eating itself"; over automation happening at too fast a pace could lead to not only millions of unemployed, but millions of people who are unemployable in the current market. Things might get ugly really fast and lead to either a corporate dystopia or Full Space Communism Now to redistribute the rewards of automation.

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like we're a long way from the level of technology where this would work effectively. Self-checkouts kinda struggled with traction because people found them both fussy and because of the lack of human interaction.

Comptuers/AI are still not really at a level of interacting with humans in an effective & believable manner, without evoking some kind of uncanny valley discomfort. Hell, I find it sort of silly that the self-checkouts thank me for using them. I can't imagine how an older demographic would react to checkout robots that try to act human like.

A floorworker robot would very much need facial recognition, sure, but I think that level of automation is particularly far away.

Not to discount the possibility / eventuality of this stuff, but for the immediate future, no we do not need self-checkout robots with facial recognition

I'm speaking hypothetically but There's good reasons to think automation will continue and the number of jobs humans are suitable for will gradually decrease as a general trend.

But I mainly was just thinking and asking under what circumstances the recording of data would be tolerable if it gave you better service and convenience, and what safe guards would be needed to not cross the line.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Oxyclean posted:

they've gone from zero to everywhere in a couple of years in the UK

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A reminder that H1B Visa holders' salaries are required to be made public and you can search them by company to see a list of all of their H1B employees' salaries here: https://h1bdata.info/index.php It's anonymized and generally listed by title only, so don't worry too much about that, although if you search a company that only has a couple H1B employees then welp.

My wife always laughs at the handwringing over salary secrecy since she's a public school teacher and her current salary comes up in the top 10 results if you simply google her name.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/liamstack/status/1090634525863014401?s=20

Not a great day for redhats.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay I understand the concern here, but what happens if you have a robot sales clerk? Would it be okay to do facial recognition as long as the robot doesn't transmit that data to HQ?

Given this article posted earlier in the thread, how much do you trust that they wouldn't transmit that data to HQ?

techcrunch posted:

Desperate for data on its competitors, Facebook has been secretly paying people to install a “Facebook Research” VPN that lets the company suck in all of a user’s phone and web activity, similar to Facebook’s Onavo Protect app that Apple banned in June and that was removed in August. Facebook sidesteps the App Store and rewards teenagers and adults to download the Research app and give it root access to network traffic in what may be a violation of Apple policy so the social network can decrypt and analyze their phone activity, a TechCrunch investigation confirms.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Companies don't actually want you to know about discounts and coupons when you are actually making a purchase. There are literally billions of dollars of coupons printed every year that companies bank on people not using. I believe this is part of the move from coupons to redeemable point systems--plus redeemable point systems give you all the user purchasing data.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

jet sanchEz posted:

I drive a bus and we all make the same hourly rate but some guys work longer crews or do a lot more overtime so we are always comparing our salaries, especially towards the end of the year. It is just habit that I have generally curbed when not at work.

I would totally be interested in a thread about bus drivers, and driving buses, and the internal politics of driving buses, and other bus-related business stuff.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought it was illegal to punish workers from discussing pay with each other

It is. They still do it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Since I doubt you troll the redhat forums I'll spare you the misery; Almost all of them believe its a hoax and that he and his friends did it to discredit them and the godly good work of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Goosed it. posted:

Given this article posted earlier in the thread, how much do you trust that they wouldn't transmit that data to HQ?

Companies don't actually want you to know about discounts and coupons when you are actually making a purchase. There are literally billions of dollars of coupons printed every year that companies bank on people not using. I believe this is part of the move from coupons to redeemable point systems--plus redeemable point systems give you all the user purchasing data.

Apple has apparently banned literally all of Facebook's internal apps after this.