Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

chernobyl kinsman posted:

lost Christianities is great but it's really only concerned with the first few hundred years of christianity at most; you're not going to read much (anything?) about its spread into Europe

It deals with up to like 400-800 AD so it gets into schisms between Rome and, say, France, but this

quote:

i would recommend richard fletcher's the conversion of europe, which is about exactly what it sounds like. runs from some of the earliest missionary activities to conversion of the Lithuanians in the late 14th century

Sounds like something I would also be interested in reading, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

It deals with up to like 400-800 AD so it gets into schisms between Rome and, say, France, but this

really? man i do not remember that. i'll have to re-read it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

really? man i do not remember that. i'll have to re-read it

Well now you have me hauling it off the shelf because its been some years since I last read it. Definitely goes through at least 400 AD though since that is when orthodoxy really firms up and we have our oldest manuscripts. I had misremembered Irenaeus as having lived more recently than he did though.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
My younger brother has been on a bit of a History bent for the last two weeks, and has been asking me for recommendations. Right now he is looking for something "like with Aztecs and poo poo" in his own words. So, can the thread recommend any decent history texts for the layman, especially around the Mexican area?

EDIT: Actually, any and all decent layman texts might be good, especially if they have a "hook" like Stephen Clarkes books on British History being fairly funny.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OscarDiggs posted:

My younger brother has been on a bit of a History bent for the last two weeks, and has been asking me for recommendations. Right now he is looking for something "like with Aztecs and poo poo" in his own words. So, can the thread recommend any decent history texts for the layman, especially around the Mexican area?

EDIT: Actually, any and all decent layman texts might be good, especially if they have a "hook" like Stephen Clarkes books on British History being fairly funny.

How old is he?

I'm kinda drawing a blank between Cartoon History of the Universe at the young end and 1491 at the more adult end.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

This has nothing to do with the Aztecs and isn't even the same part of the world, but I really like Douglas Smith's Former People: The Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy as a layman history book.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

He's just turned 18.

^^Didn't see this as I was posting but that looks like it could be a good fit.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe this

https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Azt...the+aztec+world

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Thanks! This is pretty much exactly what he was after.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
Glad you found a recommendation that fits what you were looking for, but let me add another vote for 1491 as an eye-opening, accessible popular history book for a young person looking to read about cool history poo poo and hopefully spark an interest in further reading.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Glad you found a recommendation that fits what you were looking for, but let me add another vote for 1491 as an eye-opening, accessible popular history book for a young person looking to read about cool history poo poo and hopefully spark an interest in further reading.

Who's the author?

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How old is he?

I'm kinda drawing a blank between Cartoon History of the Universe at the young end and 1491 at the more adult end.

cartoon history of the universe is dope

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

StrixNebulosa posted:

Who's the author?
Charles C Mann

(and seconding the recommendation, both for 1491 and the Cartoon History books)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:cheers:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Lewd Mangabey posted:

I'm going to add a third recommendation for this one; not only is it an excellent read, it's also an introduction to a part of history in the Americas that just isn't going to get covered in school until you dig in to history classes in college. Probably the only real criticism I have about it is that it was written before the 'land bridge' theory's started to collapse, and it doesn't mention that there was some colonisation of South America from the Pacific as well.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Who's the author?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1491

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lewd Mangabey posted:

I put this in the Book of the Month poll since it seemed to be a consensus pick (and I liked it when I read it). Go vote for it if you want it to win!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

For young people who want entertaining reading on the Aztecs The True History of the Conquest of New Spain By Bernal Diaz is a great read. Its the first person account of a conquistador so its basically nonstop ultra-violence. Not recommended for the faint of heart, there's a lot of gross out stuff. For example after every battle the Spanish stop to build a fire and render the fat from the flesh of their enemies and then slather the man-fat over their bodies and wounds, as some kind of medicine?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

For young people who want entertaining reading on the Aztecs The True History of the Conquest of New Spain By Bernal Diaz is a great read. Its the first person account of a conquistador so its basically nonstop ultra-violence. Not recommended for the faint of heart, there's a lot of gross out stuff. For example after every battle the Spanish stop to build a fire and render the fat from the flesh of their enemies and then slather the man-fat over their bodies and wounds, as some kind of medicine?

hieronymous make this botm it sounds badass

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is. Then read Broken Spears after to complete the journey.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Look you already voted for sex bear

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look you already voted for sex bear

yeah i posted this before i saw sex bear. my votes for sex bear now. sorry for the confusion

e: vot esex bear

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Any good surveys of Chinese history? I'm interested in titles which cover periods up to and including the Qing dynasty.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Boatswain posted:

Any good surveys of Chinese history? I'm interested in titles which cover periods up to and including the Qing dynasty.

My personal favourite is Mountain of Fame, by John E. Wills, Jr.

https://press.princeton.edu/titles/9858.html

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Boatswain posted:

I enjoyed John Keay's China: A History.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Cheers!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

What I liked about Keay's book was that it didn't suffer from time compression the further back in history you went. The book has just as much to say about ancient China as it does the 20th century.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

What I liked about Keay's book was that it didn't suffer from time compression the further back in history you went. The book has just as much to say about ancient China as it does the 20th century.

If anything, Keay compresses time in the other direction a bit, a decision he explicitly justifies: https://books.google.com/books?id=D...ulching&f=false

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

What's a good survey on the growth of rail in the US/the transcontinental railroad? Started playing 18xx games and now I'm a little train obsessed.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I've heard good things about Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America by Richard White. I just finished his book on the gilded age in general and really enjoyed it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there any good books about the Seven Years War / Gustav Adolf / Frederick the Great / Wars of Austrian Succession / that sort of era on Audible? I have a gnarly commute and I listen a lot more than I read.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

PatMarshall posted:

I've heard good things about Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America by Richard White. I just finished his book on the gilded age in general and really enjoyed it.

Thanks I'll check it out!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This isn't exactly what you're looking for but a lot of William Cronon's Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West has to do with the expansion of railroads tangentially (the short version is that the reason why Chicago became so prosperous is because its location means all the railroads from the Western United States met up there to cross the Mississippi and transfer their goods to eastern railroads or ships on the Great Lakes), and it owns.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower devotes at least a chapter to it. The whole book is great though.

A bit late, but thank you for the spectacular recommendation. Great overview of the Dreyfus affair on top of everything else.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
What's a good book on the Haitian Revolution? I just finished Revolutions coverage of it and am looking for something more detailed.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

He's got a bibiliography up on the website showing his sources. You'll find good works there. The classic is The Black Jacobins.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Where's a good place to start to read up on the Hussites? They came up in a discussion and I realised I knew absolutely nothing about them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I picked up Lost Christianities and it's extremely my poo poo, so thanks to those that mentioned it in this thread!

I've recently picked up a fascination about the historical development of geographical maps, so if anyone has a "must read" about such things, then feel free to point me in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

I picked up Lost Christianities and it's extremely my poo poo, so thanks to those that mentioned it in this thread!

I've recently picked up a fascination about the historical development of geographical maps, so if anyone has a "must read" about such things, then feel free to point me in that direction.

This is much more specific than you were probably asking, but Valerie Kivelson's Cartographies of Tsardom is a really incredible (and beautifully-printed) book about maps in early modern Russia.