Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Really, the biggest detriment of the plot is having the villain follow the heroes around and using that as an excuse to make everyone incapable of conversation. Why wouldn't DeRosso and Yulyana just talk with Tiz and Agnes about a plan in the cave and then the five (or six given Ringabel is around this time) just beat up Airy on the Yulyana continent?

Regalingualius posted:

That’s a weird way to spell Lord DeRosso.

DeRosso factors into the main plot, though, so I don't count him as a side character.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Trust me, the sequel is Even Better. Won't go into detail as to why or how, but it is amazing!

Except for the music, but this game was always gonna be a tough act to follow.

Trasson posted:

Honestly, this is basically what Octopath Traveler is: modern take on JRPG mechanics (obviously not as Final Fantasy V derived as BD, but still a lot of similarities), but instead of a wannabe Metal Gear Solid convoluted slurry plot, you get a series of short vignettes that rarely try to break new ground but instead present themselves in charming and straightforward fashion.

The result? You have to try really hard to find someone who rates Octopath worse than "Interesting but wasn't what I was looking for". If Bravely Default had gone that direction it probably would have gotten regarded closer to the Chrono Trigger tier than the Final Fantasy 8 tier.

Yeah but the problem with Octopath is that the stories barely connect at all. It's nice and straightforward but on each character's quest, the other characters might as well not be there except battle. I'd rather have a plot where you feel like the characters are on the same path (and are friends) even if the plot gets a little muddled.

Also there is no pirate costume in Octopath so it is objectively a worse game. :colbert:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Granted, I can’t even begin to imagine how much of a nightmare it would be to write in major party interactions for every single combination of seven other party members without having a lot of it wind up feeling like the “accent generator” from Chrono Cross that caused a lot of character dialogue to be almost exactly the same with only minor flourishes to distinguish them from everyone else.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 111: Without End

At the beginning of the game, Tiz's first journey out in the world was hiking from Caldisla to the former mountain village of Norende.

Now we're taking that route again, one last time.

This scene at the edge of the Great Chasm is largely a repeat of the Finale.

Is Airy inside!? But, how do we...

Which makes sense: unbeknownst to the party, they're repeating what happened back then.

Only this time, Airy's big reveal resulted in her getting beaten up rather than the party's death and subsequent resurrection by the angel.

Alright, if everyone's ready, let's go after Airy!

The party gathers around the portal and pauses, steeling themselves.

I think I'll carry on with my father's wishes.

As a vestal of the crystals, I intend to keep guiding the faithful.

...Hee hee.

What's so funny, Agnès?

Well, I am the wind vestal and a follower of Crystalism. And you...you are the daughter of the great Braev the Templar, and naturally an adherent of Anticrystalism.

It seems strange that we would journey so far together, but in the end, return to lives naturally opposed.

Well, I for one intend to put concepts like Crystalism and Anticrystalism in the past!

Really!?

Yes, I've made up my mind. I will seek to make the world a better place--a world where we don't need to oppose each other. I believe that is the sort of world my father really sought.

...Edea... I think so, too.

Ringabel, what will you do?

What else? Continue my never-ending quest to find my ideal woman.

Besides, I don't have anywhere to go back to.

Come live in Eternia!

Don't worry, I'll put in a good word for you.

Hmm... It might be nice to have somewhere I could call home.

What about you, Tiz?

Me? Oh, umm...

Once our adventure is over... I think I'll return to Norende Village to live out the rest of my life in peace.

Rather humdrum, huh?

No, it's neither humdrum nor extraordinary.

That's right, Tiz.

I will be sure to come visit you in Norende, Tiz.

...Once this is all done.

Far from humdrum, any sheep-eating goblins would have no chance against Tiz the Shepherd/Former God-Destroyer.

The party passes through the portal together. Meanwhile, far above:

For the eleven hundred million years since I was spawned of You, I have existed solely for Your glory and--

Far off in the distance, we hear the sound of a portal activate.

In the Finale, Airy came here after killing the party. This time, she came here hoping to escape the party.

Lord Ouroboros! They come! The warriors of light are upon me! Your faithful servant is in grave peril! Hear my plea! I beg You!

We switch away from Airy to the party's trek through the Dark Aurora dungeon.

The treasures are still looted from last time, so they beeline to the top. As they travel, Airy continues her prayer:

A glow surrounds the tiny fairy.

What!? Then I am to be granted my ultimate form?

Oh, Lord Ouroboros be praised!

Just how many forms does Airy have? She's been a bug larva monster...

Then some sort of pupa monster... Wait a sec.

As the party climbs ever higher...

...Airy receives her newest gift from her master.

Ohhhhhh...!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Magnificent! Miraculous! Astounding! This is the power of my Lord Ouroboros!

The party comes upon Airy in her final form, the inevitable conclusion of a bug masquerading as a fairy.

Airy...is that you!?

That's right. Feast your eyes upon perfection as bestowed by Lord Ouroboros! Now you will know the might of my true and perfect form!

In the end, Airy doesn't even pretend to have cared about the party. All she's ever done was in pursuit of beauty and power, no matter the cost to others.

This version of Airy has a new moveset, doing stat effects and debuffs to compliment her large fire attack.

It's the epitome of where Airy's delusions have gotten her: using fire against the party, denying the fact she's still a bug and therefore weak to fire.

Unfortunately, once you bring her down to 0 HP, she recovers to full.

Wh-what's this!? My Lord, I am forever in your debt!

Lord Ouroboros himself is watching over her this battle. He won't let his newly evolved servant die quite so easily.

But it's fine. We'll just bring her down again.

Lord Ouroboros, I beseech You!

Ugggh

Ha ha ha ha! I am invincible!

Airy and Ouroboros may be able to go on forever, but so can the party. Still, I'd really rather not.

Once again, a one and a two and a

Lord Ouroboros, I must call on You--

Phew! Looks like we're not the only ones bored with this fight.

No, You Malevolence. Please! Lord Ourob--

Airy's dragged backwards, out of the fight.

Why, Your...Malevolence? You are most...unkind-- Aaaaaah...!

Airy's pulled away into the light, out of sight.

Seconds later, the party hears terrible, crunching, grinding noises. And so ends Airy. :stonkhat:

What's happening?

I know not...

Huh?

Ah!!

Even in her final perfect form, she was merely a bug for Ouroboros to dispose of at will.

When the party comes to, they're back at the other side of the empty arena.

Wait -- is it empty? Who's that in front of the altar?

This is the last chance the player has to save the game. This is it, folks.

In the Finale, Airy was the final boss. This time, she was just the warm up.

It looks like...Tiz!

Whatever it is, it's heading this way!

The Tiz approaches and looks down at itself.

Are you Ouroboros!?

Call me what you will. I did not anticipate Airy's defeat. You creatures intrigue me.

So it is that I take this cumbrous form. Now, ask me what you will.

Just who are--

The thing glances at Edea, its form switching instantly.

Every time Ouroboros answers, it switches to the form of the person it's looking at.

How did Airy fit into your plan!?

She gathered the strength I need to breach the Celestial Realm. This, too, was explained. Next.

What is the Celestial Realm?

As the name implies, it is the realm of the gods.

Why do you seek to invade it?

So the Celestial Realm is Luxendarc's heaven, which isn't too surprising. What is surprising is that it was never mentioned until The End in spite of its importance.

It knows no war or strife. There exists no greater bore. No duller prison.

... Ah, now I see.

You whose form I now take... A celestial lurks within you.

But this revelation isn't new. The first hint we got was way, way back in Entry 37, facing off against the insane Mephilia:

Entry 37 posted:

Inside you... I see it... It's there...

There have been a few hints since, but never explained, and so few and far between it was all too easy to forget.

Has this little charade served to ease your weariness?

I shall bring your realm chaos. Hatred, fear, jealousy, corruption, brutality... Excitement.

Airy has interlinked myriad worlds, sowing a bounty of indignation and despair to fuel my conquest.

So, after your faithful servant worked tirelessly for you, her reward was to be devoured!?

Hmm... I see that I must put this in terms that one of your kind might fathom.

Wait, is he claiming Luxendarc had no bad things until Airy came along? Either Airy did an earlier pass of the worlds way, way back, or Ouroboros here is really out of the loop about how chaotic life is.

Surprise! His Malevolence is not a great boss

What further use has one for cattle claimed by age or injury, save to be eaten?

Cattle!?

Yes. The suffering of such a beast bears no change upon its fate, nor does its loyalty.

No matter how great her reverence for me, she was but a morsel for my nourishment.

...Monstrous...

It is the same for what you call your world...

You, with the power to draw strength from the crystals!

You, who saw through Airy's machinations!

You, driven by an inconsequential sense of righteousness...

You are naught but the meal before my heavenly assault commences.

Flavorless are these mortal forms. It is time for you to become a part of my flesh.

So begins the final battle.

...Round one. I mean, this is a JRPG.

This is not really a fight. Ouroboros continues mimicking the party by using job abilities.

He isn't very powerful and doesn't do anything on the level of the other bosses we've fought. We do find out he's a dragon, though!

Once he reaches critical health he pulls out from the fight.

If he's this surprised and amused by four residents of Luxendarc, maybe he's being a bit too hasty in destroying all the worlds.

He's less an omnipresent god, more an overgrown kid wrecking things he doesn't understand, using boredom as an excuse.

No wonder the Celestial Realm doesn't want anything to do with this arrogant edgelord.

And now, victory in sight, he's pulled us in to see his true self and show off before he starts his big villain plan.

We'll see how well that goes for him.

He attacks by doing lots of hand jiving. Double the hands, double the jiving.

Checking Ouroboros's vitals reveals he's not just a dragon, he's also vulnerable to water. His relation to the elemental dragons guarding DeRosso's castle is unknown.

His spell Zero Dimension will wreck your day if it hits, and this time, Stillness won't block it.

Fairy Ward, however, will, because it's classed as a status effect rather than a physical or magical attack.

Then Ouroboros, Destroyer of the Multiverse, Dragon of Doom, He of Many Hands, gets frustrated and tries to bonk you on the head.

Which doesn't work either because the party still has Stillness up.

He takes two actions every turn: one attack and then this.

Total Regeneration gives him a full heal every turn. Which means if you aren't prepared, you might find the battle dragging on and--

This is but child's play. I grow bored.

Fine.

Smack Ouroboros down to half health within one turn to end this phase of the battle.

The impact of the party's damage breaks the dragon's face parts.

It appears Ouroboros isn't as invincible as he thought.

But it's only a temporary solution. We need more power!

Suddenly, DeRosso.

Next: Ouroboros and the Plot Make a Mistake

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
To the Final Battle
Airy's Plea
The Ultimate Form?
Metamorphosis
Airy, Perfected
Airy's Demise
I Am Ouroboros
The Infernal Realm

Party Chat:
Once This is All Done...

D's Journal: Airy posted:

The ominous light seeping from the Altar of Darkness revived Airy's ultimate form time and again. Just as we despaired at the endless struggle before us, the light disappeared, and Airy was devoured by the one called Ouroboros.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Perfect Airy is the reason the third battle theme is called Wicked Flight, of course. Incidentally, that song was also used in the Theatrhythm: Curtain Call.

Also, have I mentioned that it's really lame that we don't get to be Airy's friend or redeem her in the end when her master makes it clear he doesn't care about her? Instead she just ends up being a snack for Ouroboros. :smith:

That being said, while Ouroboros is just a "Woo, I love being evil for the sake of being evil" villain, I do love how much of a sassy bitch he is to the party.

Greyarc posted:

No matter how great her reverence for me, she was but a morsel for my nourishment.

You are naught but the meal before my heavenly assault commences.

I also love how he takes the appearance of notorious glutton Edea when talking about how everyone is food to him. :allears:

Zero Dimension is an instant death spell, incidentally. Despite that, getting hit by it does not count as him dealing damage to you, so you can still wind up getting a Perfect Battle achievement (or whatever it's called) at the end of the fight, as I found out when I did this battle.

Anyway, I would love to link the final boss theme right now... but I'm not going to until the next update. In the meanwhile, have these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCa17qVOTNM (You are My Hope - Tiz's Theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVSrT5gC_NE (Wind's Course - Agnès' Theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXfl0EIvxw (Baby Bird - Edea's Theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl363Wh4ghU (Love's Vagrant - Ringabel's Theme)

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 29, 2019

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like how Ouroborous' dialogue makes it clear he thinks he's talking to a bunch of complete imbeciles.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, he's not wrong.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pureauthor posted:

I like how Ouroborous' dialogue makes it clear he thinks he's talking to a bunch of complete imbeciles.

Well, like, is he wrong?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I feel not enough attention is being given to the final Airy form and her ridiculous Acedia/Zeta Flare combo spam.

Also does the final boss music already play at this point? I cant remember. I really liked both battles though.

edit: it does, the first phase at least. Its really awesome too.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 29, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Goddamnit, DeRosso. We were in the middle of something here.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, have I mentioned that it's really lame that we don't get to be Airy's friend or redeem her in the end when her master makes it clear he doesn't care about her? Instead she just ends up being a snack for Ouroboros. :smith:

Eh, I'd find it cheap if Airy just got a quick \Power of Friendship/ redemption considering she personally slaughtered the party in Ringabel's home dimension and countless others during the cycles.

Some villains just need to be complete assholes with no redeeming qualities.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I do tire of the 'boss kills underling' trope.

Though at least Ouroboros did it less because of EEEEVIL and more because of his insane god farmer > cattle logic.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
11 million years of service gets you 2 free heals.

The benefits package is terrible.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Okay, I'll bite: how and why does Tiz have a celestial hitching a ride in his body? And who or what is it, anyway? I'd guess it's this angel we keep hearing about - mostly because I just can't recall any other celestial-type characters that have come up - but I'd have expected that one to be in Agnes since it shares her appearance.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

DGM_2 posted:

Okay, I'll bite: how and why does Tiz have a celestial hitching a ride in his body?

I believe that will be kinda explained either later on or in the sequel - although we might have gotten some hints already.

DGM_2 posted:

And who or what is it, anyway?

In order to (hopefully) not spoil anything I'll just remember you of the beginning of the game.

quote:

And later:

quote:

I beg of you.
Become my warrior of light!

Agnés' scene is an AR movie and it is very, very likely neither of these scenes are directed at Tiz since he never talks about some sort of strange dream while he was out after World 1 Norende vanished.

So this... infers certain things.
Also, just for humours' sake, remember what kind of world the summons in Bravely Default come from.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Eh, I'd find it cheap if Airy just got a quick \Power of Friendship/ redemption considering she personally slaughtered the party in Ringabel's home dimension and countless others during the cycles.

True, it'd be pretty cheap for Airy to get some kind of half-assed redemption just because (shock horror) his malevolence turns out to be kind of a bad dude. Especially since the game makes it clear Airy's a several millions year old eldritch horror herself whose pretty inhuman. (Which I actually quite like, despite how much I kind of also want to see Airy's evil played for laughs.)

It would have been interesting for her to survive though. Mostly because what does an evil-demon-bug fairy even do when her entire reason for existence for the last eleven hundred million years disappears in an instant? [ii]That[/i] would have been interesting to see, though would probably require better writing than we've seen thus far.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

I really like the design of Airy's final form more than her first "non-demonic" form, honesty. The placement of the wings makes it look like a crown or headdress. It's always kinda weird to see something like a strapless dress and thigh highs in a fantasy setting...

also loooking at it more now it could also be like seraph wings, but sort of a subversion of it? Final fantasy games do have a habit of sticking divine symbols on bosses after all

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

DGM_2 posted:

Okay, I'll bite: how and why does Tiz have a celestial hitching a ride in his body? And who or what is it, anyway? I'd guess it's this angel we keep hearing about - mostly because I just can't recall any other celestial-type characters that have come up - but I'd have expected that one to be in Agnes since it shares her appearance.

This is going to be explained later and is why I strongly buy that BD's plot is more coherent than it appears. (Although still not great)

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Pureauthor posted:

11 million years of service gets you 2 free heals.

The benefits package is terrible.

Eleven-hundred Million actually.
So, 1.1 BILLION years.
No wonder Airy is completely over the party's poo poo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And then there’s all of the years that she likely had to spend dormant because she wasn’t fast enough to stop the party from breaking a crystal before she got through with slaughtering them.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

In honor of the all-too-brief musical meme we had going earlier - and with suspicions that my crippling lack of sleep may be affecting my judgement - I now present an official press release from the Warriors of Light:

==========================================================================================
- to the tune of "Eat the Rich," with apologies to Aerosmith

~Well we all woke up this morning~
~On the wrong side of the bed~
~And how we got to thinkin'~
~About all those things you said~

~About how you went and killed us~
~Time and time again~
~And all that time you went and lied~
~And called yo'self a friend~

~'Cause we're a sick of how you used us'~
~Across so many worlds~
~And we're sick of all your bitchin'~
~Now that your plan's unfurled~

~And we just can't see no humour~
~About your way of life~
~And we think your Lord can do more for you~
~With that there fork and knife~

[Chorus:]
~EAT THE BITCH~
~There's only one thing that she's good for~
~EAT THE BITCH~
~Take one bite now - come back for more~
~EAT THE BITCH~
~We gotta get this off our chests~
~EAT THE BITCH~
~Take one bite now, spit out the rest~

==========================================================================================

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 30, 2019

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

CmdrKing posted:

So, 1.1 BILLION years.

There are more full heals than our gracious host showed on screen, but still it's not that many. Four at most, if I remember.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For this fight? I only recall Airy getting healed to full twice by Ouroboros. Unless Airy getting healed to full in her pupa form was also supposed to be from him as well.

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

CmdrKing posted:

So, 1.1 BILLION years.

Frankly, is there *anything* that would be worth 1.1 billion years of effort? And good lord, was all of that spent repeating the same several-month cycle ad infinitum? Considering that Airy is evidently a nigh immortal being, with power enough that she likely could have conquered the world on her own if she gave it a try, she really should have weighed her options a little more carefully.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Zinco posted:

Frankly, is there *anything* that would be worth 1.1 billion years of effort?

Maybe she grew bored after a few hundred years and spent a few millenia torturing mortals before continuing her work and repeated that over and over. That would at least cut down her work time significantly.
That might be why Ouroborus munched her after a few heals - Airy is actually lazy and he grew tired of her poo poo.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm willing to forgive a lot of flight turbulence and poor execution if a story with a sufficiently cool concept manages to stick the landing.

You've got my rapt attention here.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Zinco posted:

she really should have weighed her options a little more carefully.

Luxendarc's rule about how no one applies critical thinking or communication alao applies to its dark elder gods plotting to destroy everything.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
With regards to Airy doing all this for Ouroboros

I am pretty sure the manga didnt even reference Ouroboros (neither does Airy use her final 2 forms)

(Still technically has spoilers for the end of the game tho)

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

By the way, if anyone wants to talk about/show off the Nemeses bosses, go on ahead. It doesn't look like I'll have a chance to get around to them.

(Also I want to hit the next page)

DGM_2 posted:

In honor of the all-too-brief musical meme we had going earlier - and with suspicions that my crippling lack of sleep may be affecting my judgement - I now present an official press release from the Warriors of Light:
:golfclap:

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

It would have been interesting for her to survive though. Mostly because what does an evil-demon-bug fairy even do when her entire reason for existence for the last eleven hundred million years disappears in an instant? That would have been interesting to see, though would probably require better writing than we've seen thus far.
Agreed.

On that note, I did like that Braev doesn't die at the end of chapter 4 and that there's an option to stop Kamiizumi's suicide-by-party. Unfortunately even if they survive, the Eternians barely, if ever, acknowledge their mistakes. Kamiizumi literally walks away from it all like it's no big deal.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Greyarc posted:

Unfortunately even if they survive, the Eternians barely, if ever, acknowledge their mistakes. Kamiizumi literally walks away from it all like it's no big deal.

That's because they are still just throw-away villians. The game recycles them over and over but the constant world jumping doesn't allow for some actual character development and introspection.
And while they could still go the "I got beaten up and now I see that everything I did in my entire life was a mistake" route I'm kind of happy that they didn't because that trope is so incredibly overused.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Moving to a new post!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 31, 2019

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the nemeses bosses was where i hoped off the ride, i liked a lot of the online connectivity aspects but that was one system that just didn't engage me

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh boy, it's time for more :eng101:

So the Nemeses are basically enemies that alternate between a normal boss in difficulty or a superboss. Some don't have difficulty adjustments, IIRC.

Nemeses are obtained at random intervals, as well as sent by other players via Streetpass. Defeating a Nemesis causes it to disappear, and if the Nemesis was obtained via StreetPass, causes a villager to appear in Norende.

Nemesis bosses will drop stat-increasing items called "Buns". Lower level Nemesis will drop single stat buns that increase single stats, while the stronger, rarer Nemesis will drop Unearthly Buns which increase all stats. Once a type of Nemesis has dropped a type of bun the drop rate is much lower when encountered again.

Anyway, they come in three varieties!

- Enemies (typically Asterisk Bosses) that are powered up or just drop bigger rewards.
- Two teaser bosses for Bravely Second. They have their own boss music I won't link to because it's from the sequel!
- Seven important bosses from 4HoL.

I believe the former two just have flat difficulty levels.

But the seven bosses from 4HoL are seven demons who answer to the main villain of that game. I'll try to be as vague as possible in case anyone is following that LP. (It's still ongoing, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vae3ozdKPc

If you've listened to the music for 4HoL, you'll notice this battle theme is a rearrange of the random battle and normal boss themes. But not the boss theme actually used for these guys in the original game, oddly enough!

The demons also have four special Genome Drain skills exclusive to them that are not part of the journal.

- Lucifer: Not sure if it's ever mentioned in the source game, but I believe he's the leader of this mob of jerks. He uses a lot of physical attacks, uses Arrogance to debuff the party's stats while raising his own, and also is the only boss in-game that can teach the Genome Aeroja.

- Asmodeus: Typically uses status effects, primarily Charming the whole party with Lust. Can also remove party members from battle and use Thundaja.

- Mammon: The only girl of the group. Steals your BP with Avarice and also has other abilities to yank your stats. Can also use Blizzaja.

- Leviathan: No, not that one. Alternates between two modes that are immune to either physical (air) or magical (ground) damage, uses Envy to weaken your offense and defense, and also has a lot of Death based skills. Can also use Blizzaja.

- Belphegor: Lazy jerk who typically has his three kamikaze adds attack you or uses Sloth to give you a bunch of elemental weaknesses and dispel your buffs. However, he can also use Firaja, Blizzaja, AND Thundaja, making him very valuable.

- Beelzebub: Tries to inflict Confuse and Stop, but his main deal is using Gluttony to make all damage heal him instead. If you heal him too much, though, he has HP overflow and either damages or kills himself. It's great. Can also use Firaja.

- Satan: The only one without a Genome. He uses Wrath to try and Berserk the whole party, which pairs well with his passive Revenge ability from the Red Mage job. His attacks are four Battle Blade abilities that he uses depending on how much BP he has. If he has 3 BP, he will use the whole combo, which will probably kill your party. Battle Blade I hits one character at the start of the turn, I think, II is a party attack, III halves the party's HP(?), and then IV just hits everyone for 9999.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

What do you mean obtained at regular intervals? Do you just randomly encounter them or do they have a special menu?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

When you Streetpass, you'll transmit a Nemesis and also pick one up.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
...of course the only one that is identifiably female is the one that's basically a normal woman tacked onto some monster hands.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr Subterfuge posted:

...of course the only one that is identifiably female is the one that's basically a normal woman tacked onto some monster hands.

She seems partial based on Buer along with having the Fox traits

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The 4HOL remix is incredible.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

As I recall, those Genomes make Vampire the One True Mage, able to bust out the damage cap whenever they drat well feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

As I recall, those Genomes make Vampire the One True Mage, able to bust out the damage cap whenever they drat well feel like it.

The problem with these Genomes is that they have a really high MP cost (I think it's 99 MP for all of them.) And there are far better ways to reach the damage cap without exhausting your entire MP pool. Also magic isn't really that great in Bravely Default.