Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pictured: All 5 remaining polar bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Got accused of using emotional logic today when talking about the massive scientific consensus behind climate change. That one threw me for a loop.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fallom posted:

Got accused of using emotional logic today when talking about the massive scientific consensus behind climate change. That one threw me for a loop.

jfc

How did they define / use 'emotional logic' in context? I teach a psedoscience course at my college so am actually quite interested in how people go about this poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Being passionate about objectivity is its own emotional trap. Checkmate, science.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That Works posted:

jfc

How did they define / use 'emotional logic' in context?

Well, this is the man that....draws very muscular imagery of Trump.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That Works posted:

jfc

How did they define / use 'emotional logic' in context? I teach a psedoscience course at my college so am actually quite interested in how people go about this poo poo.

I didn’t engage with that point but from the context it seemed like they were trying to imply that excessive emotional attachment to the environment might lead one to latch on to studies that confirm that viewpoint. Obviously that argument is completely insane given that we’re talking about the entire planet’s worth of scientists lining up against Mr. Burns and guys who think the concept of nutrition is a leftist plot.

To be honest I wish I could find some way out of this mental mode I currently feel where it seems like the rational world is slipping away and I need to engage with these people in order to feel like I’m helping in some way. Being dismissive works great on the internet but not in real life when somebody you’d otherwise respect starts going off on a science denialism tangent.

I’ll note that these feelings became more prominent when I started drinking less.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That Works posted:

jfc

I find that poo poo heads using the phrase 'emotional logic' are almost universally the kind of person who slurps down anything that confirms their world view then barfs it back out at people in a meaningless, eternally smug string of poorly understood bullshit. That specific phrase is a lynchpin of right wing grifters.

I personally associate it with Ben Shapiro and his 'facts not feelings' tag line. Those guidelines have not yet failed me in the rare occasion I come across someone using it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Excessive emotional attachment to the environment.....

Slap the poo poo out of them for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Imagine the kind of guy who reads Do Androids Dream... and gets excited about the state of the world.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ve seen shitlords earnestly argue that rape victims shouldn’t have a seat the table discussing sexual assault policies/laws/etc because they are too emotionally compromised.

It’s almost like “emotional” is a cudgel to shut out ideas you don’t like or to marginalize people.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

I didn’t engage with that point but from the context it seemed like they were trying to imply that excessive emotional attachment to the environment might lead one to latch on to studies that confirm that viewpoint. Obviously that argument is completely insane given that we’re talking about the entire planet’s worth of scientists lining up against Mr. Burns and guys who think the concept of nutrition is a leftist plot.

To be honest I wish I could find some way out of this mental mode I currently feel where it seems like the rational world is slipping away and I need to engage with these people in order to feel like I’m helping in some way. Being dismissive works great on the internet but not in real life when somebody you’d otherwise respect starts going off on a science denialism tangent.

I’ll note that these feelings became more prominent when I started drinking less.

People honestly believe that the earth is flat.

We've slipped from any grounding in reality a long time ago. What used to be satire is now irrefutable truth, and it's impossible to know who's in on the joke and who truly believes in it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

61° in the Sandhills on February 3, 2019.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

These are the same type that got mad about the Gillette ads saying “don’t be shitheads”, they’re just cosplaying as rational. As soon as they feel threatened in some way I bet the mask slips.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fallom posted:

excessive emotional attachment to the environment might lead one to latch on to studies that confirm that viewpoint.

They need to meet more scientists.

We're happy to devil's advocate any number of horror when working out a hypothesis.

Thanks for the further description. I've seen similar things as well. Sadly confirmation bias and belief permanence are abundant.

I typically try to get them to state why they disagree with consensus, ie based on what actual data but I'm a bit different background going into that kind of argument.

Class is fun though. My opening lecture last week was "The Earth is flat" and today was "the earth is 6000 yrs old". Had a geologist give most of the talk on carbon dating and how it works etc.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
As much as Dick Dorkins is a lovely person, I found his breakdown of how we know evolution is real from like a dozen different avenues of approach very good for going from accepting that evolution was real cause why would scientists lie to Knowing its real.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

As much as Dick Dorkins is a lovely person, I found his breakdown of how we know evolution is real from like a dozen different avenues of approach very good for going from accepting that evolution was real cause why would scientists lie to Knowing its real.

It is, and I can't stand Dawkins either. A friend of mine in evolutionary biology gives the "man over monkey" lecture and he was the class favorite last year. Hell I learned tons, it ruled and the students were very engaged.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Huh. Earlier, the Chicago PD basically said "we checked over hundreds of hours of tape and didn't find any evidence of the assault of the Empire guy, but we're still looking!"

Looks like they found it.

https://twitter.com/AJGuglielmi/status/1090744809579601923

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That Works posted:

It is, and I can't stand Dawkins either. A friend of mine in evolutionary biology gives the "man over monkey" lecture and he was the class favorite last year. Hell I learned tons, it ruled and the students were very engaged.

Dawkins is good at evolution. And that's about it. He's an rear end in a top hat and he's a jerk, and unless it relates to his field, he should go away.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Dawkins is good at evolution. And that's about it. He's an rear end in a top hat and he's a jerk, and unless it relates to his field, he should go away.

Haah yeah he should come with a "ban me if I'm posting outside of X forum" warning.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat and he's a jerk, and unless it relates to his field, he should go away.

academia.txt

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1090744739194986503?s=21

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
boil him in coffee

e: or feed him to tigers, and sell the poo poo to rich idiots, like kopi luwak

Tryzzub fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 31, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:negative:

Guilty

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Retardog posted:

I watched that Howard Schultz interview this morning and one of the other hosed up things he did was lump the teacher’s union in with Big Pharma and the NRA as special interests that we need to get rid of.

One of my biz school mentors was a super rich guy from the area and yeah this is absolutely a thing they believe. Schultz thinks he's a liberal because he put the NRA on that list and he might have gay friends. The mega rich guy idea space is to the right of trump on a lot of things.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:shuckyes:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Best Friends posted:

One of my biz school mentors was a super rich guy from the area and yeah this is absolutely a thing they believe. Schultz thinks he's a liberal because he put the NRA on that list and he might have gay friends. The mega rich guy idea space is to the right of trump on a lot of things.

The ultra-rich not wanting the poors to own guns is a position I'm surprised more of them don't take.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You’d think cops would be more vocal about it too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fallom posted:

You’d think cops would be more vocal about it too

Hard to support something that poor people with thinly concealed priors would suffer unilaterally from.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Fallom posted:

If you can get a legit honest answer out of 2 questions, you ask them:

1/ What if I'm wrong?

and

2/ What if YOU are wrong?

And things like this usually the answer to if they are wrong is "gently caress WE ALL DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH" . And if they are honestly willing to gamble billions of lives on some fringe belief just so they can be edgyyyyyy, well then, you know what opinion you should have of them.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I see Garrison is signing his work twice now.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Best Friends posted:

Dude's a piece of poo poo, but he's not entirely out of line with calling himself a liberal. Plenty of popularly-described liberals in the last 50 years have been working hard with the GOP to turn our social safety net into a husk of its former self, hand matters of public interest over to private corporations, and otherwise empower the rich. If you believe that government has a proactive role to play in making everyone better off, you're probably better off explicitly identifying as a leftist at this point.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/iraqschristians/status/1090075384991961090

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The troops remain supported.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-d...-pay-fine-of-1/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

we're screaming the quiet part wrt our foreign policy

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bolton's a piece of poo poo, but he's motivated by carnage and child death, not oil. He's saying that bullshit line to draw Donnie's attention and get his support for an invasion, because Donnie is always yammering about taking Iraq's oil.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Bolton's a piece of poo poo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pro tip reason does not work on entrenched reactionaries, if you cannot sever at least mock them relentlessly

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I thought that was too on the nose, then I noticed the user name :discoursechef:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just saw this truck heading toward the back gates to SeaTac airport and recognized the sign.

Ammo for a regular training exercise, or AN INVASION OF VENEZUELA??! :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
We have reason to believe that Venezuela is developing weapons of mass destruction. Recent intelligence suggests Maduro has attempted to procure aluminium tubes and yellow cake.