Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Phylodox posted:

Just watched “Far Beyond the Stars”. I remember reading the novelization, but I realized I don’t think I’d actually seen the episode itself. I think it might just be the pinnacle of Trek.

Yah it’s good

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can only assume this was their version of a Star Trek machete order, but it’s not like watching Enterprise after TOS is going to give you any additional insight into either. If anything it’ll give you less because now all the TNG callbacks won’t make any sense.

If the second Trek show I ever watched was Enterprise, I’d certainly take a machete to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The only reason I can think of for following a list is if someone new to Trek wants to hit DS9 specifically on a recommendation or something and asks for a little extra worldbuilding context first. A couple friends of mine actually did this last year and enjoyed it a lot. This could probably be done in less than ten TNG episodes as long as you've got the Cardassian stuff, the Klingon arc, and maybe Best of Both Worlds just for Sisko's backstory, so it's not much of a watch order. I'm not sure if anything from TOS matters as much since most of that is minor (Kor) or gets fully re-explained (the Mirror junk.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tribbls

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Phylodox posted:

Just watched “Far Beyond the Stars”. I remember reading the novelization, but I realized I don’t think I’d actually seen the episode itself. I think it might just be the pinnacle of Trek.

A very good and very Trek episode.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dick Miller died today. It's a good thing he didn't live to see the time period he portrayed. 2024. We still have time.

https://twitter.com/IraStevenBehr/status/1090790165528772608

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Zesty posted:

Dick Miller died today. It's a good thing he didn't live to see the time period he portrayed. 2024. We still have time.

https://twitter.com/IraStevenBehr/status/1090790165528772608

Dang. I don't really post here or anything, but I just rewatched that two parter this evening. Horrifyingly prescient, and Miller did a good job.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
No! He was half of the "Rock'n'Roll High School" actors to appear in the "Past Tense" two-parter! :negative:

Seriously, though, to paraphrase Sir Patrick, there was a guy who had seen everything. He'd seen it all. 182 acting credits across sixty years.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
He was always up in there in my "hey, it's that guy!" crew, he will be sorely missed

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Far Beyond the Stars is frickin’ great, yeah. Tears me up every time I watch it.

Avery Brooks is one hell of a director.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah Sir Pat Stew is really hurting for money and trying to make a name for himself :rolleye:

He's an old fart who's spent his entire life as an actor. I'm sure he wants a job, I'm sure his family want him to have a job, it's not really revolutionary to suggest people want stuff to do.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

It's not bad, but it's hard to top perfection. For me, Stealing the Enterprise is probably the best part of III and the 3rd best Horner behind TWOK Titles and Mutara Nebula Battle.

Related: I need to go to a Star Trek symphony concert in my lifetime.

Part of it for me is the novelty, there's acres of alternate recordings of the Wrath of Khan opener or the TV theme, but that's the first time I've heard a different take on that particular cue.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Astroman posted:

It's not bad, but it's hard to top perfection. For me, Stealing the Enterprise is probably the best part of III and the 3rd best Horner behind TWOK Titles and Mutara Nebula Battle.

Related: I need to go to a Star Trek symphony concert in my lifetime.

God yes, I love TWOK soundtrack, and I love how The Orville's new composer is channeling Horner's ghost.

They do this thing at the Sony Center in Toronto where they play a movie with a live orchestra doing the soundtrack, and I'd kill for them to do TWOK.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheCenturion posted:

God yes, I love TWOK soundtrack, and I love how The Orville's new composer is channeling Horner's ghost.

I really like it when they get John Debney scoring it and he comes within a note of just doing the seaQuest theme.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The sea quest theme is seriously loving cool

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/aloo8a/25_years_ago_today_beverly_fell_asleep_reading_a/

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I kind of like the alternate arrangement of Stealing the Enterprise that this recording has got going, but the only thing holding me back from really loving it is that the trumpets just do not sound like they're up to the part.

Goddamn it's a poo poo show but the Voyager theme is still so so good.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Senor Tron posted:

For real. That theme (and basically everything about that series except Neelix) deserves a better show.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Senor Tron posted:

Scale issues aside, the Voyager intro is one of the best Trek intros. Note that the Orville's intro is borrowing far more from Voyager than any other series.

edit:

Geekboy posted:

For real. That theme (and basically everything about that series except Neelix) deserves a better show.

Without Neelix, it would be a better show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm sure Discovery is good tonight, but you owe it to yourself to watch this week's Orville

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
lol if you are reading this thread you are watching both be real

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

lol but seriously I posted:

idont liek orvil

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

idont liek orvil

lol like liking something has any kind of correlation with watching it & talking about it on the internet be real

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have enjoyed the Orville, but it’s like uncanny valley Trek for me. I really want the alternate universe where Seth MacFarlane just took over the franchise.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
too busy not sleeping and listening to kiss but be assured my hot takes on star trek/other star trek that is not star trek but come along now it is clearly star trek will dispersed throughout the 9 different star trek threads within 48 hours

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
jadzia doesn't get enough credit. she is cool. so much cooler than worf. why did she bang worf?? shes cooler than him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick posted:

jadzia doesn't get enough credit. she is cool. so much cooler than worf. why did she bang worf?? shes cooler than him.

That ridged dick (s)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Part of it for me is the novelty, there's acres of alternate recordings of the Wrath of Khan opener or the TV theme, but that's the first time I've heard a different take on that particular cue.

If we're talking semi-obscure tracks, this orchestral arrangement of the flute theme from The Inner Light is lovely.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I can understand the dirty old trill banging the really insecure but hot Klingon but not marrying

More taking advantage of at every turn

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

shovelbum posted:

I can understand the dirty old trill banging the really insecure but hot Klingon but not marrying

More taking advantage of at every turn

If you're a Trill symbiont that lives for a zillion years, getting married to a one-lifer is more like agreeing to a weekend getaway with them would be for us.

Sure, it's a little bit of a commitment, but only for a while. And hey, even if it all goes bad, you'll have an interesting story to tell when it's all over.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
do not overthink it jazdia is a weeb and worf is tsundere

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

$6. nerds.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

i don't watch discovery, no

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I have enjoyed the Orville, but it’s like uncanny valley Trek for me. I really want the alternate universe where Seth MacFarlane just took over the franchise.

That would be ideal. However, if you're prepared to squint a little, we currently have two good Trek shows on the air at once.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

corn in the bible posted:

i don't watch discovery, no

doing yourself a mischief IMO

mllaneza posted:

That would be ideal. However, if you're prepared to squint a little, we currently have two good Trek shows on the air at once.

averages out to one old style trek show if you compare the two to DS9 which was so good and they were banging those out at a rate of knots

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Im tired of squinting at poo poo

put on these sunglasses

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

If Marc Alaimo or Casey Biggs ever go missing, this is the picture I'm sending to the local police.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

averages out to one old style trek show if you compare the two to DS9 which was so good and they were banging those out at a rate of knots

And Orville knocked it out of the loving park this week, re-do your calculations, the data has changed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Okay. I bought a similar one elsewhere though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's a house on a nearby block that has one of those hanging. I've definitely seen shelves of collectibles through the window. On summer nights there's always at least two couples on the porch having wine.

I think I found the Star Trek Swinger House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

There's a house on a nearby block that has one of those hanging. I've definitely seen shelves of collectibles through the window. On summer nights there's always at least two couples on the porch having wine.

I think I found the Star Trek Swinger House.

Why aren’t you their best friend