Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I don't know if it's sad or hilarious that whoever made the game store section of Toy Box doesn't want game prices to go below $40.00...unless it's a strategy guide. It isn't some clever dig at Gamestop now would it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

DrManiac posted:

the no final fantasy characters thing is loving weird. I understand not wanting to lean on them but some were Sora’s friend and it’s off putting there’s not even a passing mention when even more minor characters get shout outs.

It’s a real downer for me finding this out tbh, wish I knew before I bought the game as the ff stuff is a big draw for me.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Iverron posted:

The world is fine, the robots suck rear end.

It gave us Mecha va. Dragons. The robots are awesome.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Frozen world was getting very tiresome until I got a new party member :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
doesn't feel like Flowmotion has much of a point in this one other than the wall-running mechanic

if you can't zip around everywhere like a pinball on uppers then all you've really got is a slightly clunky air-dash

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm really disappointed in how easy the game is on proud mode.

i think it is not easy as much as seasoned kingdom hearts gamers are used to this sort of thing. with that said though i am patiently awaiting a final mix patch that adds crit and like 20 superbosses

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Did they change how frequently the attractions appear in the last patch? They went from popping up multiple times in every fight to maybe once every two fights.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

i think it is not easy as much as seasoned kingdom hearts gamers are used to this sort of thing.

the previous games didn't give you a steady stream of new moves that amounted to "gently caress me? gently caress me? no, gently caress you. invincible pirate ship to the face"

they try to compensate by significantly upping the numbers of heartless per encounter and also making them more spread-out so you can't nuke them all at once, but it doesn't matter much when KH3 gives you the equivalent of Thundaga right off the bat

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Do you actually get upgraded versions of spells to use on demand later on or can you only get upgraded spells from reaction commands by using the lower level ones repeatedly

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Do you actually get upgraded versions of spells to use on demand later on or can you only get upgraded spells from reaction commands by using the lower level ones repeatedly

You unlock -a upgrades later yeah. Not sure about -aga spells yet other than reaction commands

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shoehead posted:

You unlock -a upgrades later yeah. Not sure about -aga spells yet other than reaction commands

Cool thanks. I just beat Toy Box last night, the game owns

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there anyway to change the difficulty? I started on Standard and kinda struggled in the beginning, but then it just turns out I was shaking the rust off and I'm now cruising through the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there anyway to change the difficulty? I started on Standard and kinda struggled in the beginning, but then it just turns out I was shaking the rust off and I'm now cruising through the game.

Nope. The game warned you, man!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Unless you want to start a new game from scratch then no, you're stuck with what you chose just like every other Kingdom Hearts game except Coded.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Go to Frozen before you go to Monsters Inc when you're level 18 and never use fire magic

It's a loving nightmare but it really makes you appreciate all of the hurt options you have

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

DrManiac posted:

the no final fantasy characters thing is loving weird. I understand not wanting to lean on them but some were Sora’s friend and it’s off putting there’s not even a passing mention when even more minor characters get shout outs.

Cloud/Auron/Zach all get shout outs in Olympus, at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Klungar posted:

Cloud/Auron/Zach all get shout outs in Olympus, at least.

Also a Cactuar makes a cameo in Toy Box (Verum Rex may be a FF reference as well but I'm not completely certain).

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I beat the first world last night. Other than the last boss fight feeling a little wonky, I am really enjoying the game thus far.

I appreciate that Nomura snuck a visual metaphor for the series in the opening cinematic, where the game of chess is played straight forward except the board is needlessly 3D

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Larryb posted:

Also a Cactuar makes a cameo in Toy Box (Verum Rex may be a FF reference as well but I'm not completely certain).

There is actually a few more there. There is a whole wall of Final Fantasy Summon action figures in the toy store you save Rex at. Including Odin,Bahamut, and Ifrit.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Is there a list of the max stats and skills for each keyblade yet? Googling just turns up the usual gaming website garbage.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

the previous games didn't give you a steady stream of new moves that amounted to "gently caress me? gently caress me? no, gently caress you. invincible pirate ship to the face"

they try to compensate by significantly upping the numbers of heartless per encounter and also making them more spread-out so you can't nuke them all at once, but it doesn't matter much when KH3 gives you the equivalent of Thundaga right off the bat

the attraction flow is a problem yeah, the rate at which it arrives is way too high. i wish i could turn it off

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah I brought that up before and someone called me a KH newb. After getting even further in the game I think they must have just been projecting, because you have to be really bad at video games to have any issues in this game.

There essentially is no agency in the gameplay. It's just a series of cut-scene and quick time event special attacks. I honestly spend more time in triangle based attacks then I do regular combat, and while the enemies appearances have changed throughout the game, there is no functional difference between any of them, as I have not had to alter my approach at all.

I gave my friend who doesn't own any video game consoles a controller for a set piece fight at the end of the 6th world and told him to just press X and triangle when prompted, and he won the fight easily without having to block, dodge, or heal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So do any of the bosses later on actually put up a decent fight or can you more or less just win every match by mashing X and Triangle?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
WOW the title card animation for the Monsters Inc world :discourse: they went all out on recreating the movie's title sequence

edit: The guys they recast for Mike and Sully are REALLY loving accurate. ESPECIALLY Sully holy poo poo, that may as well be John Goodman

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
None of the bosses been too bad outside of the Demon Tower, but I died a few times to the Reaper enemies.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Yeah I brought that up before and someone called me a KH newb. After getting even further in the game I think they must have just been projecting, because you have to be really bad at video games to have any issues in this game.

There essentially is no agency in the gameplay. It's just a series of cut-scene and quick time event special attacks. I honestly spend more time in triangle based attacks then I do regular combat, and while the enemies appearances have changed throughout the game, there is no functional difference between any of them, as I have not had to alter my approach at all.

I gave my friend who doesn't own any video game consoles a controller for a set piece fight at the end of the 6th world and told him to just press X and triangle when prompted, and he won the fight easily without having to block, dodge, or heal.

mind you, this isn't exactly different from what every other game eventually turned into, which was just thunder + magnet with a sprinkling of other overpowered attacks for giggles

in that respect KH3 just gives you the really potent stuff right off the bat, which eliminates even the pretense of a difficulty curve but still doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

So do any of the bosses later on actually put up a decent fight or can you more or less just win every match by mashing X and Triangle?

the late game bosses are apparently pretty tough

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Monstropolis boss can gently caress you up, so can the Arendelle boss.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's something kind of magical about being able to run around it he actual scare floor, or Andy's bedroom, or the Tangled's kingdom streets. KH 1 and 2 never recreated the sets quite like this game is

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

There's something kind of magical about being able to run around it he actual scare floor, or Andy's bedroom, or the Tangled's kingdom streets. KH 1 and 2 never recreated the sets quite like this game is

yeah the level design is everything i wanted from this series from the beginning

actual NPC's! secret areas! multiple locales! heartless fruitlessly trying to exploit the terrain!

also some of these hidden mickeys are just mean with how well they're concealed

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I have to say, it's nice to see Disney characters take more actual agency when some Org anime shows up and starts mucking with things.

It makes them feel slightly less unimportant to the grand scheme of things and that they weren't just an afterthought.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ooof Randall, your voice is not up to the quality of Mike and Sully

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Macaluso posted:

The cutscenes are much more lively and lovingly crafted too. Compare stuff like the scene with the lanterns taking off in Corona to the limp, lifeless face-off between Simba and Scar in KH2. Instead of just recreating the plot beats they’re now also recreating the artistry and charm of these movies too.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 31, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Maybe this is me being a jaded adult but I also found the social media stuff super lame.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DrManiac posted:

Maybe this is me being a jaded adult but I also found the social media stuff super lame.

It’s really silly and fun actually

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Late game story spoilers: I loving yelled out at ”No, let me handle this” and getting to control Aqua again. This is hype as hell

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think my only problem with the game so far difficulty aside is that the story feels more aimless than usual.

I'm enjoying Monsteropolis or whatever but uh, why am I here? Why was I in the frozen place? What does it have to do with the power of waking that I need to get? KH has always been kind of bad about this but given this is the supposed finale of this Xehanort junk it just makes it feel like pointless filler

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

DrManiac posted:

it is so goofy and fun and i love it. i was trying to take a picture of an emblem and goofy started posing and thats why kingdom hearts 3 is the game of the year

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think my only problem with the game so far difficulty aside is that the story feels more aimless than usual.

I'm enjoying Monsteropolis or whatever but uh, why am I here? Why was I in the frozen place? What does it have to do with the power of waking that I need to get? KH has always been kind of bad about this but given this is the supposed finale of this Xehanort junk it just makes it feel like pointless filler

because its sora. of course he goes to random disney worlds to have fun. he has done this every single game... why are you surprised?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pog boyfriend posted:

it is so goofy and fun and i love it. i was trying to take a picture of an emblem and goofy started posing and thats why kingdom hearts 3 is the game of the year

because its sora. of course he goes to random disney worlds to have fun. he has done this every single game... why are you surprised?

Because this game is supposed to be the climax and it feels like there's absolutely no stakes in anything because nobody feels like they're in any danger. When it's KH1 and Sora's goofing around I can get behind it. DDD had the excuse that these worlds were all sleeping and waking them was part of his test. BBS was a retread of KH1 with characters exploring worlds hunting people down.

This one sora just kinda goes to frozen land and "I'm here now" with no provocation so it feels weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yen Sid sent Sora off to level grind while Mickey and Riku work on things.