Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Ask Carly Fiorina

That was during the primary, wasn't it? And how'd that work out for her?

gohmak posted:

Nina Turner as a VP for Bernie or Warren solves some issues.

Yeah, but would she accept until it's a done deal, is the question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

That was during the primary, wasn't it? And how'd that work out for her?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

gohmak posted:

Is it unheard of for a someone to announce a vp pick before the primaries?
I don't think anyone's ever done so before the primaries begin. Desperate losers like Cruz have tried late in the primary calendar but there are good reasons to wait until the convention if you expect to win.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

If he was in the original poll I would vote for my stupid governor with no chance of winning.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Are you factoring in the Democrats nuking the 60 vote threshold or something? The Senate is hosed anyway.

Brown is a sitting Senator. If he becomes president, that seat goes up for grabs.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Polling people in my family and job the common theme is Bernie is old as gently caress. He needs a young black woman to undercut Harris in the south.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A few suggestions that you’re all free to ignore, and almost certainly will:

Can we just not talk about Kamala Harris for a few days? This poo poo is so repetitive at this point. At least avoid the truancy topic. I would rather people talk about Schultz, even if it’s technically off topic.

Nina Turner is not going to be VP. Stop.

Can we once, ever have a conversation about Sherrod Brown that doesn’t end with “but the senate!”? It’s been covered, really, and is a dumb reason to write someone off entirely. At least talk about his weird healthcare stance or the “dignity of work” stuff, which I think we all agree is pretty dumb but might be effective messaging. Given, you know, “America”, which is the country that people are running to lead and not the United States of CSPAM.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cerebral Bore posted:

When the poor person gets busted for jaywalking they can't afford take a day off to appear in court or they'll get fired for missing work but if they don't they'll get nailed with contempt charges, thus completely loving them over either way. When the rich person gets busted for jaywalking, OK, I can't even finish that sentence because there's no way in hell that would ever happen, but if it by some miracle did, it's a minor annoyance at best and will not actually affect them in any material way whatsoever.

And so the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Okay, so I don't drive a car and have been using public transit for about the last 13 years, and I've seen a lot of jaywalking and even done it once or twice myself and I know that in my hellscape of a city that most of the jaywalkers are poor, partially because many of them are going from bus stop to bus stop against a light or trying to catch a departing bus, and then there's some that flatly just don't care. However the fact that capitalism is barbaric toward the poor doesn't make it any more socially acceptable for people to be a traffic hazard?

The solution to what you're speaking of is to prevent capitalism from loving over people raw.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Craptacular! posted:

Okay, so I don't drive a car and have been using public transit for about the last 13 years, and I've seen a lot of jaywalking and even done it once or twice myself and I know that in my hellscape of a city that most of the jaywalkers are poor, partially because many of them are going from bus stop to bus stop against a light or trying to catch a departing bus, and then there's some that flatly just don't care. However the fact that capitalism is barbaric toward the poor doesn't make it any more socially acceptable for people to be a traffic hazard?

The solution to what you're speaking of is to prevent capitalism from loving over people raw.

i hope you're sent to jail for having a flagrant disregard for the law and being a traffic hazard

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

You are aware that there are many things people generally agree are dangerous or inconveniencing to others that are not illegal and carry no official punishment, right? It's not like there's some universal law that the state must takes action against all things that are bad. There are many things it is not suited to directly addressing without making the situation worse.

Mellow Seas posted:

A few suggestions that you’re all free to ignore, and almost certainly will:

Can we just not talk about Kamala Harris for a few days? This poo poo is so repetitive at this point. At least avoid the truancy topic. I would rather people talk about Schultz, even if it’s technically off topic.

Nina Turner is not going to be VP. Stop.

Can we once, ever have a conversation about Sherrod Brown that doesn’t end with “but the senate!”? At least talk about his weird healthcare stance or the “dignity of work” stuff, which I think we all agree is pretty dumb but might be effective messaging. Given, you know, “America”, which is the country that people are running to lead and not the United States of CSPAM.

Why is this bothering you? Discussing Harris makes a lot of sense because she is the obvious establishment front-runner who just recently declared (and like most discussions of this nature, it has continued largely because there have been people contesting various points; if everyone agreed it likely would have fizzled out). Brown has been discussed before (there was a discussion about his questionable stance on MfA and his financial incentives for opposing it), but he is unlikely to have much of a chance in the primary and is also pretty lame and not particularly noteworthy. We know Warren is running and she is far better than Brown.

If you like Harris, or if you're afraid that talking about her might be harmful in some way, I think it would be better to just directly bring that up. Instead you just make this kind of strange post acting really irritated but not really explaining why you feel that way.

edit: I actually agree about the Nina Turner thing and kinda roll my eyes when I see it; not because I dislike Turner, but because it's become a bit of a "meme" and has no realistic chance of happening. But I don't really feel like it's causing any harm either so it's easy to ignore.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 31, 2019

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only people who care about jaywalking are 1. West Coasters and 2. Racist cops who can use it as an excuse to harass blacks.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ytlaya posted:

Why is this bothering you?

For the reason I said. It’s gotten boring. It’s not because I “support her” although I’m not going to flee the county or kill myself if she wins like the Super Left Friends are all implying they would.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mellow Seas posted:

The only people who care about jaywalking are 1. West Coasters and 2. Racist cops who can use it as an excuse to harass blacks.

As a west coaster, you don't know what you are talking about. we jaywalk as much as anyone else.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

As a west coaster, you don't know what you are talking about. we jaywalk as much as anyone else.

I’ve honestly never been there, except for four days one time in a non-pedestrian friendly place, so I’m just going off (numerous) anecdotes. And then there is a SF resident right there showing a legitimate concern for “traffic safety” which is not really the issue that motivates jaywalking laws.

I’m certainly not going to tell you your lived experience is wrong so I defer.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

The law is written in a way that deliberately fucks poor people raw. This is an intrinsic part of capitalism. And being all gung-ho legalistic as you are before we've managed to abolish capitalism means that you're directly supporting poo poo that will gently caress poor people raw.

Like, look at what you're posting here. The actual solution to jaywalking is obviously better public transit and urban planning, but that poo poo costs money and you can't use money on the poor, now can you? That's a deliberate choice that the capitalist state makes, so why is it acceptable for the capitalist state to prosecute the very same people that it literally leaves little option but to jaywalk if they, say, have to catch the last bus that'll get them to work on time? This is the hosed part, and you're Kramering in here and yelling some regurgitated rightwing talking points about how it's the fault of the poor for being a traffic hazard or not being able to get their kids to school or any other of the myriad crimes that the poor commit out of necessity and desperation.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cerebral Bore, can you once, for five seconds, stop assuming the worst about people who disagree with you in the slightest?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I actually agree about the Nina Turner thing and kinda roll my eyes when I see it; not because I dislike Turner, but because it's become a bit of a "meme" and has no realistic chance of happening. But I don't really feel like it's causing any harm either so it's easy to ignore.

Yeah. Enough about Nina Turner.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Cerebral Bore, can you once, for five seconds, stop assuming the worst about people who disagree with you in the slightest?

Mellow Seas posted:

although I’m not going to flee the county or kill myself if she wins like the Super Left Friends are all implying they would.

:ironicat:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

What? I was calling you all principled. :smug:

And just because I post badly sometimes doesn’t mean other people should. It’s loving rude to accuse someone who joined the thread today as “kramering in with right wing talking points”. Although I guess it does help keep the echo crisp.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mellow Seas posted:

You don't have to read the thread if a lack of :decorum: upsets you.

Also tell me more about how the idea that laws that solely target poor people are self-evidently justified isn't a rightwing talking point.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 31, 2019

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Craptacular! posted:

you can always spot a tourist in boston by whoever's deathly afraid of stepping off the curb before the signal changes while everyone else just walks wherevs

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm asking, nicely, that this thread stop discussing bernard sanders, tulsi gabbard, kamala harris, elizabeth warren, joe biden, hillary clinton, sherrod brown, and the coffee guy. I'm bored of them

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

feeling hype pete buttigieg huh

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sorry black people as long as capitalism isn't overthrown we are just going to have to keep shooting you for jaywalking, I don't make the rules

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calibanibal posted:

I'm asking, nicely, that this thread stop discussing bernard sanders, tulsi gabbard, kamala harris, elizabeth warren, joe biden, hillary clinton, sherrod brown, and the coffee guy. I'm bored of them

Nobody's said anything original about Harris since her rally in Oakland. People aren't tired of "*tepid centrist defense of Harris* *20 identical posts about how the truancy law is monstrous fascism*"? I don't even completely disagree with that premise and understand why people are taking it that way, but I wouldn't mind a break from it. You guys aren't bored of it? There has to be something else horrible about Harris you could talk about! She has a record that is, at best, checkered AF!

But hey, I said nobody had to listen, nor did I expect them to. You do you.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

please enlighten us, and entertain us, with stories of Harris' lesser known crimes, of which there are surely many given her checkered AF record

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calibanibal posted:

please enlighten us, and entertain us, with stories of Harris' lesser known crimes, of which there are surely many given her checkered AF record

I'm sure people would enjoy that! I'm sure she did other lovely things in her time as DA and AG! Maybe I'll see if I can dig something up tomorrow.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

by the power vested in me by G*d and the SA mod staff, I hereby declare a 16 hour ban on any discussion of Kamala Harris and/or her anti-truancy programs itt

so, back to buttigeiger,

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Nobody's said anything original about Harris since her rally in Oakland. People aren't tired of "*tepid centrist defense of Harris* *20 identical posts about how the truancy law is monstrous fascism*"? I don't even completely disagree with that premise and understand why people are taking it that way, but I wouldn't mind a break from it. You guys aren't bored of it? There has to be something else horrible about Harris you could talk about! She has a record that is, at best, checkered AF!

But hey, I said nobody had to listen, nor did I expect them to. You do you.

Posts bitching about it are even worse hth

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Calibanibal posted:

by the power vested in me by G*d and the SA mod staff, I hereby declare a 16 hour ban on any discussion of Kamala Harris and/or her anti-truancy programs itt

so, back to buttigeiger,

~*Kamala*~

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

drinking my peet's as i vote for pete

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
tbf Harris getting the attention Gillibrand deserves makes me understand a bit of the gut-level hate for a certain candidate in 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The truancy discussion was actually very enlightening to me and was a great example of how there actually are real and meaningful ideological differences in this primary.

It dispels the myth that this is about ideological purity, its actual ideological struggle. This isn't a fight between sides who agree its bad to jail kids for skipping school, its a fight between a side that thinks it is monstrous and damning and a side that thinks its the cost of doing business.

It is an ideological fight between a insurgent left that believes system issues are addressable through systemic change and the end of history liberals that honestly believe democratic capitalism is the best we can ever have and its flaws must be mitigated but can never ever be removed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I'm still interested in people's second choices if Sanders doesn't/can't run. :shrug: Warren's wealth tax really caught my attention, as the sort of bold thing a progressive president should be proposing as the goal, instead of the watered down and defeatist technocracy that Democratic pols seem to favor lately.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I love anti-Bernie people responding to damning videos of Kamala by bringing up old videos of Bernie being really good

https://twitter.com/mgranville1/status/1090460894944002048

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

warrens got good policy solutions, how effective she will be as a candidate is up to debate among people

she probably should have run in 2016

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

I love anti-Bernie people responding to damning videos of Kamala by bringing up old videos of Bernie being really good

https://twitter.com/mgranville1/status/1090460894944002048

They're literally at the point of 'look at that bitch drinking water, like she's better than you'.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm still interested in people's second choices if Sanders doesn't/can't run. :shrug: Warren's wealth tax really caught my attention, as the sort of bold thing a progressive president should be proposing as the goal, instead of the watered down and defeatist technocracy that Democratic pols seem to favor lately.
Warren and possibly Brown (people whose opinions I trust claim he is problematic but it's not clear to me why, yet). That's pretty much it I think for the realistic candidates who are actually going to run. I guess I'd vote for Gillibrand in the general? But I'm not voting for a cop.

Basically if one of those three/two doesn't win the primary, or does win the primary and then Trump bodyslams them in the general anyway, it is officially time to kick this nation and its POS constitution and government to the curb and start over.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Calibanibal posted:

so, back to buttigeiger,

so, does anyone know the backstory to the controversies involving buttigieg and the south bend police department? the framing of it on wikipedia is not great but, after reading an article from south bend's newspaper, i'm not sure i understand what happened

Cease to Hope posted:

warren is a top-tier candidate for me. with a record that includes the consumer financial protection bureau, she has shown a very good imagination when it comes to public policy and a capacity to actually getting her ideas translated to something implementable. i've found most of the platforms floated by her campaign to be bold and ambitious. i would really like to see some version of the accountable capitalism act and think, of the contenders, she is probably one of the few who could do it. i find the discussion about her charisma to be extremely gendered.

if it weren't for him giving up a senate seat, i wouldn't mind voting for sherrod brown. he's been consistent ideologically and, while he's not embracing some of the more radical positions of warren and sanders, he would still represent a large step to the left for the democratic party.

i don't know much about klobachar but people i know irl keep trying to sell me on her.

the only candidate i would refuse to vote for is probably gabbard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1090723497368829962