Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Personally as long as I can keep up with stuff it's not a problem. Yeah GC is quite slow, but I'm up to date with it and it takes me literally two minutes every other day to read the new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I'm pretty sure the point at which people find that Gunnerkrigg Court has "changed" and "become slow" has nothing to do with the comic itself; it just indicates the point at which they've caught up and started reading weekly rather than archive binging. Personally I've found going back and re-reading chapters once they finish helps cure this syndrome.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nah I was reading along back when it had like a dozen chapters and the comic looked like Hey Arnold fanart, it was only after Jeanne died that it started just spinning its wheels

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 29, 2019

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

nah I was reading along back when it had like a dozen chapters and the comic looked like Hey Arnold fanart, it was only after Jeanne died that it started just spinning its wheels

is it the comic with the lemonheads?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

jalapeno_dude posted:

I'm pretty sure the point at which people find that Gunnerkrigg Court has "changed" and "become slow" has nothing to do with the comic itself; it just indicates the point at which they've caught up and started reading weekly rather than archive binging. Personally I've found going back and re-reading chapters once they finish helps cure this syndrome.

Don't bother, some people just don't like things that are good

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I like that everyone's still reading gunnerkrigg court even if they think it's boring now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

I like that everyone's still reading gunnerkrigg court even if they think it's boring now.

This thread has regular discussions about Questionable Content, it's obvious that everyone's too lazy to update their RSS readers and/or bookmark folder and will continue reading crap well past the point they care.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nah there's a whole separate thread here for Gunnerkrigg discussion that's overwhelmingly positive. Plenty of people are reading it because they actually still enjoy it and not just out of habit.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Yeah I still type https://www.gunnerkriggcourt.uk into the taskbar on a regular basis to check up. I don't think I can say that about any other comic still going.

E: thats not true actually i read some others but its a lower number than it used to be. I read opus cause they post it on instagram and that makes it a web comic. And let me tell you folks, new opus sucks bad. it's like the thomas kinkade of comics. I thought bringing back the daily format would help but it did not. there are no swearing rodents any more even, its just opus wearing a diaper.

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 30, 2019

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
I wish Back updated more frequently

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I continue to keep forgetting that Back exists. It's not bad, it just updates so slowly that it falls of my radar and then I check on it again and it's updated like twice in the past year.

Like Lackadaisy, except without the excuse of Tracy Butler being a goddess of perfectionism.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Don't bother, some people just don't like things that are good

It'd be nice if people could vocalize dissatisfaction with a comic they're invested in without a weirdo like you always showing up to aggressively defend it to a creepy degree.

I think a clear through line was cut by resolving the Jeanne ghost arc. Certainly one of the longest-running ones and potentially the one that digs closest to a lot of other background mysteries about the nature of the court and its founding. There are pleny of other threads hanging, and some will definitely be answered in 5-10 years, but I can get how someone might be disappointed that a completely new conflict literally manifested itself rather than visiting older mysteries first. Yes, this is some plot of Coyote's that will be at least partially answered with some backfilling explanation in a few years, but that's still a long time to wait for a plot to justify itself in retrospect.

Samuringa posted:

I'm honestly wondering what you expect "deal with her father being lovely" to be. Neither of them has the option of leaving the Court, even before the current arc. They are both broken people, in more than one way. They're both, slowly, trying to deal with themselves, since the story began, and each other, since Tony has been reintroduced. No one has been "cured" or magically got better, it has been, as the entire comic story, unraveling at its own pace, which is often purposely made unclear but not maliciously.

They can't fix him spontaneously and neither send him to "Bad Dad Jail" and call it a day.

Annie is 14 or 15, max and the primary cause of her many issues is the emotionally distant father that abandoned her for three years of her life immediately after her mother died. It's pretty hosed up to call her a "broken person" like her dad when she's dealing with a lot of abandoment issues and unhealthy coping strategies because of him. Particularly when all of the adults around her offer barebones support or excuxes at best. There's no reason to think either she or her father are in therapy because Annie's never been shown in any sort of counseling at any point despite showing red flags for years.

I'm not expecting some kind of detailed and fulfilling arc about how the female protagonist deals with her daddy issues. Lord knows that's a tired route for this to go down, but running into "It's Complicated!" every time it comes up is uncomfortable, too.

And since we're into the "don't like it, don't read it!!!!" stage of this, I want it on the record that I like Gunnerkrigg enough to remain invested in the characters. I'm just not optimistic about the resolution of the many stories coming together in a way that doesn't diminish the abusive aspects of Annie's relationship with her dad. I'm willing to wait and see if I'm wrong though.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

GC for me was like the Steven Moffat of webcomics. I loved it for a very long time but eventually being strung along waiting for payoffs to threads that had been ongoing for years and years and being drip-fed new hooks was just becoming exhausting. After the Jeanne thing was resolved my interest just nosedived and I haven't read it really since then. If it resolves at some point I'll go read through and finish it; going through everything since then in one big chunk instead of three pages per week will be a lot more tolerable.

(yes I'm aware I have a GC avatar, someone cool bought it for me and I don't have the heart to change it)

^: This was also a huge factor in my tanking interest. Anthony is a poo poo person and after he showed up the constant "oh he's just ~quirky~, here's some backstory on him and how he met Surma" was borderline unbearable.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 30, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

It'd be nice if people could vocalize dissatisfaction with a comic they're invested in without a weirdo like you always showing up to aggressively defend it to a creepy degree.

Cool your jets, I made a few dumb comments. It's fine to not like it.

I actually agree that it's slow and I can totally see how that might turn someone off. I just happen to like slow webcomics.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I don't think the comic's endorsing Tony at all, some dads are bad and there's really nothing their kids can do about it and nobody's going to swoop in to intervene on their behalf because that means getting Involved, that is the bad dad experience. It's pretty clear that the comic's not done with him and there'll probably be some resolution there at some point but it's also becoming clear that right as it might've gone somewhere it's getting pushed back in line behind a lot of new poo poo that hasn't earned any level of investment and which if the comic had lead with I wouldn't have bothered reading it.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 30, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I don't think the comic's endorsing Tony at all, some dads are bad and there's really nothing their kids can do about it and nobody's going to swoop in to intervene on their behalf because that means getting Involved, that is the bad dad experience. It's pretty clear that the comic's not done with him and there'll probably be some resolution there at some point but it's also becoming clear that right as it might've gone somewhere it's getting pushed back in line behind a lot of new poo poo that hasn't earned any level of investment and which if the comic had lead with I wouldn't have bothered reading it.

The comic isn't endorsing Tony. It's possible for something to be kind of carelessly pushed in a corner in an uncomfortable way without being a ringing affirmation of emotional abuse.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Mr Phillby posted:

It's amazing how this transitions so seamlessly from the dumbest internet shock humour into a loving pastiche of shonen manga played almost 100% straight. This is wonderful in a way that I don't usualy find these 'all your favorite cartoons, but horribly violent and they smoke weed' type of things.

this webcomic made me love battle shonen again.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I continue to keep forgetting that Back exists. It's not bad, it just updates so slowly that it falls of my radar and then I check on it again and it's updated like twice in the past year.

Like Lackadaisy, except without the excuse of Tracy Butler being a goddess of perfectionism.

Back has been updating weekly for a while now

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah Back has kept a pretty regular Thursday update schedule for like, most of it. I can recall maybe like one several month hiatus.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

character development!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hello this perfectly encapsulates the webcomics experience for me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Branson is great and I wish Swan Boy didn't have such a lovely website because those strips are fantastic

edit:

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 31, 2019

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
bransons cool but holy gently caress i do not like that comic lmao

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

swan boy is good times

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Samuringa posted:

Branson is great and I wish Swan Boy didn't have such a lovely website because those strips are fantastic

It's especially frustrating when he makes great comics that have tiny, tiny details that are impossible to read in the current layout.

Anyways here are some of my favorites that don't suffer from that:

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
let's all have sex

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i send you an autocad model of my rear end in a top hat so you can 3d print it in organic beeswax. this reproduces the actual experience of intercourse with me, as i melt on contact with human skin and congeal into a puddled sexy mess. for added realism you can tune into a 24/7 livestream of my farts and loud religious ejaculations as you struggle to hold the liquefying imitation rear end in a top hat together long enough to penetrate it

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
can someone please buy me an avatar, i don't care what of

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i spent my last dollar on a dna test that told me i am genetically "25% eastern european", a description so utterly useless that contemplating it has sent me into an existential spiral. now i cannot eat, nor drink, nor clothe myself, nor un-ban this account when its time inevitably comes

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
actually no please don't buy me an avatar, i just remembered the endless stream of gofundmes that break my heart on twitter and tumblr every day, please donate your ten dollars to one of them instead

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
oh man

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
how weird is this century

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pikachode posted:

can someone please buy me an avatar, i don't care what of

Stop buying 5 billion accounts and you can afford to get an avatar every now and then Avs.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

anyway this century is pretty weird op but today i found out that we killed so drat many native americans that it caused dramatic climate change in the 1600/1700s and also that ducks like this once existed but were wiped out basically instantaneously on contact w humans

idk what my point really is but weve been fuckups for a super long time

anyway in actual webcomics talk corny works real hard on composition and it shows go read never satisfied nerds

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
lmao it grabbed the kickstarter bit

hey bea i didnt really want to think about what jed looks like but unfortunately now im going to be stuck wondering what jed looks like until presumably next update so congrats on that

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i love the joke beat on that page of ns

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It turns out that Lucy's secret power is the ability to manifest a glowing advertisement for crowdfunded indie publishing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Whoever linked Sword Interval a bit ago, thanks! The latest update was the perfect time to get caught up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He was a good boy. The end! No moral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

I feel like this is the moral!

pikachode posted:

i spent my last dollar on a dna test that told me i am genetically "25% eastern european", a description so utterly useless that contemplating it has sent me into an existential spiral. now i cannot eat, nor drink, nor clothe myself, nor un-ban this account when its time inevitably comes

This DNA is your ticket to falsely installing yourself as rightful ruler of some formerly soviet nation state with a very long name