Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

predicto posted:

I hate to be that guy but I can't help it

My first thought is that this feels like that McCain campaign worker who pretended to be assaulted by a black Obama supporter, but the "B" on her face was backwards and she made it all up. Or when Morton Downey Jr. claimed that he was attacked in a bathroom at an airport by nazis but the swastika on his face was backwards. Or when Ryan Lochte claimed he was robbed at the Rio Olympics.

So it's 2 am, its well below freezing in Chicago, and two bad guys who just happen to be out wandering around wearing ski masks looking for a black or gay man to harass while carrying... bleach? Of course, it is possible, but I've become completely cynical about these things.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

predicto posted:

I hate to be that guy but I can't help it

My first thought is that this feels like that McCain campaign worker who pretended to be assaulted by a black Obama supporter, but the "B" on her face was backwards and she made it all up. Or when Morton Downey Jr. claimed that he was attacked in a bathroom at an airport by nazis but the swastika on his face was backwards. Or when Ryan Lochte claimed he was robbed at the Rio Olympics.

So it's 2 am, its well below freezing in Chicago, and two bad guys who just happen to be out wandering around wearing ski masks looking for a black or gay man to harass while carrying... bleach? Of course, it is possible, but I've become completely cynical about these things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dude got a literal magazine letter cut out death threat letter and the police are putting together video and other surveillance evidence to identify the attackers. Also he's in the hospital with a broken rib.

Exactly like the girl who scratched a backwards B on her cheek.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

predicto posted:

someone had sent the guy threatening messages and he was jumped in a parking lot directly across from the NBC offices in downtown chicago, so someone was watching him. it's not just chuds wandering around

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

luxury handset posted:

someone had sent the guy threatening messages and he was jumped in a parking lot directly across from the NBC offices in downtown chicago, so someone was watching him. it's not just chuds wandering around

Feels a lot like this to me as well. Ski masks I get cause it's god drat cold out. Bleach is "OK, but weird" territory. Who carries around a noose on a normal day to day basis though? That makes it feel like they knew him and planned this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its just a bizarre criticism that could only be considered sincere if you're like really, really incapable of drawing obvious conclusions or completely ignorant to any racial history of any kind. Like it doesn't take a huge reach to figure out why a bunch of racists attacking a black man and calling him racial slurs and tying a rope around his neck would also have bleach to pour on him. Its a transparent racist action that fits with all the other things that make it clear these guys were making a premeditated racist attack.

Its like if he said had been attacked by people wearing white hoods and you asked why they were outside in their bed sheets.

edit: And like, I think its even possible that this WAS a random attack and that the letter was sent by an unrelated racist. I have no idea if the two are connected but it neither seems out of the realm of possibility that (a) multiple racist psychos targeted this black man and (b) racist psychos were looking for any black person to attack. I also don't think it really changes anything because either way it was clearly a premeditated lynching.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 31, 2019

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

STAC Goat posted:

Its just a bizarre criticism that could only be considered sincere if you're like really, really incapable of drawing obvious conclusions or completely ignorant to any racial history of any kind. Like it doesn't take a huge reach to figure out why a bunch of racists attacking a black man and calling him racial slurs and tying a rope around his neck would also have bleach to pour on him. Its a transparent racist action that fits with all the other things that make it clear these guys were making a premeditated racist attack.

Its like if he said had been attacked by people wearing white hoods and you asked why they were outside in their bed sheets.

edit: And like, I think its even possible that this WAS a random attack and that the letter was sent by an unrelated racist. I have no idea if the two are connected but it neither seems out of the realm of possibility that (a) multiple racist psychos targeted this black man and (b) racist psychos were looking for any black person to attack. I also don't think it really changes anything because either way it was clearly a premeditated lynching.

TBH I assumed the letter was unrelated, and just presented as an example of the copious amounts of hate mail a black gay man on network TV probably receives

Edit: vvv yeah, of all my many typos at least this one is vaguely topical

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 31, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
"I just can't make myself believe that some white guys actually beat up a black man and put a noose around his neck, I mean, it's just so improbable"

e: hate male is a pretty good forum name

Kale
May 14, 2010

Whoa Whoa whoa all the stories I've heard so far had just mentioned it was a likely hate crime incident. This is the first I've heard about the attackers being Trump supporters and the lynching angle of it. When did this information come out? Just with RAW? :stonk:

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 31, 2019

badguyfromthegame
Jan 23, 2014

predicto posted:

Or when Morton Downey Jr. claimed that he was attacked in a bathroom at an airport by nazis but the swastika on his face was backwards.

"How could a violent racist not use their head, deploying expert logic like business as usual?"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

predicto posted:

This argument makes no sense. Its Chicago. Of course the dude got jumped. The real question is when did the city learn to restrain itself to the point that he wasn't flat out murdered?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Eh, I was surprised by the cartoonish scale of the attack too. Like there was a checklist of "essential black person hatecrime activity" and they needed to check everything off. Don't get me wrong I believe him.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kale posted:

Whoa Whoa whoa all the stories I've heard so far had just mentioned it was a likely hate crime incident. This is the first I've heard about the attackers being Trump supporters and the lynching angle of it. When did this information come out? Just with RAW? :stonk:

It came out with the original story yesterday.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

HootTheOwl posted:

Eh, I was surprised by the cartoonish scale of the attack too. Like there was a checklist of "essential black person hatecrime activity" and they needed to check everything off. Don't get me wrong I believe him.

Someone was just trying to fill their entire racist bingo card in one go.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The best part of the post was this'

predicto posted:

its well below freezing in Chicago, and two bad guys who just happen to be out wandering around wearing ski masks
Yeah this is pretty unlikely.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

mystes posted:

The best part of the post was this'

Yeah this is pretty unlikely.

"I'm supposed to just believe that the bad guys were wearing cold weather gear in the middle of a polar vortex?!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Some people in this thread need to think long and hard about what bleach does.

Like, if you wanted to make something whiter you'd use bleach.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HootTheOwl posted:

If he were lying he’d be more creative about it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Some people in this thread need to think long and hard about what bleach does.

Like, if you wanted to make something whiter you'd use bleach.

I would have thought the implication of trying to douse the guy with bleach in this instance would be blindly obvious. It's like STAC Goat said about it being like wondering what the implications of a bunch of guys going out into the street with white linen and torches are supposed to be. It's not like there's a lot of nuance involved.

pseudorandom name posted:

It came out with the original story yesterday.

Weird, some sources mention it some sources just stuck to the hate crime part and I guess I only saw the later before today. I think it might be because the police are apparently just saying they're investigating a likely hate crime while Smollett apparently gave the statement about what was said and the details about MAGA slogans being shouted and there being a noose. I guess some of them just never actually interviewed him directly or something and just got the police statement.

Now reading stories about people saying Trump should condemn the attacks which I don't even know why anyone would consider could be a thing that happens. That would require actual empathy obviously. The only way he's going to see it is that it's like an attack on him because no doubt he sees it only as people are "saying unfair things about MAGA's" not that somebody was assaulted. The only reason I can think of that he's stayed quiet so far is because he can't think of an angle to "counter-punch" on that in any way does anything for how perceives his own self-image. He'll probably respond to the people telling him to respond by being a poo poo about it somehow though before he comments directly on the incident if when he does.

Kale fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 31, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I hate illinois nazis

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I hate illinois nazis

:emptyquote:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1090708406367911936

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Libertarians finally going to win a state?

EDIT: Actually, this is not too surprising. Add up Clinton's vote and McMullin's and it was 49%. Trump only got 45.54%
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1090950324523802625

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 31, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Half of Utah is waiting for space ships.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There's a lot to love about Utah but none of it involves the people who live there.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Libertarians finally going to win a state?

EDIT: Actually, this is not too surprising. Add up Clinton's vote and McMullin's and it was 49%. Trump only got 45.54%
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1090950324523802625

No, they're going to put a Mormon on the ballot, just like they did in 2016. And the Mormon won't win, because there's still plenty of horrible people who'd rather see the country burn than elect a Democrat (not to say that the Mormon candidate won't be terrible as well).

E: Oh, you saw that!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 31, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

Stickman posted:

No, they're going to put a Mormon on the ballot, just like they did in 2016. And the Mormon won't win, because there's still plenty of horrible people who'd rather see the country burn than elect a Democrat (not to say that the Mormon candidate won't be terrible as well).

E: Oh, you saw that!

Utah is such a weird state with the whole majority one religion thing and it's not any of the major world ones even. Also apparently everyone in Utah that goes on to get a degree goes to Brigham Young University and won't have it any other way.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Senate votes 68 to 23 against withdrawing from Syria and Afghanistan

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/us/politics/senate-vote-syria-afghanistan.amp.html

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Constitutionally, without a declaration of war isn't this the president's sole decision?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HootTheOwl posted:

Constitutionally, without a declaration of war isn't this the president's sole decision?
Yes, but also, they've been stretching the 2001/2 AUMFs (for 9/11 and Iraq) further than the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, so uh... who really knows at this point, right?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

HootTheOwl posted:

Technically yes, but Congress controls the money that goes to the war. Pull the funding, pull the troops.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Technically yes, but Congress controls the money that goes to the war. Pull the funding, pull the troops.

But this situation is the opposite of that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FoolyCharged posted:

But in this instance they voted against it by voting for a resolution.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

But this situation is the opposite of that

Oh right, in this case to the best of my knowledge it's, "this money is granted under the condition that it cant be used to withdraw"

Same general principle of Congress using money to exert control over the army since declaring war went out of style.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh right, in this case to the best of my knowledge it's, "this money is granted under the condition that it cant be used to withdraw"

Same general principle of Congress using money to exert control over the army since declaring war went out of style.

This isn't even that. The Senate voted for something called the "sense of the Senate", which simply means "in our opinion, we believe we ought to do this/not do this", to which Trump can simply say "thank you for your input, I disagree, now time to get out."

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
https://abcnews.go.com/US/st-louis-police-officer-accused-killing-colleague-russian/story?id=60745956

As expected, more details of the St. Louis Police Russian Roulette case are coming out:

Including "drugs and alcohol" might have been a factor. And including the fact that the hospital refused to do the normal process of toxicology tests.

At least two people aren't having it: the Circuit Attorney, and the Judge. The Judge said that it was not an accident, but an intentional act. It took at least four intentional acts, Unholstering the gun, loading the gun, pointing the gun and pulling the trigger.

I imagine there will be a breaking point pretty soon where a lot of different details start coming out.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/st-louis-police-officer-accused-killing-colleague-russian/story?id=60745956

As expected, more details of the St. Louis Police Russian Roulette case are coming out:

Including "drugs and alcohol" might have been a factor. And including the fact that the hospital refused to do the normal process of toxicology tests.

At least two people aren't having it: the Circuit Attorney, and the Judge. The Judge said that it was not an accident, but an intentional act. It took at least four intentional acts, Unholstering the gun, loading the gun, pointing the gun and pulling the trigger.

I imagine there will be a breaking point pretty soon where a lot of different details start coming out.

This is what the thin blue line is. Cops coming together shoulder to shoulder to shield their own from scrutiny. Whenever I see the dumb rear end flags with a blue line or the Texas silhouettes with a blue line, that all I think of. "Good" cops protecting their own from unfair criticism? Or is it "good" cops actually being bad cops by protecting bad cops.

I guess that's why people say ACAB.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

duodenum posted:

This is what the thin blue line is. Cops coming together shoulder to shoulder to shield their own from scrutiny. Whenever I see the dumb rear end flags with a blue line or the Texas silhouettes with a blue line, that all I think of. "Good" cops protecting their own from unfair criticism? Or is it "good" cops actually being bad cops by protecting bad cops.

Depends on who you talk to. Those blue line idiots will tell you it means brotherhood or that they're the thin line that protects society from urban ni-, uhh THUGS. Like if they weren't there everything would collapse immediately.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wasn't the victim also a cop? They're not just protecting a bad cop here, they're protecting someone who killed one of their own.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

duodenum posted:

That's what gets me about when people say bad cops are 'a few bad apples.' As a culture we've completely forgotten the rest of the phrase which is 'ruins the whole barrel.' The protection of abusive cops by non-abusive ones makes the abusive ones complicit in their crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VanSandman posted:

That's what gets me about when people say bad cops are 'a few bad apples.' As a culture we've completely forgotten the rest of the phrase which is 'ruins the whole barrel.' The protection of abusive cops by non-abusive ones makes the abusive ones complicit in their crimes.
No one justifying the decision to keep a law enforcement officer on after an allegation of misconduct ever refers to them as a bad apple, so I don't think people are misusing the aphorism.