Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought it was illegal to punish workers from discussing pay with each other

don't be naive enough to assume that right to work won't use another excuse to let you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1090660773284757504

"How dare you ask that we allow slimy working class people have a say in the election?"

*retracts into turtle shell*

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought it was illegal to punish workers from discussing pay with each other

Are you in an at-will employment state? Good news, you've been fired for some other reason, or no reason at all. Have a good day!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

"How dare you ask that we allow slimy working class people have a say in the election?"

They just don't even care to hide it. it's still amazing to me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ozmunkeh posted:

Are you in an at-will employment state? Good news, you've been fired for some other reason, or no reason at all. Have a good day!

the most impressive thing about companies in at-will states is that they still frequently manage to muck this up

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, everyone everywhere is using siri just fine with no major troubles. I don't think siri or alexa are particularly "believable" but the secret to their success was realizing it didn't actually matter and people are fine with interacting with machines they know are just machines and they don't need to pretend to be rosie the robot with hearts and souls and can just be an interface with a pleasant voice.

I think the difference is people treat Siri/Alexa as a bit of a gimmick though - it's not really a transaction/interaction so much as it's just as it's a more elaborate clapper.

(IMO) All people want from automation is convenience. Stuff like Siri provides convenience - people don't go to siri because they want interaction. A self checkout could probably have some level of voice commands or what have you, but having it recognize you as a human and greet & interact with you is probably not what a lot of people are looking for.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm speaking hypothetically but There's good reasons to think automation will continue and the number of jobs humans are suitable for will gradually decrease as a general trend.

But I mainly was just thinking and asking under what circumstances the recording of data would be tolerable if it gave you better service and convenience, and what safe guards would be needed to not cross the line.

I don't disagree - automation is on the rise, but I think there will be a limit to it's reach for a long while. At some point you're going to have people who still want to interact with proper humans, either because the technology is imperfect, or discomforting. I personally foresee restaurants/retail advertising themselves as still employing humans both as a social conscious brag, but as a service add/premium experience.

I don't mind the thought experiment angle you're coming at it from, I'm just thinking it's not terrible practical yet - just from a personal perspective I imagine automated checkout could accomplish everything i need it to, without needing to address/recognize me as a person.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the most impressive thing about companies in at-will states is that they still frequently manage to muck this up

It's hard to lie/not provide a reason if you have a spine.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Did Covington thing disappear? I have not heard of any mass law suits.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Perhaps, but Jon Bois already provided a pretty conclusive history of future football.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

Note: this is a long time commitment but is the best media thing I read/experienced in 2018

Thanks for sharing this. It's a huge time sink but was magical.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Part of the "problem" is state labor depts are one of the very few government agencies who still take their job really seriously. If you do something protected and then get canned for no reason or a made up one, they actually will investigate

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They just don't even care to hide it. it's still amazing to me.

They know they don't have to. The people who are still on board with the GOP at this point are also 100% all-in on voter suppression and structural advantages to prop up their flagging demographics.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

No Safe Word posted:

Every time I read the words “McConnell rips” I always expect to read “a 6-foot long line of blow before screaming and setting his trousers ablaze on the Senate floor.”

Also on another note holy poo poo a federal voting holiday would be incredible.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1090639477809336320

I have noticed in my workplace that millennials have no problem comparing salaries, we do it over text and non-office chat and bitch about pay all the time. The older folks treat discussing pay as the worst sacrilege. I think the fear is that people will get mad at you for being paid more, but really they get pissed at the company and managers. Which makes the fear so dumb.

I almost got fired from my first job at a movie theater because I revealed that I was earning $6.50 as a new hire, while the veteran employees were only earning $6.25. They later went out of business, so I can't be too mad.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Squack McQuack posted:

I almost got fired from my first job at a movie theater because I revealed that I was earning $6.50 as a new hire, while the veteran employees were only earning $6.25. They later went out of business, so I can't be too mad.

God bless America.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1090652856372420609?s=19

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Oxyclean posted:

I think the difference is people treat Siri/Alexa as a bit of a gimmick though - it's not really a transaction/interaction so much as it's just as it's a more elaborate clapper.

(IMO) All people want from automation is convenience. Stuff like Siri provides convenience - people don't go to siri because they want interaction. A self checkout could probably have some level of voice commands or what have you, but having it recognize you as a human and greet & interact with you is probably not what a lot of people are looking for.

Yes. If automated checkouts were faster and easier than checkout staff, everyone would use them. The reason people hate them is that they are a pain in the arse and take about twice as long as a human worker.

Amazon.com is an entirely automated shop and people love it, because it’s so fast to use, even though it is a completely soulless and human interaction-free experience.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

DandyLion posted:

Since I doubt you troll the redhat forums I'll spare you the misery; Almost all of them believe its a hoax and that he and his friends did it to discredit them and the godly good work of Trump.
I won't lie, this scenario occurred to me, too. But because I'm not an rear end in a top hat, I shut up about it. Actual hoaxes fall apart at the slightest prodding from local investigators. If it were, we'd find out soon enough.

(Not because I don't think racist & homophobic crimes happen. The details of this one were just odd ... especially the awkward phrasing in the "MAGA country" bit. Assuming it's real, I'd bet the perpetrators are Proud Boys or other Extremely Online types, who might actually yell awkward Trump catchphrases like that.)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

That is it though, for a long time people seemed to think you needed some sort of intelligent machine with a heart and a soul that is a perfect synthetic replicant of a man or the dreaded uncanny valley would pick you up and carry you to hell and the whole thing would be a failure. But nope, no one really cared after all and amazon can sell 100 million amazon echos just fine. People are just apparently totally okay with interacting with machines where the machine is just a "elaborate clapper", no one actually cares.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Feinne posted:

Apple has apparently banned literally all of Facebook's internal apps after this.

That's not really a punishment. Based on this article, it seems like Apple is saying, "Hey, we don't trust you anymore so we won't allow any of these apps that you weren't really allowed to have before but you can still do everything else."

Unless I'm misreading, it reads to me like telling someone who was caught stealing fancy shoes that now they aren't allowed in the fancy shoe store.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Part of the "problem" is state labor depts are one of the very few government agencies who still take their job really seriously. If you do something protected and then get canned for no reason or a made up one, they actually will investigate
An interesting externality of the conservative strategy of making many government jobs incredibly awful is that only people who are really passionate about them persevere.

They're going to legislate these departments down to skeleton crews and get murdered in the coming skeleton war

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1090652723245006848?s=19

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Skippy McPants posted:

They know they don't have to. The people who are still on board with the GOP at this point are also 100% all-in on voter suppression and structural advantages to prop up their flagging demographics.

Yeah, this is a feature, not a bug for the people that vote R. They don't think minorities and people who live in urban areas deserve any political power. They will say things like "maybe people who don't know what 'x obscure governmental procedure' is shouldn't have the right to vote!"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yes. If automated checkouts were faster and easier than checkout staff, everyone would use them. The reason people hate them is that they are a pain in the arse and take about twice as long as a human worker.

People don't like self checkouts? It's always been faster in my experience, and I don't have to deal with a stranger commenting on my food.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Oxyclean posted:

Why would it be needed?

Is a robot sales clerk just an automated self checkout? I don't feel like you would need facial recognition to activate / use it, unless you wanted it to go full uncanny valley and have it address and interact with you. In which case, please, god no, never.

Cheap, animatronic baggers that smile at you - because that's all their plastimold faces can do.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That picture looks like it's just random people walking around to random places. Like on a weekend around lunch time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Squack McQuack posted:

What's really fun is working in HR doing payroll so you know what everyone is making. It really makes you wish you went into IT instead.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is it though, for a long time people seemed to think you needed some sort of intelligent machine with a heart and a soul that is a perfect synthetic replicant of a man or the dreaded uncanny valley would pick you up and carry you to hell and the whole thing would be a failure. But nope, no one really cared after all and amazon can sell 100 million amazon echos just fine. People are just apparently totally okay with interacting with machines where the machine is just a "elaborate clapper", no one actually cares.

I can't imagine I'm the only person who doesn't give a gently caress about getting "human interactions" out of my consumer experiences. Where I want human interactions is when I have a problem and need to call tech support, and don't want to deal with some fucko's lovely automated system.

Like it's pretty loving sad that people need that out of consumerism. I'd rather buy the things I need as efficiently as possible and use the time I save one having actual meaningful human interactions that don't revolve around consumer purchases.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Crabtree posted:

Cheap, animatronic baggers that smile at you - because that's all their plastimold faces can do.

Pretend I posted a gif of those lovely robot arms slamming your carton of eggs and loaf of bread into the side of the bagging area over and over at high speed

e:
https://goo.gl/images/AKQKXM

https://goo.gl/images/wqP9tx

and so on

frest fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 30, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1090669146977779712
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1090669709975003136

Holy poo poo. She just incinerated him...not even enough for a burn unit

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Current weather here:

timged for the whiners

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

No Safe Word posted:

How is that a power grab? Does he literally mean that gives too much power to the people?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:lol: owned by Republican governor

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1090665596222529536

quote:

Citing “conduct that violates civil rights,” lawyers for Gov. Matt Bevin say former Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis should be held responsible for nearly $225,000 in legal fees and court costs incurred by couples who sued her in 2015 when she refused to issue marriage licenses because of her religious opposition to same-sex marriage.

Although Bevin, a Republican, publicly has praised Davis as “an inspiration … to the children of America,” his attorneys are taking a more critical tone in court briefs, blaming the ex-clerk for failing to do her job following the U.S. Supreme Court’s June 2015 decision legalizing gay marriage.

A three-judge panel will hear arguments about the case’s expenses Thursday at the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati. A district judge ruled in 2017 that the couples suing for marriage licenses clearly prevailed and that the state of Kentucky must pay their fees and costs.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think that's because the laws let them get so cartoonishly evil that they sometimes have a hard time walking things back.

One place I worked the facility manager would just publicly harass people, threaten them with lawsuits if they talked to any regulatory agencies and his favorite line was telling everyone he could fire them for any reason if they so much as displeased him. He was only fired, after 18 years at the company, because he was consistently failing to meet output demands and losing the company money because he would sit in his office and play MMOs for months at a time. His bosses would harass you just as hard as he did if you tried to file a complaint about him so they didn't care about any of that, just that revenues were down.

I think occassionally someone has the money to fight or gets recorded evidence that can't be ignored but most people just eat poo poo.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CmdrRiker posted:

How is that a power grab? Does he literally mean that gives too much power to the people?

yeah, he's letting the mask slip and saying how republicans depend on voter suppression to win elections

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People don't like self checkouts? It's always been faster in my experience, and I don't have to deal with a stranger commenting on my food.

Please describe your weird food purchases in detail. TIA.

friendbot2000 posted:

Holy poo poo. She just incinerated him...not even enough for a burn unit

drat. I mean, I know she's gonna slip one day, and it'll be a good half-day or so for the right, but her consistency is amazing so far.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Well I was basically arguing against the idea we need self/automated checkouts need facial recognition, since the other poster implied people would want the checkout robot to behave human-like, or at least interact with them in a vaguely human manner.

I essentially agree people are fine interacting with machines - we've been doing it since the 90s and before. But I think when it comes down to it, people want their machines to be machines, and their humans to be humans. If someone wants to be served by a human, no amount of automation of techno-magic is going to solve that. But in many cases people will happily deal with a machine if it means convenience.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think there was a growing pains period where they didn't work very well that soured people on them. Just utter the phrase "unexpected item in the bagging area" and you'll probably get results. I also people with bigger orders don't want to deal with bagging their own stuff. Or lazy people.

I was thrilled to bits when my grocery store added self checkouts because I'm tend to make many trips throughout the week on the way home from work, and waiting in line to grab 3-4 items sucked. Self-checkouts just about never have a line.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CmdrRiker posted:

Too much voting is bad- The GOP

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

You know the answer, as does he. As does everyone, it's him saying the quiet part loud again.

There's no good argument against making election day a federal holiday, especially if you just remove Columbus day and replace it with Election Day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i think they are talking about the Venezuelan military, not the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Remember this handy guide: