Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

orcane posted:

Alexios is fine too.

:wrong:

Alexios is the perfect Deimos, Kass is the perfect protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody check out the newest Lost Tales of Greece DLC? Nothing too special, but it does feature the triumphant return of Alkibiades and the inevitable many double-entendres.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Double entree? Every time I met him he was the main course.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

exquisite tea posted:

Well, at the very least this page has revealed that the extremely obvious big bad twist that I thought everybody would see coming from a mile away is not so apparent.
In fairness by the time you reach that ending you might not have seen that character for a million hours. It didn’t even immediately register with me who she was.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Now I feel dumb. I was legitimately surprised when the ghost's identity was revealed. Also, I believed them because I am an easy mark apparently.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My guess is that the real ghost is the friends we made along the way, in an Orient Express-esque twist

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

orcane posted:

Alexios is fine too.

He's fine, but that's about it. He has a meatheaded charm, but Kassandra's voice actress seems more natural and has more range from what I've seen.

That said, Alexios's delivery had me legitimately cracking up during 'The Show Must Go On' Lost Tale of Greece quest - at the end, when he's coerced into playing Leonidas in the play.

"It's... my DESTINY!" :shepface:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Malaka, the troll of Andros bay strikes again.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Differo Cathedra posted:

Now I feel dumb. I was legitimately surprised when the ghost's identity was revealed. Also, I believed them because I am an easy mark apparently.

I mean if you don't actually read all the clues what she says sounds reasonable. The little hint blurbs convey nothing about her personality. It's pretty :catstare: when you read what she wrote them though.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Alexios' voice actor seemed like a fun, charming guy in that video of the two va's exploring around Greece. Does he not bring that same charm to the role?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Viridiant posted:

Alexios' voice actor seemed like a fun, charming guy in that video of the two va's exploring around Greece. Does he not bring that same charm to the role?

I think he does, but he’s going for a more rogueish tone that can come across as glib. Kassandra’s VA pulls off slightly smug confidence with more charm.

I played about 30 hours as Alexios and restarted as Kassandra and have about 45 hours as her. I prefer Kass as the PC by a fair bit, but I think people are kind of overstating how much better she is.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Viridiant posted:

Not really, no. Unfortunately the voice direction in this game isn't great, often it's unclear if the VAs even knew exactly what the context for their lines was.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

bike tory posted:

Not really, no. Unfortunately the voice direction in this game isn't great, often it's unclear if the VAs even knew exactly what the context for their lines was.
This really comes across when Socrates is preaching to a mob as if he’s addressing someone right next to him.

On that note, what the gently caress is it with games not being able to do crowd sounds right? Even in cutscenes the sounds don’t match up with what the crowd’s supposed to be reacting to and the choice of sound is often unsuitable, like four or five people gently clapping after a rousing speech.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 30, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's really clear that nobody was giving the voice actors any direction, which is odd because even the bad AC games never had this problem.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This game had me honestly impressed with wondering how many months and time it must take for VA’s to produce all those lines. There’s a million side quests and even tiny side encounters with random NPCs. It has to be a huge undertaking.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Blind Rasputin posted:

This game had me honestly impressed with wondering how many months and time it must take for VA’s to produce all those lines. There’s a million side quests and even tiny side encounters with random NPCs. It has to be a huge undertaking.

The VAs for Alexios and Kassandra have said that the entire process took months and months, because they were not only recording their own 10,000+ lines of dialogue, but also doing all the mo-cap for the game. The ensemble cast was so huge that a few different studios were working on it concurrently.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Is this still the worlds stupidest Greek game because you don’t get a shield?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think the spear is the reason you don't get a shield, it's always in your off hand when you do things and it's where it's stored on your back would be always covered by said shield in motion. It's very awkward to not have shields in a hoplite game though, that's definitely true.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Sokrates is my favorite VA of the game. I feel like the guy probably looked and dressed exactly like this. 100% goon. Also a hilarious scene (maybe tiny bit spoiler but not much)

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/meatbishop/video/68397716

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Mazz posted:

I think the spear is the reason you don't get a shield, it's always in your off hand when you do things and it's where it's stored on your back would be always covered by said shield in motion. It's very awkward to not have shields in a hoplite game though, that's definitely true.

Yeah that’s my understanding. I was hoping maybe it’s been released as an option via dlc or something. Thanks!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Sokrates is my favorite VA of the game. I feel like the guy probably looked and dressed exactly like this. 100% goon. Also a hilarious scene (maybe tiny bit spoiler but not much)

I like the discussions about morality with Socrates because my answers in game were completely out of sync with the gameplay:

"He should be free because he was trapped in a bad situation and his intentions were good!" *Goes on to murder thousands of people to score a badly made bow*

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

TheTrend posted:

Yeah that’s my understanding. I was hoping maybe it’s been released as an option via dlc or something. Thanks!

I would love to see that in DLC too, maybe as like a specific weapon loadout where you get a shield and instead the spear as your mainhand weapon, and the shield confers all the stats like anything else. It would be a stretch to make work with everything else though. Also it would kind of need its own ability tree for things like shield slams.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah without a shield we were playing second fiddle to Brasida’s fighting style the entire game.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
PSA: You can take tamed animals into conquest battles. Pretty amazing too.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Viridiant posted:

He's fine. Some of the tonal shifts in the dialogue are awkward, but I chalk that up with the choices we're allowed, to play brutal mercenary or more lighthearted.

He'll always lose out to the waifu status of femshepKass though.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Mazz posted:

PSA: You can take tamed animals into conquest battles. Pretty amazing too.

Game. Changer.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

How exactly do you do it? I’ve never tamed an animal but can you, say, tame an alpha lion and it will follow you all the way over to the conquest battle contact? Do the animals stay with you indefinitely?

That poo poo would be insanely rad.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You knock them out, tame them, and they follow you around attacking anything in combat with you for as long as you want AFAIK. You can tame alphas, and they seem to keep their HP/attacks just like your lieutenants do. They aren't the smartest but they have solid attacks and more importantly they only attack the dudes attacking you and will pull their attention off you, so you'll often fight 1 less guy at a time in conquest battles. They have pretty decent HP and damage too, at least the alpha wolf I brought did. They also seem to completely regen their HP when they break out of combat so if you get lucky it'll just full regen in the middle of the battle. They won't win the things themselves but they can do some good work. The best way to use them I found was to stick with them when picking out targets, if they break away too far they will get killed in time because soldiers attack faster. If you keep it moving and/or fight the same guy it is, it can easily live the whole thing and save you a bunch of adrenaline not having to shield break and such because the guys turn away from you to fight it.

They seem to teleport to you after things like boat travelling but it's very hit or miss, basically tame an animal in a zone and it'll stay with you till you quit or it dies, but it might disappear on fast travel or quest events that have long cutscenes or anything of the sort without much warning. But you can always just go back and get another one.

I need to tame an alpha bear still and see how they do, I assume pretty loving well given that double lunge attack is terrifying.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 31, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Keep in mind that capturing targets get tricky with an Alpha Lynx literally going beast mode on the poor jabroni. Then again, if you're like me, you end up using the friends you meet along the way as ship crew, so capture becomes less and less important.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I haven't messed with animal taming but I hope they add in a Revive Pet option by the time NG+ rolls around so I can roam freely with my best bear companion.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

They really should have just adopted Far Cry Primal's animal companion system.

Let me summon whatever animals I've tamed, let me revive them, let me heal them, and let me tell them where to go.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Most of all, let us pet them

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

isk posted:

Most of all, let us pet them

You can! Of course you can!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I’ve really only been using it for conquest battles (and only 2 at that), since the system is really basic. Some sort of basic command set like holding a key down to tell them to move or stay, or Far Cry’s system would be really nice. It’s another one of the things in this game that is really neat but probably ended up a bit too barebones because of the sheer scope of this game. Hopefully a patch/DLC will do a little more.

It does work fine though at a basic level and they aren’t useless pets at all, so it’s good on that front.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I'd be fine with just a way to revive downed pets because having wild boar to gently caress up some soldier's day is ideal but I don't wanna have to go through the tedium of finding another one when he eats a stray fire grenade.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The VAs for Alexios and Kassandra have said that the entire process took months and months, because they were not only recording their own 10,000+ lines of dialogue, but also doing all the mo-cap for the game. The ensemble cast was so huge that a few different studios were working on it concurrently.

But they didn't actually record ensemble did they? I know the VAs for Alexios and Kassandra did, but I don't think they had the various other VAs who were voicing NPCs in the studio with them at the same time. If they did then there's no real explanation for the jankiness of a lot of dialogue.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No, like most games the parts were recorded separately, although sometimes Alexios/Kass did get to hear who they were recording against first.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Sometimes I imagine these VAs recording the lines like, with a headset on while just doing other normal things around the house. Like Alexios’ VA reading lines off a script while watching the game or driving to his job, or kassandra’s VA saying lines into the headset while holding her kid and cooking in the kitchen. It’s a full time job, I’m sure.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I don't know how many forest fires I caused in this game, I just toss torches all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Sometimes I imagine these VAs recording the lines like, with a headset on while just doing other normal things around the house. Like Alexios’ VA reading lines off a script while watching the game or driving to his job, or kassandra’s VA saying lines into the headset while holding her kid and cooking in the kitchen. It’s a full time job, I’m sure.

Sir, this is the mcdonalds drive thru.

we had 10 pages earlier about a similar topic that I'd rather not have again. quit trolling

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 1, 2019