Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That piece of poo poo Curly Sue movie ended John Hughes career. He was apparently so upset at the critical and box-office reception that he just stopped making movies.

Also I could have sworn Donner had a recent film, but no - last movie was 2006. And holy loving poo poo he really is old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was his last directing gig, but John Hughes was writing and producing right up till he died.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

He may own (I find his output wildly inconsistent even within a single film) but can you really deny he was cursed by a gypsy?

No.

My story is that after watching every single episode of Monty Python I got super baked and went to a moviehouse in Eugene Oregon and watched Time Bandits. And it was great but I was not well.

The last thing I think I've seen of his was where they tried to patch together The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus cuz Heath Ledger abruptly quit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

No.

My story is that after watching every single episode of Monty Python I got super baked and went to a moviehouse in Eugene Oregon and watched Time Bandits. And it was great but I was not well.

The last thing I think I've seen of his was where they tried to patch together The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus cuz Heath Ledger abruptly quit.

Well, “quit” in a euphemistic fashion I suppose

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Maybe this is the right place for this question:

Going to see a screening for Wizard of Oz soon with the 80th anniversary screenings, and was wondering how I might be able to determine what print they are using/what source for the digital, or if there is somewhere online that acts as a resource for finding these details for screenings in general?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, “quit” in a euphemistic fashion I suppose

It was abrupt.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Peacoffee posted:

Maybe this is the right place for this question:

Going to see a screening for Wizard of Oz soon with the 80th anniversary screenings, and was wondering how I might be able to determine what print they are using/what source for the digital, or if there is somewhere online that acts as a resource for finding these details for screenings in general?

Warner's master since 2010 has been their 4K restoration, created from the original nitrate camera negatives and fine-grain positives (scanned at 8K resolution).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What’s the holy grail of unreleased movies? Is there even one like how the holy grail of music is The Beatles Carousel of Light

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Empress Brosephine posted:

What’s the holy grail of unreleased movies? Is there even one like how the holy grail of music is The Beatles Carousel of Light

La Fin Absolue Du Monde.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Day the Clown Cried

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Now that The Other Side of the Wind has been released (and that The Day the Clown Cried is obviously a terrible film, unlike Welles' film)...

Tom Schiller's 1984 comedy Nothing Lasts Forever. One of the few films that was absolutely finished and ready to be released, but Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer pulled it from release at the last minute and it's apparently been caught up in rights hell for decades. Turner Classic Movies did show it once or twice a few years ago, but it's still nearly impossible to find.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The eight-hour cut of von Stroheim’s Greed

Edit: I guess that’s not technically unreleased

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Zack Snyder's cut of Justice League

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uli Schueppel spent nearly two months on the road with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, with only some footage being released into the light of day in the documentary The Road To Only God Knows Where, when they were on their Tender Prey tour in the US in 1989 / 90. This was during their heaviest drinking and drugging days (outside of Mick Harvey, who was just trying to herd cats), and I know for a fact that there is a ton more footage somewhere out there, because both Mick Harvey and Blixa Bargeld have said it exists). Nick was cagey about it when I asked him about everything else that Schueppel shot, to the point that I wonder if Cave's sitting on it, because he's gotten very controlling about his image ever since he got clean in 1998.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
On a sort of similar note, Peter Jackson has gotten the okay/cooperation to do a documentary on the recording of Let It Be by the Beatles. With access to over 55 hours of unseen footage. Dang yo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/movies/peter-jackson-beatles-film.html

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A personal holy grail would be the original cut of Mission: Impossible II.

"John Woo's first cut of the film clocked in at three and a half hours. The studio balked at this length, and told him that the final length could not exceed two hours."

I'd also like an accompanying glimpse of the alternate dimension where filming of the movie wasn't met with delays and where Dougray Scott ended up being Wolverine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mine, at least, is the original 4 hour cut of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford that Warner Bros. won't allow Andrew Dominik to release.

Like, I know it probably involves a decent amount of lawyer-wrangling to make sure everyone gets paid for an additional cut, but surely you'd come out ahead in the long-run making such a thing available as a special edition?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Skwirl posted:

La Fin Absolue Du Monde.

Heh

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If we're allowing original cuts of films that were released in some form, Welles' version of The Magnificent Ambersons is probably the most sought-after grail in film history (and also most likely lost forever).

If we're only talking about films that never saw the light of day at all, the question gets trickier. I'd nominate The Pied Piper of Cleveland, a documentary notable for supposedly containing the first on-screen appearance of Elvis Presley.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

It's not the holy grail by any means but I really want to see the supposed full length film that was created out of the "Victor" European trip montage segment in The Rules of Attraction.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

For me it's that recently unearthed lost George Romero film.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

For me it's that recently unearthed lost George Romero film.

I know it's not a movie, but I wish someone would unearth his Dead book from around 2000-2001. Its nearly impossible to find anything about it online.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/6820 there's a mention of it here.

I downloaded the first part when it came out and printed it, and I still have that printed copy somewhere. Since it was called 'The Death Of Death' it's really hard to search for any info about it. I remember the story had a guy who survived a building collapse and I'm pretty sure it was written before 9/11.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Boinks posted:

I know it's not a movie, but I wish someone would unearth his Dead book from around 2000-2001. Its nearly impossible to find anything about it online.

I downloaded the first part when it came out and printed it, and I still have that printed copy somewhere. Since it was called 'The Death Of Death' it's really hard to search for any info about it. I remember the story had a guy who survived a building collapse and I'm pretty sure it was written before 9/11.

MAN this takes me back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Boinks posted:

aintitcool

I'm triggered.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Boinks posted:

The AICN synopsis just makes it sound like "Diary of the Dead".

And the first issue of his Toe Tags comic was called "The Death of Death."

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The AICN synopsis just makes it sound like "Diary of the Dead".

And the first issue of his Toe Tags comic was called "The Death of Death."

Yeah I know, but the comic book didn't have the same story and it didn't match up with the script for Diary, at least as far as I remember. If I can ever find the printed copy I kept I'll scan it in and find a way to share it. Would a lost chapter from a book that was probably never completed be considered filez?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I have the dvd for Day of the Dead and one of the bonus features was the original script for "Day" in pdf form. Remember when bonus features were cool?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I have the dvd for Day of the Dead and one of the bonus features was the original script for "Day" in pdf form. Remember when bonus features were cool?

I just bought The Hustler on Blu and it has some great bonus features, like 4 or 5 short documentaries and interviews, and a commentary on all of the trick shots done in the movie. It's obvious they were all copied from the older DVD though (especially since Paul Newman is in the interviews).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

feedmyleg posted:

Mine, at least, is the original 4 hour cut of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford that Warner Bros. won't allow Andrew Dominik to release.

Like, I know it probably involves a decent amount of lawyer-wrangling to make sure everyone gets paid for an additional cut, but surely you'd come out ahead in the long-run making such a thing available as a special edition?

I want this and every scrap of cut footage from The Thin Red Line.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner's master since 2010 has been their 4K restoration, created from the original nitrate camera negatives and fine-grain positives (scanned at 8K resolution).

Thanks for this! interestingly it seemed more blurry in focus that I expected, but I’ve never seen it on-screen so I didn’t have a point of reference.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

feedmyleg posted:

The difficulty in this comes from the variability of the editing process and test screenings. Restoring footage cut at the end of the process to trim runtime by a minute or two, or to get the rating the studio wants can be fairly simple, but if the director’s initial edit is way out of line with the studio’s wishes, it can mean that they’d be looking at additional special effects work, scoring, possibly royalty deals for actors whose parts were removed from the final cut, etc.

An example would be Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Robert Wise’s director’s cut was never completed until the DVD release, because it contained FX that would have taken too long and cost too much to complete within the timeframe required by the release Paramount wanted.

The Redux cut of Apocalypse Now required securing additional music rights, since the cut sequences featuring songs were eliminated before the theatrical cut was locked, so they weren’t originally licensed.

In a case like The Assassination of Jesse James, the movie was effectively totally reconstructed from the 4-hour cut to the release version, so things like the score would need to be redone, as the studio rejected that cut before anything but the rough cut had been done.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He's said in interviews that he's got a copy of the alternate cut ready to go if the studio allowed him to release it.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

He's said in interviews that he's got a copy of the alternate cut ready to go if the studio allowed him to release it.

This was the week I decided to try and buy a nice copy of Assassination. I found there aren’t really any. And that Ben Shapiro loves it but had a hard time getting through it. A 4 hour cut would be impossible for him and wonderful for me.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Was there a reason that Blade was picked as a comic book move before the X-Men. Was a it a test case to see if audiences were interested in comic book movies?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

Was there a reason that Blade was picked as a comic book move before the X-Men. Was a it a test case to see if audiences were interested in comic book movies?

Maybe a solo character was seen as a potential Batman or Superman but ensembles weren't a winning formula?

Except TMNT

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Blade barely even reads as a comic-book movie if you aren't familiar with the character, they probably just had the rights and saw it as an obvious vehicle for Snipes

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

morestuff posted:

Blade barely even reads as a comic-book movie if you aren't familiar with the character, they probably just had the rights and saw it as an obvious vehicle for Snipes

Snipes was actually the third choice. The movie was originally to star LL Cool J!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the comics Blade is British and the cops hate him because they can't actually arrest him for killing vampires because there's no law against killing the undead and also because he's black.

No one seems even mildly phased that vampires exist because that's just a part of life in the Marvel universe.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the comics Blade is British and the cops hate him because they can't actually arrest him for killing vampires because there's no law against killing the undead and also because he's black.

Also because he gets results, you stupid chief!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

There was definitely a lot of uncertainty about superhero movies as a genre for a while. Even before Batman and Robin underperformed, there wasn't a lot of activity, there was always the question of whether people would accept these guys in brightly colored spandex jumping around and firing laser beams out of their eyes and whatnot. And when audiences did reject Schumacher's opus, from then on everything had to be "grounded". Smallville premiered with the promise of "no tights, no flights".

Blade may have gotten off the ground when it did for that reason, you could put him in cool-looking leather trenchcoats and have it be like a horror-action film, and it was rated R! Not for kids!

I mean I don't know the specific development process, it may just have happened to get greenlit first because you could do it on a lower budget. But it's sort of a milestone still.