Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

foobardog posted:

Now, now if you can get on a jury without them realizing you know it, you can practice jury nullification!

That's how I plan to avoid getting on a jury, next time I'm called into the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

foobardog posted:

Now, now if you can get on a jury without them realizing you know it, you can practice jury nullification!

Each time I've received a summons in the mail, the cases plead out before they went to trial.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Your Taint posted:

Each time I've received a summons in the mail, the cases plead out before they went to trial.

Same. I just want 11 people to hate my guts because I think I'm Henry Fonda in 12 angry men.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Random Stranger posted:

It's an unsettled argument.

The legal theory that says you can't is that the constitution says that the way to deal with a misbehaving president is impeachment, not the court system. Personally, I find that argument to be bullshit; it requires a kind of warped reading of the constitution and if you follow the argument to its logical conclusion carves out some odd exceptions that make the legal status of the president weird.

The real issue is the practical one where the president just pardon any federal offenses he commits. The fun part of that is since the District of Columbia is under the direct control of congress, any crime there is a federal offense. So Trump could start his State of the Union address by pulling out an AK-47 and gunning down the remaining liberal justices, then pardon himself for the action and not go to jail.

Isn't this just an air bud situation where there's no rule that says you cant arrest a sitting president?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1090770563906367488

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Random Stranger posted:

The legal theory that says you can't is that the constitution says that the way to deal with a misbehaving president is impeachment, not the court system. Personally, I find that argument to be bullshit; it requires a kind of warped reading of the constitution and if you follow the argument to its logical conclusion carves out some odd exceptions that make the legal status of the president weird.

The real issue is the practical one where the president just pardon any federal offenses he commits. The fun part of that is since the District of Columbia is under the direct control of congress, any crime there is a federal offense. So Trump could start his State of the Union address by pulling out an AK-47 and gunning down the remaining liberal justices, then pardon himself for the action and not go to jail.

please do not give him ideas

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

They wanted people to think it was stolen and real. It wasnt

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
https://twitter.com/WideAsleepNima/status/1090723953809735680

There probably won't be much new information in this episode for people in this particular thread but listening to these guys and MurderBryan from street fight radio drag Mike Rowe for an hour was cathartic as hell.

Also Citations Needed owns.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

is that the dirtyjobs guy

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Berke Negri posted:

is that the dirtyjobs guy

Yeah, he's come up in USPOL a few times.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/johnddavidson/status/1090651818277900288

:lol: owned

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

What the gently caress is a Home Depot Democrat

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

sexpig by night posted:

what the gently caress even are 'punitive damages' as some side thing. I thought that was the point of 'pain and suffering'? "You hosed me up and made my life worse, you have to pay"?

It’s supposed to send a message to cut this poo poo out and don’t do it again. Which makes sense if it’s directed towards companies or institutional poo poo, like doctors, major corps, etc. Often the plaintiff has mild damages, ie only cost $10k to clean up the toxic waste that spilled on your property, but people realized that small judgments against corps won’t deter long term action, so now its 10k to clean up plus $2 million to deter.

Same for medical malpractice. It should be 8k in medical expenses, $200k pain and suffering bc you left a sponge in some dudes stomach, and $500k punatitive bc stop leaving loving sponges in people’s chest cavity

Punitive damages in this situation are stupid bc the guy already caught a felony conviction. However, since he lives in the same rich white people enclave as Paul, I assume his net worth factored in

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The memories of beating the poo poo out of Rand Paul: priceless.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

But i thought the only possible explanation was that the police weren't even trying

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

“Hard work will set you free” people that don’t hate minorities and gays

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Al Borland.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm guessing suburban liberals who do a lot of DIY projects.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

brb firing my lawyer

Post/Avatar combo. :discourse:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

NY [statue of liberty!]

*is actually booked somewhere in Albany and some rando place in Nassau county*

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rowe's long been known around here for being full of poo poo. Please tell me Mike Holmes is a decent dude, at least.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

CPColin posted:

That's how I plan to avoid getting on a jury, next time I'm called into the box.

The better thing to do is just say you can’t agree to whatever the burden of proof is. However, as an FYI, Don’t lie or say crazy poo poo during voir dire / jury selection. The judges and attorneys (probably) aren’t idiots and you can get in trouble for it

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Most of the state of Minnesota.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

They go over it in the episode but it's essentially just a subgenre of dem centrist that is really into the protestant work ethic and thinks a lot of young people just need to stop getting tattoos and piercings and work harder and they'd be doing better for themselves. They're people that would probably be part of a conservative party if our country had anything resembling functional political parties.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

https://twitter.com/WideAsleepNima/status/1090723953809735680

There probably won't be much new information in this episode for people in this particular thread but listening to these guys and MurderBryan from street fight radio drag Mike Rowe for an hour was cathartic as hell.

Also Citations Needed owns.

gently caress this guy for ruining dirty jobs. The people and jobs were interesting but there is no way I want to watch it again with this smug poo poo getting the attention/residuals

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CPColin posted:

I was in the jury for a civil trial once and we kind of all factored in "don't do it again" punitive damages into our ruling. They read it out in court and the judge said, "Okay, now to the punitive phase of the trial." and we all groaned because we thought it was over. We had to listen to a list of the loser's assets and then go deliberate again. It sucked and if we'd known there were going to be a separate punitive phase, out initial award would probably have been lower.

The moral is always avoid serving on a jury.

sounds like poo poo jury instructions if they didn't emphasize that the initial award was supposed to be compensatory

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1090777182358642688

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Hopefully the weather will still be cold, wouldn't want to do anything to interrupt Snowflake Tour 2019.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

theflyingorc posted:

But i thought the only possible explanation was that the police weren't even trying

Just had some fun throwing this in the faces of some idiots who were saying it was a hoax

Edit: gently caress these loving motherfuckers. I should have known, just more deflection and victim blaming in response

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 31, 2019

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
If you want to get out of Jury Duty just show up wearing a Black Lives Matter shirt.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Gee, I wonder what these people thought of the office of the President while Obama was in it... Something tells me they were "less supportive" then.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

NAh, there is precedent from under Nixon and Clinton that the president can't ignore subpoenas

I love how there's always someone in this thread saying the president "can't" do something or whatever. What do you think would happen if and when Trump literally DOES ignore a subpoena? It doesn't matter what past presidents have done. This is Trump.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

Legally, sure.

Practically, there'd be a constitutional crisis, some sort of attempt at a coup, and a lot of violence and infighting as the President was forcibly ejected from his position and possibly calls for an entirely new federal government. Historically when leaders try stunts like that without having absolute control over their supporters and a clear advantage in political power, they tend to go down in flames.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mike Rowe is the real-life personification of those right wing quotes always posted under pictures of Sam Elliott

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

a racist

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

beejay posted:

I love how there's always someone in this thread saying the president "can't" do something or whatever. What do you think would happen if and when Trump literally DOES ignore a subpoena? It doesn't matter what past presidents have done. This is Trump.

Assuming the judge finds the protestors' arguments compelling*, Trump gets sent a notice to show in court or be held in contempt, at which point he either acquiesces or the judge holds him in contempt and begins leveling a series of escalating fines at the judge's discretion until he complies or shows appropriate reasons why he may not comply.

*This is probably not going to happen, because "The President is the loving President and gets to submit testimony through either taped deposition or some other means, because him showing up to a courtroom in the Bronx would cause a minor local apocalypse" is actually a pretty decent legal argument.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 31, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

From a week ago, but it's got my dander up:

https://twitter.com/NYCLU/status/1087729400341282816

A non-twit link:

https://www.nyclu.org/en/news/trans-woman-was-charged-false-personation-giving-nypd-her-real-name

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Just had some fun throwing this in the faces of some idiots who were saying it was a hoax

I was so sure he was another celebrity looking for the kind of thrilling publicity that TV stardom can't provide.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Rowe's long been known around here for being full of poo poo. Please tell me Mike Holmes is a decent dude, at least.

A family friend's house was on Holmes on Homes back in the day and apparently he was a friendly and swell dude. Can't find anything on his politics though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

A white male from Ohio who works at Home Depot and takes whatever bullshit their boss throws at them willingly.