Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

pointsofdata posted:

If I am a bad photographer who mostly wants to take (nice) travel and family/friends shots, will a lose out on much with the m43 pancake zooms compared to the pro one with the same focal lengths? I'm more bothered by the additional weight than the price

For reference I currently have a x100s, which I like using. Not even sure that it's worth replacing but having just one zoom option does feel a bit restricting sometimes.

You will lose some sharpness (especially wide open), some light gathering capability and the weather sealing.
You probably won't need the extra f-stops unless you spend a lot of time in dark cathedrals etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

If I am a bad photographer who mostly wants to take (nice) travel and family/friends shots, will a lose out on much with the m43 pancake zooms compared to the pro one with the same focal lengths? I'm more bothered by the additional weight than the price

For reference I currently have a x100s, which I like using. Not even sure that it's worth replacing but having just one zoom option does feel a bit restricting sometimes.

I'm not remotely professional, and I'm not huge on pixel peeping so long as I like the overall results I'm getting. That considered, anecdotally I really do like the panasonic 12-32mm pancake zoom for walking about without a specific goal in mind. There may be copy variation issues sometimes, but I haven't felt like mine lets me down in terms of image quality at all. The OIS enables dual IS with a panasonic body, which helps it punch a little further above its weight in low light as well.

My recently acquired panasonic 20mm prime may produce slightly nicer images if I really look, but I got it more because I like primes and it's good to have a wide aperture option, not because I felt the kit zoom fell short of what I want to do. I appreciate that you could add the 12-32 to almost any bag just to have on hand for flexibility and be no more burdened for it. Only real downsides would be that it isn't as heavy duty as a more expensive non-collapsible zoom, and it lacks a manual focus ring.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thanks - sounds like the pancake is sufficient, lack of weather sealing is a bit sad but I doubt I would use it much.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

pointsofdata posted:

I mostly do family/friends/travel type stuff and the longest I tend to use is short telephoto for portraits, but even that isn't really necessary. If you don't have a m43 setup you can cover most of your wide/standard needs cropping on the x100s. Unless you have some specific use case that requires reach, like wildlife/sports, I doubt it would be worth the extra money/hassle.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

tino posted:

Anyone has weight spec of the new 16-80/4? You probably can guess how much Fuji want to price it, I hope its in the same tier as the 18-135mm. I am running around the house looking for old gear to sell already. Too bad Canada no longer sell Fuji gear a discount rate.

I haven't seen any weight specs yet, but the mock-ups they've shown are about the same size or slightly smaller than the 18-135mm which would put it in the ~500g range.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

ONE

HUNDRED

EIGHTY

SEVEN

MEGA

PIXELS

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-announcement-tomorrow-s1r-can-take-187-mp-high-resolution-images-but-on-tripod-only/

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

I can't register how big it is. Can I even view it on a normal image viewer?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I like the sound of the Sony multi-shot implementation. It uses pixel-shift to increase color depth and detail without producing a giant bajillion-megapixel file that hogs up space and processing power. Or something like that.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Terrifying Effigies posted:

It's hard, but I'm still holding out for the 16-80 f/4. I'd rather trade the one f-stop for smaller size, longer reach, and OIS.

Yup, I’m waiting on that too but I got the current 16-55 for such a good deal I decided to pull the trigger.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Am I crazy, or does Fuji not make a rangefinder style APS-C body that's interchangeable lens, with an EVF and tilting screen?

Basically what i'm looking for is the GFX 50R but in APS-C. The XE-3 is close, but doesn't have a tilting LCD...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A tilt screen would be second on my magic perfect x200 wish list after weather sealing, my pet photo game has definitely suffered in the last year.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Fuji XA series has tilting screen.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

tino posted:

Fuji XA series has tilting screen.

I thought the XA's didn't have an EVF, did they add one to a newer model?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

frogbs posted:

I thought the XA's didn't have an EVF, did they add one to a newer model?

No I missed that requirement. A lot of high end pro bodies don't have tile screen anyway.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

tino posted:

I just check resell price of the 18-55mm on ebay, this lens doesn't depreciate.

I wonder how long that will be the case after the 16-80 gets a solid release date. I'm definitely planning to move to it when it comes out, and will be selling the 18-55 pretty soon. I've got to send my copy in for warranty service first, though. The OIS won't turn off.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought a fellow goons GX85. I’ve kinda missed having a mft camera to complement my Fuji stuff.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Managed to find a barely touched xf16-55 for around $750, and yegods it really is as big as all the claims. The AF on it is fast though, absurdly fast in reasonable light. I can't wait to work with it tomorrow!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

sildargod posted:

Managed to find a barely touched xf16-55 for around $750, and yegods it really is as big as all the claims. The AF on it is fast though, absurdly fast in reasonable light. I can't wait to work with it tomorrow!

Indeed it is YUGE.

I really want the new 16-80 f4 to drop before I head out to Colorado in May so I don't have to lug this thing with me.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I bought a fellow goons GX85. I’ve kinda missed having a mft camera to complement my Fuji stuff.

Yay. I feel my choices are validated.

Thanks to this thread, I'm now the owner of Takumar1:1.4/50mm lens that I picked up from an eBay seller in Japan. I'd forgotten how much fun Japanese eBay can be. The seller also included some Chazuke to put on some boiled rice. AAA would buy again.

Yikes what am I looking at here?

And fitted.

I tried it on my older Panasonic GF1, but the camera thought that no lens was fitted, so no dice.

On the GX80, it works well, I think. It's heavy, and the aperture ring is a little stiff, but I've already had a few A-ha moments while using it. (Obvious stuff for you lot, I'm sure, but for a neophyte like me? Of course it's going to be hard to manually focus with the aperture ring wide open - the depth of field is really shallow. Stuff like that?)

Thanks for the advice, thread - I'm off to play.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just got a very good deal on the Fuji X-T20 and 18-55 lens, so the X-T30 will probably be announced on Tuesday at this rate.

Don’t care, just want to start picking up the Fuji lenses what have all the magic.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

harperdc posted:

Just got a very good deal on the Fuji X-T20 and 18-55 lens, so the X-T30 will probably be announced on Tuesday at this rate.

Don’t care, just want to start picking up the Fuji lenses what have all the magic.

While I’m certain the X-T30 will be a great camera, my 20 has served me incredibly well. Just enjoy it. New cameras don’t make old, good cameras obsolete.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

harperdc posted:

Thursday, if rumors are accurate but there won't be any very good deals on them for quite some time.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
The time is getting close for me to buy a new camera. My existing DSLR is ridiculously old, and I'll hopefully have saved up enough to buy something in the next few months. I had previously assumed I'd just get a new Canon, but unfortunately I've started to become mirrorless-curious. I've come to this thread looking for a camera therapist of sorts; I would like some help better judging my options.

I currently have 4-5 Canon lenses, nothing too fancy, probably a ~$1k worth of glass. I wouldn't really want to sell them because I still like using them for film. So, having twice the quantity of lenses, and needing to buy new ones would be a downside of going mirrorless.

The main appeal of mirrorless to me is size and weight, since I tend to a camera around wherever I go. I haven't done enough research, so I don't know how prevalent it is, but I also like that many seem to have good weather sealing, and image stabilization, and many are just newer than Canon's offerings.

One of my worries is that I might be distracted by "new and shiny", and focusing on small details, rather than fully evaluating to make the best decision. Can anyone help talk some sense into me?

Also, (besides a viewfinder, which I know I will miss a lot) are there any drawbacks to mirrorless compared to a DSLR?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pseudorandom posted:

The time is getting close for me to buy a new camera. My existing DSLR is ridiculously old, and I'll hopefully have saved up enough to buy something in the next few months. I had previously assumed I'd just get a new Canon, but unfortunately I've started to become mirrorless-curious. I've come to this thread looking for a camera therapist of sorts; I would like some help better judging my options.

I currently have 4-5 Canon lenses, nothing too fancy, probably a ~$1k worth of glass. I wouldn't really want to sell them because I still like using them for film. So, having twice the quantity of lenses, and needing to buy new ones would be a downside of going mirrorless.

The main appeal of mirrorless to me is size and weight, since I tend to a camera around wherever I go. I haven't done enough research, so I don't know how prevalent it is, but I also like that many seem to have good weather sealing, and image stabilization, and many are just newer than Canon's offerings.

One of my worries is that I might be distracted by "new and shiny", and focusing on small details, rather than fully evaluating to make the best decision. Can anyone help talk some sense into me?

Also, (besides a viewfinder, which I know I will miss a lot) are there any drawbacks to mirrorless compared to a DSLR?

Most mirrorless have a viewfinder. Consider just buying the canon mirrorless and an adapter for your EOS lenses.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Battery life takes a penalty in most cases.

What’s stopping you from nabbing a used 6D MkII?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

holocaust bloopers posted:

What’s stopping you from nabbing a used 6D MkII?

I still need to consult the Canon thread, but I thought the 80D was generally considered to be slightly better of the current options available. Though, re-reading a comparison now, a 6D MkII does seem like it would be good, even with some of its shortcomings.

torgeaux posted:

Consider just buying the canon mirrorless and an adapter for your EOS lenses.

This would be a cool option, but honestly if I stayed with Canon I would probably just stay with an SLR. The EOS R is a bigger price tag with not as significant size/weight benefits as a m4/3.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

There's the newer smaller cheaper(?) EOS-RP coming out soon.

The M5 actually seems decent and not very expensive compared to other brands' mirrorless offerings if EF-S/apsc sensor cameras are an option. Thanks to Sigma the apsc dslr (and adapted apsc dslr lenses on EOS-M) world has some pretty nice optics, like those f/1.8 zooms.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Bought the 100-300 mk ii Panasonic which fills my desire for that Fuji 100-400 (mostly). Not a bad lens at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bobfather posted:

While I’m certain the X-T30 will be a great camera, my 20 has served me incredibly well. Just enjoy it. New cameras don’t make old, good cameras obsolete.

absolutely -- that was part of my thought process. I've enjoyed having a smaller mirrorless this year, and having one that's even more capable is great. I just need to learn how to take advantage and use the camera (I'm far too versed in Canon menus), and save up again for lenses.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

pseudorandom posted:

Get an og 5D and spend the large amount of money you save not getting a new camera on more glass :getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

rio posted:

Get an og 5D and spend the large amount of money you save not getting a new camera on more glass :getin:

This but a 5D mk II so you have something usable above ISO 3200.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Bought the 100-300 mk ii Panasonic which fills my desire for that Fuji 100-400 (mostly). Not a bad lens at all.

I have that one as well, for less than $500 it's really a good deal. I'm surprised at how well the dual axis image stabilization works.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
edit: wrong thread

tino fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 11, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tino posted:

Guys, I have a Zenwatch 2. But the charger is melt because it was plugged in for too long or something. You just need to get a replacement charger on ebay for 5 bux.

PM me if you want it. I am getting rid of my extra gadgets. Already sold 2 Gshocks and a Suunto Ambit.

WHat kind of IS does it have? :v:

E: and can I adapt OM lenses to it?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

Only accepts screw mount

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

DJExile posted:

LOL I had no idea I post it in the mirrorless thread instead of smart watch thread by mistake. You guys can all shame me for owning multiple android watches.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Edit: Disregard. Took my question to the Canon thread

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 11, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I stumbled across this video and it's hilarious because he's just like "I shoot auto at F2 and -1 exposure and uhhh that's it" since the usual "settings" video is like 15 minutes long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YgrJdwzZkU
Looking at his stuff he's pretty aggro in lightroom to create his AESTHETIC but at least he has a style.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

qirex posted:

I stumbled across this video and it's hilarious because he's just like "I shoot auto at F2 and -1 exposure and uhhh that's it" since the usual "settings" video is like 15 minutes long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YgrJdwzZkU
Looking at his stuff he's pretty aggro in lightroom to create his AESTHETIC but at least he has a style.

Some may not love the overprocessing (and I'll agree a few of his almost hit that "surreal HDR cartoon look" point), but that general aesthetic gets me every time. To oversimplify, generally seems they augment the neon signs with split toning, lifted blacks, and the ground being wet. This guy's night time Tokyo cityscape stuff is what originally motivated me to buy a proper camera and start learning both photography and post-processing, even though I've neither become quite so good nor spend much time within dense cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do wish macro was a little better on my x100, if I eventually go to a Fuji ILC do the equivalent lenses perform better close up? I’m guessing it’s a function of how small the actual lens on the x100 is.

I love the Liam Wong, etc. look but what it makes me want to do is figure out my own style that works here in SF in particular. We don’t have a ton of neon but we have fun little alleys and stuff. I think because I’ve been editing photos for like 30 years I’m hesitant to do anything beyond the barest processing. I’ll probably get over it as I improve In Lightroom.